PDA

View Full Version : Hosting problem solved/critique drawing!

Quxelopqr
2008-04-05, 09:57 PM
So I have discovered that I don't really like inkscape (or I just can't figure it out, even with tutorials) and don't have the money for illustrator, so I'm going to try and make my comic by hand. Anyone know a good place to host the images on? The comic will be OOTS-styleish, as much as I can do, so if I would post it here instead of a free hosting site, what's a good site to host on? Imageshack maybe?

Omega
2008-04-05, 10:09 PM
I was thinking Photobucket. :smallsmile:

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-05, 10:15 PM
I use photobucket, myself, but I'm no big hosting expert.

XenoTherapy
2008-04-05, 10:15 PM
^Seconded.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-06, 01:54 AM
I use photobucket, myself, but I'm no big hosting expert.

Thirded.
(May I note that Mr. Saturn and Dr. Bath (two very very good artists) also use it. Well I'm sure Dr. Bath uses it, Mr. Saturn also I think)

Nameless
2008-04-06, 02:18 AM
Photobucket or image shack.

Photobucket is eisier to use, however if your image is too big, it shrinks it down.

I see you're one of the few who has realised the danger of useing Inkscape and it's dark powers, welcome to the light side. :smallsmile:

Bayar
2008-04-06, 03:39 AM
Inageshack has a habbit of turning your pictures into thumbnails (links that lead to imageshack). Use Photobucket.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-06, 03:44 AM
Photobucket is eisier to use, however if your image is too big, it shrinks it down.

Hmm, I didnt realise that, I shall have to check Image shack...

I see you're one of the few who has realised the danger of useing Inkscape and it's dark powers, welcome to the light side. :smallsmile:

I have realised the dangers. Yet I still play with it, becouse I love danger:smallbiggrin:

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-04-06, 09:53 AM
Photobucket's image-shrinking has never really been a problem for me; if the image is too tall, just break the image into halves and post them separately. If you do it right,nobody will even notice.

Sneak
2008-04-06, 10:52 AM
Inageshack has a habbit of turning your pictures into thumbnails (links that lead to imageshack). Use Photobucket.

Um, well, not really. That's only if you use the wrong link it gives you when you upload your picture. The link to the actual image is the one that says 'Direct Link.'

Anyway, I have a photobucket, but I still tend to use imageshack much more. It's just easier, in my opinion. However, PhotoB does make you a nice little gallery whenever you upload anything.

Really, it doesn't matter much. It's just a matter of personal opinion.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-06, 08:15 PM
Photobucket sounds good to me, maybe a little later on I'll post up a character from the comic I'm making to test if it worked.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-11, 08:03 PM
[spoiler]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/Quxelopqr/take2.jpg[spoiler]

What do you guys think? They're two of the main characters in my comic (which has yet to be posted anywhere, I'm not sure if it would work here since it's different). I think it's like a hand drawn version of OOTS style, and since Inkscape makes the baby Jesus cry, I like this better. By the way, this is still a bit rough, I'll probably outline it in black pen, figure out resizing better (this should be smaller, the characters themselves are about 3cm tall in the original drawing) and put some more detail into it in a final version.

Trazoi
2008-04-11, 08:42 PM
I like the heads - it's a simple style that works well and has character. You might want to experiment with using ovals instead of circles as the basic shapes; I don't know if the bulge on the right figure's face was intentional, but it's a good way to suggest a cheek.

I'm not that sure about the stick thin arms, hands and legs. It works in OotS because it's an extremely abstract style with crisp vector graphics, but in pencil with all those detailed clothes it's hard to see where the limbs are, especially the hands. Maybe experiment with tube/sausage-shaped limbs and other shapes for the hands? You can get some good expression out of ovals for hands too.

I'm also not that convinced on the curves at the bottom of the torso. I know that's how it's done in OotS but it doesn't look like it meshed with your pencilled style.

Finally, do you need to draw your figures only 3 cm small? Most cartooning is done at a much larger scale than the final product; you can draw a panel on a A4 sheet of paper and shrink it down to the final size. That way any little bumps in your drawing will disappear once you do the shrinking process.

P.S. Baby Jesus was born quite a while ago, so I think he grew up using MacPaint.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-11, 08:54 PM
You're right, the arms are hard to see, but mostly thats because they're at the character's sides. I imagine it'd be easier to see if they were using them (perhaps I shall put up another picture). The sizes I'm not sure about, this was just the size they came out when I first tried, doodling in the margins of my paper :smalltongue: .

Bayar
2008-04-12, 04:26 AM
Heh, you can make it more oots'y even when drawing by hand. Just lose the white circle of the eyes.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-12, 12:24 PM
I tried without the white circles and they looked kind of evil and scary. I'll likely be using that for any undead I draw. Here's another picture, this time I made the arms more tube like. (oh, and the little thing is supposed to be a kobold) http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/Quxelopqr/Untitled.jpg

Bayar
2008-04-13, 11:07 AM
Try to practise the poses more. It looks weird.