PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone played Thief: The Dark Project?

RationalGoblin
2008-04-03, 05:40 PM
Because I have, and I can safely say it is one of the greatest games of all time. Great plot (and plot twists), great graphics (for 1998, when it was released), great gameplay, great innovative features (it was one of the first true stealth-style games), incredible voice acting, and finally, one of the best fantasy worlds I've ever seen.

For those who do not know what is game is, look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief:_The_Dark_Project).

Yet, almost no one I've met, (besides my family) has ever played the game. It's a classic, (in my opinion,) and they haven't played it. Why is this?

This thread is here to discuss a great game.

By the way, if you've played the game, what kind of gameplay style do you prefer? My family has been split, with some preferring to go head to head with enemies and cut them to pieces in broad daylight, (which, given this family member who utilizes this strategies skill level, works surprisingly well) or incredible amounts of stealth, taking out all lights, tiptoeing everywhere, preferring the blackjack and broadhead arrows as weapons, as they are the quietest weapons.

Myself, I prefer a mix between the two. I prefer stealth over open combat, but when I slip up and raise the "alarms" I go nuts and attack everyone with the sword and fire arrows.

Finally, I'll put this in a spoiler to not take up as much room on anyone's monitor:

For some reason, Thief doesn't work for me anymore. I can put in the disk, but when it loads up, the "Play" button is greyed out, and I cannot play Thief. Anyone know why this would happen?

Cainen
2008-04-03, 05:59 PM
Stealth. Always stealth. A game that allows stealth will have me using stealth effectively nine times out of ten, and more power to it if I'm the one controlling it and not my stats.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-04-03, 06:27 PM
Stealth. Always stealth. A game that allows stealth will have me using stealth effectively nine times out of ten, and more power to it if I'm the one controlling it and not my stats.

You must have tried Oblivion? :)

I never played any of the Thief game (Except a demo when I was about 15, didn't liked it). But now, I have played Oblivion recently, and definetly became addicted to stealth-playstyle.

So a game dedicated solely to it, I'll wet myself badly. I have to try this pearl!

Cainen
2008-04-03, 06:37 PM
You must have tried Oblivion? :)

I never played any of the Thief game (Except a demo when I was about 15, didn't liked it). But now, I have played Oblivion recently, and definetly became addicted to stealth-playstyle.

So a game dedicated solely to it, I'll wet myself badly. I have to try this pearl!

Yep, but I tried it with a mod that added things from the Thief games and also got rid of those psychic guards. Great once you mod it, but terrible beforehand. :smallannoyed:

Trazoi
2008-04-03, 06:38 PM
The Thief series is one of my all-time favourites. It's the only stealth-based game I've played that does stealth decently - it's the only game where you can stand perfectly still in complete darkness for five minutes while enjoying every second of it.

I play with stealth. For the last few playthroughs I always play on the top difficulty level where you can't kill anyone (human at least) and Garrett is extremely fragile. I find it more fun to blackjack guards than kill them, although it does get a bit ridiculous when you collect a pile of a dozen of them...

I was a bit disappointed that Thief III didn't have a difficulty mode where killing was forbidden, and even forced you to kill people to complete some mission objectives. In the first two Thief games Garrett could get through the entire set of missions without killing anyone except for the Big Bads at the end of each respective game, and even then he didn't kill them directly - he more put them in a position where they'd inadvertently kill themselves.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-03, 06:45 PM
The thief series is indeed great, though i don't hold Dark Project to be the best. The Metal Age was much superior in my opinion, partly because the maps didn't start encourage fighting towards the end, but upped the demand on stealth instead, and partly because i found the setting to become more interesting with the increased amount of. Also there were some really wonderfully designed levels in the game such as the police station or the bank.

Demented
2008-04-03, 08:06 PM
I blackjacked one of those exploding frogs. Actually, blackjacking everything that moved became a sort of hobby of mine. Even a trademark. Heck, blackjack the spiders...

Never tried to blackjack the woodsie lord, though. I was so joyous about beating the game that I didn't feel like going back to try.

Also, haunts weren't scary. The spectres were.
And that game had the best zombies. Ever.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-04-03, 08:11 PM
I plan to buy one of the games. (perhaps the other later), do you recommend, either story- or gameplay- wise one of them to begin with?

Winterwind
2008-04-03, 08:23 PM
Next to StarCraft, my very most favourite game of all times. Mostly for its story and atmosphere. I don't think there ever was a game I so very much wanted to play on just so I'd learn what would happen next.

@SolkaTruesilver: Gameplaywise, Dark Project and the Metal Age are about the same, but for story-reasons I'd suggest starting with Dark Project. Haven't found the time to get and play Thief 3 yet, which I intend to amend at some point in the not too distant future.

St.Sinner
2008-04-04, 02:11 AM
I love the Thief series. It's among the few first-person games I really got into, and Garrett is one of my favourite protagonists. The plot was great, the atmosphere was excellent - those zombies leaping out of nowhere had me yelping and screaming aloud a couple of times. I was actually squinting my eyes to see in the pitch darkness, and physically craning my neck trying to look around the corners - must have looked like a bloody fool, but it was just intense.

Personally I always chose stealth over combat any day. Sneaking up and clubbing enemies from behind, dragging their bodies off and dumping them in a pile - it was just so novel and brilliant at that time.

I tried to install Deadly Shadows just the other day but the discs were pretty damaged and wouldn't run :smallfrown: Damnation!

Trazoi
2008-04-04, 02:53 AM
I plan to buy one of the games. (perhaps the other later), do you recommend, either story- or gameplay- wise one of them to begin with?
I agree that you should play through them in order for story reasons. Gameplay wise Thief II - The Metal Age is the best in the series - the levels are more tightly designed and are even more massive than the first, and there are more levels with standard guards or Hammerite/Mechanists in them which are generally the better ones. But it's not that different from Thief - The Dark Project and the story is much better if you play through them in order.

The third in the series Thief - Deadly Shadows is the prettiest but doesn't quite have the same feel as the others. Although okay in general it didn't feel to me it wrapped up the series as well as it could (although the very last bit of dialogue in the ending movie was perfect).

Pronounceable
2008-04-04, 05:43 AM
Thief is among the greatest game series. Garrett is a potential man crush for any guy (up there with Johnny Depp).

That said, I don't like spelunking. Why would a master thief go skulking around abandoned ruins and underground caves? Treasure, I know. But still, I don't like it.

I know that first game was designed around story. For the second, levels were made, then a story written to bind them. That's probably the reason second is considered the best gameplay.

I played 3 first, so I already knew the main story. When I started on 1, it was great. But the mines, then the caves... I didn't play past first few levels. But it was still great.

Now, no Thief thread would be complete without mentioning the Shalebridge Cradle. The largest level on Deadly Shadows, it's the most scariest, creepiest game level ever. The main reason for not replaying Thief 3 is the Cradle.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-04-04, 06:02 AM
This is the only Thief game I haven't played, though I never finished the final level of The Metal Age.

Trazoi
2008-04-04, 06:30 AM
That said, I don't like spelunking. Why would a master thief go skulking around abandoned ruins and underground caves? Treasure, I know. But still, I don't like it.

I know that first game was designed around story. For the second, levels were made, then a story written to bind them. That's probably the reason second is considered the best gameplay.
I think the issue with the first game was that the designers weren't that certain how well a stealth based FPS would go down. So they tried to mix it up with a whole bunch of different level types, not realising until afterwards that the stealth based missions in civilisation were the fan favourites. The main gripe against the first Thief is that there were too many missions crawling with undead, which weren't as much fun as guards calling out "Where are you, you taffer?!"

I played 3 first, so I already knew the main story. When I started on 1, it was great. But the mines, then the caves... I didn't play past first few levels. But it was still great.
Aw, you never got up to the plot! It doesn't really start until about the fifth mission (when you meet up with Viktoria for the first time). Plus you probably missed my favourite mission ("Assassins" I think it was called) which is right after the caves, where you have to send the leader of the thieves guild a message by stealing his purse right from his belt. That one was brilliant.

Now, no Thief thread would be complete without mentioning the Shalebridge Cradle. The largest level on Deadly Shadows, it's the most scariest, creepiest game level ever. The main reason for not replaying Thief 3 is the Cradle.
Eh, while Shalebridge Cradle was probably one of the better levels in Thief 3, and up there on the "scary" factor, I didn't find it that terrifying personally (not compared with pretty much the entirety of System Shock 2).

Minor spoilers for Shalebridge Cradle contained within:

What got me is they went way overboard with the obvious creepiness. An abandoned orphanage combined with a Victorian-style insane asylum? :smallconfused: Combined with all the hype about the level, it didn't make anything there that unexpected.

For me, the scariest level in the Thief series was one of the ones in Thief 2: The Metal Age. I can't remember the name, but I'll describe the mission as well as I can remember it in this spoiler (warning: is long and does contain a fair amount of spoilers for the middle of the story of Thief 2):

It was roughly before the middle of the plot. Garrett was tracking the murderer of the sheriff from a previous mission. The mission before starts in the city as you slowly follow the suspect throughout the town. Your mark then gets shot with an arrow and flees into the cemetery. You follow and find a magic portal that leads... somewhere outside the city.

This next level is outside the city in a Pagan settlement - which if you've played the original Thief will already start to creep you out a little. Nature in Thief represents Chaos and is unpredictable, and tends to have a whole bunch of off-putting sounds assigned to it.

All you have is a trail of blood to follow, which leads for ages through a whole bunch of increasingly built up Pagan settlements, inhabited by creatures that aren't quite human. The scary part about this is there are Will-o-the-Wisps floating around which brightly illuminate the area around them, making it very easy to spot you. I find it ironic in Thief that bright light is a lot scarier than darkness. :smallamused:

Finally after a long trek, you come to the end of the trail... the corpse of the guy you were following. He bled to death before he reached his destination at the start of this creepy forest. Now you've got no path to follow, and you're lost in an extremely unknown environment. The weird nature sounds reach a high point around now.

After you take a few steps in the forest, there's this rustling sound around you, and then suddenly these tree-like things just rush at you from all directions! If you don't keep running in the right direction, you die - quickly. This bit always scares the pants off me, no matter how many times I've played the mission.

After a bit of this you reach an important story point, but that's irrelevant to the discussion :smallsmile:

factotum
2008-04-04, 06:48 AM
Both the first two Thief games were awesome. There's an irritating bug in the first game which can cause it to crash when switching from a menu screen to the play screen, though...they fixed that via a configuration option in one of the game files in Thief 2, but never back-ported it to the first game. Means you don't want to save the game very often in case the game crashes when you switch back from the save screen!

As far as atmosphere goes, I actually preferred 1 to 2. The ancient city ruins were much creepier when you didn't have a load of Hammerite archaeologists and metal seeing-heads around the place!

Pronounceable
2008-04-04, 07:36 AM
Minor spoilers for Shalebridge Cradle contained within:

What got me is they went way overboard with the obvious creepiness. An abandoned orphanage combined with a Victorian-style insane asylum? :smallconfused: Combined with all the hype about the level, it didn't make anything there that unexpected.

So you knew there was a ramped up scare level. Get your memories erased, replay the game, stumble into the Cradle, then tell me it's not scary.

Winterwind
2008-04-04, 07:40 AM
My only problem is that both Thief 1 and 2 stop displaying the videos for me after a while, and I have to reinstall if I want to keep seeing them (and considering the story and immersion factor of these games, these videos are crucial!). It's horribly annoying. :smallfrown:

Premier
2008-04-04, 08:31 AM
Some of the best games of all time.

Now, what needs to be mentioned is the Through the Looking Glass forums, where there's a thriving community of FM (fan mission) makers. Lots of great stuff there.

RationalGoblin
2008-04-04, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! You can keep talking about Thief if you want, but I achieved the original purpose of this thread: To confirm that there were indeed many other Thief players besides me.

Also, I just watched a video on Youtube of a cutscene in The Dark Project.

Spoiler Alert!

This (http://youtube.com/watch?v=34g2uiqD4VU&feature=related) in particular.

Constantine is so very awesome, especially when he reveals himself to be the Trickster. His dialogue in that video is great: "Victoria, are you prepared to give Mr. Garrett his.... compensation?" Holy crap, I was not prepared for that the first time I played.

And then his monologue: "Did you think those ancient phrases were mere words, manfool? Look at me! I am the Woodsie Lord, the Trickster of legend! If you be thirsty, fleshling, drink of me! If you be hungry, feed your eye on the Honeymaker and the Judgeberry!"

Again, holy crap. Best nature-themed villain ever. One of the few nature villains I've seen that scare the living daylights out of me. And those titles would usually be funny, but here, with Constantine, they are frightening.

Anyone agree?

Trazoi
2008-04-04, 05:12 PM
So you knew there was a ramped up scare level. Get your memories erased, replay the game, stumble into the Cradle, then tell me it's not scary.
If only I could selectively erase my memories of games. Those adventure games would be a lot more fun a second time round if I didn't know exactly how to solve every puzzle...

Don't get me wrong cnsvnc: Shalebridge Cradle is a very well done, scary level. It just didn't hit my own personal scare levers as much as other elements in Through the Looking Glass games (they do "scary" quite often, it seems :smallwink:). And in Thief the nature parts freak me out a bit more than usual, possibly due to those particular characters mentioned in CrazyFatGoblin's spoiler above (I agree with with your question in there, CrazyFatGoblin).

SolkaTruesilver
2008-04-04, 07:56 PM
If only I could selectively erase my memories of games. Those adventure games would be a lot more fun a second time round if I didn't know exactly how to solve every puzzle...

And I could enjoy KOTOR for the first time another time :smallbiggrin:

Chibiqueso
2008-04-04, 10:08 PM
I completely agree with Trazoi about that particular part of thief 2

And after you perform that ritual and end up in the underground like area with those ape-men...things, that level gets even creepier

Karrus(I think that was his name, or was it Karsus?) was a very good antagonist also. The cutscene where Viktoria storms the Mechanist stronghold/temple kind of upset me, mainly because Viktoria was such an awesome character.

Theodoriph
2008-04-04, 10:28 PM
Thief was completely awesome. I never finished the game though. Unfortunately one day, I discovered that the movie files were viewable (not encoded in any way) and so I just watched the cut scenes and after that...didn't feel like finishing the levels to get them :smallfrown: It is quite good though.

Pyro
2008-04-04, 11:00 PM
Last I tried to play Thief I was about 11 and I didn't like it much then. The caves and zombies freaked me out and there was more emphasis on combat than stealth. Then by the end I just gave up because to me it became pure combat and honestly Garret is a wimp.

However before I played Thief 1, I played Thief 2, which was amazing. Again, towards the end it became more supernatural and less "What a thief would actually do", but I played through 90% of the levels. My favorite would have to be when you were going across the city rooftops to get to a bank or something. I forget the situation, but the level was amazing. I also look forward to finding time to play Thief 3. I hear it's not quite the same as the others, but the demo was mostly fun so I'll go for it soon.

Winterwind
2008-04-05, 12:17 AM
I keep hearing that Thief 3 is different from the others - could somebody please elaborate how it is different? (I intend to get it sooner or later after all - preferably rather sooner than later - and I'd like to know beforehand whether this would be a wise move or not :smallwink: )

SirSigfried
2008-04-05, 12:38 AM
Theif 3 is the only one of the series that I have played, and I can say that it is worth it.

As to how it is different.... all that I will say is keep your enemies close and your allies closer.:smallwink:

As a matter of fact I'm gonna play it right now.

Trazoi
2008-04-05, 01:13 AM
As to how it is different.... all that I will say is keep your enemies close and your allies closer.:smallwink:
Actually that bit is the same from the original Thiefs (Thieves? :smallconfused:). You can't really trust anyone in the Thief world.

It's been a while since I've played the Thief games and I only played through Deadly Shadows once, but there were some significant differences:

Garretts thieves code of honour is significantly watered down - there's no "no killing" rule on the top difficulty, one extra mission explicitly asks you to kill someone, and one core mission implicitly needs to kill someone to solve it (although if you really work hard it might be possible to get around that; I tried my hardest but couldn't do it. This might annoy me more than most people though.
The levels are much smaller than in the original two games. Most are split up into sub-levels you need to sit through loading screens to cycle through. Even when you take that into account, most levels seem rather small by Thief standards. Maybe not by regular game standard though - the original levels in Thief and especially Thief II were huge.
You now have the City as a sort of "hub" in between missions. You need to fence your goods and buy supplies manually now rather than just sell everything at the end of a mission. I'm not sure if this is better or not - in the original games you knew you could use everything you had, but I tended to hoard things more in Thief III. Also with the restriction of level sizes The City looks a lot smaller than in the original games - the bits in the City you play through in a single mission in Thief II are larger than the entire City in Thief III.
No rope arrows. They've got climbing claw things instead which don't seem to be as useful.
The levels didn't seem quite as non-linear as the previous ones, although that might just be to the lack of rope arrows and my lack of subsequent play throughs.
The Big Bad at the end of the game wasn't up to the same level as the original two. Don't get me wrong: the Big Bad is pretty creepy like you'd expect, but didn't quite seem as "epic" as the other two. This might be because the bar was set quite high in the previous two. Plus the last level was a bit of a let-down compared to the awesomely epic last levels in Thief and Thief II.

While that's quite a list, the one big thing Thief III does right is feel like a Thief game. And the very last part of the last cutscene was nicely done.

Overall, it's a good game, and I'd heartily recommend playing it both to finish the trilogy and as a good game in its own right. It just wasn't up to the same awesome level as the original two in my opinion.

factotum
2008-04-05, 01:46 AM
I thought Thief 3 actually got the atmosphere of the first two down pretty well--yes, it wasn't as good a GAME, but it felt right, which to me is the main thing when playing in such an awesomely constructed world.

The writing was always the best thing in the Thief series anyway. There's that book you find somewhere in Thief 1 which has the following in it:

"Before death came, the liars were made to feast upon the hands of the thieves, and the thieves were made to ingest the tongues of their liar brothers; and we praised the Master Builder for his judgements." -The Hammer Book of Tenets

That single sentence tells you pretty much everything you ever need to know about the Hammerites...

Winterwind
2008-04-05, 08:45 AM
Alright, thanks for answering my question.
Guess I'll have to make sure to pick up Thief 3 as soon as possible. :smallcool:

Tom_Violence
2008-04-05, 09:26 AM
One thing that I find odd about the Thief games is that, despite the sheer amount of horror games I've played, this series has terrified me more than any other. There's just something about sneaking down a corridor with all the care in the world, thinking you've done it all perfectly, then turning around just a bit and coming face to face with a guard that you never saw coming. Its one of those games that I end up playing with headphones on and my nose pressed right up against the screen so I don't miss a single thing.

Shame that the 3rd one didn't work on my laptop, really.

Pronounceable
2008-04-05, 10:31 AM
Garretts thieves code of honour is significantly watered down - there's no "no killing" rule on the top difficulty, one extra mission explicitly asks you to kill someone, and one core mission implicitly needs to kill someone to solve it (although if you really work hard it might be possible to get around that; I tried my hardest but couldn't do it. This might annoy me more than most people though.

What killing is that? Only essential "killings" were at Cradle AFAIR, and that's to PRESEVE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH!!! (sorry for triple !s) Plus the badguy's servants towards the end. Though destruction seem a better word in those instances.

Trazoi
2008-04-05, 06:40 PM
What killing is that? Only essential "killings" were at Cradle AFAIR, and that's to PRESEVE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH!!! (sorry for triple !s) Plus the badguy's servants towards the end. Though destruction seem a better word in those instances.
I played through Deadly Shadows with my usual strategy of not killing any humans (self-enforced in this case), and I remember there were two cases which violated this rule.

One was an extra mission in the middle of the City, where you are told to kill some lowlife for a reason I can't quite remember (maybe he was blackmailing you, or you just had a grudge?). I'm afraid I can't really remember more info than this; a lot of the missions that tracked through the City hub have blurred in my mind. It was a bonus mission so technically you could avoid it.

The second was earlier in the game in the Pagan complex. At the end of the mission you need to perform a ritual, and one element was blood. There might be a way to get blood without killing anyone, but I'd already blackjacked everyone in the immediate vicinity and I spent ages trying to get Garrett to injure himself in a way that would bleed.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-04-05, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! You can keep talking about Thief if you want, but I achieved the original purpose of this thread: To confirm that there were indeed many other Thief players besides me.

Also, I just watched a video on Youtube of a cutscene in The Dark Project.

Spoiler Alert!

This (http://youtube.com/watch?v=34g2uiqD4VU&feature=related) in particular.

Constantine is so very awesome, especially when he reveals himself to be the Trickster. His dialogue in that video is great: "Victoria, are you prepared to give Mr. Garrett his.... compensation?" Holy crap, I was not prepared for that the first time I played.

And then his monologue: "Did you think those ancient phrases were mere words, manfool? Look at me! I am the Woodsie Lord, the Trickster of legend! If you be thirsty, fleshling, drink of me! If you be hungry, feed your eye on the Honeymaker and the Judgeberry!"

Again, holy crap. Best nature-themed villain ever. One of the few nature villains I've seen that scare the living daylights out of me. And those titles would usually be funny, but here, with Constantine, they are frightening.

Anyone agree?

Totally. The build up to it was just great. I read all of the between-level messages, found as much text as possible, and it got me pretty deep into the games setting. I felt mostly "meh, people and their silly mythologies", but really liked it.

And then Constantine ripped Garrets eye out and my pulse skyrockted. "Oh my god! The Tricksters real!" :smalleek: Only time I remember being scared while playing a game. Sure, I tried playing Resident Evil a bit until I hated the camera angles and got a shock or two from it, but this downright scared me. Completely worth it :smallbiggrin:

I've already played through Thief 1, loved it. Sorta disliked all the sword-ape things at the end and that I couldn't sneak around them with my meager skills, but I loved watching the Trickster blowing up at the end.

I got Thief 2 recently, and have only partially played through the first level so far. Seems a bit the same so far, but I'll have to keep playing longer before giving that judgment.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-05, 07:18 PM
Thief 2 has the same core gameplay, but with much less apemen and many more places where you cannot just blakjack the guards and dumb them. So the gameplay will be much more sneaking focused later on. The last level is pure sneaking, no blackjacking or possibility for fighting at all.

And i agree that those cutscenes are quite creepy. Part of why is the fairly unique visual style and coloration of how they are played, though the creepy mythologies and the rather unique form of steampunk help. But really Thief has such a neat setting that i could go on. The very first cutscene in Metal Age where Garrett meets the Keepers is quite atmospheric as well.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-04-05, 08:44 PM
Thief 2 has the same core gameplay, but with much less apemen and many more places where you cannot just blakjack the guards and dumb them. So the gameplay will be much more sneaking focused later on. The last level is pure sneaking, no blackjacking or possibility for fighting at all.

Well, that sounds good then, since the gameplay was just excellent in the first place. It should be a fun challenge to not just sneak about and systematically knock out every guard in the place :smallbiggrin:

And i agree that those cutscenes are quite creepy. Part of why is the fairly unique visual style and coloration of how they are played, though the creepy mythologies and the rather unique form of steampunk help. But really Thief has such a neat setting that i could go on. The very first cutscene in Metal Age where Garrett meets the Keepers is quite atmospheric as well.

I'll look forward to getting to that cutscene; I always wanted to see more of the keepers. The setting is quite interesting, and I would so much like to be able to see more of it and it's components.

RationalGoblin
2008-04-05, 10:15 PM
I'll look forward to getting to that cutscene; I always wanted to see more of the keepers. The setting is quite interesting, and I would so much like to be able to see more of it and it's components.

If you want to get more into the history of the setting, or even want to know more about the Keepers, I think you're out of luck. Besides the games themselves, I don't think Looking Glass Studios released any books or whatnot about Thief.

However, there is a silver lining to this. Since theres almost nothing known about the history of Thief and the City, where all the action takes place, you can just create your own facts about it.

And since Thief doesn't have much special complicated magic and whatnot, and it's mostly low-magic, you can even re-create Thief (especially Garrett, who's probably just a high-level Rogue with a magic eye) in tabletop games easily. And what tabletop game is better to play Thief in then the granddaddy of them all, D&D?

In fact, back in 2007, on these very boards, I attempted to play in a Thief-based D&D game.

I'd like to trying playing that sort of game again. Anyone else interested?

Demented
2008-04-05, 10:21 PM
What's the point if you can't become invisible in doorways? =P

Terraoblivion
2008-04-05, 10:22 PM
Even as nervous as i am about making a properly working D&D character i think it would be awesome to try a game based on Thief. It is a really nice series of games and would be nice for roleplaying as well.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-04-05, 10:35 PM
I think I would be very interested in playing a Thief based adventure or campaign. Start one up and I'll be there in a flash :smallbiggrin:

RationalGoblin
2008-04-05, 10:58 PM
I think I would be very interested in playing a Thief based adventure or campaign. Start one up and I'll be there in a flash :smallbiggrin:

Problem is, I've never DMed before, and don't plan to. I have the time to be a player, but I don't have the time, inclination, or attention span to be a DM.

So let's just see if we can get someone else to DM.

And, in case anyone wants to know, in the last Thief game, I rolled up a hobo with an excessive amount of knives who was actually a Keeper... Hmm... I gotta work on my character concepts... and stop using ellipses.

King_of_GRiffins
2008-04-05, 11:08 PM
I know how you feel Crazy. I could probably make and run an adventure, but I don't think anyone wants to wait the next three weeks for it to start, and wait for once every two weeks posting....

And you know, I do that excessive knife thing with every Rogue I play. At least ten concealed daggers.. You know, just in case.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-04-06, 12:20 AM
If And since Thief doesn't have much special complicated magic and whatnot, and it's mostly low-magic, you can even re-create Thief (especially Garrett, who's probably just a high-level Rogue with a magic eye) in tabletop games easily. And what tabletop game is better to play Thief in then the granddaddy of them all, D&D?

In fact, back in 2007, on these very boards, I attempted to play in a Thief-based D&D game.

I'll have to disgress about that. I think Warhammer Fantasy Role Play would serve as a better rule setting, along with the proper creepiness, steampunk and magical involvement.

the Keepers would be Shadowmancers, and the Hammerites would be Sigmarites (not that much of a difference, when you think about it).

Trazoi
2008-04-06, 12:31 AM
Mildly on the same topic: does anyone else think that the Thief series, if converted with an expert touch, would make a truly excellent movie (or trilogy of movies?) I think the basics of the plot of each game would fit a two-hour movie really well, and if it was filmed in the style of opening sequences and with plenty of shadow it'd go down great.

Cainen
2008-04-06, 12:35 AM
Oh man. I just remembered something.

How many of you berks(no offense intended, Planescape fans) have Unreal Tournament '99? There was a Thievery mod for it that played somewhat like a faster Thief, but it was multiplayer; one team played as the guards, the other played as thieves. We would have to make sure everyones' brightness was properly set so it'd be fair, but it would be awesome if we managed to pull it off and have a great multiplayer game.

Trazoi
2008-04-06, 12:39 AM
Oh man. I just remembered something.

How many of you berks(no offense intended, Planescape fans) have Unreal Tournament '99? There was a Thievery mod for it that played somewhat like a faster Thief, but it was multiplayer; one team played as the guards, the other played as thieves. We would have to make sure everyones' brightness was properly set so it'd be fair, but it would be awesome if we managed to pull it off and have a great multiplayer game.
I remember that mod. I only ever played it once against my brother on a local network, so it wasn't really as intended. The problem we had was that thieves were insanely good at hiding, so in our game my brother (as the thief) just had to run into a dimly lit room and I (as the guard) had no hope of subduing him. He'd just hit me with an arrow from a dark corner, I'd rush at his position and he'd just *blink* into invisibility again (to hit me in the back again two seconds later).

Cainen
2008-04-06, 01:26 AM
I remember that mod. I only ever played it once against my brother on a local network, so it wasn't really as intended. The problem we had was that thieves were insanely good at hiding, so in our game my brother (as the thief) just had to run into a dimly lit room and I (as the guard) had no hope of subduing him. He'd just hit me with an arrow from a dark corner, I'd rush at his position and he'd just *blink* into invisibility again (to hit me in the back again two seconds later).

Well, I'm sure it'd be great with, say, ten people who don't do something stupid like that.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-04-06, 11:07 AM

Well, make it a 3 Guards Vs 1 Thief? :smallsmile:

Terraoblivion
2008-04-06, 01:43 PM
I say that it would, Trazoi. All three games have nice plots and the setting is interesting which would make for nice movies. They should probably drop some of the various missions from each game. No need for much time spent on the first three missions in Metal Age for example.

RationalGoblin
2008-04-11, 07:59 PM
If you want to get more into the history of the setting, or even want to know more about the Keepers, I think you're out of luck. Besides the games themselves, I don't think Looking Glass Studios released any books or whatnot about Thief.

However, there is a silver lining to this. Since theres almost nothing known about the history of Thief and the City, where all the action takes place, you can just create your own facts about it.

And since Thief doesn't have much special complicated magic and whatnot, and it's mostly low-magic, you can even re-create Thief (especially Garrett, who's probably just a high-level Rogue with a magic eye) in tabletop games easily. And what tabletop game is better to play Thief in then the granddaddy of them all, D&D?

I don't suppose anyone is interested then? Still, I'll try again. I'd gladly play a Thief based game, but I won't DM.