PDA

View Full Version : Dire Hawk, I choose you!

Signmaker
2008-04-04, 05:25 PM
As you can tell by the obvious reference, I am seeking a way to conjure creatures as a method of attack.

However, I would prefer that they be animals I have personally raised, rather than creatures from the Summon Monster tables.

Is there any easy way to go about this? Is there a conjuration spell that can summon allies to your side, allies you actually know?

seedjar
2008-04-04, 05:27 PM
I don't know of easy ways to summon in that manner by standard rules. There are several variants that discuss having a personal list of summoned creatures; they're available on the SRD and elsewhere. Otherwise, you might go with that Beastmaster PrC or something and get a possé of animal companions, then keep them in magical bottles or enchanted plastic balls or whatever...
~Joe

Bag_of_Holding
Play a druid so you can summon animals instead of monsters. What's not to like about "Summon nature's ally"?

Other factors about how you may have personally bred the animal etc is just a fluff, nothing else.

Emperor Tippy
Smokey Confinement. It's a 6th level spell that stores a creature in a vial indefinitely.

Train the animal, cast it on them, release them as needed.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-04, 05:28 PM
I imagine using a bag of tricks to insult your foes isn't good enough eh?

Signmaker
2008-04-04, 05:33 PM
Rearing my own animals is not fluff, Bag of Holding.

As to the 6th level spell, I'd rather an option that was available as early as 7th level.

And no, Bag of Tricks isn't. Sorreh. :smallfrown:

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-04, 05:48 PM

As to the 6th level spell, I'd rather an option that was available as early as 7th level.

And no, Bag of Tricks isn't. Sorreh. :smallfrown:

I know it's an application of Handle Animal skill, but you won't be taking them around everywhere, would you? Then summon an animal and say "say hello to George the Ape- I raise him since he was but a baby!", and there you go.

If you meant a 'trained' animal, then you might have to consult your DM about restricting your summon list or even bumping up a level of your summons.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-04, 05:56 PM

To do what you want? No. With magic items and craft contingent spell you might be able to do it but the wealth required will be in excess of 7th level WBL by a fair margin.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-04, 05:58 PM
To do what you want? No. With magic items and craft contingent spell you might be able to do it but the wealth required will be in excess of 7th level WBL by a fair margin.

Wait, don't you have to cast the spell every time you need to get that monster back into the confinement?

Signmaker
2008-04-04, 06:03 PM
I know it's an application of Handle Animal skill, but you won't be taking them around everywhere, would you? Then summon an animal and say "say hello to George the Ape- I raise him since he was but a baby!", and there you go.

If you meant a 'trained' animal, then you might have to consult your DM about restricting your summon list or even bumping up a level of your summons.

Thanks for the idea you gave me, I looked in the DMG. There's a sidebar about summoning specific animals.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-04, 06:22 PM
This bloody thread is making me want to stat out the different types of pokeballs, and a matching trainer class. Odds are it'd be a pres class of a bard/rogue blend.

I feel dirty. :smallannoyed:

Bosaxon
2008-04-04, 06:35 PM
This bloody thread is making me want to stat out the different types of pokeballs, and a matching trainer class. Odds are it'd be a pres class of a bard/rogue blend.

Enworld made a class like this in their Bride of Portal Hole pdf. It's called the ballmaster, uses a "summoning sphere," and is based around a summoning spellcaster. It's one of the saner PRC's in the thing.

I think the PDF is free, or else I wouldn't have it.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-04, 06:41 PM
Enworld made a class like this in their Bride of Portal Hole pdf. It's called the ballmaster, uses a "summoning sphere," and is based around a summoning spellcaster. It's one of the saner PRC's in the thing.

I think the PDF is free, or else I wouldn't have it.

I'm curious, and yet strangely horrified. If one of the pre-reqs is having an Air Planetouched Dire Rat as a familiar, I'll die a little inside.

Bosaxon
2008-04-04, 06:50 PM
I'm curious, and yet strangely horrified. If one of the pre-reqs is having an Air Planetouched Dire Rat as a familiar, I'll die a little inside.

nope. The pre-reqs are faily reasonable and the class is attainable at level 4. Just make sure the character is younger than an adult.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-04, 06:52 PM
Wait, don't you have to cast the spell every time you need to get that monster back into the confinement?

Yes. But as I said, the only way to "conjure" creatures that you have trained out of thin air in combat without a problem is Smokey Confinement.

I personally think its to much trouble to do all of this, I usually just Smokey Confinement on a few random animals and chuck them if I need a distraction (a bear appearing in the guards barracks does wonders).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-04, 06:54 PM
Yes. But as I said, the only way to "conjure" creatures that you have trained out of thin air in combat without a problem is Smokey Confinement.

I personally think its to much trouble to do all of this, I usually just Smokey Confinement on a few random animals and chuck them if I need a distraction (a bear appearing in the guards barracks does wonders).Doing that is a 7th level spell. Isn't it easier to just, I don't know, summon a bear at that point?

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-04, 07:08 PM
Doing that is a 7th level spell. Isn't it easier to just, I don't know, summon a bear at that point?

I prepare a few dozen during downtime and just hang onto them until I need them.

Fostire
2008-04-04, 07:08 PM

I feel dirty. :smallannoyed:

You should see this (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/showthread.php?t=60542)

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-04, 07:22 PM
You should see this (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/showthread.php?t=60542)

They are actually DOING it. I need a word to describe them. Quick, what word means dirtier than dirty? :smalltongue:

Fostire
2008-04-04, 07:29 PM
They are actually DOING it. I need a word to describe them. Quick, what word means dirtier than dirty? :smalltongue:

Filthy? or is that just a synonim

Bosaxon
2008-04-04, 07:30 PM
Quick, what word means dirtier than dirty? :smalltongue:

Vile, defiled, and foul all come to mind.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-04, 07:37 PM
Dangerous and sexy can be used depending on the meaning of dirty.

If you want something truly dirty, I read a PrC that fused Evangelion and Pokémon. It required you wangst all the time and follow x stereotypes borrowed from Pokémon.

Also, guiltily pleased can be used. C'mon, that's a guilty pleasure.

Coplantor
2008-04-04, 08:22 PM
I already knew about that magical solution to the pokeball problem, a player in my group wanted to do that... he's hiding somewhere in this forums and I hope he reads this: "NO (insert word to give emphasis) WAY"

Chronos
2008-04-04, 09:35 PM
It only gives you one critter, but what about paladin? Argent, I choose you! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0432.html)

Cuddly
2008-04-05, 12:35 AM
What if you spent sometime on another plane, a celestial realm perhaps, befriending and training the celestial animals there. Then, whenever you cast the spell, you are summoning your allies?

Signmaker
2008-04-05, 09:43 AM
I think I've resolved it with my DM now. My Summon Nature's Ally spells can be used to summon my animal friends, so long as they are on the appropriate list.

Because of my Handle Animal checks, I'll be using this to raise Advanced animals, with extra HD. Swanky.

The Summon Dire Hawk spell is also incredibly specific on what it summons, making it a LOT simpler to summon that creature.

Are there any other specific summon spells? I know of Dire Hawk and Devoted Roc, but Roc is a cleric-domain spell of 9th level, so that's not an option.

bosssmiley
2008-04-05, 06:36 PM
Dangerous and sexy can be used depending on the meaning of dirty.

If you want something truly dirty, I read a PrC that fused Evangelion and Pokémon. It required you wangst all the time and follow x stereotypes borrowed from Pokémon.

Also, guiltily pleased can be used. C'mon, that's a guilty pleasure.

I'll see your PrC and raise you PokeThulhu - cute and cuddly eldritch horror gaming.

The scariest sound in the world? A squeaky little voice from the bushes saying "Jigglypolyp!"

Collin152
2008-04-05, 06:38 PM
I'll see your PrC and raise you PokeThulhu - cute and cuddly eldritch horror gaming.

So, they send out little kids to go collect beings that would drive you mad to look upon?

mostlyharmful
2008-04-05, 06:40 PM
So, they send out little kids to go collect beings that would drive you mad to look upon?

Little kids'll do anything you give them enough sugar. seriously. ANYTHING!

Collin152
2008-04-05, 06:40 PM
Little kids'll do anything you give them enough sugar. seriously. ANYTHING!

Wow, that sounds legal.

mostlyharmful
2008-04-05, 07:15 PM
Wow, that sounds legal.

They haven't caught me yet. He he he! Also legal doesn't really apply to the actions of minors. He he he!:smallcool:

DLoFunk
2008-04-06, 12:50 PM
I saw this a while back and had to share it now.

http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/pokemaster.html

I've been dying to try this out of sheer curiosity!

bugsysservant
2008-04-06, 01:20 PM
They haven't caught me yet. He he he! Also legal doesn't really apply to the actions of minors. He he he!:smallcool:

:smalleek:

Shouldn't you, I don't know, be on the 4chan /b/ boards or something?

Ascension
2008-04-06, 11:14 PM
I saw this a while back and had to share it now.

http://www.scshop.com/~ritaxis/pokemaster.html

I've been dying to try this out of sheer curiosity!

Oh, that's great. I would really play that, although capturing would be really tough at low levels.

If I ever play a complete joke campaign... :smallbiggrin:

seedjar
2008-04-07, 10:45 AM
I imagine using a bag of tricks to insult your foes isn't good enough eh?

Perhaps this has been asserted already in this thread, but bag of tricks is made of win. No NPC is prepared for you to put a random mammal down his trousers (not a hard Sleight of Hand DC if you've got ranks.) The fun of it is, even you don't know what it'll be until you let go!
~Joe

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-07, 10:57 AM
Aren't there some rules in UA for customising your summons list? They could be used as precedent.

:smalleek:

Shouldn't you, I don't know, be on the 4chan /b/ boards or something?

You mean 12chan ...

Signmaker
2008-04-07, 08:07 PM
Aren't there some rules in UA for customising your summons list? They could be used as precedent.

You mean 12chan ...

Already using them. UA allows specific animals (Sparky the Dire Wolverine, etc) to be summoned.