PDA

View Full Version : I submit myself to the will of the council...

SamTheCleric
2008-04-03, 07:52 AM
Ok, so a friend of mine is writing the final interactive for the Principality of Ulek...and he's tapped me to playtest the final encounter. We have our Triad's permission to either bump existing characters to level 15... or to create a level 15 character from scratch.

It must be completely LG legal (meaning only Open access, as I wont have any certs) ...

Here's the thing... I gave up on my LG characters a few months back once I started back in college and had a baby... so I don't feel any need to play them.

I want you guys to come up with the most interesting, unique or fun-to-play character. It can vary to dairy-free to 800lbs of gouda. I just want to do something different.

I did think about doing 1 level in every base class... but I think that would gimp me far too much. :smallbiggrin:

Usable Base Classes: All PHB, Beguiler, Hexblade, Scout, Favored Soul, Knight, Swashbuckler, Healer, Marshal and Warmage.

Here is a list of all the Open prestige classes that I am able to use.

Open Prestige Classes
Animal Lord (CAd)
Arcane Hierophant (RW)
Argent Savant (CAr)
Battlesmith (RS)
Bear Warrior (CW)
Beastmaster (CAd)
Blade Bravo (RS)
Bladesinger (CW)
Bloodhound (CAd)
Cavalier (CW)
Champion of Corellon Larethian (RW)
Church Inquisitor (CD)
Cloaked Dancer (CS)
Combat Trapsmith (CS)
Consecrated Harrier (CD)
Contemplative (CD)
Cragtop Archer (RS)
Dark Hunter (CW)
Darkwood Stalker (CW)
Deepwarden (RS)
Dervish (CW)
Divine Crusader (CD)
Divine Oracle (CD)
Divine Prankster (RS)
Dungeon Delver (CAd)
Earth Dreamer (RS)
Elemental Savant (CAr)
Enlightened Fist (CAr)
Exemplar (CAd)
Exotic Weapon Master (CW)
Fatespinner (CAr)
Fochlucan Lyrist (CAd)
Fortune’s Friend (CS)
Geomancer (CD)
Geometer (CAr)
Gnome Giant-Slayer (CW)
Gray Guard (CS)
Halfling Outrider (CW)
Highland Stalker (CAd)
Holy Liberator (CD)
Holy Scourge (CM)
Hospitaler (CD)
Hunter of the Dead (CW)
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil (CAr)
Invisible Blade (CW)
Justiciar (CW)
Knight of the Chalice (CW)
Knight Protector (CW)
Lyric Thaumaturge (CM)
Master of the Unseen Hand (CW)
Master Thrower (CW)
Menacing Brute (RD)
Mindspy (CW)
Mountebank (CS)
Nature's Warrior (CW)
Nightmare Spinner (CM)
Occult Slayer (CW)
Ollam (CAd)
Order of the Bow Initiate (CW)
Outcast Champion (RD)
Pious Templar (CD)
Radiant Servant of Pelor (CD)
Rage Mage (CW)
Rainbow Servant (CD)
Reaping Mauler (CW)
Sacred Exorcist (CD)
Sacred Fist (CD)
Seeker of the Misty Isle (CD)
Seeker of the Song (CAr)
Shadowcraft Mage (RS)
Shining Blade of Heironeous (CD)
Streetfighter (CAd)
Spellsword (CW)
Spellwarp Sniper (CS)
Stonelord (CW)
Stormlord (CD)
Sublime Chord (CAr)
Tattooed Monk (CW)
Tempest (CAd)
Temple Raider of Olidammara (CD)
Thief-Acrobat (CAd)
Unseen Seer (CM)
Vigilante (CAd)
Virtuoso (CAd)
War Chanter (CW)
Warpriest (CD)
Warshaper (CW)
Whisperknife (RW)
Wild Plains Outrider (CAd)
Wild Soul (CM)
Wildrunner (RW)

Iku Rex
2008-04-03, 08:02 AM
It would help if you said what "LG legal"/open access meant.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-03, 08:03 AM
I'm working on that. I can't access the LGCS from the wizards site here at work. (It is on the wizards website under the RPGA.)

I have a friend getting me the Open Classes info so that I can throw 'em up here.

Iku Rex
2008-04-03, 08:06 AM
(Have you tried a proxy website like http://browseatwork.com/ ?)

SamTheCleric
2008-04-03, 08:09 AM
Ok, got it... updated the first post.

Keld Denar
2008-04-03, 08:16 AM
See, the thing about LG is...there are so many things that occur over the 80ish ARs that it takes a character to advance from 1-15 that its almost impossible to "recreate" an LG character. My own characters have numerous curses, favors, accesses, and just plain wierd stuff from about 6-7 different regions across the US. He doesn't have the cleave feat, but can make cleave attacks as if he had the cleave feat due to a curse he has. Unfortuanately, he's ALWAYS obiligated to take a cleave, and if there are no foes in reach, he has to take a cleave on an ally, NPC, animal companion, innocent bystander, etc. This is something that not a lot of people would have, and provides a decent mechanical advantage/disadvantage that can't be built around. Another curse turned his skin ink black, imposing penalties to cha based skills. It also grants permanant Endure Elements: Cold and Cold Resist3. Again, its minor, but not something that you can really design around.

Also, it depends on what the other players are bringing. Most LG encounters are written SPECIFICALLY for pretty balanced parties with at least the 4 iconic archtypes covered. If you don't know, it might be advisable to create a character that can cover 2 of the 4 archtypes. A rogue/fighter, rogue/wizard or fighter/wizard type would be very decent. Remember, LG tends to have no more than 3 encounters in a given day, so thats the magic number you are looking for for most /day abilities.

Also, crafting is king in LG, since at high levels, spending XP is important to keep your charcters in play longer to aquire more toys. Casting spells like Lim Wish and Commune are actually regular occurances in LG.

So...all that said....NEED MORE INPUT!!!!

SamTheCleric
2008-04-03, 08:20 AM
Yeah, my highest LG is only 6... so those type of favors aren't really prevalent... so I'd rather just build from scratch.

So far I only know of two others who are in the playtest... one is bumping is Gnome Wizard to be a Wizard/Geometer2/Shadowcraft Mage

The other is a Fighter/Rogue/Thief Acrobat dex-based light infantry.

That's all I know for now... (and that the final encounter that we're playtesting is untiered... :P)

Keld Denar
2008-04-03, 08:39 AM
Sounds like you either need a strong support cleric or bard/marshal or a strong melee powah house. Any preference which?

SamTheCleric
2008-04-03, 08:43 AM
I think we'll need a melee powah house.

I was thinking something like a Fighter 2/Hexblade 3/Occult Slayer 5/Something 5 ...

But that's just cause I like the Occult Slayer class. And Mettle.

What are your thoughts?

(And I wont discount the support either. I'm half tempted to make 6 different characters to fill in 6 different roles...)

Keld Denar
2008-04-03, 08:57 AM
Hmmm, do you mind being a Dorf?

Dorf the Dwarf
1 Barb1 Extra Rage
2 Fighter1 Axe Focus Dwarf ACF
3 Fighter2 Power Attack Endurance
4 Fighter3
5 Fighter4 Weapon Spec
6 Deepwarden1 Improved Initiative
7 Deepwarden2 Con to AC
8 Exotic Weapon Master - Uncanny Blow
9 Occult Slayer Melee Weapon Mastery
10 Occult Slayer
11 Occult Slayer
12 Occult Slayer Improved Bullrush
13 Occult Slayer
14 Dread Commando
15 Dread Commando Shocktrooper

That'll give you 2x str to hit with your dwarven Waraxe, OS goodness, Con to AC which means 2 attribute dependancy on Str and Con. Int, Wis, Cha, and Dex are all pretty much dump stats. You can start with a 20 Con and a 16 Str easy and be over 200 HP at level 15 for immunity to opening round PW:Stuns.

Items would be Belt and Amulet +6, Boots of Speed, Ring of FoM, Vest of Resistance +5, Phoenix Cloak, +1 Visious Transmuting Berzerking Adamantine Waraxe, +1 Energy Immunity Deathward Mithril Fullplate. +1 Energy Immunity Deathward Animated Large Shield and any minor tech you want, like a Bag of Holding, or whatever.

That should pretty well kit out a 15th level LG legal fighter....not bad for 7 mintues of work....

SamTheCleric
2008-04-03, 09:03 AM
Dread Commando = a no no.

I don't mind being a dwarf... in fact, it's the predominent race in Ulek. :smallamused:

EDIT: Oh, and according to the LGCS, a deepwarden's Con to AC is limited by Max Dex. Not a -huge- deal... but it's still only +3 in mithral full plate.

Keld Denar
2008-04-03, 09:12 AM
Dread Commando = a no no.

I don't mind being a dwarf... in fact, it's the predominent race in Ulek. :smallamused:

EDIT: Oh, and according to the LGCS, a deepwarden's Con to AC is limited by Max Dex. Not a -huge- deal... but it's still only +3 in mithral full plate.

Dread Commando isn't open, but it isn't closed either, which means you need certed access to take levels in it. Since its so late in the build, its certainly possible that you might have recieved access. I know of one particular adaptable adventure set at about APL 12 that gives access to it, and one of my friends back in the Boston area that I used to play with who actually TOOK 3 levels of it after gaining that access. So its not an absolute no no, but without certs to back up, wouldn't fly at all. Then again, most of the equipment I listed requires access too, and since its just a playtest, rather than a REAL event, and the campaign is pretty well ending anyway, it pretty much doesn't matter.

Other than that, what do you think? Good build? All feats are LG open, and most of the items are pretty standard things I've seen access to in my years of playing LG.

Note: Things like Leap Attack and Battle Jump and any other PA multipliers are all banned in LG. That's why I took feats like Melee Weapon Mastery.

EDIT: Instead of Mithril Fullplate, you could actually probably have a higher AC with much lighter armor. With a 20 Con starting, and a +6 item with +4 from rage, that's a 30 Con ceiling, or a +10. Celesial Armor would give you a +8, but you'll be way over the ceiling still. Hmmm, maybe lower Con a little bit. Actually, I think Mithril Chain Shirt would be the best, since you'd get the most amount of your Con to your AC, which will affect your touch AC.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-03, 09:16 AM
I do like it. All strength and con. I hadn't considered MWM... but it's a good choice.

I think I'll be going with it...but without the dread commando (asked and he said no. Gotta stick with the base "open" only)

Keld Denar
2008-04-03, 09:35 AM
If you drop DC, you could either take 2 more level of Barb for Uncanny Dodge and a decent HD size, 2 levels of Fighter for an extra feat, OR drop the Shocktrooper idea and grab True Believer and 2 levels of Pious Templar. This would free up the feat from taking Imp Bullrush as well, which could be spent on something like....I don't know. Pious Templar would net you Mettle, decent save increase, and if you have a little bit of Wisdom, access to a Paladin Spell or 2 which could be spent on things like Divine Sacrifice for bonus dmg, or maybe Rhino's Rush if you think your DM will allow that since its also non-open non-closed....

Iku Rex
2008-04-03, 11:38 AM
I found a list of what's open for LG and it's rather restricted. If I'm reading it right you can't get alternate class features, no mithral or adamantine, no specific magic items and no non-core magic items.

Dorf the Dwarf will have some skill point problems qualifying for deepwarden at level 6, but it can probably be solved by moving some levels around.

As for my suggestion, I propose a
Wood Elf Scout 1/Fighter 2/Ranger 3/Wildrunner (RotW) 2/Champion of Corellon (RotW) 2/ Dervish (CWar) 5

The scout level can be used for something else.

28 point buy:
Str 15
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 15
Wis 8
Cha 8

+2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int wood elf
+2 Con levels
+1 Str levels
+6 Str, +4 Dex, +5 Con, +2 Cha magic items
+2 Str, +6 Dex when Primal Scream

The need for Combat Expertise creates some MAD, especially for a Wood Elf, but at least the high Int provides extra skill points.

Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Combat Expertise, Weapon Focus (longsword), 3x Two-Weapon Fighting, Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting (CAdv), Mounted Combat. Gets Endurance and Spring Attack as bonus feats in addition to fighter feats and ranger TWF (already listed).

The feats are pretty much locked in by PrC requirements and two-weapon fighting.

Equipment suggestions (200000 gp):
36630 2 +1 flaming shock longswords
25235 +5 Sharkskin Armor (Storm)
16000 +4 Gloves of Dex
36000 +6 Amulet of Con
36000 +6 Belt of Str
8000 Ring of Protection +2
4000 +2 Cloak of Cha
25000 Vest of Resistance +5
2000 Handy Haversack
1000 MW Composite Longbow +6

10135 Left

(The sharkskin armor is the best open armor I can find.)

Skills: Max tumble. You want to be able to speed-tumble past multiple opponents when taking 10. Also max perform (dance) for Dervish Dance.

Description:
This character isn't nearly as sturdy as Dorf, but in return he's got more out of combat options and, IMNSHO, style. When you activate Primal Scream and Dervish Dance he can do some serious damage with his 6 attacks + bite. AC is not so great though, so make sure you get a good Con item.

Scream + Dance:
AB: 15 (BAB) + 8 (Str) + 1 (magic) +1 (WF) + 3 (dance) - 2 (TWF) = +26/+26/+21/+21/+16/+16 (+ bite)
Damage: 1d8 + 8/4 (Str) + 8 (Dex) + 1 (Magic) + 3 (dance) + 2d6 (energy) + 1d6 (skirmish) = 1d8+20/16 + 3d6
AC: 10 + 8 (armor) + 6 (max Dex) + 2 (ring) + 2 (AC bonus) = AC 28 (+ Dodge, + Combat Expertise)

SamTheCleric
2008-04-03, 11:45 AM
That's kinda scary o_O

Well done sir.

It shall go in the folder of options. I probably wont decide on the final character to play until I sit down at the table. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2008-04-03, 11:54 AM
Dude, if you really want, go over to Gleemax and search for the LG Build Compendium. Its a MASSIVE thread, but it has just about every possible imagined 15 level build using almost all Open and some NONC content. Mommy_Was_An_Orc I believe is the keeper of that thread. Take a gander over there and see if there is anything you like.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-03, 11:59 AM
Hmm. I may do that. Thanks for the tip.

Chronos
2008-04-03, 12:01 PM
In case anyone else is confused, LGCS is Living Greyhawk Campaign Setting, correct?

SamTheCleric
2008-04-03, 12:06 PM
Close. Living Greyhawk Campaign Sourcebook. :)

Keld Denar
2008-04-03, 12:18 PM
Close. Living Greyhawk Campaign Sourcebook. :)

Its a free download on the RPGA webside, just off the main wizards website. It has all of the rules for general character creation and advancment within the LG campaign. It details exactly what you can use openly, what you can't use at all, what author's only can use, and the rest is available by finding "access" through play. It also goes into some of the LG houserules, such as how Time Units worked (before they were eliminated due to campaign closure) and special rules for crafting magic items.