PDA

View Full Version : The Bargain Bin - Items that are a great value.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-04, 08:52 AM
I'd like to put together a list of community approved magic items that are a great value for any adventurer to have. A one-stop-shop, as it were, for your wealth by level needs.

Any thoughts on items? Favorite Items? Your "must haves"?

Commence discussion in 5...4...3...

:smallwink:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-04, 08:56 AM

Decanter of Endless Water. Pwnzorz.

Magnificent Pigments. Pwnzorz.

Whip feather token. Pwnzorz.

Belt of Magnificence. OMFGBBQPWNZORZ!

Belt of Battle. Need to explain?

Yondalla's relic from MiC. A Heathen can use it, and it has a load of nice effects.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-04, 08:59 AM
For me... Goggles of Minute Seeing. +5 to Search checks for only 1250gp. Every character I have has those on hand before going around lookin for loot or trouble.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-04, 09:01 AM
Nah. Much better to get goggles of deflection. Immunity to rays, and thrice per day, you can deflect any ranged attack. ANY. All for 10k!

The goggles. They do SOMETHING!

SilentNight
2008-04-04, 09:02 AM
For value I would say the boots of the winterlands, their sandy variant in Sandstorm, heward's handy haversack, and the 3.0 boots of striding and springing. Favorite items,gloves of storing, earring of the wolf( dragon magazine), The Third eye sense from psionic's handbook, tabard of the disembodied, cloak of arachnida, hmmm, I'll have to edit more in.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-04, 09:03 AM
No reason not to have both... I mean, you just pull out the minute seeing when you're searching... not when you're fighting :)

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-04, 09:08 AM
Hewards Handy Haversack(possibly bag of holding): Nothing sucks more than finding cool loot and then being unable to take it because of wieght penalties.

Ring of Sustenance: Useful in games where you'll be in dangerous areas for long times. Allowing the high spot/listen people to have extra long watches is golden.

Heward's slpeeing bag: Not the right name, but its the only magic sleeping bag in the Complete Mage. Recharging Spellcasters in one hour can be very good. Downside is that is only works once every 48 hours(and other bags don't help).

Cloak of Comfort/Resistance: The first is another Complete Mage item, and it works like the cloak of resistance except that it cost about 1000 more, but gives a endure elements effect to all allies in 30 feet (my dm likes using enviromental challanges, and while this doesn't completly solve tham, every xtra bit helps)

Armads
2008-04-04, 09:15 AM
Blindfold of True Darkness - 9k for blindsight 30ft, although you can't see beyond that. All characters should get one for emergencies.

Belt of Battle - They forgot to give this one the x10 epic price modifier

Healing Belt - Pays for itself after a few days, and helps reduce the cleric's burden

Quicksilver Boots - Dirt cheap, although Travel Devotion somewhat renders it irrelevant.

Boots of the Unending Journey - It's a cheaper boots of striding and springing for those with a neutral component in their alignment. With True Believer, it becomes even more awesome.

Captain van der Decken
2008-04-04, 09:16 AM
The Amulet of Retribution from BoED is a great one - you take half damage in melee, and your attacker takes the other half.

I think there's a thread somewhere on the WotC boards with a load of good magic items, which might help.

Edit: Found it - http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=657626

Xefas
2008-04-04, 09:17 AM
The Belt of Battle!

It's only 12k and grants a +2 bonus on initiative checks. In addition, it has 3 Charges per Day.

For 1 charge, you can take an extra move action on your turn.
For 2 charges, you can take an extra standard action on your turn.
For 3 charges, you can take an extra full-round action on your turn.

That's 3 Pounces, for those of you that don't want to be a Lion-Worshiping Barbarian. Or, if you really *really* need to slaughter that BBEG *right now*, two full-attacks in one turn could do the trick.

Sine they're *actions*, they scale perfectly with your level, so that initial 12k investment goes a looooong way.

Person_Man
2008-04-04, 09:31 AM
Dust of Sneezing and Choking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#dustofSneezingandChoking):

This fine dust appears to be dust of appearance. If cast into the air, it causes those within a 20-foot spread to fall into fits of sneezing and coughing. Those failing a DC 15 Fortitude save take 2d6 points of Constitution damage immediately. In addition, those failing a second DC 15 Fortitude save 1 minute later are dealt 1d6 points of Constitution damage. Those who succeed on either saving throw are nonetheless disabled by choking (treat as stunned) for 5d4 rounds.

You automatically Stun an enemy for 5d4 rounds.

This is essentially an auto-win button against any enemy that's not immune to Stun, for the low cost of 2,400 gp. My mid-high level characters always have some, but I only use it when we absolutely have to. If you use it more then once, your DM will simply stop using BBEG who can be Stunned.

Dr Bwaa
2008-04-04, 09:45 AM
Golembane Scarab. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#scarabGolembane) Negate all construct/golem DR for an unslotted 2500gp? Yes, please!

(Incidentally, the SRD isn't showing that it negates DR for constructs, too, which I thought it did, but I'm AFB at the moment so I'll have to check later.)

Awetugiw
2008-04-04, 10:14 AM
It is a bit more expensive than most of the other items mentioned here, but I like the Strand of Prayer Beads for cost/benefit ratio. In particular, the Bead of Karma.

+4 to your caster level tends to be pretty good. You don't even have to use it for your Holy Word. A lot of all-day buffs benefit quite a lot from a higher CL.

Combine with a rod of extend, and you'll be casting 2-day long buffs which are very difficult to dispel. Give your party +5 weapons and +5 armor as early as level 16 (or less if you use other caster-level boosters. Somewhere around level 10 is possible). +5 to all saves with mass conviction at level 14 (or lower)?

All that and more for 25800 GP. (And some spellslots, but you'd probably be casting most of those buffs anyway.)

valadil
2008-04-04, 10:28 AM
Nah. Much better to get goggles of deflection. Immunity to rays, and thrice per day, you can deflect any ranged attack. ANY. All for 10k!

The goggles. They do SOMETHING!

What book are those in? I want them. A lot. For every character I ever play again.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-04, 10:34 AM
A setting specific book. I'm certain it was not Faerun, and don't seem to be on Eberron's, but who knows?

If it helps, the enchantments listed to make them were Ray deflection, Wind Wall, and Baleful transposition.

Torebo
2008-04-04, 10:44 AM
Maybe I'm just a sucker for how much level 1 and resting suck when combined, but I loved the Magic Sleeping Bag from the Miniatures Handbook. I believe it was renamed Magic 'Bedroll' for hte MiC and I'm not sure if they changed the price (used to be 1000gp), but it basically gives you Endure Elements while you sleep and gives you 1hp/char-level while you sleep, fully negating bad rest and doubling the benefits of normal rest.

I just thought they were the niftiest little things I ever saw.

Solo
2008-04-04, 12:11 PM
Hand of Glory = Extra ring slot.

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-04, 02:04 PM
Wait.. would this actually work?

Gauntlets Full of Hurt

Continuous or Use Activated cost:
Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp
Spell: True Strike.
Spell Level: First.
Caster Level: First.
Total Cost: Cost: 2,000 gp.
Activation Method: Blinking
Overall effect: +20 to all attacks as long as the user can blink.

AKA_Bait
2008-04-04, 02:07 PM

Gauntlets Full of Hurt

No. No. No. No and No. That's not how the item creation guidelines work. Do a search here, or on google, for 'sword of true strike' to see the many many many threads which have shown why this would not be the case.

Stabby
2008-04-04, 02:12 PM
Technically it works. However, your DM will toss his dice bag at you if you try. At least he should.

The Sword of True Striking has been brought up before. Its cheese.

*ninjaed! Curse you! Sneaky*

Sledge_bro
2008-04-04, 02:22 PM
By RAW, yes.

BUT the DMg price guide says that all magic items are under DM fiat- and no sane DM will let you have those :P

EDIT: Twin ninjas!

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-04, 02:25 PM
No. No. No. No and No. That's not how the item creation guidelines work. Do a search here, or on google, for 'sword of true strike' to see the many many many threads which have shown why this would not be the case.

Ah. I apologize then. In the interest of learning how they DO, in fact, work, could you PM me the proper interpretation? Are there ANY first level spells that aren't cheese when the power of infinity isn't applied to them?

sikyon
2008-04-04, 02:26 PM
Holy Crud!

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this amazing magic item!

Ring of Freedom of Movement.

Never fear grappling, solid fog, grappling, hurricane winds, grappling, underwater fighting, grappling.

Ring of Freedom of Grappling FTW!

sikyon
2008-04-04, 02:29 PM

Use activated true strike does work, but it takes a standard action to activate. At low level = awsome, at higher levels = meh as actions are greater in value. What you really want, however, is a portable trap of true strike!

Artanis
2008-04-04, 02:54 PM
Wand of Cure Light Wounds. It's the single most cost-effective* out-of-combat healing available. It might take a while (and a lot of wands) to finish up at higher levels, but hey, it's more healing for less overall gold.

*Other than Eternal Wands or other infinite-charge items, of course, but that's cheating :smallwink:

Toliudar
2008-04-04, 02:56 PM
Shadow_Archmagi: Hat of disguise for 1,800 is a very good example of a first level spell on a continuous item that provides good value in a variety of circumstances, without breaking the game.

mostlyharmful
2008-04-04, 03:06 PM
Shadow_Archmagi: Hat of disguise for 1,800 is a very good example of a first level spell on a continuous item that provides good value in a variety of circumstances, without breaking the game.

It's also my nominee for best value for use, there's almost no end to the fun you can get up to with one of these for a measily 1800gp:smallsmile:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-04, 03:30 PM

Gauntlets Full of Hurt

They actually discuss that in one of the WotC online articles. I saw it yesterday. They recommended a 400,000 GP price tag.

Chronos
2008-04-04, 03:52 PM
Gauntlets of True Strike don't work by RAW, either, because in the case of custom magic items, what the RAW says is "It's up to the DM, but here are some guidelines...". Also, everyone always reads the section about spell levels and number of uses and so on, but the guidelines also say to consider the size of any bonuses given by the item, and to compare it to existing similar items, either of which criteria would send the price of those Gauntlets of True Strike through the stratosphere.

A few favorites of mine:
Necklace of Adaptation. Immunity to drowning, and Stinking Cloud, and Cloudkill, and Solid Fog and its big brothers Acid Fog and Freezing Fog, and green dragon breath, and hard vacuum, and the afore-mentioned Dust of Sneezing and Choking, and...

Eternal Wand of Explosive Runes, together with an Eternal Wand of Dispel Magic. Now everyone can use bookbombs, not just wizards.

A Luckblade, without any wishes. You don't even need to wield it; just own it and leave it in your Handy Haversack, to get a re-roll of any roll once per day.

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-04, 03:56 PM
Greater Truedeath Weapon Augment Crystal (10k): For the lich that thought he could laugh off the effects of being flanked. Also see it's cousin the Greater Demolition Weapon Augment Crystal: Great for quickly dispatching constructs. A high level sneaky-type should never be caught without them!

Kurobara
2008-04-04, 04:03 PM
Wand of Cure Light Wounds. It's the single most cost-effective out-of-combat healing available. It might take a while (and a lot of wands) to finish up at higher levels, but hey, it's more healing for less overall gold.

Wand of Lesser Vigor's a little bit better (though unlike CLW isn't core, which can matter for some people's games) - guaranteed 11 HP, as opposed to 9 max/4.5 average.

Anyway, as for other items, I really like Chronocharms (MIC). Cheap and handy, though it would be way more convenient if they didn't take up such a useful slot (I swear, way too much good stuff in the throat slot.) Being able to wear multiple different Chronocharms eases that a little bit, though it still sucks to have to choose between them and, say, and Amulet of Natural Armor.

Signmaker
2008-04-04, 04:08 PM
Off the top of my head...

Acrobat Boots. Nifty if you have a few hundred gp to spare, the speed enhancement is useful, when activated, and the +2 to Tumble is always welcome.

Armband of Elusive Action- One AoO per day is ignored. Cheap, and useful.

Rod of Frost- For when people suck at swim checks to cross a river, but DON'T suck at Balance.

Choker of Eloquence- Useful for cheesers, bluffers, and singers alike!

Avor
2008-04-04, 04:22 PM
Ring of feathfall, water walk/breathing.

For 2,200 gold, you don't die like a total noob. You have the dignity of dieing from accual combat or a trap.

Kioran
2008-04-04, 04:23 PM
Ah. I apologize then. In the interest of learning how they DO, in fact, work, could you PM me the proper interpretation? Are there ANY first level spells that aren't cheese when the power of infinity isn't applied to them?

I actually had a threat open about that topic - with little result. However, three criteria:

- no permanent effect (like Healing, or Fabricate etc.)
- no extreme short duration spell as use-activated (since it removes the action cost - this takes care of True Strike btw.)
- no long duration, non-personal buffs (long-term buffs at will? Booster for the entire party)

If it´s something that can easily be recreated with mundane means, it´s generally no problem, like "Disguise self" (useful, but someone with maxed disguise can be similiarly effective against mooks, or the spell needs to be combined with genuine skill anyway to fool good detectors.......) or, for example, "Tenser´s floating disk".

Another good example are blasty spells - they do only become problematic if bought at higher spell- or caster lvls, at-will items of these do actually get more broken in the mid-to-high range. At-will burnings Hands CL 1 or 2? Trivial, and not really too powerful for 1800/3600 Gold. CL 8 Fireball? Even at 43200, I´d consider it worth it. Ultimate bombardmen, especially combined with overland flight.......

DrowVampyre
2008-04-04, 04:58 PM
Artificer's Monocle (I think that's right, anyway), from MIC. Cause turning your Detect Magics into Identifies is always a good thing, and easily pays for itself in the...well, short run even, much less the long run.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-04, 05:06 PM
Crystal of Return from MiC and Ebon Mask from Dragon Magic.

Amiria
2008-04-04, 07:07 PM
Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=657626)

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-04, 07:16 PM
though it still sucks to have to choose between them and, say, and Amulet of Natural Armor.

If you are using the MIC rules you can just add a natural armor bonus on to one of the Chronocharms at no extra cost. And a +con effect on another one. And a +wis if you need it on the third.

Beren One-Hand
2008-04-04, 07:47 PM
Golembane Scarab. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#scarabGolembane) Negate all construct/golem DR for an unslotted 2500gp? Yes, please!

(Incidentally, the SRD isn't showing that it negates DR for constructs, too, which I thought it did, but I'm AFB at the moment so I'll have to check later.)

I don't have the DMG to answer your question... but you're a bit wrong on your assesment of the scarab, according to the SRD it is a slotted item.

MAGIC ITEMS ON THE BODY
Many magic items need to be donned by a character who wants to employ them or benefit from their abilities. It’s possible for a creature with a humanoid-shaped body to wear as many as twelve magic items at the same time. However, each of those items must be worn on (or over) a particular part of the body.
A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn.
• One headband, hat, helmet, or phylactery on the head
• One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes
• One amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab around the neck
• One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso
• One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt)
• One belt around the waist (over a robe or suit of armor)
• One cloak, cape, or mantle around the shoulders (over a robe or suit of armor)
• One pair of bracers or bracelets on the arms or wrists
• One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands
• One ring on each hand (or two rings on one hand)
• One pair of boots or shoes on the feet
Of course, a character may carry or possess as many items of the same type as he wishes. However, additional items beyond those listed above have no effect.
Some items can be worn or carried without taking up space on a character’s body. The description of an item indicates when an item has this property.

Emphasis mine.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-04-04, 08:28 PM
Shneekey's Super Sale Stuff!
Or: What every adventurer should want to get

* Handy Haversack. Seriously, best 2000 gold ever spent.

*Wand of Cure Light Wounds. For anyone with UMD, a keeper

*Necklace of Adaptation. Never have to worry about Cloudkill agian

*Glove of Storing. How to smuggle darn near anything into an otherwise secure location.

* Gauntlet of Rust. Screw the Rusting Grasp effect, how about complete immunity to rusting for all your gear?

*Ring of Sustenance. Read it over. Not only does it mean not having to eat/drink, but you can get all your spells back in two hours!

*Ring of Feather Fall. Never taking falling damage is a good thing.

* +1 Shadowed Silent Moves Mithral Chain. The rock-on sneak-suit. +5 to both Hide and Move Silently. Who needs Cloak/Boots of Elvenkind? This frees up BOTH slots. Add on Twilight for another 4k if you are a caster who has to worry about ASF. Upgrade to Mithral Full Plate if you are a 'tank' type, but keep the shadowed and silent moves. Sometimes, you WILL need to move a bit more quietly

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-04, 08:35 PM
*Ring of Sustenance. Read it over. Not only does it mean not having to eat/drink, but you can get all your spells back in two hours!RING OF SUSTENANCE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-04-04, 09:42 PM
RING OF SUSTENANCE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!

Sustenance
This ring continually provides its wearer with life-sustaining nourishment. The ring also refreshes the body and mind, so that its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep. The ring must be worn for a full week before it begins to work. If it is removed, the owner must wear it for another week to reattune it to himself.

Seems to me that it most certainly does.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-04, 09:48 PM
Rest

To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells. To reiterate, RING OF SUSTENANCE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

tyckspoon
2008-04-04, 09:49 PM
No, it doesn't. Prepping spells requires 8 hours of rest. That doesn't have to be sleep, specifically, but you do have to do basically nothing for 8 hours. Even if you're an elf; you do your 4 hours trance, then you rest another 4 hours. The Ring of Sustenance will let you recover from exhaustion with only 2 hours sleep, but it doesn't affect the requirement for rest prior to preparing spells.

Edit: Copypasting is not an honorable ninja technique.

Turcano
2008-04-04, 10:54 PM

The proper interpretation is that you shouldn't get the same effect of a 8,000,000 gp weapon with a 2,000 gp magic item.

avr
2008-04-05, 08:11 AM
Dust of Tracelessness (250 GP for one use) can be really useful for sneaky types, especially since it can eliminate tracks after you've made them - Pass without Trace requires forward planning, Dust of Tracelessness doesn't necessarily.

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-05, 08:36 AM
Casting Glove. Once per round, as standard action, use an item in your inventory as if you held it in your hand. As a free action, retrieve an item from your inventory.