PDA

View Full Version : Shugenja

Ethrael
2008-04-05, 03:31 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I didn't know where to put this...

Is there anyone who would be bothered to write up the shugenja or send me a link of it? I'd be verrrrry grateful and would give you cake! :smallbiggrin:

Grynning
2008-04-05, 03:33 AM
Not sure what you mean by "write up"...the Shugenja is in 3.0 Oriental Adventures and was reprinted for 3.5 in Complete Divine.
Edit: (Nevermind, I forgot Crystal Keep doesn't have OA classes)

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-05, 03:37 AM
Here's some information: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20050414a . Sadly, I don't think it's legal to post all of the class' details online due to it being part of a book (some classes are described in detail on WotC's site, such as the Archivist, but Shugenjas don't seem to be sadly).

Ethrael
2008-04-05, 03:38 AM
No i know where it is, but I haven't got it, but was hoping someone might be kind enough to put it up on the forums.

EDIT: Thanks for the link tempest.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-05, 03:44 AM
You're welcome. I think they have the same spell progression as a Sprcerer, so this should be useful as well: http://www.devinweb.com/shugenjaspells.htm .

While I'm not sure how these spells fit in with the class, they could be of interest to you: http://www.devinweb.com/shugenjaschoolspells.htm .

Grynning
2008-04-05, 03:46 AM
As Tempest points out, it wouldn't be legal to post the whole class up here. Basically though, they're divine casters, they have spells known/per day like a sorcerer, and they choose a favored element (no domains).
If you wanted to run a homebrew/houseruled version, start with the Cloistered Cleric variant from the d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric), but only choose a single elemental domain and use the spells per day table of a sorcerer.

Edit due to Ninja :smalltongue: : Actually, using the cloistered cleric, the sorcerer spells per day and the spell lists that Tempest provided pretty much gives you the whole class. Just use the Sorcerer spells per day and spells known , and pick one of the schools from the second link. Use one of your slots each level for one of the school spells, and then choose your other spells known from list on the first link, and you pretty much have a Shugenja, minus the Detect elements class feature (which you can make up based on detect magic, and would replace turn undead).

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-05, 03:50 AM
Beyond spellcasting, do they have any other class skills? I think they have some power over elementals, but I'm not certain about what they do (Wikipedia mentioned it if I remember correctly).

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shugenja_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29 (It shouldn;t be too hard to figure out how to use the other 2 class skills).

Grynning
2008-04-05, 03:56 AM
The OA version just has Detect Elements and Element focus - which are pretty self explanatory, you choose an element and your shugenja can detect it and has to select a portion of their spells known from ones related to that element. The CD version may have added/expanded a little, I don't think it did though (don't have a copy of CD at the moment).

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-05, 04:03 AM
The class skills seem to be the only things which aren't mentioned anywhere. I'd have Concentrate, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Planes, Religion, Nature and Arcana), Profession, Craft, Heal, sense Motive, Bluff and Dilomacy as class skills for them (that may not be accurate, but I thought they fitted in with the classe's flavour).

Ethrael
2008-04-05, 04:23 AM
Thank you both very much for the help, I think i'll be able to work it out from what you've given me. :smallbiggrin:

Aquillion
2008-04-05, 07:55 AM
One thing I never got: Shugenjas and Wu-Jen both use elemental-themed casting. But since they're both oriental-themed Taoist-inspired classes, shouldn't they use Taoist-style five elements instead of the western four?

Zincorium
2008-04-05, 08:04 AM
One thing I never got: Shugenjas and Wu-Jen both use elemental-themed casting. But since they're both oriental-themed Taoist-inspired classes, shouldn't they use Taoist-style five elements instead of the western four?

Because they're Oriental (tm) rather than actually Asiatic?

Nevermind that lumping an entire continent into a single descriptor makes you look silly, there are several different arrangements and ideas about what the elements are, in many cases wood, metal, void, or other elements are considered normal and the more western version (which is itself an overgeneralization of European elemental ideas) would be strange.

Short answer: Wotc does not feel obligated to do research.

bugsysservant
2008-04-05, 08:13 AM

I would say no. Bear in mind that this takes place in a universe where the four elements are concrete as they each have their own plane. Having an entire culture believe in a plane that doesn't exist while planar travel is so easy would be both offensive and silly.

The Rose Dragon
2008-04-05, 12:06 PM

Because Wu Jen are Chinese and Shugenja are Japanese?

Besides, Shugenja do use five elements. Technically. The fifth is void.

I would say no. Bear in mind that this takes place in a universe where the four elements are concrete as they each have their own plane. Having an entire culture believe in a plane that doesn't exist while planar travel is so easy would be both offensive and silly.

You know, there is an Elemental Plane of Wood. No, seriously. There are even Wood Elementals. Well, they are optional, but they are there. And Wu Jen, too, are optional, like all things in D&D.

No Elemental Plane of Metal, though.

GammaPaladin
2008-04-05, 12:56 PM
Wu Jen do use five elements. Fire, earth, water, wood, and metal.

Read your Complete Arcane more carefully ;)