PDA

View Full Version : Best way to bost spell DC's

kentma57
2008-04-06, 09:08 AM
I am playing a transmuter and I was wondering what the best way to bost the DC's on his spell would be? (I realy like baleful polymorph)

UserClone
2008-04-06, 09:09 AM
The obvious answer is Spell Focus/Greater SF. Spell Versatility, an alternate class feature out of Unearthed Arcana, lets you choose spells that you know and forever treat them as being Transmutation spells, thus giving you the aforementioned bonus save DC.

kentma57
2008-04-06, 09:16 AM
The obvious answer is Spell Focus/Greater SF.

Have those...

UserClone
2008-04-06, 09:17 AM
You could always try being a Fatespinner from CArc.

Thrawn183
2008-04-06, 09:23 AM
Joke Post: Enervation.

Awetugiw
2008-04-06, 09:25 AM
Well, the best way to boost your DC's is usually to just get a higher casting ability. Already have a +6 item for that? Well, the tomes aren't that bad for their cost, especially the higher ones, since they scale linearly in cost in stead of the usual quadratically. (Note: I'm not saying they're exactly bargains either)

Heighten spell is also occasionally useful, but you'll probably just want to switch to a higher level spell.

Smiley_
2008-04-06, 11:31 AM
Vow of Nonviolence will increase your baleful polymorph DC by 4, I think.

Once, in a game I was playing, the diciple of peace turned a slaugterking (BoVD monster) into a sloth...except it made it's will save.

Now we had a very nasty sloth with supernatural powers to deal with!

SadisticFishing
2008-04-06, 11:57 AM
Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus, high int/cha/wis (depending)...

After that, if you started with 18 and scale it as fast as you can, things should very rarely make their saves unless they're PC's made specifically to deal with you. Enervation is actually a rather decent idea, as would be things like Fear to lower people's saves, which is just as effective as raising your own...

By the way, there are tons of good Transmutation spells for this, so good choice. Disintegrate springs to mind though, so Vow of Nonviolence isn't worth it.

valadil
2008-04-06, 04:14 PM
Spellcasting Prodigy gives an effective +2 to your casting stat for the purposes of spells. Only available at level 1 though. All my casters take it.

Reinboom
2008-04-06, 04:54 PM
Spellcasting Prodigy gives an effective +2 to your casting stat for the purposes of spells. Only available at level 1 though. All my casters take it.

Spellcasting Prodigy only benefits gaining bonus spells.

Douglas
2008-04-06, 05:00 PM
Spellcasting Prodigy only benefits gaining bonus spells.
Unless you're playing in 3.0 or Neverwinter Nights 2. The original version in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting does increase save DCs. The updated version in Players' Guide to Faerun does not.