PDA

View Full Version : Super Hero Campaign

Demons_eye
2008-04-05, 05:28 PM
I wanted to do a super hero campaign, but for the life of me I cant find a link or a book for it. This there such a thing?

Ie: I wanted to have the party be made of people like spiderman, batman, flash, superman, Iron man, ect ect.....

And send at them Dr. Doom, venom, ect ect...

Cyclone231
2008-04-05, 05:38 PM
There's Hero System, which has a rather chunky book, but it's mostly examples; it has another book, the "Hero System Sidekick," which is much smaller but gets across most of the rules and is (supposedly - I don't own a copy) far less daunting to read and learn than the main book.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-05, 05:40 PM
Mutants and Masterminds 2nd edition will handle it perfectly.

Demons_eye
2008-04-05, 05:47 PM
Hmmmm thanks so far.
and cyclone why man why!

Collin152
2008-04-05, 05:50 PM
Classic Marvel Roleplaying System!
Simple! Versatile! Free!

Demons_eye
2008-04-05, 05:54 PM
Where would I find this at?

Collin152
2008-04-05, 06:00 PM
Where would I find this at?

Well, some go this way.
Some go that way.
As for me, myself, personally, I prefer the shortcut. (http://www.marvelrpg.net/)

Armoury99
2008-04-05, 06:01 PM
Long have I quested for a superhero setting and rules that realy suit me, so good luck.... :smallsmile:

Off the top of my head, I'd say your main options are:

Mutants & Masterminds - good for the d20 vibe and easy to get a handle on.

Godlike - it probably isn't what you're looking for unless you plan on fighting WWII with your capes. I'm also not a big fan of the system, but that's just personal preference.

Godsend Agenda comes with a nice setting and factions and a variable power level (but seems to work best at about the level you're quoting).

Silver Age Sentinels - uses the Tri-Stat system (like the new Tekumel) and has a big brother in the form of The Authority RPG, which is far more for the Supermen and Doctor Manhattan's than what you're after.

Necessary Evil from Savage Words, for a fast an loose system and the novel setting approach of having all the PCs be supervillains stepping up to the task when the world's heroes are wiped out.

Or you could go 'ye olde skool' and try the (original) Marvel Superheroes or DC Universe games. Both systems are, erm... somewhat eccentric (Marvel's superior in a pick-up-and-play way) but have their own charms. Lastly there's the old Games Workshop supers game, Golden Heroes, which is pretty primitive by today's standards (but also has its charm, and some mechanics for investigation/reputation)

Alternatively.... you could just adapt a system that's not strictly superheroes for your game. Nobilis is workable for (only) ridiculously powerful heroes, and D20 Modern could be adapted pretty easilly to a Batman/Doc Savage level game, etc etc

Farmer42
2008-04-05, 08:44 PM
I'm having a lot of fun in a HERO5e Champions game right now. Champion is the Super sourcebook for HERO, but you don't need any of the Champions books. If you go HERO, grab HERO Designer, too, as it will cut down on the math dramatically.

Thamir
2008-04-05, 10:26 PM
I gave up dnd in favour of mutants and masterminds, Its that good!

Cyclone231
2008-04-05, 11:55 PM
Hmmmm thanks so far.
and cyclone why man why!

Why what?

(for length ugh)

Nebo_
2008-04-06, 12:59 AM
Why what?

(for length ugh)

He means the game. For those of you who haven't yet won the game:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/anti_mind_virus.png (http://xkcd.com/391/)

Grynning
2008-04-06, 06:44 AM
Mutants and Masterminds is a good, well balanced game, and perfectly tailored for comic-book style play. We've been having a blast in our current campaign, I highly recommend it.

There is a Palladium game called Heroes Unlimited, and it was my first experience with super hero games. While I can't really recommend the system (it's inconsistent, sometimes confusing, and waaayyy unabalanced to the point of being horribly broken), you can probably find a used copy of the 2nd edition and a few of the supplements for not too much money at your FLGS. It can be a good springboard for ideas, at least, and I did have some fun with it.

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-06, 06:47 AM
Mutants and Masterminds sounds good to me.