PDA

View Full Version : General batman spell list?

Frosty
2008-04-04, 09:13 PM
Everybody who has played wizards at higher levels, list your spell loadouts here! I've banned Enchantment, and I want to see what spells you guys have scribed in your spellbook to be able to handle as many situations as possible since I don't want to be underpowered.

You can spontaneously cast Divination spells from any class. Assume level 14, and that you have these many spells in your spellbook:

Level 1: 16
Level 2: 16
Level 3: 14
Level 4: 10
Level 5: 8
Level 6: 4
Level 7: 3

If you want, you can post what spells you usually prepare every morning as well as you languish in your Magnificent Mansion :smallsmile:

I need all the help being a Batman-tatrix as I can.

Solo
2008-04-04, 10:01 PM
If I recall correctly, Solo's Stupendously Superior Sorcerer Stratagems has a good list of Batman spells.

Just pick the ones you like and you'll be good to go.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-04, 10:03 PM
Level 0: Summon Solo!

:smallwink:

Frosty
2008-04-04, 10:42 PM
I like solo's list, but it doesn't take into account non-core stuff.

SydneyLosstarot
2008-04-04, 10:47 PM
try this guide)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500

Solo
2008-04-04, 10:48 PM
I like solo's list, but it doesn't take into account non-core stuff.

1. Treantmonk's Guide and TLN's Guide do. (both linked to)
2. There is a non-core portion in the appendix, though it isn't too big.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-04, 10:48 PM
Or PM Tippy and ask him for one of his lists with a pretty please.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-04, 10:59 PM
Or PM Tippy and ask him for one of his lists with a pretty please.

Haha. Most of the spell lists I have lieing around expect access to 9th level spells.

Really, to make a good spell list just browse through your books and write down whatever looks interesting and where its located. Then go back and pick out what you like best. If your not a complete incompetent you can come up with a good spell list. And if you mess up a bit, its not a big deal, you can always change them tomorrow.

Frosty
2008-04-04, 11:06 PM
1. Treantmonk's Guide and TLN's Guide do. (both linked to)
2. There is a non-core portion in the appendix, though it isn't too big.

I must've missed those links, but I found them from the WotC forums. Thanks for mentioning.

Combining Dimension Jumper with Lesser Celerity is good for getting out of the way of the charging Frenzied Berserker. Now if only there were a Paladin to cast a spell on to make me immune to daze. Bah...wizards get so few spell slots!

Tippy, I'm asking for spells known, not spells prepared. I can't switch out spells known as a Wizard every day :p Unless I have a lot of different spellbooks with different spells.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-04, 11:11 PM
One important thing to keep in mind that adds a whole lot of spells that aren't really worth it to a Sorcerer to any good Batman list:

Hour per level buffs. Not really worth it for a spell known, but absolutely worth it for a single spell cast every day. One of the major Wizard advantages is to do this with one spell or more per level.

Of course Incantatrix even adds in other crazy buffs, but whatever.

The thing is, you should really look through spell lists and come up with your own spells. Yes comprehensive lists like TLNs or Treatmonk's are useful, because they save you the time of looking through a bunch of crappy spells, but you should come up with your own spells to really make a character.

Though I've already given you the link to my Wizard, and he has his spells for the day prepared already, but that's mostly a low powered but still awesome list. I didn't want to break out the high powered list until later.

Frosty
2008-04-04, 11:12 PM
I am also looking at Tocar's list. Useful definitely. Can't find HEart of Fire though.

Solo
2008-04-04, 11:12 PM
Combining Dimension Jumper with Lesser Celerity is good for getting out of the way of the charging Frenzied Berserker. Now if only there were a Paladin to cast a spell on to make me immune to daze. Bah...wizards get so few spell slots!

Veil of Undeath?

Frosty
2008-04-04, 11:17 PM
That spell grants immunity to like everything EXCEPT Daze :(

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-04, 11:26 PM
Oh you just want spells known? You have a blessed book right? Scrolls are cheap and with the BB you don't have to pay to scribe. Just put down whatever spells you want.

I can never find enough good spells to fill all my spells known space.

Frosty
2008-04-04, 11:29 PM
Yep. Got a blessed book. higher levels scrolls aren't exactly cheap though.

Cuddly
2008-04-04, 11:32 PM

Copying from another wizard's spellbook is 100xspell level gp. Put a wizard's guild somewhere in your backstory.

Frosty
2008-04-04, 11:38 PM
My fellow Incantatrixes weren't really too interested in helping me actually, as the only male in the entire organization. But yeah, DM says we have to pay Scroll price for extra spells.

Chronos
2008-04-04, 11:39 PM
Level 0: Summon Solo!Are you kidding? That's epic!

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-04, 11:41 PM

I suppose.

7th Level: MMM, Greater Teleport, Ironguard (since you can persist it)
6th Level: Greater Anticipate Teleport, Greater Dispel Magic, Disintegrate
5th Level: Dimension Jumper, Dragonsight, Shadow Evocation, Greater Blink, Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Xorn Movement, Duelward (gives a spell craft bonus among other things IIRC)

Fill the lower level slots with whatever strikes your fancy.

Frosty
2008-04-05, 12:36 AM
Do you think Dragonskin is worth it?

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-05, 12:50 AM
Do you think Dragonskin is worth it?

You mean dragonsight? If so, yeah. It's not like there are that many better 5th level spells and with its hours/level duration you don't need to persist it. And with Easy Chain and the Incantatrix capstone you can put in on the whole party with a 6th level slot (or sudden meta it instead).

Frosty
2008-04-05, 12:59 AM
Well, everybody getting Darkvision, blindsense, and all jazz is good I guess.

Reinboom
2008-04-05, 01:05 AM
Veil of Undeath?

Favor of the Martyr (4th level Paladin spell, spell compendium and book of exalted deeds)
Actually makes the target immune to daze.

-edit-

I'm considering writing a small Spell Search web app to find Spell Levels, Subschools, Range, Duration... everything but the actual spell text, with an extra 'comments' field on it, that specific members I assign can give helpful comments. Whether they be "IT'S A TRAP" to "IT MAKES DMs CRY". Preferably more detailed.

Would anybody be willing to participate in gathering the data for me if I did?

-edit 2-
This is relevant to the topic in that I could also let things be marked as 'batman ready', so, people can just find a "general batman spell list" easily. :smalltongue:

Frosty
2008-04-05, 01:27 AM
Favor of the Martyr (4th level Paladin spell, spell compendium and book of exalted deeds)
Actually makes the target immune to daze.

-edit-

I'm considering writing a small Spell Search web app to find Spell Levels, Subschools, Range, Duration... everything but the actual spell text, with an extra 'comments' field on it, that specific members I assign can give helpful comments. Whether they be "IT'S A TRAP" to "IT MAKES DMs CRY". Preferably more detailed.

Would anybody be willing to participate in gathering the data for me if I did?

-edit 2-
This is relevant to the topic in that I could also let things be marked as 'batman ready', so, people can just find a "general batman spell list" easily. :smalltongue:

This site has a bit of what you're looking...except the helpful comments part :) http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.asp

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-05, 04:00 AM
Heart of Fire is in Complete Mage with all the other Heart spells. Sorry the list of spells prepared is pretty basic, and actually designed around a couple tricks.

My spells known is not online, I use a program to keep track of it, because I have a DM who is nice enough to allow trading spells with other Wizards, and I have a Blessed Book, and I am a Geometer.

So that means my first 1000 spells are free. As such I have about 150 spells known.

The tricks my spells prepared are designed around are:

1) Swim speed and water breathing means Wall of Water becomes downright deadly to enemies if set up right.

2) Lesser Dragonshape to turn familiar into a Dragon, then standard action to set up a full attack for him or do some battlefield control. Next round Wraithstrike and Whirling Blade (share Wraithstrike with the power-attacking Dragon).

So my spells aren't a real Batman list, but other things like Spiritwall, Disintegrate, Fleshshiver, and such are.

Frosty
2008-04-05, 11:39 AM
Doesn't your familiar lose spell benefits when moving more than 5ft away from you?

mostlyharmful
2008-04-05, 12:01 PM
Doesn't your familiar lose spell benefits when moving more than 5ft away from you?

Nope. Like Animal Companions this is one of the best things about Familiars. They can share your self buffs if they're within 5 feet and then the spell runs independantly for both of you (I don't know if dispeling one will affect the other), so you can cast shapechange or whatever and turn into something to help your casting, Choker or what-have-you, while your familiar turns into a dragon or a hydra and owns the place. Hence if you're talking about your Incantatrix build your familiar gets all of them and you control them completely, sort of a second character given the strength of some of the buffs available.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-05, 12:16 PM

They lose the benefits of shared spells, but not personal range spells that you cast on your familiar with a range of touch.

You can either turn your familiar into a Dragon, who can move freely, or you can both turn into a dragon as long as you stay adjacent.

So either both turn into a dragon and do 12d6 breath damage and then wait still be awesome at melee, or Turn your familiar into a Dragon, then cast wraithstrike on him when you are adjacent, so that he can power attack for full.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-05, 04:39 PM
Umm... excuse me, but how do you spontaneously cast divination spells from any class? I thought CC spontaneous divination only allowed you to spontaneously cast the divination spells you have on your spellbook.

Was what I was going to ask, but when I checked Complete Chesse the wording of it read: "you can spontaneouly cast any spell of the divination school..." emphasis mine.

Now I'm a firm believer in Batman. Hail Frosty!

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-05, 04:40 PM
They lose the benefits of shared spells, but not personal range spells that you cast on your familiar with a range of touch.

You can either turn your familiar into a Dragon, who can move freely, or you can both turn into a dragon as long as you stay adjacent.

So either both turn into a dragon and do 12d6 breath damage and then wait still be awesome at melee, or Turn your familiar into a Dragon, then cast wraithstrike on him when you are adjacent, so that he can power attack for full.

Actually you need not both be dragons. Turn your familiar into a dragon and yourself into a Pixie and ride it around. Although I generally prefer Shadesteel Golems for my Shapechanging fun.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-05, 05:02 PM
Actually you need not both be dragons. Turn your familiar into a dragon and yourself into a Pixie and ride it around. Although I generally prefer Shadesteel Golems for my Shapechanging fun.

I'm not talking about Shapechange. I'm talking about Wizards under level 17 (they do exist sometimes). My particular Wizard is level 12, not 17.

He uses the "Polymorph school" spells from later books, but casts them on his familiar, this is actually better then Polymorph though not, of course, as good as Shapechange.

(Better when cast on your familiar, worse when cast on any real character.)

Frosty
2008-04-05, 11:02 PM
Umm... excuse me, but how do you spontaneously cast divination spells from any class? I thought CC spontaneous divination only allowed you to spontaneously cast the divination spells you have on your spellbook.

Was what I was going to ask, but when I checked Complete Chesse the wording of it read: "you can spontaneouly cast any spell of the divination school..." emphasis mine.

Now I'm a firm believer in Batman. Hail Frosty!

Hailing frequencies open. "Thanks Bag-o-holding :smallsmile: "