PDA

View Full Version : Claw Bracers

expirement10K14
2008-04-05, 05:24 PM
The Arms and Equipment guide has a new weapon called the Claw Bracer. If these are worn on the wrist could you wear them, and carry a weapon, then attack with both using a full attack.

I got the idea from-
http://www.feartheboot.com/comic/default.aspx?c=23

Tengu
2008-04-05, 05:31 PM
It's the Fantasy Solid Snake!

Also, are these things official? Do they grant one more attack, or another set of full attacks? In either case - buh-rooo-ken!

Zincorium
2008-04-05, 05:33 PM
You're seriously asking if xXKillStealr69Xx is using a legitimate option?

The answers would be as follows:

1a. Not technically, as it does not state you can use weapons while wearing one...
1b. Neither do gauntlets in the PHB, but it's generally assumed you can.

2. You don't get bonus attacks just for carrying additional weapons, you could use TWF to attack with a weapon in one hand and a clawed bracer on the other.

Josh was using a badly phrased rule in Dice & Dragons & Dungeoncrawls to get an additional attack. Much the same as he was twice the level of everyone else and was half-ogre, half-drow, and half-human (the explanation which is the best strip yet).

Edit:
@Tengu- no, claw bracers don't give you additional attacks, neither do bladed gauntlets from the same book. There's some dragon magazine weapon you attach to a braid in your hair that gives an extra attack, it's real popular on the wotc charop boards, but it's pretty silly.

expirement10K14
2008-04-05, 08:12 PM
What I meant was if I had two claw bracers, one on each arm, then held two kukris and took the two-weapon fighting/multi-weapon fighting feats and have a full attack with 4 weapons.

Zincorium
2008-04-05, 08:27 PM
What I meant was if I had two claw bracers, one on each arm, then held two kukris and took the two-weapon fighting/multi-weapon fighting feats and have a full attack with 4 weapons.

Two weapon fighting allows you to take one additional attack. Period. Improved and greater two weapon fighting allow one additional attack each at progressively lower bonuses.

Multiweapon fighting requires that you have three or more hands. I'm going to assume that if you had more than three hands you wouldn't particularly care, but it follows the same rules.

If you have a base attack bonus of +12, and all three core TWF feats, you have a total of six attacks. You may designate freely which weapons get your primary attacks and which get your off hand attacks, but you get 6 only.

Josh (in the comic) is a munchkin, he is designed to be the epitome of questionable rules interpretations and flat-out powergaming. Being like Josh is not a good thing.

Edit: A good comparison would be someone arguing that because a monk can make an attack with any part of their body, they get to attack with every part of their body. Having weapons available and having the ability to use them all is specifically separated mechanically in D&D.

expirement10K14
2008-04-05, 09:58 PM
Well, by RAW I would say I don't get them. My DM has let me take the following attacks in one full attack (I am a Thri-Keen)-
Bite
6 Shield Bashes
6 Kukris
6 Claw Bracers

And I have improved critical for all of them. My DM is a little crazy, the rest of the players hate me... I think I'll change the build.

Zincorium
2008-04-05, 10:02 PM
My DM is a little crazy, the rest of the players hate me... I think I'll change the build.

Good idea. It's never smart to antagonize the people you're hanging out with without a good reason.

Playing a thri-keen is crazy enough, adding bizarre and nonsensical ideas onto it is having your cake and eating it and half a bakery too.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-05, 10:28 PM
The way I, and most sane people interpret it, is that you cannot attack with the same limb more than once per round, sans iterative attacks.

So, if you have TWF, ITWF, and GTWF, and +11 BAB, you have a total of 6 hits, 3 with each arm. Doesn't matter what you use, and you can't attack with claws if you used the arms to attack with weapons. You also never get iterative attacks with natural weapons, so if you have two claws, you only attack twice with claws.

Now, an odd rules thing: This does, in fact, mean that if you have two claw attacks, a bite, and unarmed strike (and use the unarmed strike with kicks or headbutts), at +11 bab you could attack 3 times with your unarmed strike (+11/+6/+1), twice with your claws (+6/+6), and once with your bite (+6).