PDA

View Full Version : Would this work...

SamTheCleric
2008-04-04, 09:54 PM
Wu Jen level 9 Spell - Transcend Mortality (Complete Mage)
Jade Phoenix Mage Class Ability - Emerald Immolation (Tome of Battle)

Say I cast Transcend Mortality... for the next 16 or so rounds I go nuts on the enemy, nearly unkillable... and then on the last round of the spell, I use Emerald Immolation to cause myself to explode and reform 1d6 rounds later...

Would that negate the downside of Transcend Mortality (the... you know... death by disintegrate, no save)?

Can I really run up to the bad guys... beat on them... AND blow up?! :smallbiggrin:

SilentNight
2008-04-04, 09:58 PM
I don't know the spell but from your description I would say it does work. Most people on the boards would disagree with me but I love casters who are good at melee.

Squidmaster
2008-04-04, 10:02 PM
I don't know the spell but from your description I would say it does work.

I have to say I agree as well. Even if it doesn't work that way, it sounds like an awesome idea all the same.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-04, 10:04 PM
My jade phoenix mage just became a Wu Jen. :)

_Zoot_
2008-04-05, 06:03 AM
.....Ouch.....

Nice, That should work :smallamused:

mostlyharmful
2008-04-05, 06:17 AM
Technically legal and certainly stylish... best of all you can get your DM to agree by pointing out that although its big and flashy it isn't even your most effective (read broken) option, just the most fun one:smallbiggrin:

Iku Rex
2008-04-05, 06:29 AM
Would that negate the downside of Transcend Mortality (the... you know... death by disintegrate, no save)?It's not clear, but I'm inclined to say "no", both by RAW and RAI.

Transcend Mortality: When the spell ends, you are instantly slain and reduced to a pile of dust (as disintegrate). This effect allows no save and can't be prevented by any means, though you can be resurrected normally afterward.

You're trying to prevent being "instantly slain and reduced to a pile of dust". That's impossible, according to the spell description. It does seem strange that you could somehow be "slain" after being "utterly destroyed" by emerald immolation, but flavor-wise you've expended all your life energy and that's that. Maybe you reappear only to get snuffed seconds later?

senrath
2008-04-05, 07:12 AM
Although I'd allow it (mostly 'cause it's just awesome), per RAW and RAI I'd have to agree with Iku on this. Most likely you explode...and don't reform.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-05, 07:27 AM
It may just be awesome enough to warrant a true rez afterwards. :)

Aquillion
2008-04-05, 08:34 AM
It's not clear, but I'm inclined to say "no", both by RAW and RAI.

Transcend Mortality: When the spell ends, you are instantly slain and reduced to a pile of dust (as disintegrate). This effect allows no save and can't be prevented by any means, though you can be resurrected normally afterward.

You're trying to prevent being "instantly slain and reduced to a pile of dust". That's impossible, according to the spell description. It does seem strange that you could somehow be "slain" after being "utterly destroyed" by emerald immolation, but flavor-wise you've expended all your life energy and that's that. Maybe you reappear only to get snuffed seconds later?But, on the other hand, it doesn't say that it prevents you from being restored by the Jade Phoenix Mage ability, so you definitely come back... somehow.

I would argue that you reform as a pile of dust.

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-05, 08:39 AM
But, on the other hand, it doesn't say that it prevents you from being restored by the Jade Phoenix Mage ability, so you definitely come back... somehow.

I would argue that you reform as a pile of dust.

No, he'd reform AS dust. So for a moment there would be this perfect, entirely lifelike dust statue. Then it would crumble away.

OzymandiasVolt
2008-04-05, 09:55 AM
The trick is that since he's DEAD when the disintegrate comes into play, he's not preventing it. He's not there TO be subjected or not subjected to it because he's DEAD.

So it triggers and does nothing.

Then he reforms.

That's actually a really funny combination.

Douglas
2008-04-05, 10:29 AM
You're not thinking far enough outside the box. Take 4 levels of Spellguard of Silverymoon (Players' Guide to Faerun), one level of Archmage for Arcane Reach, and get a Greater Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell. Spellguard lets you cast "defensive" personal range spells on others at touch range (and Transcend Mortality satisfies the ability's definition of defensive), Arcane Reach changes that to 30', and Chain gives you an extra target per caster level. None of this changes the casting time of one immediate action, and it's dismissable. Cast it on caster level + 1 enemies with a swift action, then dismiss it with your standard action. They all die, no save or SR. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, be prepared for a DM smite the first time you try this, promptly followed by a ruling that "you" means the caster even though you're casting it on someone else, never mind that the intent is obviously that you=the target and the designers just assumed circumventing the Personal range wasn't possible.