PDA

View Full Version : so what of the Linear Guild?

Remirach
2008-04-03, 10:58 PM
I'm not anxious for the narrative to leave Team Evil just yet, but I have been wondering for some time now how Nale's plan to capture another Gate (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html) is going to pan out.

He actually knows more about the Gates' defenses than Xykon and Redcloak do -- he got the info from Shojo (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0378.html) directly.

But he's focused on what XYKON knows and what XYKON's motives for wanting to seize a Gate are. There's a pretty big problem right there.

To make things worse, Sabine took a trip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) to inform her leaders about the Gates because it could potentially tip the "cosmic balance." Moreover, she didn't tell Nale what she was really up to and we have very little idea of what her overlords' motives are. On top of this, while Sabine clearly has feelings for Nale, she says that their relationship is "complicated" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html), and the whole reason she got involved with him at all was because she was ordered (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0062.html) by the Archfiends to be his concubine. So her loyalty to him is conflicted at best.

Nale is wading into waters seriously, seriously over his head here. My theory is that he's somehow responsible for the destruction of Girard's Gate -- since ya know it has to come down to the last one or otherwise why bother including five?

Crazy off-the wall theory? The Dark Overlords want to seize control of the Gates and send the Snarl off to destroy ALL the gods, leaving only them in power. Nale won't know until it's too late... but maybe they'll make it worth his while. Or maybe he'll balk, and Sabine will have to choose sides.

Anyone else have ideas? It just seems like there's SO much that could go wrong with this plan...

David Argall
2008-04-03, 11:23 PM
I'm not anxious for the narrative to leave Team Evil just yet, but I have been wondering for some time now how Nale's plan to capture another Gate (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html) is going to pan out.
It's not going to in the current book. Come back about strip 700 and it might be falling apart some time before 750.

He actually knows more about the Gates' defenses than Xykon and Redcloak do -- he got the info from Shojo (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0378.html) directly.
He probably doesn't know much more. Belkar was also present at that meeting and apparently doesn't know much beyond the rest of the party. [Of course, that may be because he is neither bright, nor was paying any attention, but it seems that Nale pretty much just got the cartoon details.

while Sabine clearly has feelings for Nale, she says that their relationship is "complicated" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html),
This refers merely to having found Nale with Haley and not being willing to kick him to the curb then and there. That complication has been taken care of.

Nale is wading into waters seriously, seriously over his head here. My theory is that he's somehow responsible for the destruction of Girard's Gate -- since ya know it has to come down to the last one or otherwise why bother including five?

Anyone else have ideas? It just seems like there's SO much that could go wrong with this plan...
The immediate picture of the LG will be that they have been delayed in Cliffport for 4 or so months, and will spot Haley when she arrives in town, and will hear her telling Belkar or Celia that Elan will be here in X weeks, so Nale will produce some elaborate plan to off Elan, which will fall apart about strip 710 or so. The LG will then relocate to Girard's Gate for Book 6. For further details, better wait for a hundred or so strips.

Remirach
2008-04-04, 12:53 AM
He probably doesn't know much more. Belkar was also present at that meeting and apparently doesn't know much beyond the rest of the party. [Of course, that may be because he is neither bright, nor was paying any attention, but it seems that Nale pretty much just got the cartoon details.
CRAP!Nice catch with Belkar being there! He wasn't in the previous strip, where did he come from? He was just off-panel?

I thought Nale and Roy learned more because Roy asked for more information about the gates, and he already knew the crayon story. Nale pretended to have "forgotten" that part so as to get that earlier information too. Vaarsuvius states (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0505.html) that Roy knows the location of the other gates while the others do not, which I had assumed referred back to the strip where Roy asks for more info on the other gates. If Belkar was there too... actually that doesn't change anything. Belkar's knowledge -- or lack thereof -- of the Gates isn't relevant just yet. Haley's party is focused on Raising Roy and NOT on defending the Gates, and once Roy's back that knowledge becomes redundant.

So possibly Roy, Belkar, and Nale all know, which means it's a REALLY REALLY good thing Belkar didn't defect when he had the chance, because he could have told Redcloak what O-chul doesn't even know!

This refers merely to having found Nale with Haley and not being willing to kick him to the curb then and there. That complication has been taken care of.
I didn't read it that way. She told V that Nale had been unfaithful, but she didn't stop loving him because of him going around behind her back -- her automatic instinct was to say "yes, I love him" before clarifying. But there's more at stake for Sabine if she has orders she can't share with the one she loves, so it's complicated and will remain so until there's a forced resolution.

The immediate picture of the LG will be that they have been delayed in Cliffport for 4 or so months,
Possibly, but consider. Compared to the OOTS (when they're all together) and Team Evil, the Linear Guild is comprised of a bunch of lightweights. Roy by himself can -- and has -- taken on each and every one of them and come up on top. This is a great opportunity for them to get a leg up on the opposition and be on a more level playing field. (Especially since Nale now seems down on recruiting additional members. )

SPoD
2008-04-04, 08:16 AM
The immediate picture of the LG will be that they have been delayed in Cliffport for 4 or so months, and will spot Haley when she arrives in town, and will hear her telling Belkar or Celia that Elan will be here in X weeks, so Nale will produce some elaborate plan to off Elan, which will fall apart about strip 710 or so. The LG will then relocate to Girard's Gate for Book 6. For further details, better wait for a hundred or so strips.

I disagree. I think we won't see them at all until they make their move for Girard's Gate, at which time it will be a three-way race for the first time (thus adding some variety to the mix).

I also think that the LG will try to play the OOTS and Team Evil off one another, as that is Nale's style of manipulation (and, as noted above, the LG is significantly weaker than either the OOTS or Xykon).

factotum
2008-04-04, 10:49 AM
I think you got your title the wrong way round:

The Linear Guild...so what?

Fixed it for you. :smallbiggrin:

ShellBullet
2008-04-04, 03:26 PM
I think it's safe to say that Nale has been spend some time recruiting some people for his party ( Knowing Nale, I bet he tries the opposite theme again. ) and gathering more information about the gates.

Morgan Wick
2008-04-04, 04:21 PM
I interpreted that bit about Roy knowing more than the others as referring to his meeting with Shojo immediately after learning of the Gates and agreeing to help him protect them.

And remember that Girard's Gate is the next gate for Xykon, not necessarily the Linear Guild. While Team Evil and the OOTS fight over Girard's Gate, the Linear Guild could be building their defenses around Kraagor's Gate, setting up the climactic three-way showdown at the end of the strip.

Wreckingrocc
2008-04-04, 08:10 PM
:thog: likes puppies.

Roc Ness
2008-04-05, 07:26 AM
And remember that Girard's Gate is the next gate for Xykon, not necessarily the Linear Guild. While Team Evil and the OOTS fight over Girard's Gate, the Linear Guild could be building their defenses around Kraagor's Gate, setting up the climactic three-way showdown at the end of the strip.

It isn't necessarily (I think i spelt that wrong) Girards gate next. They said girards gate is protected by illusions, so maybe xykon walks past it without noticing anything while redcloak is somewhere else marching the army

Greg
2008-04-05, 06:45 PM
Girard's gate should be near Nale's dad's country. Possible family reunion?

Calinero
2008-04-06, 10:37 PM
Girard's gate should be near Nale's dad's country. Possible family reunion?

I agree here. I am of the school of thought that Elan and Nale's father is responsible for the kidnapping of Haley's father, which would make a double family reunion--and a lot of confusion, and awkwardness for everyone. In other words, good drama!