PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite first level spell?

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-03, 06:44 PM
Apologies if someone else has already posted Wired magazine's look at 1st level D&D sorcerer/wizard spells.

Link: Alt Text Video: Surveying D&D's Entry-Level Spells (http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/04/alt-text-video.html)

Enjoy! :smallsmile:

drengnikrafe
2008-04-03, 07:06 PM
I'm really new to magic, so I'm not sure I have a "favorite", per se, but I have several that I really like...

Alarm
Unseen Servent (surprising number of combat uses for a non combat spell...)
Color Spray (For lower levels? Lifesaver)
Identify, if you have a DM that doesn't tell you what magic items do

I only have my 3.5 Players Manual on me right now, so I'm probably missing a bunch of good ones form the Spell Compedium...

its_all_ogre
2008-04-03, 07:14 PM
personal favourites ray of enfeeblement and grease, both on the party dwarf fighter for extra giggles!
hide from animals is also good fun!

senrath
2008-04-03, 07:18 PM
Grease is probably my favorite. Gotta love all the things you can do with it.

Talya
2008-04-03, 07:22 PM
Favorite by the time first level spells are mostly useless:

Nerveskitter. It never wears out its usefulness.

hylian chozo
2008-04-03, 07:40 PM
Grease is a good spell, very versatile. Color spray is also very good; but my favorite would have to be silent image, it's just a very open-ended spell that is useful until you get minor image.

Nohwl
2008-04-03, 07:48 PM
i really like identify. feather fall is another one i like too.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-04-03, 07:51 PM
Identify, if you have a DM that doesn't tell you what magic items do

>.> What the hell else would Identify be used for?....Why else would the DM tell you what magic items do?

senrath
2008-04-03, 07:51 PM
The only problem I have with Identify is its material components:

A pearl of at least 100 gp value, crushed and stirred into wine with an owl feather; the infusion must be drunk prior to spellcasting.

That's pretty expensive for a low level spell, although it does come in handy later.

Chronos
2008-04-03, 07:55 PM
My top three would have to be:

1: Silent Image
2: Silent Image
3: Silent Image.

It's just so versatile. Often, making someone think that something is so is just as good as actually making it so, which means that this humble first level spell can often effectively duplicate a spell of much higher level.

drengnikrafe
2008-04-03, 08:01 PM
>.> What the hell else would Identify be used for?....Why else would the DM tell you what magic items do?

Nah, I'm referring to the part where my DM decides that spending 5 minutes trying to work out what a piece of equipment does is a waste of time, and just tells us what it's called, and usually what it does.
DM: He's wearing a breastplate of armor surging.
Me: What does that do?
DM: *Grins*
That was a really creative effect...

Dark Knight Renee
2008-04-03, 08:14 PM
Magic Missile, because I like blasters.

Too bad blasters are poorly supported at best and everything else is a much better option, even in-character :smallannoyed:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-03, 08:17 PM
Magic missile too, here. Yeah, it is mostly teh suxxorz, but it spawned one of the best and most finely balanced spells I've seen, Mordenkainen's Force/concussive missiles.

Corsec1337
2008-04-03, 08:19 PM
I've got to give a shout out to Magic Missile. Never fails... unless it has spell resistence but we don't like to talk about that.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-03, 08:20 PM
I'm with the grease crowd on this one.

drengnikrafe
2008-04-03, 08:20 PM
Magic Missile, because I like blasters.

Too bad blasters are poorly supported at best and everything else is a much better option, even in-character :smallannoyed:

I believe that Blasters are the best introductory choice for new Casters. It's not that difficult to get the start of a grasp on magic with just "I blow that up" type mentality, and if they like magic they'll build it from there out of sheer fastenation (Or maybe that's just how I got into magics). Either way, I like blasters too.

EDIT: I totally forgot the main point of this response... I don't particularly like Magic Missle because it's... really kind of weak. Sure, it's an automatic hit, but it doesn't feel like it makes enough of a difference... Sorry about that.

EDIT AGAIN: Curse my overly verbose nature! Sorry about complaining about Magic Missle, I just don't really like it that much. Sorry all you guys.

Glyde
2008-04-03, 08:22 PM
Lantern light for two reasons:

Eye lasers

Spell Component involves sex

skywalker
2008-04-03, 08:26 PM
Magic Missile is cool because it ALWAYS hits.

My favorite is sleep. Grease is nice, color spray owns, but there's nothing like putting a room of orcs to sleep and slitting their throats while they slumber.(At least for me)

Ooh, ooh, bonus points: Expeditious Retreat!

EDIT: I think Lantern Light is fun, too, altho I could sworn it wasn't first level? I also think it should be mentioned, it involves abstaining from sex. Not sex. Big difference there.

TheThan
2008-04-03, 08:27 PM
I’ll go with true strike. Because missing sucks

For second level I’ll go with snowball swarm from Spell Compendium.
Because the imagery is just great.

Collin152
2008-04-03, 08:45 PM
Rouse.
Nothings better than a first level spell weaker than cantrips.

Enguhl
2008-04-03, 08:51 PM
Magic missile is the single coolest thing ever. I made a magic missile sorcerer once (with the meta magic sorc variant) and was going to be throwing out lvl 5+ magic missiles, but alas it never got played...

Deepblue706
2008-04-03, 08:56 PM
I'm caught between Jump, Charm Person, and Obscuring Mist.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-03, 09:05 PM
Nerveskitter, Shield, and Ray of Enfeeblement for Arcane.

Sign and Divine Favor for Divine.

Grommen
2008-04-03, 09:23 PM
Grease
Followed by a Flaming Sphere or some other fire inducing spell. (Yes in my world Grease is flammable)

Quite Fond of Color Spray too and it's bigger brother Prismatic Spray.

sonofzeal
2008-04-03, 10:19 PM
Produce Flame. Compare to Call Lightning - very similar but more reliable damage, uses a Ranged Touch attack which is especially easy to pump for a Druid (anything small with high Dex), and two spell levels earlier. Stops being useful around lvl7-9 but hey, you're a Druid, you didn't have to permanently learn it or anything.

My very first campaign-smasher was a Halfling Druid5/Rogue1. Getting a Sneak off with a fire attack is a bit harder, but the results were worth it, especially since I was effectively getting +3 to my attack roll from being a Halfling (size, dex, and technically it's "thrown"...)

Kurald Galain
2008-04-04, 04:18 AM
My top three would have to be:

1: Silent Image
2: Silent Image
3: Silent Image.

Completely agreed.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-04, 04:25 AM
For Arcane, I'd go with Identiy or Unseen servant. For Divine, I'd go with Lesser Vigour (I'd love to be able to se that in real life).

raygungothic
2008-04-04, 05:51 AM
Silent Image's versatility is really dependent on the attitude of your GM. Some people are way too harsh - giving every NPC so many chances to save, then having them get furious with the party for the trickery - others are too lax, and let you get away with just about anything. I try to stick somewhere in the middle, but know I tend to err on the lax side - my present party doesn't cast illusions, though, so I'm not getting any practice.

As for my favourites...

"Expeditious retreat! Expeditious retreat!"... it's a little ambiguous as to whether it stacks with Jump, but most people I play with think it does, and it's an awesome combination.

Sleep is pretty good at low levels, though less handy later.

serow
2008-04-04, 11:50 AM
I'm sure I actually have spells that I actually like more, but the first that springs into mind is Cure Light Wounds.

Paul H
2008-04-04, 06:09 PM
I'm sure I actually have spells that I actually like more, but the first that springs into mind is Cure Light Wounds.

Hi

I think they're looking for Arcane spells, not Divine. (Yes I know, with Arcane Disciple, Healing Domain, Cure Lt wnds is 1st lvl Arcane).

If Divine spells were allowed, then Identify (Domain spell, so uses DF, no components).

As for Arcane - still 'horses for courses'. Lssr Acid Orb is a good one - no save, no SR. Crits on 20, x2 damage. Better empowered, or cast by Warmage (int bonus to damage). Warmage with good int and Sudden Empower is just vicious.

Cheers
Paul H

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-04, 06:22 PM
charm person can be fun

bibliophile
2008-04-04, 06:37 PM
Protection from Evil. You can't be touched by non-good summuned creatures, you're virtually immune to mind control, and you get a save and AC bonus. Three great effects for the price of one!

SamTheCleric
2008-04-04, 06:41 PM
I never stop casting Shield. I <3 Shield.

Collin152
2008-04-04, 07:14 PM
Hi

I think they're looking for Arcane spells, not Divine. (Yes I know, with Arcane Disciple, Healing Domain, Cure Lt wnds is 1st lvl Arcane).

If Divine spells were allowed, then Identify (Domain spell, so uses DF, no components).

As for Arcane - still 'horses for courses'. Lssr Acid Orb is a good one - no save, no SR. Crits on 20, x2 damage. Better empowered, or cast by Warmage (int bonus to damage). Warmage with good int and Sudden Empower is just vicious.

Cheers
Paul H
CLW is arcane.
Bards cast it.

SurlySeraph
2008-04-04, 08:53 PM
My overall favorite is Magic Missile. It stays at least a little useful forever, and it's just so iconic.

My favorite in terms of what's actually useful is Shield.

My favorite in terms of fun things you can do with it is Chill Touch. If you use unarmed strikes regularly, get an item of it. Congratulations, you can drive off the undead and cripple the living with your touch! Really. Use it with the Fell Drain metamagic feat. Congratulations, now you can drain levels like a vampire!

Ted_Stryker
2008-04-04, 10:22 PM
Mage Armor is kind of nice in terms of AC bonus and duration. True Strike is the best 1st level spell to Quicken. It's not too bad by itself, either. The Lesser Orbs are nice, too.

FlyMolo
2008-04-05, 12:07 AM
Stuff that's killed me: Magic missile, sudden empowered and maximized.. Arena matches suck. Stupid warmages. I think this happened twice.

Stuff that saves my life regularly: Shield. Psionically, it's force screen, but works the exact same way. AC 20 at first level? Yes please. Only the combat optimized Arena peeps can hit me ever. Or my silly broken psicrystal blasty familiar.

And stuff that's not really a spell, but so damn handy? Crawling tattoos. You don't even need to be psionic to use them. I particularly like the entangling ectoplasm ones, mostly for the mental image. Fighter pokes himself in the temple, a tattoo of a swollen cockroach drops off, scuttles across the room, then explodes in gooey tentacles, trapping the ogre.

GammaPaladin
2008-04-05, 01:11 AM
True Strike is extra fun when you're multiclassed (Or Gestalted) with a Martial Adept class of some sort.

Cast True Strike. Now initiate Mountain Tombstone Strike.

My personal favorite is Magic Missile though. You can't not like that spell. It's a law.

Though, if I'm going to play a blaster I'm typically going to go Psion.

Reinboom
2008-04-05, 01:22 AM
Benign Transposition

Early on, the tactics are limitless (especially with a flying familiar)

Later on, the tactics are a little less showy, however, as a 1st level spell - it is easily quickened, and thus still offers amazing tactics.

I love this spell.

True Strike is extra fun when you're multiclassed (Or Gestalted) with a Martial Adept class of some sort.

Cast True Strike. Now initiate Mountain Tombstone Strike.

2 rounds for that is not worth it. In short, true strike = trap.
Rounds are your most valuable asset.

Unless you don't expect to hit once within 2 turns.

GammaPaladin
2008-04-05, 01:41 AM
I'm thinking for those occasions when you're up against something with an absurdly twinked AC that you can only just hit on a natural 20. Add in True Strike, and suddenly you only miss on a natural 1. Good deal.

But note that if you can Quicken it, you can use it and use a Blade Magic strike maneuver in the same round.

Fiery Diamond
2008-04-05, 01:48 AM
Three I also take as a sorcerer- Magic Missile, Shield, Mage Armor.

Other favorites- Enlarge Person, Identify, Grease.

My top two favorite spells overall, though, are 0th and 2nd: Message(yay, play with people's minds- they don't need to be willing targets for you to cast the spell and talk to them from a distance!) and Scorching Ray (because I'm a pyro)

-Fiery Diamond

Grynning
2008-04-05, 02:53 AM
This thread reminded me of my 2nd lvl sorcerer, Enzite the Enhancer...Enlarge Person on the warrior at 2nd level wins.
I also enjoy Silent Image, Shield, and Magic Missile - especially when the latter is cast at the darkness.

Bauglir
2008-04-05, 09:59 AM
Prestidigitation.

What? Hexblades have it as a 1st level spell, and it's worth it. Prestidigitation is awesome, even at a spell level higher than normal.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-05, 10:13 AM
Technically it's an infusion, but personal weapon augmentation is made of so much win it isn't even funny.

Glyde
2008-04-05, 05:53 PM
EDIT: I think Lantern Light is fun, too, altho I could sworn it wasn't first level? I also think it should be mentioned, it involves abstaining from sex. Not sex. Big difference there.

Yeah, it's first level - though it's divine. I thought it was sanctified for some reason.

What do sanctified spells count as anyway? Divine, arcane, both or what?

Nychta
2008-04-05, 06:24 PM
Magic Missile.

Look, even at 10th level my sorceress uses it to get herself out of tight spots. It's guaranteed to hit, and affects incorporeal creatures.
From a damage perspective, it's the best.

However, at a low level when you tend to run away from stuff, silent image is great. If you have another caster who can cast ghost sound, better.

EDIT: And of course, Prestidigitation: which is, in my gaming group, the most iconic after Magic Missile and Fireball.

Skullossus
2008-04-06, 11:45 AM
I liked Unseen Servant a lot because it's useful in a lot of situations for several levels.