PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Roll with it

Rad
2008-04-04, 01:31 AM
I have a player of mine who asked to take the "Roll with it" feat (Savage Species). I do know that most of the book is extremely unbalanced but I am still willing to make a fair call on it.
What the feat does is to give you DR 2/- that stacks with any other DR you have, including itself (he plans to take it about 4 times). As a mitigating factor it has Endurance and Con 20 as prerequisites. Obviously Endurance is also being used for Steadfast Determination.

Should I allow it?
Thank you.

tyckspoon
2008-04-04, 01:40 AM
Should be fine. Small DR values aren't problematic (take 2 damage off of 30 or so. You're still taking a lot of damage.) and by the time he has enough levels to take it 4 times he'll probably be nigh-epic; the stacking shouldn't be doing much more than helping to keep the DR useful in the face of the damage output higher CR monsters can do.

sonofzeal
2008-04-04, 01:43 AM
I have a player of mine who asked to take the "Roll with it" feat (Savage Species). I do know that most of the book is extremely unbalanced but I am still willing to make a fair call on it.
What the feat does is to give you DR 2/- that stacks with any other DR you have, including itself (he plans to take it about 4 times). As a mitigating factor it has Endurance and Con 20 as prerequisites. Obviously Endurance is also being used for Steadfast Determination.

Should I allow it?
Thank you.
It's powerful, but not really broken unless you allow flaws, or those Generic classes from UA (or heaven forbid, both). Assuming you ban both of those you end up with a profoundly durable character who's probably going to be gimped on offence because of the lack of feats. Magic will cut right through him too.

All in all, it should be fine depending on the character and level. If he's playing a tank, he'll probably need it - tanks don't really get much love under 3rd Ed.

Iku Rex
2008-04-04, 02:39 AM
Roll With It requires Toughness, not Endurance.

It is pretty good compared to Greater Resiliency from CWar, which increases existing DR by 1. Roll With It is decent compared to Fey Skin from CMag, which grants DR/cold iron equal to the number of Fey feats you have. (Those feats will give you additional powers as well.)

Considering that Roll With It requires the almost useless feat Toughness I don't think it will break anything if you allow it.

Blue Paladin
2008-04-04, 11:10 AM
It should be fine. Generally speaking, he can't get 20 Con until level 8, which means the first time he can pick up Roll With It is the level 9 feat. If you're liberal and give him a +2 Con item early (and allow such to qualify for feat prereqs), he might be able to get it for his level 6 feat too. So in total he gets 6,9,12,15,18 for DR 10/-. Woo.

Watch the mage as his [pretty much any spell] ignores that. Watch the rogue's sneak attack go down to essentially 10d5 damage. Watch the commoner bypass DR anyway by waving a torch around.

And if you think it's abusive, you can always hit him with Con damage/drain until he hits 19. His DR goes away too.

So in total, no, I'm not seeing much problem with Roll With It.

Rad
2008-04-05, 04:00 AM
Thanks to you all for your replies; I will allow it.
Thank you :)