PDA

View Full Version : Majesty Appreciation Thread

Morty
2008-04-05, 08:37 AM
I'm making this thread to see if there are any fans of age-old RTS game Majesty. For those who haven't played it, it's a game set in a traditional fantasy world where you're on the other side of a coin purse- that is, you don't kill monsters as an adventurer, but instead it is you who pay them and keep them entertained as the ruler of the kingdom. You also don't really do anything yourself, instead you either give out orders or set rewards and watch your subjects or adventurers do the job.
So, have anyone else played and enjoyed this game?

warty goblin
2008-04-05, 09:03 AM
Oh yeah, I love Majesty, and have played absolute gobs of it. Annoyingly something seems to be wrong with my disk or something, because it won't install right anymore...

Trazoi
2008-04-05, 06:27 PM
I played Majesty quite a bit a few years ago. It's pretty fun and has a much more laidback feel to it compared to other RTSes - you don't have to keep frantically clicking on things to tell everyone what to do.

ufo
2008-04-05, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I had it at a time. It's awesome. I love seeing my favoritised heroes slowly amassing levels, becoming nigh unstoppable, while all the low levelled meatshields get slaughtered. I also like how the adventurers seem to form groups for missions. Anyone else noticed this? Once saw two warriors and a cleric and a ranger walking along the same path in a group, helping each other in the battles.

Dhavaer
2008-04-05, 07:12 PM
Majesty is the one where you need a brothel to hire elves, yes? That's the only thing I remember about the game.

DraPrime
2008-04-05, 08:18 PM
I love this game. At first I was annoyed that I couldn't directly control the heroes, but eventually I began to love it. The game requires much less micromanagement than many other RTS games. I always like the Fervus-Krypta temple combination. It's always fun to have a horde of skeletons and animals to protect your town.

Trazoi
2008-04-05, 08:26 PM
Majesty is the one where you need a brothel to hire elves, yes? That's the only thing I remember about the game.
Close, but I remember it being the other way around. If you built the building to hire elves, they'd quickly also build a brothel and a gambling den and declare themselves except from taxation. Says something about elven culture right there - no wonder the dwarves don't won't to work with them :smallamused:

I usually went with the gnomes, because I liked the industrious messy little guys.

Cubey
2008-04-05, 09:31 PM
Majesty is not an RTS! It's real-time but I consider RTSes games where you directly control your units, and not doing it is Majesty's main schtick.

And this game is very cool. I always went for the Dwarf route - elves annoyed the crap out of me and gnomes were pitifully weak. What temples did you guys choose?

EDIT: Also, the tournament training area thing == infinite gold. Good, because you have severe money problems most of the time before that. Your heroes get cash easily, the problem is to make it go to your coffers - just another sign of the game's brilliance, a typical hero's quest seen not through his or her eyes, but through the reigning monarch's.

Rutee
2008-04-05, 09:32 PM
THis sounds vaguely familiar.. I think one of my roommates was telling me about it. Lemme go poke at this, it sounds interesting.

warty goblin
2008-04-05, 10:14 PM
Majesty is not an RTS! It's real-time but I consider RTSes games where you directly control your units, and not doing it is Majesty's main schtick.

And this game is very cool. I always went for the Dwarf route - elves annoyed the crap out of me and gnomes were pitifully weak. What temples did you guys choose?

EDIT: Also, the tournament training area thing == infinite gold. Good, because you have severe money problems most of the time before that. Your heroes get cash easily, the problem is to make it go to your coffers - just another sign of the game's brilliance, a typical hero's quest seen not through his or her eyes, but through the reigning monarch's.

Ah yes, the wonderful subtleties of the monster based economy...or put another way, thank god for trolls.
Actually most of the time my main source of income was marketplaces and trading posts. Not infinite (well, at least not as fast growing) but available much earlier and for much cheaper, plus it provides another outlet for heroes to buy healing potions, which increase their effectiveness massively. Downright neccessary for my wizard heavy building dictum, because otherwise the little old men dissolve terribly easily, particularly when there are vampires and medusas/gorgons around.

Temple wise I often went with the Ferves/Krypta combo for lots of skeletons. It always gave my cities a very 'non-traditional' vibe, since most benevolent fantasy monarchs don't use the undead as an integral portion of their defense forces. Also Warriors of Discord are about 10,000 times cooler than paladins, I mean who doesn't love 10 foot tall homicidal morons who like to 'play' with gigantic pole arms? For Teir 3 temples I liked the sun goddess one better, just for the hilarous contrast of my fervently anti-undead Solars running around supported by a necromancer and half a dozen skeletons and a few zombies. Also the Lunord priests' voices irritated the hell out of me.

Morty
2008-04-06, 05:17 AM
Both elves/dwarves and temples choice are fairly difficult, I belive. Elves are much faster and better in combat -it takes ages for dwarves to get into battle- and they produce a lot of money in the inns. Dwarves, on the other hand, can build, don't spawn brothels and provide excellent ballista towers.
Temples are a matter of preference. I personally liked to, from time to time, scratch all other temples and go for barbarians of Krolm. This temple doesn't provide spells, but the Rage of Krolm is excellent when there's a difficult battle going on.
As for money, early in the game you can make yourself a good deal of cash by organising Market Day in marketplaces- great if you need money right now.
I forgot to mention it earlier, but the icing of the cake in Majesty are heroes' speeches. In most games, voices of units get tiresome quickly, but in Majesty they somehow don't.

Cespenar
2008-04-06, 07:41 AM
Great game, one of my favourites too. For some tactics of my own:

Krypta is great for those occasional dragon raids, because apparently, the dragons' fire breath is coded as a "ranged attack", which the skeletons dodge easily. Even without dragons, I go with Krypta most of the time. The Priestesses are too cool to be without them.

Paladins are very good because of their astronomic defense scores (both three), they can hold off a whole horde by themselves if there's a few healers around.

For the racial choice, I choose gnomes for really hard missions, because speed building can be your only way of survival. But dwarves are much better on other occasions, especially because of their ballista towers.

Oh, and although Solarus are stronger then Adepts, the Haste spell is arguably the best spell in the game. Try casting it on Tax Collectors and Trade Carts.

Rutee
2008-04-06, 12:22 PM
This is pretty spiffy. I'm having trouble with some of the actual subtleties of playing though. Like offering a reward on Monster Spawn spots that doesn't get my level 1s killed..

SHould I even be destroying those? I mean they seem to make money for my heroes, which means money that can be spent and then taxed. It's why I got out of hte habit of building guard houses near all my Sewer spots too.

Morty
2008-04-06, 01:04 PM
This is pretty spiffy. I'm having trouble with some of the actual subtleties of playing though. Like offering a reward on Monster Spawn spots that doesn't get my level 1s killed.

Should I even be destroying those? I mean they seem to make money for my heroes, which means money that can be spent and then taxed. It's why I got out of hte habit of building guard houses near all my Sewer spots too.

Destroying the lair will give heroes quite a big amount of cash at once, so I'd say it's worth it. It's better to do this after a while, of course, if only because low-level heroes will drop like flies in the attempt.

warty goblin
2008-04-06, 01:22 PM
This is pretty spiffy. I'm having trouble with some of the actual subtleties of playing though. Like offering a reward on Monster Spawn spots that doesn't get my level 1s killed..

SHould I even be destroying those? I mean they seem to make money for my heroes, which means money that can be spent and then taxed. It's why I got out of hte habit of building guard houses near all my Sewer spots too.

Generally I try to make my economy as immune to the vaguries and odd chances of heroes spending money as I can. This means I open with gnome hovels, which basically cause my kingdom's rate of growth to explode (they build stuff darn fast) and then get a warrior's guild and a marketplace. Research healing potions as fast as possible while building a ranger's guild, then go from there, adding a trading post as soon as I feel it can be protected.

Generally I don't actually do much with the reward flags, simply because as you said it tends to motivate level ones into suicidal solo assaults on vampires and evil castles, while my level 5s and 8s are off waging war against evil rats or something. Once I've gotten my economy going to the point where losing some of the cheaper heroes at low level isn't so worrying, then I start to break out the reward flags on select targets, such as monster lairs right next to my kingdom and so forth, but for the most part I rely on my heroes to show a bit of initiative, which probably explains why it takes me so long to beat most maps.

By the way, what's the highest level hero anybody's gotten sans cheating? I think I got a healer up to level 19 or so once during a very long custom game. Healers can actually be pretty rediculous, I remember during that mission in the expansion with the two wights, Styx and Stones, having a single paladin surrounded by about a dozen shadowbeasts (cows of death ftw) while being supported by three healers alternating heal and that one spells that mega-hurts undead...took a while but all of the shadowbeasts died.

Rutee
2008-04-06, 01:54 PM
I seem to also be having an inordinate amount of trouble dealing with enemy heroes. I tried the Elves' treachery quest and just basically watched while Elves and Rogues curbstomped me... does the computer follow the same rules you do in this game, out of curiosity?

Zweanslord
2008-04-06, 02:55 PM
Ah, Majesty, a fun little game and one my sister still regularly plays too. I like putting up stuff until you get the arena and then see the wizards amassing many levels as I set it to magic tournaments. For long games it is fun to not use any that go out of their way to kill monsters/lairs so more monsters arrive in town to beat up. Really a nice game all in all and too bad there are not more games like it.

SITB
2008-04-06, 02:57 PM
In the elf mission the computer just starts with elves and rogues, he doesn't need to build them. He can't actually, as there is no castle, just general buildings.

Also, warty goblin only level 19? I usually get level 50~ or so before winning, don't you use tourneys, or do you just skp straight to winning the level?

Tengu
2008-04-06, 04:55 PM
I forgot to mention it earlier, but the icing of the cake in Majesty are heroes' speeches. In most games, voices of units get tiresome quickly, but in Majesty they somehow don't.

Agreed - and it's doubly true for the cultists. These guys might not be the strongest ones around, but they never cease to be amusing.

Rutee
2008-04-06, 05:17 PM
How's loyalty work, if the n00b questions are fine. I had enemy rogues taking out their own Guilds for 200 Gold, and they even had a statue >.>

Edit: Alright seriously doubleyuu Tee Eff how am I supposed to make money when the damn elves can kill off my tax collectors no problems, and nobody can actually keep up with them to force them to fight? >.<

warty goblin
2008-04-06, 08:14 PM
How's loyalty work, if the n00b questions are fine. I had enemy rogues taking out their own Guilds for 200 Gold, and they even had a statue >.>

Edit: Alright seriously doubleyuu Tee Eff how am I supposed to make money when the damn elves can kill off my tax collectors no problems, and nobody can actually keep up with them to force them to fight? >.<

Ah yes, the elf mission. Has the funniest intro ever, but is remourselessly hard.
- Loyalty is basically (from my recollection) how likely a heroe is to ignore an attack flag placed on one of your buildings/people, and as such is most useful for multiplayer games.
- Try setting the amount of gold your tax collectors will pick up before returning to the palace really low, like about 60 or so. Then even when they do get ganked, it hurts you less.
- Don't start placing flags on the enemy elf/rogue buildings until you've built up a lot. IIRC they are unlikely to attack your people until you begin hostilities.
- Also note that they actually will frequent your buildings, generating you income. Of course a lot of the time they steal it right back, but every little helps.
- Move very very slowly. It took me quite a few tries to beat this mission, and it is still one of my least favorites. I far prefer the straight up 'beat up a lot of monsters' types.

Rutee
2008-04-06, 08:21 PM
I can change when they come in at? I'll need to alter that a bit.

And they were sniping my Tax collectors immediately, so I dunno if I coulda just sat down and made money..

Is there anything in particular I need to do to get my heroes to form parties? I've seen Wizards follow other heroes with the "Following and Supporting" command line. And I know that Barbarians are supposed to follow Rangers.. for that matter, what's the deal with Barbarians? They seem like a bad deal, with the killing off of access to all other gods.

Icewalker
2008-04-07, 12:53 AM
Ooooh, good times. A little annoying sometimes, when they go and get themselves killed.

Anyone really try it with cheats? It is actually really really fun. You level up some wizard to a couple hundred, then watch him run around slaughtering things with all monsters set to hardest and most and the like.

Morty
2008-04-07, 08:18 AM
Agreed - and it's doubly true for the cultists. These guys might not be the strongest ones around, but they never cease to be amusing.

I find Warriors of Discord best, myself. "RAAAGH! Come to poppa!"

IAnd I know that Barbarians are supposed to follow Rangers.. for that matter, what's the deal with Barbarians? They seem like a bad deal, with the killing off of access to all other gods.

While the temple of Krolm blocks all other gods, Rage of Krolm ability can be worth it. For its duration, your heroes will be stronger, faster and tougher. It can save the whole kingdom in some cases. And barbarians are preety tough for themselves.

Cespenar
2008-04-07, 02:08 PM
In that elf mission, I remember putting a 100 gold reward on every rogue and elf that I've seen, and of course their guilds. It starts kind of a major civil war, which ends in a few survivors that you can clean up easily. Though I don't remember how I got that much money first. Extortion perhaps? If thieves' guild is enabled at that mission, you don't need to protect your tax collectors, just watch them carefully, and extort the gold when they're being sniped.

Oh, and, by timing those reward flags with the return of the tax collector means that the collector won't be harassed.

By the way, what's the highest level hero anybody's gotten sans cheating? I think I got a healer up to level 19 or so once during a very long custom game.

Funny, I remember getting a healer up to that exact level too. And yes, I don't build fairgrounds as well, but not out of tactics, I just didn't get used to that.

Tweekinator
2008-04-07, 03:07 PM
Is there anything in particular I need to do to get my heroes to form parties? I've seen Wizards follow other heroes with the "Following and Supporting" command line. And I know that Barbarians are supposed to follow Rangers.. for that matter, what's the deal with Barbarians? They seem like a bad deal, with the killing off of access to all other gods.

The barbarians rock. They are good, cheap melee heroes and the temples come with that Rage of Krolm spell. I usually build 2 or 3 temples to Krolm and send my barbarians to stomp everything not me.

Tweekinator
2008-04-07, 03:10 PM

The barbarians rock. They are good, cheap melee heroes and the temples come with that Rage of Krolm spell. I usually build 2 or 3 temples to Krolm and send my barbarians to stomp everything not me.

SMEE
2008-04-07, 05:50 PM

That Elf mission is sort of interesting. The easiest way to secure some safe monetary gain is to set up your marketplace and a few inns close to your Castle. Then build 3 guard houses really close and around the marketplace and update them to have arrows.
Enemy elves AI won't come close to guardhouses... It's funny, but true...

Flying Elephant
2008-04-07, 06:01 PM
I spent tons of time on this game. It is nice that Majesty is so laid back- I made a town on the Free the Slaves mission that filled up the whole map. Through tons of fairgrounds (and leaving the game on with the monitor and screen turned off over several nights), I was the proud owner of, if I remember correctly, a level 96 wizard, and many other heroes in the low 90's. Usually, I used... Dauros and Agrela? the gods with monks and healers, the Solaris god, and gnomes. Healers really helped the paladins become invincible, I liked how the Solaris defended gaurdhouses, and the gnomes built everything so fast.

TheEmerged
2008-04-07, 06:42 PM
RE: Loyalty. Basically, how likely your heroes are to follow your bounty flags instead of an enemy's. I seem to recall it also affects morale (how soon the hero decides that the heroic thing to do would be to advance to the rear). Some units are more loyal than others; rogue are notoriously bad at this.

Some buildings -- most noticeable statues -- increase loyalty. If I remember that elf mission right, one key way to beat it is to put a bounty on the enemy statue first. Once it's gone, the enemy's own rogues will go after the bounty you place on their own rogues guild.

RE: Highest level character, without cheating. I had a level 90 gnome once, from a "sandbox" game I kept saved and then set to the highest game speed and messed around with for months.

RE: Race Choice. I prefered the gnomes and dwarves myself. Gnomes are great for a mission where you need a fast build, and are tough to beat for protecting your home base once they start adventuring ("At last, some adventure!"). The dwarven ballista simply cannot be beat for defense. Make no mistake, you don't sign up for the dwarves for their units ("If I had my good hammer, you'd be sorry!"). Elves were actually a little broken at release, but the expansion corrected this.

RE: Temple Choices. I'm not a fan of the barbarians (Krom). I tend to prefer the "good pair" (can't remember names here) for the Level 2 temples, but the Moon for the Level 3 temple. The moon temple speed buff does wonders for getting certain heroes to the fight in time to actually participate, and the adepts are actually much better at patroling the city than most other heroes. The only problem is getting the adepts to LEAVE the city, which is crucial for some missions. If the mission involves going hunting for something, use the Sun temple.

Rutee
2008-04-07, 07:25 PM
That Elf mission is sort of interesting. The easiest way to secure some safe monetary gain is to set up your marketplace and a few inns close to your Castle. Then build 3 guard houses really close and around the marketplace and update them to have arrows.
Enemy elves AI won't come close to guardhouses... It's funny, but true...

Hm. I guess I was doing it wrong.. thanks for the advice. I ended up clearing the stage with.. brute monetary force, so there ya go.

Blayze
2008-04-08, 02:16 AM
This sounds like a nice game to play after growing up with Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius and Theme Park (And slaughtering my Sims countless times). Thanks for introducing me to it.

Dumbledore lives
2008-04-08, 02:36 AM
I loved the mausoleums, seriously they have got to be one of the best buildings, it allows you to get more heroes than you should, and they come back with all their experience and stuff. I liked the Krypta and Cultist line, then probably the speedy guys. I also normally use gnomes, just because they are awesome.

SMEE
2008-04-08, 04:49 AM
Regarding racial choices and temples:

I go with dwarves whereas I can. Their ballista towers are invaluable defense tools.

For level 2 temples, my picks are Agrela (healers) and Dauros (monks and paladins)
For level 3, I always go with Lunord. The haste spell is too useful for my caravans. :smallsmile:

Ethdred
2008-04-08, 05:37 AM
The Elven Treachery one is tricky until you get the hang of it. Tips

- Rangers outshoot elves every time
- build a level 2 rogues' guild to provide poison and extortion but don't bother with recruiting rogues
- elves and rogues run from guardhouses that have arrows
- paladins move fast enough to put the smack down

I tend to start by building gnome hovels to get more workers, then seal off an area with guardhouses. Then it's just a matter of having enough marketplaces and tax collectors to recruit rangers and paladins. After a while you should be earning enough cash to put huge reward flags down.

Coincidence this thread's come up as I'm in a big phase of playing Majesty. It's a really good game. I like the sim aspect of it rather than the total control of an RTS, though I do spend a lot of time shouting at the screen as heroes ignore some big attack that's happening right next to them, or some 9th level guy runs from a rat.

Fave classes are the Solarii (especially the way they go around attacking lairs without needing rewards), wizards (once they get meteor swarm and don't keep dying), Paladins (for combat ability and willingness to get stuck in) and cultists for the fun of it. I also really like gnomes, but prefer to go the dwarf route, as they are so good defensively.

A tip for earning cash no-one's mentioned is putting inns close to marketplaces - put a few in a circle with a guild and a watchtower, then your tax collector doesn't have to walk far.

I've had heroes up in the level 20s but generally can't be bothered to keep the game running any longer. Healers do seem to level up the fastest, which I find annoying for some reason.

Anyone play Heroes of Ardania? It's a free online role-playing game set in the Majesty world, run by some fans. I'm finding it really good fun at the moment. You only get one turn an hour, but you can create as many characters as you like (one per account, so you have to start being creative with log in names) so you can keep busy.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-04-08, 05:11 PM
Tech stuff

Ahh, Nvidia doesn't support Majesty- had to disable direct draw, but it runs like a charm now. Hooray! :smallbiggrin:

Now on to more business, I could never beat that damn dragon stage. I'd get a good start, then the dragons would kill everyone, leaving me to defend with only level 3-4 paladins and wizards by the time they came back. Any tips for that stage?

warty goblin
2008-04-08, 05:37 PM
Tech stuff

Ahh, Nvidia doesn't support Majesty- had to disable direct draw, but it runs like a charm now. Hooray! :smallbiggrin:

Now on to more business, I could never beat that damn dragon stage. I'd get a good start, then the dragons would kill everyone, leaving me to defend with only level 3-4 paladins and wizards by the time they came back. Any tips for that stage?

Great to hear that! I've been unable to get Majesty to run on my semi-powerful gaming rig for a while now. I'll try disabling Direct Draw tonight, see if that helps.

I don't think I ever beat the dragon stage either (I assume you mean the one with lots of dragons, not the one with the really big two headed dragon), but I came pretty close. The key is quite simply to use temples to Krypta. Skeletons have obscene defenses against ranged attacks, such as a dragon's breath weapon, and are completely fearless so they'll always attack. I've seen dragons be killed off by a single, very determined, skeleton before, although usually it takes two or three, and generally one dies in the effort.

Rutee
2008-04-08, 05:46 PM
Man I can not figure which of the level 2 temples I prefer more. Krolm synchronizes well with my love of Rangers, as does Argela (I like free healing potions, at least). Argela/Dauros makes for really durable heroes since those healers are just awesome at it, and you can cast Stoneskin on your heroes, but Krypta/Fervus yields so many creeps.

What's the point of Elves, if Rangers are better? They don't seem that hot, if I can get better ranged attackers without detracting from my economy. Also, what are the requirements to get Elves into play? I think Dwarves need a level 3 blacksmith..

Tengu
2008-04-08, 05:53 PM
The point of elves, obviously, is to have ambigiously-gendered (probably male but I'm not 100% sure...) people run around your kingdom like crazy!

I've actually found them to be better in shooting than rangers (though that might be because I've played Majesty ages ago and remember things wrong), just much more cowardly - which means it's a pain to have them actually kill anything, but on the other hand it means that it's hard to lose them, especially combined with their huge speed.

Ethdred
2008-04-08, 06:30 PM
AFAIK elves are always worse than rangers in a straight shoot off. But once you've got an elven bungalow, the income of your markets is doubled, which may well make up for the loss of income to their nasty gambling and whoring schemes. I think you need a level 3 market place to begin building elf buildings. So it's a trade off - elven income vs dwarven defense.

TheEmerged
2008-04-08, 07:27 PM
RE: Why have elves? Like someone said, "Once you've got an elven bungalow, the income of your markets is doubled." I seem to recall it's only +50% with the expansion, but I can't confirm that right now. I do remember that pre-expansion the conventional wisdom was to take elves unless you didn't have a choice, or specifically needed the gnome quick start or the dwarven defenses. Really, elves follow the same rule as dwarves -- you aren't choosing them for the units.

Gnomes on the other hand, you are chosing for the units. Having gnomes in your kingdom means you're going to be more than doubling the number of people running around building/repairing things early on -- a huge upgrade, let me tell you. Later on, the gnomes serve as pretty decent city defenders (especially when the inevitable sewer crunch begins). One nice thing about gnomes is that unlike a lot of units they'll go to some trouble to improve their stuff; the gnome AI seems to put a priority on self improvement, so you'll see gnomes running around with enchanted, poisoned, upgraded equipment when other heroes spend all their money on potions.

And trust me, one of the most welcome sounds in the game for me is "At last, some adventure!" One of my favorite memories in the game is the first time I tried the goblin board; my gnomes were rebuilding a certain building just as fast as the enemies were destroying it, while one lone warrior ran around slowly killing them...

RE: Adventuring Parties. I tried to find my notes but failed. I'll keep looking but here's what I remember. Certain heroes are more likely to start them than others (I seem to recall that Warriors are the most likely to start them, supposedly part of the balance between them and paladins/discords). Most won't join until they get to a certain level.

Caxton
2008-04-08, 09:51 PM
Oh, I love Majesty. My first D&D character was a paladin of Dauros.

Rutee
2008-04-09, 12:38 AM
RE: Why have elves? Like someone said, "Once you've got an elven bungalow, the income of your markets is doubled." I seem to recall it's only +50% with the expansion, but I can't confirm that right now. I do remember that pre-expansion the conventional wisdom was to take elves unless you didn't have a choice, or specifically needed the gnome quick start or the dwarven defenses. Really, elves follow the same rule as dwarves -- you aren't choosing them for the units.

Gnomes on the other hand, you are chosing for the units. Having gnomes in your kingdom means you're going to be more than doubling the number of people running around building/repairing things early on -- a huge upgrade, let me tell you. Later on, the gnomes serve as pretty decent city defenders (especially when the inevitable sewer crunch begins). One nice thing about gnomes is that unlike a lot of units they'll go to some trouble to improve their stuff; the gnome AI seems to put a priority on self improvement, so you'll see gnomes running around with enchanted, poisoned, upgraded equipment when other heroes spend all their money on potions.

And trust me, one of the most welcome sounds in the game for me is "At last, some adventure!" One of my favorite memories in the game is the first time I tried the goblin board; my gnomes were rebuilding a certain building just as fast as the enemies were destroying it, while one lone warrior ran around slowly killing them...

RE: Adventuring Parties. I tried to find my notes but failed. I'll keep looking but here's what I remember. Certain heroes are more likely to start them than others (I seem to recall that Warriors are the most likely to start them, supposedly part of the balance between them and paladins/discords). Most won't join until they get to a certain level.

Speaking of Self Improvement, I've seen my people use the library like, /once/. What's with that? Those spells seem pretty spiffy for everyone.

Cespenar
2008-04-09, 01:18 AM
There's an intelligence requirement IIRC. I had a few monks with Power Bolts or whatever they are called, and it worked out good. Though it's silly to make monks one of the slowest units in the game.

Tengu
2008-04-09, 02:17 AM
They're too busy being distracted by contemplating the mysterious wonders of the world around them to walk really fast (unlike Jon Freeman).

Eldritch_Ent
2008-04-09, 02:46 AM
Uuuugh. I know "A deal with the demon" is supposed to be merely advanced, but I can't beat the thing. Most money I've gotten by the 40 day limit is 50k, half of what I need. Any tips? I've tried building elves and a marketplace, but no dice.

Rutee
2008-04-09, 03:13 AM
That's pretty much what I did. Rush for Elves, try and set up 3 or 4 Trading Posts, etc. Try building 2/3 Markets and spamming Market Day once you've finished clearing up the Monster dens. Also a lot of Inns, which are very cost efficient.

There's an intelligence requirement IIRC. I had a few monks with Power Bolts or whatever they are called, and it worked out good. Though it's silly to make monks one of the slowest units in the game.
I know. I was accoutning for that. Like Cultists/Priestesses not using it either. It's kinda annoying.

Ethdred
2008-04-09, 05:55 AM
Uuuugh. I know "A deal with the demon" is supposed to be merely advanced, but I can't beat the thing. Most money I've gotten by the 40 day limit is 50k, half of what I need. Any tips? I've tried building elves and a marketplace, but no dice.

You'll need more than one market - probably 3 if not 4. Also, be careful not to build/recruit more than you have to. As mentioned, inns are a good idea - lots of them, because they all generate income even when not visited. And try to cluster money making buildings so your tax collectors don't have to walk too far. You might also want to build a level 2 rogues' guild towards the end, so you can extort the last bit of cash on the last day. Trading posts earn more money the further away they are from a market, but I don't know if anyone's run the numbers to see if this makes up for the extra travelling time.

Someone picked me up earlier on the size of the boost elves give to your market income - I am willing to stand corrected. I thought I'd read somewhere that it was 100%, but haven't checked it myself.

SMEE
2008-04-09, 07:10 AM
Three to four trade posts away from your main level 3 market place will give you a HUGE boost to your economy.
Get dwarves as soon as possible and build those trade posts with one or two balistas close and watch. You'll only need a level 3 marketplace. Make sure to assign a huge minimul pick up level for one of yours tax collectors and you'll be set.

Driderman
2008-04-09, 10:24 AM
Deal with a Demon: You could make use of those gambling halls... Thats how I did it. Took a few tries, though

Cespenar
2008-04-09, 03:30 PM
Heh, I did it like that once too, though first I played it normally. Just bet on the gold, and you end up netting quite a bit of cash. But it's (obviously) luck, so it might not happen every time.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-04-09, 07:31 PM
Great, now I'm at the final mission and am having trouble- All these houses in the way make it really hard to build my town properly, and I can't seem to develop/explore fast enough to keep up with the enemy waves... Any tips on that one?

Arraxis
2008-04-09, 07:59 PM
I love Majesty - I have the Gold edition, which prevents me from playing the downloadable scenarios, but it is an excellent game :D. I'm thinking of installing it again... hopefully it'll work with Vista...

Rutee
2008-04-10, 06:33 AM
I'm really starting to dig Dwarves. Very nice defenses (Ballista Towers just saved mei n the Tower of Ximil), make using Wizards so much easier (Since they have something to hide behind), and aside from being slow, feel like pretty darn good heroes (Good HP, good weapons, not sure about stats.) and they seem to go pretty far to keep themselves well geared too.

Ethdred
2008-04-10, 07:04 AM
Yep, dwarves are pretty good, and tend to solve any defence problems you might have. The one thing that annoys me is that they seem reluctant to rebuild their home. You'd think that would be their first priority, especially if they'd just killed the thing that was smashing it up, but nearly all of the time they just wander off after the fight, leaving the smoking ruin behind them.

Rutee
2008-04-10, 07:17 AM
ADLGHAKLSDGH. STUPID FREAKING TEMPLE OF KROLM. IIt's in the Dragon King scenario. Should just let htem burn so I can go back to building the useful temples (AKA Krypta for the insane anti-ranged). Seriously what jerk puts TEMPLES as the big nice surprise when you need something that won't get you killed? >.<

Morty
2008-04-10, 08:05 AM
I'm thinking of installing it again... hopefully it'll work with Vista...

It works on Vista all right. I have Vista and I have no problems with running it.

Blayze
2008-04-10, 08:12 AM
I hear Krolm's overpowered anyway. :P (http://majesty.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/herecomestrouble.shtml)

I don't know if anything on that page is of use to you, but who cares about tactics or utility when you've got the Rage of Krolm?

Ethdred
2008-04-11, 07:48 AM
I hear Krolm's overpowered anyway. :P (http://majesty.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/herecomestrouble.shtml)

I don't know if anything on that page is of use to you, but who cares about tactics or utility when you've got the Rage of Krolm?

Thanks for linking to that site - I've used it a couple of times, but keep forgetting to bookmark it. It's got some very useful stuff on it, especially about building a decent economy

Sensate
2008-04-13, 01:16 AM
Thanks to the OP for refreshing my memory - this is a wonderful game. I remember playing it when I was younger; back then I wasn't very good at it but that made it more fun and challenging. After downloading and playing the demo (naturally, I gave my original CD to a friend from elementary :smallannoyed: ), I was surprised to see it still works on XP (except there is this fast scrolling thing but I can deal with it). This game has such a cute design - unit and monster portraits, buildings - I don't mind it all in the least, even though the graphics are outdated to say the least. It's relaxing, fun and rather challenging.

Now I must have it again.

Blayze
2008-04-20, 05:29 PM
Hmm... (http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/majesty2thefantasykingdomsim/news.html?sid=6189541&om_act=convert&om_clk=newlyadded&tag=newlyadded;title;1)

This looks like it could be interesting.

DraPrime
2008-04-21, 07:16 AM
A sequel to majesty? FANTASTIC!

Morty
2008-04-21, 09:29 AM
Whoa. If they don't screw it up big time, it can be great. I just hope they won't meddle overmuch and ruin the concept. I thought games like this weren't being made anymore. It can be the first game since Witcher that I'm actually looking forward to.

Ethdred
2008-04-21, 09:58 AM
We've got about a year to wait on this, apparently (and we all know what development schedules are like). I'm with MOrt in the 'I hope they don't screw this up' camp. Could be really good, but all I've seen so far seems to major on some pretty graphics

DraPrime
2008-04-21, 07:10 PM
I really hope that the temples stay the same. I loved the krypta-fervus combo.

warty goblin
2008-04-21, 08:15 PM
Whoa. If they don't screw it up big time, it can be great. I just hope they won't meddle overmuch and ruin the concept. I thought games like this weren't being made anymore. It can be the first game since Witcher that I'm actually looking forward to.

Agreed, I'm totally down with the concept of another Majesty game, but something about that interview and video just seems a little...off. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm not as optimistic as I should be. Maybe because I've never actually heard of the developer before, which isn't necesarily a bad thing, but is certainly not a good thing. And there's so much that could go wrong with a game like Majesty...now if Relic or Stardock was behind this I would be out painting the letters WASD on my chest and sacrificing World of Warcraft CDs to the gaming gods in thanks. As it is, I guess I'll go burn my Star Wars Galaxies 14 day free trial CD instead.

Rutee
2008-04-21, 08:21 PM
Quick question on Majesty itself. Am I doing it wrong if I'm micromanaging? I tend to watch heroes carefully and do what I've gotta to keep them standing (Like spam healing, and use Change of Heart if I must).

TheEmerged
2008-04-21, 08:30 PM
The only time you're micromanaging too closely is when the game starts to feel like a job instead of something you're doing to have fun. Generally though the challenge is to manage as little as possible. To me, that was the charm of Majesty versus just-another-RTS.

I'm heartened that the new development team understands that the whole indirect influence concept is the charm and therefore hope the new one is not going to be just-another-RTS. I'm a little concerned about how noncommital they are, and at the lack of specific questions the interviewer asks (because I agree, the interactions of the religions in the game is one of its charms).

warty goblin
2008-04-21, 09:04 PM
Quick question on Majesty itself. Am I doing it wrong if I'm micromanaging? I tend to watch heroes carefully and do what I've gotta to keep them standing (Like spam healing, and use Change of Heart if I must).

Depends entirely on the hero in question. Level 1's (expect Paladins and Warriors of Discord who cost a lot to replace) I leave to their fate, and even then, if it'll cost more to save a hero than simply replace them, they are totally on their own. Hey, I'm king, and somebody has to make the tough calls.

If, on the other hand the hero in question is a wizard above say level 4 or 5, it is worthwhile to move heaven and earth (via a ressurect spell if neccessary) to keep them alive, because they really are their own walking win condition, particularly if they can reach any level above 7. Heroes somewhere else on the metric from "gnome, level 1" to "wizard, level 10" are a harder case. Generally I prefer to save the tougher melee heroes before the ranged ones, simply because it is generally more difficult to get a fighter or paladin to a high level compared to a ranger or rogue, and they are more expensive to replace to boot.

In general I micromanage very little, and set back to relax and unload massive amounts of chain lightening into minotaurs and keeping an eye out for trolls so I can watch 'em melt. I lose a lot, but I do it with class

Ethdred
2008-04-22, 09:44 AM
The only time you're micromanaging too closely is when the game starts to feel like a job instead of something you're doing to have fun. Generally though the challenge is to manage as little as possible. To me, that was the charm of Majesty versus just-another-RTS.

That's a good rule of thumb! Though sometimes I like watching certain characters. Especially once you've got your town up and running and you're just waiting for your heroes to finish the job. That's the time to start following people around and watching the big fights. Depending on how well the hero is doing, and how stupid they are being, I may intervene - anything from a well timed healing spell up to full ressurection, all accompanied by copious yelling at the screen.

DraPrime
2008-04-22, 08:51 PM
I micromanage so little that i don't even cast spells. I just let heroes die for their own stupidity or whatever it was that killed them. Unless of course I'm in serious trouble or a big baddie just showed up on my turf.