PDA

View Full Version : shelgarn's paired trauma (spell)

Stycotl
2008-04-04, 12:35 AM
shelgarn's persistent blade from nwn is an evocation spell, which i've never really understood. wouldn't it be a conjure (creation)?

Shelgarn’s Paired Trauma
Evocation
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 7
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Standard Act
Range: Short
Effect: Summoned maul and dire pick
Duration: 1 minute/2 levels
Saving Throw: Special
Spell Resistance: No

This spell, one of Shelgarn’s improvements on the persistent blade, summons both a floating maul and a floating dire pick that faithfully attack your enemies. Both are adamantine weapons with +2 magical enchantments, attack with a 20 Strength (+5), utilize your saving throws and armor class, and use your caster level as their base attack bonus. The weapons have a flight speed of 60 feet (good), and will vanish if separated from you by more than short range. They will position themselves between you and a designated foe if left to their own devices, or as directed by you.

Once the weapons have designated a foe, or you have directed them to a foe, they will concentrate all attacks against that foe until it is slain, or they are directed to a new target. Other than that, the weapons will never split their attacks between opponents, not even for an attack of opportunity. If both weapons hit a creature in the same round, it must succeed at a Fortitude save or be dazed until the beginning of your next turn. The weapons also gain a +4 bonus to both attack and damage rolls when sundering.

Dire Pick (med) 1d8 (x4) Piercing

Maul (med) 1d10 (x3) Bludgeoning

Both weapons have 3 hit points/caster level, hardness 20, and ignore up to 20 hardness when sundering objects.

Stycotl
2008-04-04, 12:38 AM
shelgarn's persistent blade from nwn is an evocation spell, which i've never really understood. wouldn't it be a conjure (creation)?

i suppose i have never looked closely enough at persistent blade to see if it did force damage, but i could swear it just summons a normal dagger...

Fizban
2008-04-04, 06:16 PM
The actual spell is more like Mage's/Mordenkainen's Sword, see the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesSword.htm). They're evocation because they use magical force, when conjurations usually are supposed to be summoning non-magical materials to do damage. Not that that stops the Orb of Force spell, which creates a non-magical orb of magical force that can strike through an antimagic field.

The one in NWN is instead a summoning spell, since it would have taken a lot more effort for them to model the sword spells, and it also sucks so hard when compared to summon creature I (badger).

Edit: also, unlike Mage's Sword, the actual Persistant Blade does get to flank, and lasts something like 1 round/2 levels. I'm not sure if it was level 1 or 2, but I know that once again there were much better options.

Stycotl
2008-04-07, 08:45 PM
i agree that the nwn version is pretty weak. however, it is still a very cool idea, and that is why i created this spell, to take advantage of the theme. summoning badgers is cool, but doesn't fit all character types, including the one that this was made for.

any other thoughts?