PDA

View Full Version : tarrasque animal companion

talse
2008-04-03, 01:48 PM
So I've been reading this thread on the city built around the tarrasque for a while, and I was wondering what level druid could have the tarrasque as his animal companion. I just have this image of a druid riding a thorned hill throwing out magic left and right kicking ass and taking names.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-03, 01:57 PM
1: The Terrasque is a Magical Beast. Most of the time it takes a feat to get one of those as an Animal Companion.
2: The highest CR AC in core is CR 9, at level 19.
3: AC available CR does not continue to advance into epic.
4: No. Just, why. No. This is wrong. Do I even have to tell you why advancing a Terrasque is a bad idea? Especially since, if you die, it goes out of control. NO.

talse
2008-04-03, 02:03 PM
Why doesn't animal companion rank increase into epic category? It seems kind of weak that that's the case, familiars get buffs at epic levels.

Krrth
2008-04-03, 02:08 PM
Part of the reason familiars continue to advance is that *BAD THINGS* happen to a wizard who loses his/her familiar. A druids animal companion? Not so much. Also, since the Tarrasque is supposed to be a unique creature, how would you justify getting it in the first place?

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-03, 02:10 PM
By the time you reach a level where having Big T for your animal companion isn't outrageous you should be able to cast Origin of the Species and make a better one.

Frosty
2008-04-03, 02:12 PM
There is an epic feat to allow taking Magical beasts as an Animal Companion.

Jack_Simth
2008-04-03, 02:20 PM
Why doesn't animal companion rank increase into epic category? It seems kind of weak that that's the case, familiars get buffs at epic levels.

It does:

Animal Companion: The Druid’s animal companion continues to increase in power. Every three levels higher than 20th the animal companion gains 2 bonus hit dice, +1 strength and dexterity, and an additional trick.No new specials, but the animal companion gets better.

Hmm... let's see... at 1 CR per 3 animal hit dice, and 2 bonus Animal Hit Dice per 3 Druid levels, going from CR 1 to CR 20 would take 57 bonus hit dice, which would take about 87 levels. There you go - Mr. T can be taken as an Animal Companion with a -87 adjustment to your effective Druid Level. And you'll need the feat for making a Magical Beast animal companion.

Craig1f
2008-04-03, 02:30 PM
It does:
No new specials, but the animal companion gets better.

Hmm... let's see... at 1 CR per 3 animal hit dice, and 2 bonus Animal Hit Dice per 3 Druid levels, going from CR 1 to CR 20 would take 57 bonus hit dice, which would take about 87 levels. There you go - Mr. T can be taken as an Animal Companion with a -87 adjustment to your effective Druid Level. And you'll need the feat for making a Magical Beast animal companion.

It looks like he's got the math down. Beyond that, the Tarrasque is clearly a special case, and it's really up to the DM to approve it.

You might be able to get a toned down version by taking the Tarrasque, removing some HD, and maybe some immunities and features (in particular, the fact that it's unkillable), and scale it down. Maybe then you could get it much earlier, based on your RL diplomacy check with your DM.

Xefas
2008-04-03, 02:43 PM
It might just be easier to cast the Enslave epic spell on the Tarrasque. His Will save is only +20, which shouldn't be too difficult to overcome for an epic caster.

It costs you 2k XP to cast, but the Tarrasque would become your permanent, unquestioning minion.

And you get to keep your own Animal Companion, in addition.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-03, 06:50 PM
Why doesn't animal companion rank increase into epic category? It seems kind of weak that that's the case, familiars get buffs at epic levels.The Animal Companion continues to advance, but there is no "Epic Animal Companion" list anywhere on the SRD. Basically, once you reach level 20, you've got the most powerful animals you can have, and all that's left is for you to strengthen it.

Khanderas
2008-04-04, 01:43 AM
1: The Terrasque is a Magical Beast. Most of the time it takes a feat to get one of those as an Animal Companion.
2: The highest CR AC in core is CR 9, at level 19.
3: AC available CR does not continue to advance into epic.
4: No. Just, why. No. This is wrong. Do I even have to tell you why advancing a Terrasque is a bad idea? Especially since, if you die, it goes out of control. NO.
Amen !
Leave Mr T alone, Meanies !
5. Magic bounces off him most of the time (bad for control)
6. He is always hungry. Always.
7. Except when he is sleeping for a year at a time. Not fun to control a sleeping mountain.
8. Legends claim the T is a punishment left behind by a vengeful god. Don't play with the gods playthings, especially vengeful ones.

Skullossus
2008-04-04, 02:51 PM
Riding a Tarrasque isn't for druids, it's for epic level rodeo riders. They have clockwork ones in any good big city tavern.

I think you're better off animal companioning a dinosaur and telling everyone it's the Tarrasque. Most villagers won't know the difference.

Craig1f
2008-04-04, 02:55 PM
I think you're better off animal companioning a dinosaur and telling everyone it's the Tarrasque. Most villagers won't know the difference.

For some reason, that made me lol

Ossian
2008-04-04, 04:02 PM
Riding a Tarrasque isn't for druids, it's for epic level rodeo riders. They have clockwork ones in any good big city tavern.

Oh my God...that was sweet. Made me laugh hard. Good call Skullossus :smallbiggrin:

FlyMolo
2008-04-04, 11:15 PM

Hell, who needs a dinosaur? Take a housecat, and if anyone gives you crap, just order it to kill them. And it will.

Cuddly
2008-04-04, 11:21 PM
It might just be easier to cast the Enslave epic spell on the Tarrasque. His Will save is only +20, which shouldn't be too difficult to overcome for an epic caster.

A level 13 Psion can reliably dominate the tarrasque for 13 days (forever, basically) if he's moderately spec'd to do it.