PDA

View Full Version : Thog's dwarven daughter

happyturtle
2008-04-03, 07:08 AM
Remember when Thog had a dwarven puppy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0142.html)? Well I've given him a dwarven daughter.

This either happens after Thog stops adventuring with the Linear Guild or perhaps in an alternate universe. A family of dwarves is caught in a flash flood. Mum and Dad can't escape, but they assemble a makeshift raft and attach their baby to it. Of course they hang on to the very last minute and only let go when it is clear that they are about to be drowned. They die, but the baby is swept downstream and eventually is discovered by everyone's favourite half-orc barbarian. :thog:

Thog, of course, decides to keep her. And being the super creative guy that he is, he names her Baby. Had Baby been any other race, she almost certainly wouldn't have survived Thog's parenting, but she survived and grew up among his tribe of orcs and half-orcs, learning to hold her own with the orc children and in the fights with her dad. She is fiercely loyal to her orc tribe and has no desire to rejoin dwarf society.

Baby's stats:

Fighter4/barbarian9
stats Str 24 (inc +4 item) Dex 13, Con 20, Int 8 Wis 12, Cha 8

chain shirt +2, Ring of protection +2, Greataxe of frost +2, 10 masterwork throwing hammers, cloak of resistance +1, boots of striding and springing, belt of giant strength +4, and a selection of potions: feats : power attack, cleave, Leap attack, Improved bull rush, power charge, weapon focus greataxe, Weapon specialization greataxe (Personally I think the int is a little high--I'm imagining she was a little brain damaged in the flood, but a friend did the build for me!)

Baby's history (according to her): Grumush and dwarf god fight over Baby. Dwarf god steal Baby, make Baby born in dwarf body. But Grumush tricky. Grumush know dwarves not like water and send flood. All real dwarves drown, but Baby not drown. Baby get washed away until Daddy Thog finds Baby. Daddy Thog not god, so no can make Baby look like orc. But Daddy Thog make Baby good orc in everything else. One day, if Baby fight good enough, Grumush will give Baby orc body.

Baby has cut off the end of her nose and uses powder with a green tint on her face and skin to attract the orc boys. With her charisma score, she thinks she's hot stuff, and always goes for the biggest toughest orc or half orc she meets. Her personality is similar to Thog's--she is generally cheerful and feels great affection for her friends.

Typical fight with dad:

"Thog tell Baby do dishes!" "Thog not boss of Baby!" "Baby live under Thog roof, do what Thog say!" "Baby go out with friends! Baby has life! Baby do dishes tomorrow!" "Baby do dishes now!" "Raawr!" "Raawr!"

Much later... "Dishes all broken now. Baby go meet friends." "Okay Baby. Daddy Thog loves Baby." "Baby loves Daddy Thog"

I'm playing her in a one off game on Saturday, but I think she's one of those characters I'll use whenever I can. :smallsmile:

riddles
2008-04-03, 07:10 AM
awesome. just spot on awesome.

[EDIT:] expect for the nose cutting off bit. that's a tad gruesome, unless she wants to be a cleric of gruumsh

Ascension
2008-04-03, 08:27 AM
I'd houserule it so that she counts as having orc blood for racial PrCs (like Eye of Grummsh).

Also, you really should work Frenzied Berserker in there.

Khanderas
2008-04-03, 08:36 AM
awesome. just spot on awesome.

[EDIT:] expect for the nose cutting off bit. that's a tad gruesome, unless she wants to be a cleric of gruumsh
She might view it as beautification, since she views herself as another orc lass.
Not much different from tatoos, piercings, or many modern day surgeries.

happyturtle
2008-04-03, 11:20 AM
She might view it as beautification, since she views herself as another orc lass.
Not much different from tatoos, piercings, or many modern day surgeries.

That's it exactly. She sees herself as an orc, and that extra cartilage on the end of her nose was an ugly growth to her. She had no more compunction about removing it than I would have about having a mole removed.

Kol Korran
2008-04-03, 12:18 PM
clapping... clapping some more... now going to find some green poweder and hit that short looking cheek. i like the temper on her!

good work, didn't read the stats, don't relay care, but i loved the idea!

Dervag
2008-04-03, 12:18 PM
That's it exactly. She sees herself as an orc, and that extra cartilage on the end of her nose was an ugly growth to her. She had no more compunction about removing it than I would have about having a mole removed.Or, more accurately, a massive wart on the tip of your nose.

happyturtle
2008-04-07, 07:15 AM
I played Baby over the weekend and it was a lot of fun! The DM said that our group had been adventuring together for years, so I had Baby asking the Crusader for permission before rushing in to things on her own--sort of a Nale-Thog dynamic, but without the needlessly complicated evil schemes. I figured they would have tossed her out of the group long ago if she hadn't learned to follow directions. :smallbiggrin: As my main character is a cloistered cleric with the Obscure Lore feat, plus ranks in every knowledge skill, it was nice playing a simple "Roar and leap" fighter/barbarian who let the rest of the party figure out where to go and what to do next.

My only complaint was my normal complaint about 3.5... even with requesting that my friend set up a barbarian that wouldn't require a lot of work to play, I still needed his help every time I rolled the dice to figure out what my bonuses were and what I needed to roll for damage. :smallmad:

seedjar
2008-04-07, 10:36 AM
"Thog tell Baby do dishes!" "Thog not boss of Baby!" "Baby live under Thog roof, do what Thog say!" "Baby go out with friends! Baby has life! Baby do dishes tomorrow!" "Baby do dishes now!" "Raawr!" "Raawr!"

[standing ovation]

Reminds me of living with my mom.
~Joe