PDA

View Full Version : Charging into a Wall of Force

LoneGamer
2008-04-05, 11:22 AM
In the next combat I have planned for my game, there may be combatants charging into unseen walls of force. How much damage should they take for this? I think it should be dependent on movement speed in some fashion, but doing it like falling damage might be too much.

Eldmor
2008-04-05, 11:26 AM
I think a flat 1d6 would get the message across without punishing them too much. The only people charging should be able to take it.

Yvian
2008-04-05, 11:29 AM
I have actually ran into a glass patio door at a good speed. Embarrassed? Yes. Stunned? Yes. Hurt? No.

At 40 ft I would say 2d6 Subduly damage.

hamishspence
2008-04-05, 11:29 AM
if you have the equations, work out falling speed after 20, 30, 40, 50 ft etc.
Then compare to speed of running adventurer.
Chances are, falling speed after a bare few feet will be rather higher than running speed: conclusion: not very much damage. 1d6 lethal seems fair, maybe allow a tumble check to reduce it to non-lethal?

mostlyharmful
2008-04-05, 11:39 AM
personally I'd add in the PCs Str Mod or even twice the Str Mod, the dtronger you run into it the more it hurts, the high Str people will tend to be the ones with hp to burn and it gives the unusual situation where the pathetic wizards str gives them an advantage.

KoDT69
2008-04-05, 12:12 PM
Yah, the Wizard will need any advantage he can get if there's a reason for him to be charging or running across a combat zone. In either case, it results from him being out of options or he has "ale muscles" or something silly like that.

I would disagree with the STR argument tho. I know a lot of guys way stronger than myself that can't run fast at all. They are too dopey or uncoordinated to move fast in some cases. I would say use the DEX modifier instead if adding anything to damage. Other than that, being stopped in your tracks and taking 1d6 should suffice.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-05, 12:27 PM
By the rules, there's no ill effect of any sort.

Outside of the rules, I'd recommend no damage (if it's even 1d6, kobolds and goblins can knock themselves into Dying by running into things), but characters are subject to a trip attempt by themselves (using their own Str, size, etc.).

Rift_Wolf
2008-04-05, 12:57 PM
In one game where the party got blinded by an ash cloud (At level 3, permanent blinding. You've gotta love some Paizo adventures...), the DM allowed us to escape but took 1d6 sub-dual for running into walls.

Squash Monster
2008-04-05, 01:31 PM
After falling for ten feet, you take 1d6 points of damage hitting the ground. Assuming earth's acceleration, you're moving at 18 feet per second when you hit, or 108 feet per round.

So really, they only need to take damage if they have a crazy-fast base land speed or they're using full run actions.

LoneGamer
2008-04-05, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I did the math and got similar numbers. The fastest base speed I have to worry about is 70ft, but everything else is 50 or lower, so I should be good.