PDA

View Full Version : (Race) Squishy Warforged [PEACH]

Lappy9000
2008-04-03, 12:44 PM
So, yeah. With all the recent (and extremely helpful) posts made by the kind folks at GiantITP Forums, the Soulstitched have effectively gotten rid of their blandness problem.

Right, warforged-esque race needed for campaign fluff purposes. Think Sally (from Nightmare Before Christmas) meets Flesh-Golem for a +0 LA Core Race.
(They're also the most campaign-specific base race I've made, but all you really need to know is that the Lords of Mechanus are powerful wizards who took control over the continent long ago, but rule no more).

Soulstitched

Originally designed as mindless servants to the mighty Lords of Mechanus, the soulstitched rapidly began to develop sentience of their own. Their disorderly nature soon clashed with the interests of their masters and the soulstitched were cast off, seen as failed creations. Now that the reign of the Lords of Mechanus is no more, the soulstitched now have turned to their own pursuits.
Personality: Since they were originally developed as upgraded flesh golems, it is somewhat ironic that the soulstitched attained such a captivating presence. Though the exact reasons remain unknown, many arcane scholars believe that the combination of multiple consciousnesses, in addition to the magnetic Lords of Mechanus, led the soulstitched to develop a very powerful aura. Despite their appearance, soulstitched carry themselves respectfully and are naturally, or unnaturally perhaps, extroverted.
Physical Description: At a distant glance, soulstitched look eerily similar to flesh golems, however closer inspection reveal a humanoid more similar to a well-formed human with stitches running across the body, attatching it together. Soulstitched follow no uniform body type, with their figure varying widely. Some have oversized or undersized appendages or patches of various skin colors, different hued (or sized) eyes, and even patches of different colored hair. The only things standard about them are their creation from purely humans, and a sense of gender within the race. Therefore, while the soulstitched are technically sexless, they do have clearly defined male or female genders, however they are incaple of mating and have no urge to do so. They also weigh significantly less than golems, weighing little more than a human of the same height.
Relations: Soulstitched have an immensely powerful presence, and easily make allies from other races. Soulstitched get along well with other outgoing races like Halflings and gnomes, and harbor no ill will to humans, excluding former members of the Lords of Mechanus. However there is something inheritably ‘unnatural’ about them, something which elves are quite put off by. Dwarves often find soulstitched to be annoying at best, and downright infuriating at worst.
Alignment: Soulstitched lean strongly toward chaos, a fact that disconnected them from their lawful masters.
Religion: Many soulstitched find no use for religion, but some seek a sense of control in their lives and will dedicate themselves to, often or not, a chaotic deity.
Language: Soulstitched speak common, the language of their creators and have no native tongue of their own.
Names: Since they are a race without oral or written traditions, names are no more regular among the soulstitched than their appearance. They do like names, however, and will often adopt a nickname from another race and adjust the lettering of the name to their pleasing.
Adventurers: Magic makes up everything about the soulstitched. Their bodies are literally full of arcane energy, and are experts at manipulating their inner power. Most become sorcerers or bards, but the occasional soulstitched will become a wizard despite past experiences with the Lords of Mechanus. Few soulstitched take up arms in the martial classes and fewer become users of divine magic. Soulstitched are almost never druids, sense there is almost nothing inheritably natural about them.

Soulstitched Racial Traits
• Living Construct Subtype (EX): Soulstitched are constructs with the living construct subtype. A living construct is a created being given sentience and free will through powerful and complex enchantments. Soulstitched are living constructs that combine aspects of both constructs and living creatures, as detailed below.
Features: As a living construct, a soulstitched has the following features.
-A soulstitched derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.

Traits: A soulstitched possesses the following traits.
-Unlike other constructs, a soulstitched has a Constitution score.
-Unlike other constructs, soulstitched do not have low-light vision or darkvision.
-Unlike other constructs, a soulstitched is not immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
-Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, and energy drain.
- A soulstitched cannot heal damage naturally.
-Unlike other constructs, soulstitched are subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.
-As living constructs, soulstitched can be affects by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a soulstitched can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a soulstitched is vulnerable to a disable construct spell and harm. However, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage provide only half their normal effect to a soulstitched.
Unlike other living constructs, soulstitched are unaffected by repel metal, chill metal, repel wood, and rusting grasp. Spells such as flesh to stone affect objects only objects, and thus cannot be used on the flesh parts of a soulstitched.
-A soulstitched responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A soulstitched with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and are greater than -10, a soulstitched is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert soulstitched does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.
-As a living construct, a soulstitched can be raised of resurrected.
-A soulstitched does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but he can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions.
-Although living constructs do not need sleep, a soulstitched wizard must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

• +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity: Soulstitched are clever and have a powerful presence, but their amalgamation of body parts makes their movements somewhat awkward and unsure.
• Medium: As medium constructs, soulstitched have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Soulstitched has a base land speed of 20 feet.
• Escape Artist: Since soulstitched feel no pain, they can utilize damage done to their bodies like no other race can. Once a soulstitched has taken at least 1 point of lethal damage (not including temporary hit points) they gain a +2 Circumstance bonus to Escape Artist checks. This bonus increases to +4 once the soulstitched has lost half of their hit points from lethal damage (round down). This bonus stacks with any other bonus to the Escape Artist skill that a soulstitched may have. Soulstitched wearing medium or heavy armor cannot take advantage of this bonus.
• Stitch Removal
Stitch Removal (Su)

A soulstitched may remove one limb from their body and have it animate under their control. The animated limb moves at one fourth the base speed of the soulstitched. If the soulstitched removed one of their legs, the soulstitched also moves at only one fourth of their base speed. Only limbs (hand, foot, arm, leg) may be removed. A limb that has been forcibly severed from the soulstitched is cut off from the soulstitched and does not function.

A soulstitched may only have one removed limb at a time. Any damage dealt to the limb does not reflect upon the soulstitched until the limb is reattached. As long as the limb does not get destroyed or leaves the range of control, it can be reattached by the soulstitched as a full-round action. A soulstitched can sense and control the limb anywhere within it’s range of control (25 feet +5 feet/2 character levels) the connection is lost and the limb stops functioning. Should the limb be destroyed or lost, a soulstitched must find a new limb and replace their missing one with it. It takes one week after stitching a new limb for the limb to become usable for the soulstitched, and an additional two weeks after that before the limb has absorbed enough magical energies so it can be unstitched again and used.

In addition, a soulstitched’s Stitch Removal ability works only when the soulstitched is in its natural form.

A soulstitched’s limb functions as an extension of the soulstitched’s body, not as a unique creature. A soulstitched’s limb has the following characteristics:

*Diminutive Construct:

Hit Dice: 1 hp per soulstitched class level
Initiative: +0
Speed: 1/4 of soulstitched's base speed
Base Atk/Grp: +0/-12
AC: 14 (+4 size)
Attack: --
Full Attack: --
Space/Reach: 1 ft (1/25)
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis -, Cha –
Skills: Hide +12, Move Silently +8

Under ordinary circumstances, it cannot inflict any damage or even hit aware creatures. However, if the soulstitched can cast a touch spell, they can channel the touch spell through the severed limb to unaware or immobilized opponents (or by using spells such as telekinesis or mage hand to deliver the body part).

A limb is under control of the soulstitched and may move up to Short range (25 feet +5 feet/2 character levels) from the soulstitched.

A soulstitched limb gains bonuses from any equipment it wears that is the full equipment. IE: An arm with a ring of protection +2 gains a +2 deflection bonus to it's AC, but a leg with only one Boot of Springing and Striding does not gain the effects of the Boots.

*A leg or arm functions as a Tiny Construct

Reattatching Soulstitched Limbs:
A soulstitched's limb may be reattatched with a Repair Moderate Damage or Repair Serious Damage spell and can be usable in 1 week. A DC 25 Heal Check can be made to reattatch the limb, but it cannot be used by the soulstitched.
Grappling
A soulstitched can also use their stitch removal ability to help escape being grappled. If a soulstitched is being grappled by a limb alone (someone holding their arm) they can use the stitch removal ability to escape being grappled automatically. A soulstitched wearing medium or heavy armor cannot take advantage of this trait.

• Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: None.
• Favored Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass soulstitched sorcerer class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Overlord
2008-04-03, 07:43 PM
http://www.daemonstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/terminator_poster2.thumbnail.jpg

Instant Flavor!

From a mechanics standpoint, they look fine. Their abilities are a bit bland, though; I think that might be the problem. Personally, I would give them an extra -2 penalty to another ability score (or take away one of their bonuses) and give them another trait or two.

RTGoodman
2008-04-03, 07:59 PM
However, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage provide only half their normal effect to a soulstitched.

I think that's a little harsh. I can take that [Healing] spells are only half effective, but I think that class abilities that aren't specifically based on positive energy (Devoted Spirit maneuvers, etc.) should have full effect, especially since they can't heal damage naturally anyway (unless that's a misprint).

Also, is there a reason they have a base land speed of only 20 feet? I get the Dex penalty, but is a speed reduction necessary for anything other than balance reason?

Finally, one fluff-based critique. I understand that they're supposed to be like sentient flesh golems (that is, amalgamations of other body parts), but I think would make more sense, considering their Charisma bonus, if they were slightly less gruesome. Maybe instead of it being obviously just tacked on, what if they look a little more "perfect" than normal humans (since you can pick and choose the best body parts) and the seams are just slightly noticeable and more intriguing than disgusting.

RyanM
2008-04-03, 08:14 PM
Personally, I would give them an extra -2 penalty to another ability score (or take away one of their bonuses) and give them another trait or two.

Agreed. I'd give them -2 to Wisdom. They're a relatively new race with no culture, so they'd naturally be less worldly. And being made up of stitched together stuff probably isn't too good for perceptiveness.

Hm, given their low speed and the fact that they're constructs, I'd make them suffer the normal speed penalties when wearing heavy armor, but not when carrying heavy stuff.

Lappy9000
2008-04-03, 08:37 PM
Instant Flavor!

Buh-huh. Excellent.

To Overlord:

They're bland 'cause I couldn't think of any neat-o abilities that wouldn't bump their LA up to at least +1. So, I simply took the most basic aspects of the race and stuck 'em here to see if anyone else had ideas.

To rtg0922:

The healing thing's just part of the Living Construct subtype, I didn't feel inclined to change it. They are based largely off warforged, and like their more metal-y cousins, they can't heal naturally (despite being made from human parts).

The slow land speed was based from other golems, and kinda couples in with the Dex penalty (I wants me some shamblin' spell-castin' fools).

I agree mostly with your fluff critique. Their high charisma comes more from the strength of their personalities than their own physical attractiveness (which tends to lead to uncomfortable situations with certain non-construct PC's).

EDIT: Perhaps using the term 'hideous flesh golem' was a bit much. How about "Similiar to a fairly well-formed humanoid, but with stitches seemingly attatching certain body parts and unusual physical proportions (slightly longer limbs, asymmetrical shape, different colored eyes, etc)." I actually like that better since my main beef with Warforged is that they all kinda look the same. I want the players to have lots of customization with the soulstitched.

To RyanM:

I'm cool with a Wisdom penalty; I usually try to avoid doing +2 +2 -2 -2 racial adjustments, but I may make an exception, since I realize that bonuses to Intelligence and Charisma is a big bonus for spellcasters.

I know about the dwarf carrying capacity thing; it got taken out with the previously mentioned ability removals.

To All

Thanks for the comments. I'll break down what I'm aiming for:

Constructs created superficially like flesh golems (minus lots of grusomeness) who are surprisingly Charismatic/Intelligent due to a meshing of multiple personalities and minds but clumsy and slow due to their construction.

Keep it up, you're really helping me out, here.

RyanM
2008-04-03, 09:07 PM
Hm, one minor thing, dunno if it's part of the "living construct" thing or not, but if they cannot heal on their own, their bodies probably also should not decompose after death. If that's not already part of living construct thing, it's a pretty large oversite on the part of WoTC. With no natural healing, they'd quickly end up looking (and smelling!) like zombies otherwise.

Also, why sorcerer for the favored class? I thought constructs tended to be... I dunno.

But given their chaotic/freedom-loving nature, and the fact that they're made of humans exclusively, it seems like it'd make more sense to have them not count the highest level class for multi, like humans. That might break them, though.

Lappy9000
2008-04-03, 09:29 PM
Well, I certainly didn't plan on them decomposing :smalleek:

I don't think flesh golems decompose. I know that living constructs do eventually deteoriate, but it isn't know 'cause the oldest living constructs are only 30 years old (though middle age is about 150, according to ECS).

But given their chaotic/freedom-loving nature, and the fact that they're made of humans exclusively, it seems like it'd make more sense to have them not count the highest level class for multi, like humans. That might break them, though.

Good idea but, yeah, that'd almost definitely break them.

EDIT:

Also, why sorcerer for the favored class? I thought constructs tended to be... I dunno.

I explained it a bit in the fluff:
"Magic makes up everything about the soulstitched. Their bodies are literally full of arcane energy, and are experts at manipulating their inner power."

Warforged are kinda like metal bodies animated to the point of sentience. Soulstitched, however, are created, animated, and held together by arcane magic. The idea is that they are naturally capable of controling the excess arcane energies within them. Sorcerers fit the bill well enough, 'cause a sorcerer uses naturally manifested arcane powers.

DracoDei
2008-04-04, 02:16 AM
Finally, one fluff-based critique. I understand that they're supposed to be like sentient flesh golems (that is, amalgamations of other body parts), but I think would make more sense, considering their Charisma bonus, if they were slightly less gruesome. Maybe instead of it being obviously just tacked on, what if they look a little more "perfect" than normal humans (since you can pick and choose the best body parts) and the seams are just slightly noticeable and more intriguing than disgusting.

I dunno... Sally, Jack Skelington's girlfriend in "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was convincingly cute, and even managed to Vamp Oogy Boogy with a detached leg....

Lappy9000
2008-04-04, 05:52 AM
Dude, I didn't even think about Sally. Excellent :smallbiggrin:

Lappy9000
2008-04-08, 07:40 PM
It's been a couple of days, but I still got nutthin'. Anyone have any ideas of how to make the soulstitched's racial traits more interesting?

DracoDei
2008-04-09, 02:18 PM
Well... if you like Sally, maybe you could try to come up with mechanics for them unstitching themselves like she does... might be kinda hard to keep simple, but, on the other hand, I am fairly sure that game balance could be achieved with some work.

AugustNights
2008-04-09, 03:34 PM
I'd say add a racial bonus to escape artist checks, which can be increased by taking a certain amount of damage.

Also, might I suggest Animate Objects 1 day as a spell like ability for those with a charisma of 17 or higher, (needs a lot of presence for this), but they may only animate a part of their body that they detatch... Spell caster Level equal to HD?

Oh hell, why not give it a racial Paragon class that gives it the ability to detach body parts, or even attach new body parts. Which makes me think of the flesh-doll in the end of May... " I like your arms."

Lappy9000
2008-04-09, 03:40 PM
Good idea. Hmm...first off I suppose some criteria would be needed for controlling a body part.

Found a homebrew spell that would work with some tweaking:

Animate Body Part
Necromancy Evil

Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Cleric 0
Components: V

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One separate body part
Duration: Concentration plus 1 round

Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistence Yes

This spell temporarily animates one creature's separate body part, such as a severed
hand, preserved eye, or skull. The body part must be dead, although the creature it was
from need not be. The body part must also be in relatively good condition and can be no
larger than tiny (typically a half a limb).

The body part will move under its own direction; you have no control over the body part
unless you cast Command Undead or a similar spell. Typically, the body part will
spasmodically, crawl towards or grasp the nearest living creatures other than you. The body part can sense the life force of creatures up to 400 feet away.

The attributes of the body part will depend on the specific body part, but it may have a
strength of up to 2, a dexterity of 10, a movement of up to 2.5, AC 18 (+8 size), 1 hit
point, and a BAB of +0. Unless the body part naturally makes noise (for example a
chattering skull) it has a Hide of +10 (+8 size, +2 enhancement) and Move Silent of +8
(+8 size). Under ordinary circumstances, it cannot inflict any damage or even hit aware
creatures. However, you can use it to deliver touch spells of 4th level or lower from the
school of Necromancy to unaware or immobilized opponents (or by using spells such as
telekinesis or mage hand to deliver the body part).
Source: Homebrew

That seems okay to start with. It could be part of the soulstitched's anatomy to simply pluck off a limb, or it could take some sort of skill check. 400 feet away is a looong distance so that prolly needs to be shortened significantly.

I don't think the body part should start moving on its own account; the soulstitched should have complete control of the body part within the given distance.

I suppose it could work with alot of body parts, but it would only really be worth it with an eye or a hand. Removing a body part should also give the user some penalties until the limb is re-attatched or a new one is attatched on in its place (if there's an artificer handy). Speaking of which, the ability probably needs to stop functioning if the old limb is replaced, to keep a player from having a small army of walking severed hands.

I'd work with the spell myself, but quite frankly, I wouldn't know what the hell I would be doing.

Oh, and ChumpLump, Escape Artist is a good idea too.

I really appreciate your help here :D

Lochar
2008-04-09, 04:11 PM
Stitch Removal

A soulstitched may one limb from their body and have it animate under their control. Use the statistics for a Fine animated object for it's statistics. The animated limb moves at one fourth the base speed of the soulstitched. If the soulstitched removed one of their legs, the soulstitched also moves at only one fourth of their base speed.

A soulstitched may only have one removed limb at a time. Any damage dealt to the limb does not reflect upon the soulstitched until the limb is reattached. Should the limb be destroyed, a soulstitched must find a new limb and replace their missing one with it. It take one week after stitching a new limb for the limb to become usable for the soulstitched, and an additional two weeks after that before the limb has absorbed enough magical energies so it can be unstitched again and used.

A limb may move up to Short range(25 feet +5 feet/2 character levels) from the soulstitched.

A soulstitched limb gains bonuses from any equipment it wears that is the full equipment. IE: An arm with a ring of protection +2 gains a +2 deflection bonus to it's AC, but a leg with only one Boot of Springing and Striding does not gain the effects of the Boots.

RyanM
2008-04-09, 05:26 PM
Possibly some kind of feat or graft that allows limbs to be removed easily, otherwise they're stitched, welded, bolted, stapled, whatever, pretty securely. Also, I guess it should be that healing limb loss requires nothing more difficult than anything that heals at least some amount of HP, as long as the limb is relatively intact.

Lappy9000
2008-04-09, 10:30 PM
Thanks, Lochar. I think RyanM is right, too, a feat's probably the best way to manage that ability.

Now we need the penalties when a body part is unattatched. Does anyone know what the penalty for a lost hand is off the top of their heads? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I think we should stick with things like leg, hand, etc. It could be difficult for something like popping out an eye to watch an area (I'm internally debating whether that makes sense; magic or not).

Use the statistics for a Fine animated object for it's statistics.

Just one more thing; wouldn't diminuitive work better here?

Parvum
2008-04-09, 11:04 PM
You want them to be slow, right? Not all bland removers are good. Penalties to various Dex-based skills in addition to the dex penalty. If you want to take it further, give them Dead Nerves (from half-zombies).

Personally, I think that animating limbs is a bit gimmicky for something that might make a good base race.

Lappy9000
2008-04-10, 05:32 AM
You want them to be slow, right? Not all bland removers are good. Penalties to various Dex-based skills in addition to the dex penalty. If you want to take it further, give them Dead Nerves (from half-zombies).

Yeah, I was for a race with a slower base land speed.

Half-zombies? Eww....What's that from, Libris Mortis? I've never heard of that before.

Personally, I think that animating limbs is a bit gimmicky for something that might make a good base race.

You don't need to hide it. The whole point of PEACH is that I want your opinions.

I figured that that one spell-like ability (It's basically a cantrip) along with a +2 Diplomacy (Maybe Imtimidation too) or something would be a good boost without pushing them over the +0 barrier.

Thr original build was far too strong:

• +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity: Soulstitched are clever and have a powerful presence, but their amalgamation of body parts makes their movements what awkward and unsure.
• Medium: As medium constructs, soulstitched have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Soulstitched has a base land speed of 20 feet.
• Low-Light Vision: A soulstitched can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Alchemic Resilience: The alchemic processes used in binding a soulstitched provide a +1 armor bonus. This enhanced hardness is not natural armor and doesn’t stack with the other effects that give an armor bonus (other than natural armor). This enhanced hardness occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a soulstitched character cannot wear armor or magic robes. Soulstitched can be enchanted just as armor can be. The character must be present for the entire time it takes to enchant him.
• Compelling Presence: A soulstitched with a Charisma score of at least 12 has the following spell-like ability once per day. A soulstitched’s compelling presence functions as a Charm Person spell. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + soulstitched’s Cha modifier + spell level.
• A soulstitched has a natural weapon in the form on a slam attack that deals 1d4 points of damage.
• Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: None.
• Favored Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass soulstitched sorcerer class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

They were easily a good +1 race and since I didn't have alot of ideas to give them cool abilites after I had nerfed them, I decided to take them here.

exodus_dragon
2008-04-10, 06:31 AM
I dont know if it was already mentioned or not but i think that they should have a small regen like a troll. I mean they are flesh golems right and they are stiched together by a lot of body parts. you would think that they would have a better heal rate to keep themselves looking "normalish" And i think that they should probably eat, sleep, drink, breathe, because they are flesh and they dont have mechanical parts to keep them alive. they have to feed there fless like normal humans. JMO

exodus_dragon
2008-04-10, 06:33 AM
I believe its a dex penalty for hands, and for arms its strength/dex, and legs its movement speed/strength/dex. lol and head well obviously death. lol

Thanks, Lochar. I think RyanM is right, too, a feat's probably the best way to manage that ability.

Now we need the penalties when a body part is unattatched. Does anyone know what the penalty for a lost hand is off the top of their heads? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I think we should stick with things like leg, hand, etc. It could be difficult for something like popping out an eye to watch an area (I'm internally debating whether that makes sense; magic or not).

Just one more thing; wouldn't diminuitive work better here?

Lappy9000
2008-04-10, 12:53 PM
Thanks, exodus_dragon. Do you know what the penalty is? -4?

I dont know if it was already mentioned or not but i think that they should have a small regen like a troll. I mean they are flesh golems right and they are stiched together by a lot of body parts. you would think that they would have a better heal rate to keep themselves looking "normalish" And i think that they should probably eat, sleep, drink, breathe, because they are flesh and they dont have mechanical parts to keep them alive. they have to feed there fless like normal humans. JMO

Regeneration's mighty powerful for a base race. It's a good idea, though.

Oh, and arcane magic has wonderful preservation powers ;)

Lochar
2008-04-10, 12:59 PM
Diminutive would work better, I just skipped a step or two going down the small size list.

I agree too, set it as a feat, and only allow major body parts to be removed. Eyes and things are too small to survive without the innate magic of the soulstitch body, bigger limbs can carry their own magical charge with them.

Although, either as a feat or an inbuilt body function, you'd have to make note that you can only removed a stitched component when you are in your natural form. Otherwise you'd see people polymorphing and removing a tentacle or something.

Lappy9000
2008-04-10, 01:28 PM
Although, either as a feat or an inbuilt body function, you'd have to make note that you can only removed a stitched component when you are in your natural form. Otherwise you'd see people polymorphing and removing a tentacle or something.

Good catch there.

How about this (stealing from both Lochar and the dude I found that spell from on ENworld)

Stitch Removal

A soulstitched may one limb from their body and have it animate under their control. Use the statistics for a Fine animated object for it's statistics. The animated limb moves at one fourth the base speed of the soulstitched. If the soulstitched removed one of their legs, the soulstitched also moves at only one fourth of their base speed.

A soulstitched may only have one removed limb at a time. Any damage dealt to the limb does not reflect upon the soulstitched until the limb is reattached. Should the limb be destroyed, a soulstitched must find a new limb and replace their missing one with it. It take one week after stitching a new limb for the limb to become usable for the soulstitched, and an additional two weeks after that before the limb has absorbed enough magical energies so it can be unstitched again and used.

A limb is under control of the soulstitched and may move up to Short range(25 feet +5 feet/2 character levels) from the soulstitched.

A soulstitched’s limb has the following characteristics:

Str 2, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis -, Cha -
Movement of 2.5 feet
AC 18 (+8 size), Hp ½ of soulstitched’s HD, BAB of +0
Hide of +10 (+8 size, +2 enhancement), Move Silent of +8 (+8 size)
Under ordinary circumstances, it cannot inflict any damage or even hit aware creatures. However, if the soulstitched can cast a touch spell, they can channel the touch spell through the severed limb to unaware or immobilized opponents (or by using spells such as telekinesis or mage hand to deliver the body part).

In addition, a soulstitched’s Stitch Removal ability works only when the soulstitched is in its natural form.

Lochar
2008-04-10, 02:23 PM
I'd set the HP to be 1 point per character level, instead of 1/2 of the total HP, possibly, but other than that I think it's good.

Lappy9000
2008-04-10, 04:09 PM
'Aight, I edited the original post for the aforementioned Stitch Removal and Diplomacy bonus. Any additional comments?

RyanM
2008-04-10, 06:31 PM
Hm, on regeneration, the way I'd do it is I'd set the regeneration rate to something along the lines of 3 HP per day. That way they get the equivalent of a night's sleep outside on the ground, without actually sleeping (but, they can't get an expensive room for more HP, and healing spells are less effective). I think it's 3 HP per day for that, anyway.

Lappy9000
2008-04-10, 06:42 PM
Well, you'd need a number of hitpoints healed that's not a set number. 3hp won't do much good at 12th level.

Typically, though, regeneration works with something like a severed limb which won't really work; especially with recent changes.

I'm not sure how I'd justify healing 3hp per day automatically. I've already played my "they're full o' magic!" card :smallwink:

Lappy9000
2008-04-10, 09:29 PM
Just realized that I have yet to address ChumpLump's clever suggestion.

• Escape Artist: Since soulstitched feel no pain, they can utilize damage done to their bodies like no other race can. Once a soulstitched has taken at least 1 point of lethal damage (not including temporary hit points) they gain a +2 Circumstance bonus to Escape Artist checks. This bonus increases to +4 once the soulstitched has lost half of their hit points from lethal damage (round down). This bonus stacks with any other bonus to the Escape Artist skill that a soulstitched may have.

Nothing major, just another bonus to the soulstitched. I'm just about ready to wrap up here, unless anyone has any other opinions or noticed any loopholes that I've neglected.

DracoDei
2008-04-10, 10:02 PM
Limb removal would, of course, allow auto-escape from many types of restraints... in fact Sally demonstrates this when she leaves the Doctor holding her arm...

Burley
2008-04-11, 01:13 PM
I think for ease, you could use the Warlock Invocations from Complete Mage: Disembodied Hand or Disembodied Eye.

Make one of their class features:

Feat Selection: Soulstitched gain access to the Extra Invocation feat, for the purpose of selecting the Disembodied Hand or Disembodied Eye invocation, even if they don't use invocations. They must, however, be of a character level equal to the Warlock level to use that level invocation.

I dunno if that's what you were going for, but they explain the rules fairly well in those invocations. Plus, it keeps your level one rogues from using their arms to set off traps and junk.

The big problem is that the invocations regenerate the limbs, if destroyed. That's up to you if you want that to stay (I'd leave it...for mysticism), or you could write up a bit about stitching new limbs.

Lappy9000
2008-04-11, 01:47 PM
I don't actually own complete mage. From what I was able to find out about the spell, however, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

Plus, it keeps your level one rogues from using their arms to set off traps and junk.

I'd actually allow that since, the ability isn't all that powerful unless a player could find creative uses for it, such as that.

Since the soulstitched can't even regenerate HP naturally, a limb is out of the question.

Thanks for the suggestion, though :smallsmile:

thevorpalbunny
2008-04-12, 06:15 PM
This seems overpowered to me.

Pluses:
+2 Charisma
+2 Int
detachable arms
+2 to Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Escape Artist
all construct immunities
Minuses:
healing doesn't work very well
-2 Dex
-10ft speed

That's good for +1 LA, and it's fairly strong at that. if you dropped the +Int and skill bonuses and added some more negatives you might be able to get it down to +0 LA, but it's really, really hard to have a +0 LA race with a bonus to Int, Cha, or Wis.

DracoDei
2008-04-12, 07:52 PM
They don't have all construct immunities I don't think... or if they do they probably shouldn't... I mean warforged don't and these are based on them.
For instance I believe these are susceptible to critical hits (although they might have the equivalent of light fortification).

Lappy9000
2008-04-12, 10:37 PM
The keyword is living construct.

-Unlike other constructs, soulstitched are subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.

Actually, unlike the warforged, soulstitched lack light fortification, natural weapon, and natural armor. It's not just 1/2 from healing either, they can't naturally heal.

Keep in mind that the stitch removal is only useful in really specific situations. In addition, it can get nasty for the soulstitched who loses a limb using the stitch removal ability (useless limb for a week).

Thanks for bringing this up, though. I had forgotten to take out the diplomacy/intimidation (It was added before the Escape Artist).

So lesse, we got:

Pluses:

+2 Charisma
+2 Int
Detachable Limbs
Can use Stitch Removal to auto-escape being grappled (sorta)
+2/+4 Escape Artist
Living Construct

Minuses:

-2 Dex
No natural healing
1/2 benefit from healing spells
Detachable Limbs kinda gimicky (useful in specific situations)
Some racial abilities hampered by heavy armor (recently added)
-10ft speed

I'll admit that they're on the Dwarf/Warforged end of the +0 spectrum, but I'd also argue that they are in fact +0.

thevorpalbunny
2008-04-14, 07:22 PM
The keyword is living construct.

Actually, unlike the warforged, soulstitched lack light fortification, natural weapon, and natural armor. It's not just 1/2 from healing either, they can't naturally heal.

Keep in mind that the stitch removal is only useful in really specific situations. In addition, it can get nasty for the soulstitched who loses a limb using the stitch removal ability (useless limb for a week).

Thanks for bringing this up, though. I had forgotten to take out the diplomacy/intimidation (It was added before the Escape Artist).

So lesse, we got:

Pluses:

+2 Charisma
+2 Int
Detachable Limbs
+2/+4 Escape Artist
Living Construct

Minuses:

-2 Dex
No natural healing
Detachable Limbs kinda gimicky (useful in specific situations)
-10ft speed

I'll admit that they're on the Dwarf/Warforged end of the +0 spectrum, but I'd also argue that they are in fact +0.

I'd still put it at +1, though it's now a weak +1.

Pluses:

+2 Charisma
+2 Int
Detachable Limbs
Not useful. Flavor only
+2/+4 Escape Artist
Living Construct

Minuses:

-2 Dex
No natural healing
Irrelevant. In one day, the cleric can almost certainly heal them to full.
Even when you take this into account.
Detachable Limbs kinda gimmicky (useful in specific situations)
A free familiar is useful if they're an arcane spellcaster, which essentially every single one will be. Most will have familiar, but there are several published variants where the familiar is traded for something else. They can essentially take one of those for free.
They'll be casters: why would they be wearing heavy armor?
-10ft speed
Hurts, but halflings and gnomes deal with it.

Lappy9000
2008-04-14, 08:04 PM
A free familiar is useful if they're an arcane spellcaster, which essentially every single one will be. Most will have familiar, but there are several published variants where the familiar is traded for something else. They can essentially take one of those for free.

How the heck does a detachable hand count as a free familiar? I really have no idea what you're talking about here....

-10ft speed
Hurts, but halflings and gnomes deal with it.

'Course, halflings and gnomes are Small size. Dwarves are Medium size and move at 20ft too, but they have the encumberance thing to make up for it.

EDIT: This is like the fourth edit, but despite the fact that the soulstitched do have some neat traits and two ability bonuses, their AC's are gonna be terrible. They're typically arcane spellcasters, who have low HDs; they have a Dexterity penalty; and they have even more reason not to wear armor than other mages. And then, they don't even get full effect of healing spells. I also mixed up the living construt subtype up a bit which took away light fortification (25% chance failure of enemy Sneak Attacks), and the +2 Natural Armor bonus.

Yeah, I know, wizards/sorcerers can buff themselves to make up for this, but quite honestly, these guys just can't take a hit.