PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Caster Level

Benejeseret
2008-04-06, 11:39 AM
Similar to the other caster level boost thread out there but looking for what boosts an artificer specifically.

Base class adds a +2 CL for crafting.

Orange Ioun Stone adds +1 CL overall (should stack on above)

Feats would be OK but items would be better. Looking for general CL increases and not specific for a spell.

Allows crafting of high level items earlier

Bene

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-06, 11:50 AM
Actually, if I recall correctly, artificers already HAVE a means of making high level items. My understanding of it was that artificers roll a Use Magical Device check to PRETEND they're a high level half-orc wizard who only has one hand for purposes of item creation. DC is 20+caster level.

So, you want to make a CL 16 item? Beat a 36.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-06, 11:59 AM
1) UMD checks determine items.

2) CL entries are not pre-reqs. See the FAQ/Custom Service entries.

Benejeseret
2008-04-06, 12:03 PM
That's not how I read it:

Paragraph 3 of Eberron Campaign Setting -> Artificer -> Item Creation:

"For the purpose of meeting item prerequisites [for crafting], an artificer's effective caster level equals his artificer's level +2."

So no, an artificer cannot create a lvl16 prereq caster item until lvl 14 usually. Once he is lvl14 however he must beat a UMD roll of 36 to craft it, but only crafts it at lvl14 powerwise.

This is why an artificer cannot make scroll of fireball until lvl3. Crafts the lvl5 prereq scroll but crafts it at lvl3 power (3d6). They give that example specifically.

Thus the desire for Orange Ioun Stones or other ways to boost caster lvl to artificer class+2+N where N equals the CL boost from items like the ioun.