PDA

View Full Version : A quick and stupid question.

mabriss lethe
2008-04-04, 09:57 PM
Ok.

I'm trying to be more of a rules stickler than I usually am. My question is simple. Are monsterous humanoids still valid targets for spells and effects that only affect humanoids. My gut instinct says yes, because monsterous or not, they're still humanoid. It's been that way in pretty much every game I've ever been involved in, but I'm trying to find a more concrete support for it.

Does anyone have any.

The best I can come up with right now is in the creatures-as-characters entries. If a playable creature has a type that alters the way it reacts to certains effects, the books usually make a note of it. The playable monsterous humanoids don't have that text box attached in any source I've seen.

Now to continue that line of reasoning to the crux of the problem. If effects that target "any Humanoid" also affect Monsterous humanoids, do powers such as a Change Shape that allows transformation into "any humanoid" also allow transformation into monsterous humanoids?

Any evidence one way or the other that anyone knows about?

dman11235
2008-04-04, 10:04 PM
Look at the types in the SRD (link in Handy Haversack). Monstrous Humanoid is a different type than humanoid.

tyckspoon
2008-04-04, 10:39 PM
Look at the types in the SRD (link in Handy Haversack). Monstrous Humanoid is a different type than humanoid.

Which is to say, no. Effects that target only Humanoids only work on Humanoids, not just anything with Humanoid in its name. Type distinctions are quite specific and clear in the rules.

RandomLunatic
2008-04-04, 10:54 PM
And if you need proof, check out the the Thri-kreen Pc entry in the XPH. The second item says

Montrous Humanoid: Thri-kreen are not subject to spells or abiities that target humanoids only, such as [snip]

mabriss lethe
2008-04-05, 02:34 PM
And if you need proof, check out the the Thri-kreen Pc entry in the XPH. The second item says

thanks.

That's the stuff I was looking for but couldn't find