PDA

View Full Version : Ironwood Items

Townopolis
2008-04-05, 04:03 PM
Are there any rules for the creation or purchase of permanent ironwood items? The text of the spell seems to imply that items that have Ironwood cast on them only retain those properties for a few days before becoming normal wood again. Is there any way to get an item made from ironwood that wouldn't need the spell cast on it every so many days, and if so, what would be the cost of such an item.

If it doesn't work with ironwood, are there any other substances like it that allow normally metal items to be made out of a nonmetal? (Aside from dragonhide armors of course.)

Kyeudo
2008-04-05, 04:30 PM
There's Wildwood, from Races of the Wild, and Bronzewood, from the Eberron Campaign Setting. Those are both steel strength wood.

Worira
2008-04-05, 04:42 PM
Ironwood doesn't actually turn wood into ironwood, it uses a piece of wood as a material component. This means that when the duration ends, the ironwood doesn't turn back into normal wood, it vanishes.

Chronos
2008-04-05, 06:09 PM
Huh, I never noticed that before... That would also mean, then, that a druid with Eschew Materials could make a suit of armor that lasts a few weeks, out of thin air.

SilverClawShift
2008-04-05, 06:54 PM
Huh, I never noticed that before... That would also mean, then, that a druid with Eschew Materials could make a suit of armor that lasts a few weeks, out of thin air.

That's actually a darned awesome image that makes me want to play a druid.

Worira
2008-04-05, 06:57 PM
Well, actually, even if you don't have Eschew Material Components, they're in your component pouch.

mostlyharmful
2008-04-05, 06:57 PM
That's actually a darned awesome image that makes me want to play a druid.

You needed anouther reason???:smallsmile:

tyckspoon
2008-04-05, 07:51 PM
Well, actually, even if you don't have Eschew Material Components, they're in your component pouch.

Well, you might have bits of wood to craft into the desired shape, anyway. The long casting time is probably meant to include the work needed to actually make a figurine of whatever you plan to create.

Townopolis
2008-04-07, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the references, Kyeudo. Unfortunately, while Wildwood is the niftiest wood to ever be wooden, neither of those are very satisfactory for my purposes.

I found a few others, but I'm still looking, Anyone know of any material you can make non-slashing weapons out of (nonmetal) for less than 400 gp/lb?

Because paying 2,500 gp to have a wooden mallet instead of a steel hammer with no other benefits goes against my sense of justice.

DrowVampyre
2008-04-07, 02:27 PM
Well, depends on the weapon in question, but what about just having one made of stone, or petrified wood or something? I'm not sure if either of those would be in a book as a special material, but I don't see why you couldn't have, for example, a mace with a stone head, and a mallet could definitely have a stone head (I'm pretty sure the maul, historically, had a stone or even wood head).

Kyeudo
2008-04-07, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the references, Kyeudo. Unfortunately, while Wildwood is the niftiest wood to ever be wooden, neither of those are very satisfactory for my purposes.

I found a few others, but I'm still looking, Anyone know of any material you can make non-slashing weapons out of (nonmetal) for less than 400 gp/lb?

Because paying 2,500 gp to have a wooden mallet instead of a steel hammer with no other benefits goes against my sense of justice.

Did you check out Densewood, from the Eberron Campaign Setting? It makes pretty good bludgeoning weapons, if I recall correctly.

TempusCCK
2008-04-07, 02:36 PM
Might I suggest a little spell called Permanency? It's going to make your Ironwood last forever.

Worira
2008-04-07, 02:40 PM
Permanency does not work that way.

Person_Man
2008-04-07, 02:42 PM
The cost of an ironwood item is basically the cost of paying someone to cast the spell (or buying a scroll) + cost of crafting whatever you want out of wood.

I actually had a Druid knight build (little k, fluffy knight, not big K, class levels of knight) who rode his animal companion, wore ironwood full plate, and never Wildshaped. He just created it himself using the spell. Interestingly enough, he was still one of the most powerful builds in the party.

In addition to Ironwood and Dragonhide, Races of the Dragon and a couple other books have Chitin armor, made from the hides of giant ankegs.

Chronos
2008-04-07, 02:44 PM
What's wrong with the good old-fashioned club? It also has the advantage that you can cast Shilleleigh on it.

I actually had a Druid knight build (little k, fluffy knight, not big K, class levels of knight)Well of course druids make fluffy knights. They make fluffy everything. Well, unless they're scaly or feathery instead.

Townopolis
2008-04-07, 03:54 PM
The main problem is I'm trying to work this for a goliath TWFing large weapons. Any 1d8 weapon will be upgraded to 2d6 (v. nice) but 1d6 weapons just go up to 1d8 (ok, but not 'v. nice'). This also exacerbates the problem with materials priced by weight (a large warhammer weighs 10lbs.)

Basically, I'd prefer 7 average weapon damage to 4.5 average weapon damage. Otherwise I'd just use a club.

Now, with blue ice being a flat 500gp for slashing weapons and granting those +1 cold damage, it would be easy for me to just TWF longswords, but I kind of like his old hammer+sword combo.

~

Problem with Ironwood is the duration and inability to permanency it, since he's not a druid.

If I could find a way to get a permanent Shillelagh on a club it would be Fracking awesome, but no idea how to go about that.

~

And, of course, the reason I'm going through all this trouble is that I recently discovered (had another player point out to me) the troubling Ironguard spell. I try to make this particular character as "prepared for anything" as I can, which means scrambling for a way to counter persistent Ironguard spells.

It's all Tippy's fault...

[Edit] Hmmm, according to the item creation rules (as wonderfully balanced as those are) a club of continuous Shillelagh (CL 1) would cost either 4,300gp or 6,300 gp (second price is if I first have to make it +1) This would net a +1 club dealing 3d6 damage, but would be unenchantable after that. (Actually, it could also be ruled that you'd have to +1 it first and that would cause the Shillelagh enchantment to fail to take effect.)

DrowVampyre
2008-04-07, 03:58 PM
Oh, if he's not a druid then there's mundane crystal from the Expanded Psionic Handbook (I assume - psionics section in the SRD). Priced as a masterwork weapon, I believe.

Townopolis
2008-04-07, 04:17 PM
Oh, if he's not a druid then there's mundane crystal from the Expanded Psionic Handbook (I assume - psionics section in the SRD). Priced as a masterwork weapon, I believe.
Aha! Problem solved. Thank you!

~

Now then... hmmm, thinking of a Fighter 1/Druid x with Wild Wildwood Full Plate and an animated tower shield...

...Or for gestalt: Fighter 1/Warblade X/Tiger Claw Master Y//Druid Z with aforementioned and TWFing claws... There's nothing that says you cannot initiate maneuvers in animal form, right?

Is there any way to apply weapon enchantments to natural attacks?

Chronos
2008-04-07, 05:35 PM
Ah, I would have mentioned crystal, except that I figured the reason you wanted non-metal was something druidic (hence also the suggestion of Shillelagh). Crystal counts as metal for purposes of the druidic restrictions. But I don't imagine that it'd have a problem with Ironguard.

leperkhaun
2008-04-08, 01:16 AM
bah nevermind found the answer