PDA

View Full Version : "Take it outside, folks..." (no politics/religion question)

13_CBS
2008-04-03, 08:51 PM
I've read over all of the rules and a few threads, and I haven't found any rules or mod decisions directly opposing this idea:

I would like permission to create a separate forum entirely unassociated with Giantitp, created specifically for Playgrounders to discuss potentially intellectual, but Giantitp-banned, topics. I (and others whom I will choose) will moderate this new forum myself, or ourselves.

Playgrounders who "take it outside" must, of course, obey the "leave the baggage at the door" rule when they come back to the Playground. Anyone who does not will be banned from this separate forum, and will likely be judged appropriately by the mods here as well.

Again, this forum will not be associated in any way with Giantitp aside from letting our more scholarly/politically minded members a place to share ideas in the comfort of a forum, rather than having to go through real life chat programs (for which getting people together can be tricky), another, already occupied forum (where non-playgrounders might come in and disrupt the discussions), or the limited, two-way communication methods of email or PMs. Playgrounders who visit this new forum must keep things civil, as though it were a sub-forum of Giantitp without the no religion/politics rule, and are expected to leave behind any grudges that might spring up.

Sneak
2008-04-03, 08:57 PM
That's actually a very good idea. There have been a few GiantitP related forums in the past, but most of 'em didn't really have an actual reason for existing.

This would be interesting to see. And I don't see why the mods would disapprove, as it won't be on GiantitP itself.

But who knows.

InaVegt
2008-04-04, 12:17 AM
I'd be willing to provide the hosting for it, but I'd like a mods go ahead first.

(me providing hosting means no ads)

Zherog
2008-04-04, 09:25 AM
You don't need the permission of the mods here to create another forum. Just follow the rules for advertising and such and I fail to see how there's any problems.

13_CBS
2008-04-04, 10:58 AM
You don't need the permission of the mods here to create another forum. Just follow the rules for advertising and such and I fail to see how there's any problems.

Perhaps, but I feel like I should have the blessings of the mods first before I begin.

For convenience's sake, I think Proboards might be a fine place to start this.

Jack Squat
2008-04-04, 11:32 AM
THere's one here (http://z12.invisionfree.com/The_Veritas_Sanctum/index.php?act=idx) that is set up to debate such topics...A friend of mine set it up awhile ago, and it's died a few times. If you want to use it it's there, but if you want to go ahead and create one, I'm not against the idea. (I actually feel bad about this one becaues I'm the most active mod and I'm almost never there).

Rawhide
2008-04-04, 05:23 PM
If members of the GitP community want to set up another forum or other meeting place for their own use, then they certainly have the ability to do so. However, a fan made site would have no official connection to or approval from the GitP community or Rich Burlew, and should not imply that it does. Any official or "approved" community site (or chat room) would be required to follow the same or very similar rules to the official forums here. Current such projects - such as the community lead IRC channel and other chat rooms - are not official, for example.

We cannot "approve" any forum that is designed specifically for discussions that are banned by the rules here on the official forums, and will not offer support for such a project or consider it official in any way, and will not allow it to be implied that such is the case. Additionally, any advertising of or linking to such a forum would be required to follow the normal rules here.

In short, you certainly have the right to make such a forum, but it's not going to be considered to be different from any other random forum as far as the rules of the official forums are concerned.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-04-04, 06:33 PM
But the moderator staff likes the idea, right? :smallwink:

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-04-04, 07:11 PM
But the moderator staff likes the idea, right? :smallwink:
Not really. Bluntly put, we care only so far as the board rules are followed here, and that there is no implication that such an alternate site is in any way official or "moderator approved."

Admiral_Kelly
2008-04-04, 07:27 PM
:smallconfused: So you are against members of the GitP forums discussing politics over the internet anywhere?

Does anyone else see something wrong in this line of thinking?

Bookman
2008-04-04, 07:35 PM
:smallconfused: So you are against members of the GitP forums discussing politics over the internet anywhere?

You're inferring wrong. What they're saying is they're against them discussing politics here but they don't care what you do NOT here. The moderators aren't gonna approve or condone a particular site for discussing "other" issues but they don't care what you do "out there"

Roland St. Jude
2008-04-04, 08:03 PM

:confused:

There is something wrong with that line of thinking. But it's not our line of thinking. It's a false dilemma that you've concocted. You said, so the mods like it. The answer was "no." That doesn't equal being against it though. It's not one extreme or the other.

There's a great gulf of thought between "liking" something and being "against" it. We're in there somewhere. I, personally, am at "indifferent" to the concept. I think it's fair to say that the official position is somewhere close to that.

As long as you follow all the rules here, and don't imply a relationship or use intellectual property, we're unconcerned.

Gaelbert
2008-04-04, 09:03 PM
I personally really like the idea, and in fact have thought of something like this before. Its nice to see that someone might actually do it.
I'm thinking the mods couldn't really say that they like it because that might imply some endorsing. The forum would proably be comparable to Enupnion, I think, in that the similarity is due to the same members.

Rawhide
2008-04-04, 11:02 PM
To be honest, no, we don't like the idea of a forum especially for Giant in the Playground members to discuss forbidden topics, such a site would imply some form of 'official' or 'semi-official' status. We are never going to encourage or endorse such a venture and, depending on how it is handled, you may be entering into shaky legal grounds.

13_CBS
2008-04-04, 11:58 PM
I am not making a new forum for this matter, as apparently one already exists.

I request that someone close this thread as it is no longer necessary.