PDA

View Full Version : Rising Stars In Music

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-04-04, 07:51 AM
Hey all, as some of you may know I am the head journalist for a new magazine called Rising Stars In Music.

It was started by one of my best friends last year, and through an amazing series of chance meetings, unlikely circumstances, and more luck than anyone can hope to have we have become quite well known in certain musical circles, especially in the Nashville area, and we're not even yet published.

Basically we're different than most other magazines because we only print what we get directly from personal interviews with the artists or writers, absolutely no gossip or rumors (unless the artist themselves spread it :smallwink: ). We focus on vocalists, bands, musicians and song writers of all genres who have little or no recognition, but also have several famous artists within each as well that tell their stories and give pointers to those who want to make it big.

In fact, if any of you are aspiring musicians or song writers of some kind we'd love to hear from you as well. Doesn't matter how little experience you have.

However, though we have the magazine complete and ready to print, we are still looking for others to advertise with us and get it off the ground. If you, your company, or anyone you know might have an interest please message me and I'll be glad to send you a press kit with all the details.

If you click below you can take a look at our MySpace that we're using until our official website is complete. Have thousands of artists there, but we take the time to look at each one and listen to their music.

http://tinyurl.com/27xg42 (http://tinyurl.com/38333j)
Banner by Dr. Bath

Btw, hope this is in the forum rules as I'm not actually asking for money or anything.

InaVegt
2008-04-04, 01:15 PM
I'd love to read such a magazine, especially with such a great writer as you as a journalist.

As for whether it is allowed to advertise for it here, I'll quite the rules about advertising and highlight parts.

Commercial (For-Profit) Advertising
Posting advertisements for commercial products, services, or events will result in an immediate ban, and all advertisements removed. Note that a suggestion of a product in the course of a related discussion is not considered advertising (unless the poster holds a personal stake in the finances of the company suggested). For example, if you are posting to a thread regarding d20 rules for shipboard combat, feel free to point other posters to a sourcebook on the topic. You can even link to the company that publishes it—as long as you don't work for that company. But don't start a thread whose sole purpose is to trumpet Book X and declare its greatness to the population at large.

(Exception: Representatives of Giant in the Playground and/or its licensees and distributors are permitted to make posts advertising services and products related directly to Giant in the Playground. They are not permitted to make posts advertising other services they might provide.)

If you wish to advertise a non-commercial website, please refer to rules regarding advertising.

Those rules:

Advertising/Linking
As noted above, commercial (for-profit) advertising is not allowed on GiantITP.com. However, you ARE permitted to start threads advertising non-profit websites; either charity events or merely amateur/fan sites that don't sell anything. Please be sure to observe the rules governing Spam and multiple-thread cross-posting, however, and make sure your plug is in the most appropriate forum (usually Friendly Banter).

You may always advertise or link to works of art online, such as other webcomics, fiction sites, music sites, or anything else that generates original artistic content—even if that site also makes a profit off of that work. We don't want the rules against advertising to prevent people from discovering new creative works that they will love, and don't want to penalize artists for trying to make a living off of their work. However, if a site only resells creative work and does not have any of that work available online, then it is primarily a commercial site and cannot be advertised here.

So, basically, if you're not commercial, you're in the clear.

The best thing, however, would've been to ask the mods first.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-04-04, 01:55 PM
Heh, well, we're not commercial... yet, actually have to make some money first, and we do feature special articles for charities within.

Still likely no koshur so I'll contact an admin.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-04-15, 08:14 AM
Well, haven't heard back from anyone, so for right now I'm going to treat this as allowable :smallwink:

SDF
2008-04-15, 05:47 PM
All my best friends are musicians, myself included. Some of my friends are in a punk band. One of my best friends is in the punk band but also has a distinctly different side project called I, Human (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=290797532). I have another friend, Mark, who has a solo project and an EP coming out. (www.markdoubleday.com) He plays kind of an acoustic, indie sound. He's also a cello prodigy, so I use him for my solo stuff.

As for myself I have a twee pop/post rock solo project in the works called I Think I Can. I write/arrange/play most everything sans a few instruments I don't know (i.e. frettless string instruments) Nothing recorded yet, but a decent amount written. My biggest hurtle right now is finding musicians to play live with me. I've got the basic drummer/bassist/guitarist filled if and when I need them, but I integrate a lot of horns (trumpet, trombone, french horn) and occasionally the bagpipes. Tracking them on recordings is easy enough, but I sure can't sing while playing them. I also play some keyboard and synth. If anyone cares I'm sure I'll make a big fuss when I have stuff up.

Coincidentally, next semester I'm living with my friend Mark, another of our friends who is a bassist, and another who is a drummer... So we will have a full band just sitting around the apartment :P