PDA

View Full Version : Character Flaws

UnrealSkill
2008-04-04, 08:23 PM
Any one have a any good idea for character flaws? (For any one really but im playing a paladin). Also I would love to hear your favorite ones. :smallbiggrin:

zerombr
2008-04-04, 11:47 PM
chivalrous courtesy = -4 to attack against opposite sex

code of arms = -4 to attack opponents without a weapon (not counting monks)

FlyMolo
2008-04-04, 11:49 PM
chivalrous courtesy = -4 to attack against opposite sex

code of arms = -4 to attack opponents without a weapon (not counting monks)

+1. note that the penalty goes away if an unarmed opponent hits things regardless. So natural weapons don't end up really counting, except maybe in the first round. Also, don't hunt mages.

Nohwl
2008-04-05, 01:13 AM
pick a type of combat to specialize in, melee or ranged. take the flaw for the one you dont plan on using.(i forget the names of both.)

Deepblue706
2008-04-05, 02:22 AM
Not an Ambiturner

You cannot turn in both directions - it is now limited to just right or left. Roll D% when first acquiring this feat to determine which (01-50 left, 51-100 right). When being flanked, your opponents receive twice the benefit to attack rolls against you. You also suffer a -1 penalty to initiative rolls.

brian c
2008-04-05, 02:27 AM
pick a type of combat to specialize in, melee or ranged. take the flaw for the one you dont plan on using.(i forget the names of both.)

See, that's why flaws need DM approval. A spellcaster who takes the flaw "Noncombatant" is basically just being handed a free feat; same with anyone who takes the minus to ranged attacks if they're a melee class.

Elrond
2008-04-05, 02:41 AM
I agree with brian u should get permission from a DM about flaws with like that but heres some flaws that i use

- Has moltible perssonas (dosn't really do anything in combat or alike but makes for some good roleplaying)

- combat moltible perssonas (u go into a sort of angry perssona and get +1 in melee and -1 at ranged) or (u go into a sort of calm perssona and get +1 in ranged attacks and -1 in melee)

Kizara
2008-04-05, 03:35 AM
I agree with brian u should get permission from a DM about flaws with like that but heres some flaws that i use

- Has moltible perssonas (dosn't really do anything in combat or alike but makes for some good roleplaying)

- combat moltible perssonas (u go into a sort of angry perssona and get +1 in melee and -1 at ranged) or (u go into a sort of calm perssona and get +1 in ranged attacks and -1 in melee)

Argh, I'm sorry but the kobolds are crying!

*Has multiple Personas

Also, this isn't Bnet, using "i" and "u" instead of actual grammar is irritating.

As for your actual suggestion, that honestly sounds like just blatant min/maxing to me.

SoD
2008-04-05, 03:48 AM
I think that rolling for flaws could work. If a player wants an extra flaw, roll randomly for it. If he rolls a good one (one that doesn't screw the character concept, noncombatant for a spellcaster) he can keep it. If he rolls a bad one, he can choose weather to keep the flaw, or to go flawless and extra-featless.

Of course, that requires creating a table for randomly selected flaws.

Rad
2008-04-05, 04:24 AM
I think that rolling for flaws could work. If a player wants an extra flaw, roll randomly for it. If he rolls a good one (one that doesn't screw the character concept, noncombatant for a spellcaster) he can keep it. If he rolls a bad one, he can choose weather to keep the flaw, or to go flawless and extra-featless.

Of course, that requires creating a table for randomly selected flaws.

Randomness at character creation is EVIL. (And he's a paladin :smalltongue: )
That said, I never use flaws since I could find no way to make them not broken. The most reasonable I heard of would be the -4 to hit Vs. unarmed foes (make that foes that are considered unarmed, so that monks and natural weapons count as weapons and you have a solid mechanic to rely on) There are things that would make that flaw make little sense (is a warlock armed? A sorcerer that knows, but is not holding the charge of Shocking Grasp?) so it would really only apply to people you wouldn't strike anyway... so no, I wouldn't allow even that as a DM.

The thing with the double personalities +1 melee/-1 ranged switched at will... I could consider giving it as a feat (a bit better than weapon focus) but in the end it's just "whatever keeps your game fun".

Closet_Skeleton
2008-04-05, 05:18 AM
Randomness at character creation is EVIL

Bah, roll 3d6 6 times and put them down in order as your ability scores, then choose your class and race in a mad hope to make your new character viable.

Zincorium
2008-04-05, 05:31 AM
Bah, roll 3d6 6 times and put them down in order as your ability scores, then choose your class and race in a mad hope to make your new character viable.

Yeah, brings back memories. Not all of them good, mind you, it was way too easy to get a character who might as well have had a 'kill me' sign taped to his back. And it's funny how someone always seemed to wind up with 18/00 strength...

Anyway, regarding flaws: As a DM be careful, as a player be respectful of the DM's opinion, same as most other things. Most flaws really aren't bad enough to be worth a feat, and many are so easily controverted that you might as well have just given everyone a free feat.

I personally, as DM, don't allow by-the-book flaws, if you've got a cool character flaw, tell me about it and I'll give you a perk to compensate.

SoD
2008-04-05, 06:02 AM
Randomness at character creation is EVIL. (And he's a paladin :smalltongue: )

Well, it's struchered randomness. They choose weather to roll or not, and if they don't like what they get, they don't need to take it. Simple.