PDA

View Full Version : Immortallity without being a lich?

Arakune
2008-04-05, 05:58 PM
There is any mean? I want for my NG wizard to attain immortality but I don't want to be an undead or do something unspeakable evil or trying to use leadership cheese to attain DvR 0.

And I don't want to be an Elan too, since my wiz is a human.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-05, 06:02 PM
Outsiders are also considered immortal. Try getting a template that changes your type to outsider. Apart from that it gets even harder.

Try this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=562479) thread and see if you find anything fancy.

mostlyharmful
2008-04-05, 06:02 PM
Be a half-fey, or take ten levels in the (sub-par) Elemental Savant, or Necropolitan (but I'll guess you don't want to be Undead in general). Try to get hold of a portrait of Dorian Grey (:smallsmile: ) or just ask your DM to houserule agelessness as within the bounds of a Wish. Use the Steal Life spell from BoVD that nicks a week of someone elses life for each attribute point drained. Or just move sticks to the Astral Plane.

Zincorium
2008-04-05, 06:04 PM
Generally, anything which changes you into some creature type that is immortal will do the trick.

If you aren't lawful (or can stop being lawful), Alienist is a creepy but really cool and not too shabby prc in complete Arcane which will get you the outsider type by level 15. Acolyte of the skin is the suckier, more evil version of it.

Green star adept, as much as it deserves the slag it got in the thread on it, does technically keep you from dying of old age. Renegade Mastermaker from Eberron is much better for the same purpose.

Edan
2008-04-05, 06:04 PM
The first thing that popped into my head is to use Wish...but we all know how good that can turn out. I mean, a backfired immortality wish is actually an example of how to deal with huge wishes. Potentially you could research an epic spell to do it, but actually reaching epic level would be challenging, then hitting the spellcraft DC to research it.

I can't think of anything by RAW, but if you have a lenient DM, perhaps your DM could work with you to create a custom solution. Like some extravagant ritual, divine intervention or some epic quest.

Green Bean
2008-04-05, 06:07 PM
Immortality? Try this. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/temporalStasis.htm) :smalltongue:

Parvum
2008-04-05, 06:08 PM
Become an Elan.

(Actually, it's an interesting idea to present to your DM. Elans are humans with great psionic potential trained to better harness it, right? In theory, you could work together to create some magic equivalent. It would be interesting, but maybe more work than you're looking for)

In a more general spectrum, find some way to become any of the ageless races. Pay for a few mind switches. See if your DM thinks Wish can change race.

Clone is an easy way to live forever, though you need constant upkeep and there is a danger that your clone might be killed near when you've aged to near death.

No undead? ...Deathless? Out of ideas.

puppyavenger
2008-04-05, 06:15 PM
1. learn genises (level 9 spell)
2. Learn Astral projection(level 9 spell)
3. Create a timeless plane
4. gate/plane shift there
5.. cast Astral projection
6. manifest on the material plane
7. ????
8.PROFIT

mostlyharmful
2008-04-05, 06:16 PM
Constructs, Outsiders, Undead, Fey, Elemental, Deathless. If you can change to one of these you're all good. If you can get the patronage of something very very powerful that should work to (Gods chosen don't age)

NEO|Phyte
2008-04-05, 07:02 PM
And I don't want to be an Elan too, since my wiz is a human.

Become a Warforged?

SilverClawShift
2008-04-05, 07:10 PM
Become a Warforged?

Don't warforged age like other creatures?

mostlyharmful
2008-04-05, 07:11 PM

They get up until Old age catagory, then its - all the way.

NEO|Phyte
2008-04-05, 07:12 PM

So do Elans. Its just that (to my knowledge) neither has a max age, so you'll live forever.

Nermy
2008-04-05, 07:20 PM
Take 10 levels of Green Star Adept.

Don't really.

The_Snark
2008-04-05, 07:22 PM
Warforged never go above middle-aged; their joints and the like do get a bit slower with age, but they never fully decompose. Elans, on the other hand, are not—as the rules are written—immortal at all, though their maximum age is 2,000 years. A bit of a contradiction between the fluff and the rules, there, and I usually ignore elan aging.

Killoren don't go above old age unless they want to, but there's no way to become one, unlike elans and warforged.

Also, note that native outsiders aren't necessarily immortal; planetouched age at the same rate as humans. You'd have to find a transitional class or template that didn't give the native subtype, or just ask your DM if you'd stop aging as a native outsider.

NEO|Phyte
2008-04-05, 07:28 PM
Elans, on the other hand, are not—as the rules are written—immortal at all, though their maximum age is 2,000 years. A bit of a contradiction between the fluff and the rules, there, and I usually ignore elan aging.

There was an Errata, I believe. I know d20srd.org shows them as having no max age.
:edit: A visit to wizards.com confirms, no max age for Elans.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-05, 07:39 PM
Warforged never go above middle-aged; their joints and the like do get a bit slower with age, but they never fully decompose. Elans, on the other hand, are not—as the rules are written—immortal at all, though their maximum age is 2,000 years. A bit of a contradiction between the fluff and the rules, there, and I usually ignore elan aging.
Check out the XPH errata. That was fixed. Elans have no maximum age.

The_Snark
2008-04-05, 07:46 PM
Glad to hear they fixed that. Always annoyed me.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-05, 07:51 PM
Glad to hear they fixed that. Always annoyed me.

What annoys me is that they take the aging penalties.

That makes no fluff sense at all.

puppyavenger
2008-04-05, 08:08 PM
How exactly do you become a warforged? And isthere a permanent possesion effect? if so become a bodyswitcher.

Tren
2008-04-05, 08:14 PM
Killoren don't go above old age unless they want to, but there's no way to become one, unlike elans and warforged.

Wait, does that imply there's a way for a human to become a warforged?

tyckspoon
2008-04-05, 08:17 PM
Wait, does that imply there's a way for a human to become a warforged?

Renegade Mastermaker (I think that's it; it's been mentioned a few times in recent threads) is a transformative PrC that turns you into one. I don't think there's any other officially printed way to just turn a human into a warforged like there is for becoming undead via Necropolitan.

DementedFellow
2008-04-05, 08:32 PM
If memory serves, there are about 3 PrCs in Frostburn that give you immortality at the end.

Randel
2008-04-05, 09:32 PM
I suppose you could create some kind of "living lich" involving an eldrich machine and the clone spell.

Create a big magic device, put your still-living body into a tube that preserves it in near stasis, have the machine create a clone body that your soul enters.

You now have a clone body that you can work with and if that gets killed then your soul returns to your original body instantly and you remain in sleep until the machine creates another clone body.

Maybe modify it so that its a four level prestige class that involves you adding spell effects into your body
1st level = no need to eat,
2nd level = ability to communicate telepathically, no need to breath
3rd level = ability to enter a trance and cast Project Image,
4th level = you can enter a deep sleep where you don't age and create a clone body that your soul enters. If this body is destroyed you simply return to your real one and create another. If your 'real' body is destroyed then you lose the four prestige class levels and are trapped in the new clone body.

holywhippet
2008-04-05, 09:38 PM
Start a religious cult dedicated to the worship of you. If you get enough worshippers you'll become a god.

AslanCross
2008-04-05, 09:46 PM
I suppose you could create some kind of "living lich" involving an eldrich machine and the clone spell.

Problem with the clone spell is that it does not make you truly immortal. It makes you unkillable, yes, but when it's your time, the spell fails.

In Forgotten Realms, there's the Chosen of Mystra template (which I loathe and despise) that gives a massive CON bonus (+10), among other things, including immunity to aging. It doesn't explicitly state immortality, but all of the Chosen in Forgotten Realms are well beyond 600 years of age. (Elminster is over a thousand.)

The Chosen of Bane template only gives immunity to aging's negative effects (you still get the INT, WIS and CHA bonuses), but you're still mortal and die of old age. (Which is strange, as Fzoul Chembryl, chosen of Bane, is over a hundred years old despite being human.)

I'm sure these can easily be reflavored for your particular setting, though IMO they're rather cheesy and are best on NPCs.

BardicDuelist
2008-04-05, 10:10 PM
Problem with the clone spell is that it does not make you truly immortal. It makes you unkillable, yes, but when it's your time, the spell fails.

In Forgotten Realms, there's the Chosen of Mystra template (which I loathe and despise) that gives a massive CON bonus (+10), among other things, including immunity to aging. It doesn't explicitly state immortality, but all of the Chosen in Forgotten Realms are well beyond 600 years of age. (Elminster is over a thousand.)

The Chosen of Bane template only gives immunity to aging's negative effects (you still get the INT, WIS and CHA bonuses), but you're still mortal and die of old age. (Which is strange, as Fzoul Chembryl, chosen of Bane, is over a hundred years old despite being human.)

I'm sure these can easily be reflavored for your particular setting, though IMO they're rather cheesy and are best on NPCs.

Where are these Chosen Templates?

Rayzin
2008-04-05, 10:22 PM
Start a religious cult dedicated to the worship of you. If you get enough worshippers you'll become a god.
Hmmm... meh. its good enough for me.

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-05, 10:58 PM
I think that one proposed way exploited the language in Reincarnate. Not sure of specifics, but I think it has to do with the way in which you become a young adult of the species you turn into.

Kalirren
2008-04-06, 01:30 AM
First, find a society that venerates saints and believes in the ability for people to be directly inspired by saints.

Then, find an important church somewhere within that society, and use silent stilled magic jar to keep your soul intact forever in a gemstone embedded in some architectural sculpture. One in a while, possess someone important and speak through their body.

You get immortality and influence at the cost of not having a (recognizeable) body most of the time. If you were more powerful, you might even be able to astral-project yourself in a useful fashion.

Cainen
2008-04-06, 01:33 AM
Get a crazy, powerful night hag from the Grey Waste to rip out your soul and keep your flesh animate. Sure, there's the part where you forget your memories every time you would normally get killed, but beggars can't be choosers.

Oh, and don't forget to say hi to the Blood War once you deal with the problems that causes.

Talic
2008-04-06, 01:50 AM
10 levels of elemental savant. Rather than turn into a lich or vampire, you can be a warm cheery fire elemental or a fluffy air elemental.

mabriss lethe
2008-04-06, 03:02 PM
I'm not certain about it, but it seems that none of the creatures with the regeneration quality have any sort of max age associated with them. It's possible that a lucky reincarnate spell/understanding DM could transform you into one of them.

how you'd work out the racial HD and level adjustments, is between you and the DM.

A possible way lies in the wording of the reincarnate spell:

From the Book of Cheese: Smoked Gouda 18:7

The magic of the spell creates an entirely new young adult body for the soul to inhabit from the natural elements at hand.

Have a druid toss your corpse into a conjured box piled of OgreTroll/ Ogre Mage bodies and then cast the spell on you. They'd be the natural elements closest at hand and insulated from other natural elements by a layer of distinctly unnatural (conjured) material. A DM might just give you a significant bonus to the reincarnate roll to hit that 100 needed to hit the "Other" category. You might want to discuss it with him first.

This endeth the sermon

*edited to reflect the fact that sometimes I type in fluent moron.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 03:08 PM
Ogres don't regenerate...

mabriss lethe
2008-04-06, 03:17 PM
sorry, was thinking troll.

mabriss lethe
2008-04-06, 03:22 PM
Double Post.

Weirdlet
2008-04-06, 04:04 PM
I *believe* there is something called either Incantifer or Incantatrix, where someone eventually becomes completely fueled and healed by arcane magic, not aging or dying, requiring no food or water or sleep. You need to heal by using arcane spells, not healing potions or anything else, but that seems like afair exchange to me.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 04:17 PM
I *believe* there is something called either Incantifer or Incantatrix, where someone eventually becomes completely fueled and healed by arcane magic, not aging or dying, requiring no food or water or sleep. You need to heal by using arcane spells, not healing potions or anything else, but that seems like afair exchange to me.

Where wold I find this leviathein of a prestiege class?

Weirdlet
2008-04-06, 04:31 PM
Incantifer- and you can find it in either DR339, Page 38, or the first two levels of it at about page 51 of the prestige class list on crystalkeep.

CthulhuM
2008-04-06, 05:04 PM
It should probably be noted that outsiders are not necessarily immortal, and that probably extends to types like elemental as well. Check the planar handbook - native outsiders like tieflings and aasimar all have max ages, and so do bauriaurs, which are full outsiders. Presumably creatures like celestials and fiends do not age, but simply becoming a vanilla outsider or gaining the elemental type probably doesn't cut it.

That still leaves construct and undead, though. There's also a 9th level spell from dragon magazine (I forget which one - it had a whole article on playing immortal characters) that gives someone else immortality. Convince some other good high level cleric or wizard to cast it on you and you should be set (offer them a trade, perhaps?).

HomocidalWizard
2008-04-06, 05:57 PM
I've been thinking about this a bit and I was thinking that if you used temporal stasis on a clone and later had someone dispel the magic so the body isn't aged from the date of casting, would it work?

RikuKupo
2008-04-06, 06:08 PM
Other than the methods already said (I 2nd the soul sucking spell from BoVD) try the mind switch power. Not sure how a wizard could use it, but it was worth mentioning.

tsuuga
2008-04-06, 10:06 PM
The Tome of Necromancy (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=632562) has a variety of prestige classes that grant immortality.

The Boneblade Reaper is kind of melee focused, but isn't remotely evil - just beat up death to come back to life.
Stranger with the Burning Eyes grants immortality through serial possession, which doesn't have to be evil depending on how you use it.
Death King does make you undead, but not any kind of monstrosity... just kinda angsty.
Heartless Mage is specifically for mages who want to be immortal without becoming a lich, but they sacrifice their emotions instead.

There's others that involve... evil undead bees and such to gain immortality.

Mewtarthio
2008-04-07, 12:01 AM
Your best bet is reincarnate. Whenever you get Venerable, commit suicide and have a druid bring you back in a new, youthful body.

You could also reach epic levels and take the epic feat that increases your lifespan.

Or you could sleep with the DM and find a fountain of youth or somesuch.

Or you could pledge yourself, body and soul, to Asmodeus, Lord of the Nine, in exchange for immortality. He's Lawful, so he'll probably not kill you directly, though once you've outlived your usefulness he'll exploit some sort of loophole and instead transform your life into a living hell so that you try to kill yourself only to find that you cannot die as per your own short-sighted contract and he will look upon you and taunt you throughout the centuries of your agony until your pain and hatred twists you into the most vile of all devils and you emerge from hell reborn and yet unbound to spread your taint and corruption among the mortals with whom you no longer have the capacity to empathize.
*gaspinhale*
But at least you'll be immortal.

sikyon
2008-04-07, 12:23 AM
Your best bet is reincarnate. Whenever you get Venerable, commit suicide and have a druid bring you back in a new, youthful body.

You can do it yourself with a trap of limited wish to replicate the spell.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-07, 02:49 AM
I agree that Reincarnate is the best option (you would still need to regain lost levels, but overall, that should only be a minor inconvenience at high levels). Another option could be to make a pact with a NG outsider who would allow you to become a Guardinal (or a similar NG Outsider) before you die: assuming your character doesn't mind becoming a furry while going out of his way to use his new-found immortality to help people, this method should work well, especially since he would get a lot of extra magical abilities with better stats (in theory).

AslanCross
2008-04-07, 04:07 AM
Where are these Chosen Templates?

Chosen of Mystra is in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Chosen of Bane is in Faiths and Pantheons, also an FR book.

Crazy Scot
2008-04-07, 04:16 AM
The only way that I know of to gain immortallity (without going undead, warforged or elan) would be the class Cloud Anchorite from Frostburn (p.52). It is a 10 level prestige class, and its class abilities don't combine with spellcasters very well, but the 10th level ability is that you have no maximum age. This would not change anything about you, except for a big hit to your spellcasting capabilities, but you would gain your immortallity as your character is now.

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-07, 09:58 AM
Immortality for a wizard is actually very simple. You need the following three arcane spells:

Embrace the Dark Chaos(FCI), Shun the Dark Chaos(FCI), and Steal Life(BoVD)

You find a victim/volunteer high enough level that you use Dark Chaos to grant Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest. On the next full moon, you spend all night using Steal Life on that person. Their Soulmeld will protect them from damage from your spell and under those conditions, the spell actually reverses your aging. As long as you keep this ritual up every other decade or so, you'll stay roughly the same age.

I don't have the spell text for Steal Life so I'm not sure if you even need to bind the Vest to a chakra, but if so that should be easy enough with the Open Greater Chakra (waist) feat.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-08, 01:46 AM
Another idea is to just ask your DM to homebrew an item or potion which grants immortality (the quest to get the item would benefit the entire party if you succeed).