PDA

View Full Version : Help with build refining.

Adumbration
2008-04-06, 12:15 PM
Within a few weeks - we shall see - I will play in a PbP game here in the forums. In Krimm's Nation of the Dead, to be exact. See here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76227)

Now, I'm still fairly a newbie in high level games, and this is my first PbP game. I'd like to have some opinions on my character and it's build - plus, I am still to choose two feats and have 37 000 gps to spend.

See my character here:
Gale Stormdancer. (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=10955)

So far I've mostly gone with flavor, choosing spells that he would choose and items he would be likely to have. But now I could use some opinions on the versatility and utility of this character. Is he any good at high level battles? Will the battle just go "Chain lightning" "Made my save." "Damn." or what?

I'm not really worried about my character dying - he probably mostly flies in a storm, protected by the Stormcaster class features, and healed and shielded by his Divine Companion (alternate class feature from Complete Champion).

Also, should I get Practised Spellcaster feat too? I know, I already have CL of 16 on every spell (Ioun stone + Ring of Arcane Might), and CL of 18 with spells with descriptor of air, electricity, sonic and water. Still, could I use that +1 to CL (due to losing 1 caster level from Stormcaster?)?

Anyway, I would appreciate opinions on my humble character.

Solo
2008-04-06, 12:18 PM
He won't be as good as a sorcerer with full caster levels and a good feat selection, I can say that much.

Adumbration
2008-04-06, 12:25 PM
I know, I know. My attitude towards picking feats is mostly "Do I really have to?" I can never think of any properly useful feats. :smallwink:

Dode
2008-04-06, 12:35 PM
Go get Energy Substitution (Electricity) so all of your blasts can take advantage of the bonus sonic damage, caster level and secondary stun effect of being a Stormcaster using electricity. Then get Born of the Three Thunders so all your blasts do an additional secondary stun effect and a reflex save to knock them prone too.

Get the Rapid Metamagic alt. class feature that swaps your familiar so you can use metamagic as a standard action. Replace Track and Eschew Materials and Spell Focus (Evocation) so your super-stunning abilities are that much better.

Sir Giacomo
2008-04-06, 12:38 PM
Hmmm...themed duelist build - I like it...(in particular the underpants of endure elements):smallsmile:
from my dueling experiences I'd suggest the following:

- get initiative higher. Or, if you get buffing round(s), some more defensive buffs (although mirror image is already quite strong- watch out for true seeing, though)
- your "ideal" setup appears to be some sort of stormy area with lightning hitting everywhere, including your opponent, while you are flying invisibly, largely protected from arrows from the wind (if that wind is strong enough). There is some feat or spell out there which lets you change energy types- good for any lightning protected opponents (never only bet on one thing, and disintegrate is a quite a weak offensive spell for its level)
- solid fog would be better than stoneskin (adamantine weapons are quite frequent in duel setups)
- acutally your direct damage approach may not be that bad - since thanks to logic ninja magic hype, hadly anyone puts anything into reflex saves.
- you'll need to get faster - possibly with some fly spell effect item of your own (overland flight is too slow at these kind of levels in duels). Your improved invisbiltiy really kicks in when you can keep outside the see invisibility range of 120ft, while casting lightning bolts at a long range.
- btw, you'll also need some method to locate the enemy. Any rogue hiding or opponent being invisible as well will greatly reduce any chance of a non-huge-area effect spell to affect anything.

- Giacomo

- Giacomo

Adumbration
2008-04-06, 12:57 PM
Go get Energy Substitution (Electricity) so all of your blasts can take advantage of the bonus sonic damage, caster level and secondary stun effect of being a Stormcaster using electricity. Then get Born of the Three Thunders so all your blasts do an additional secondary stun effect and a reflex save to knock them prone too.

Get the Rapid Metamagic alt. class feature that swaps your familiar so you can use metamagic as a standard action. Replace Track and Eschew Materials and Spell Focus (Evocation) so your super-stunning abilities are that much better.

Jeah, Energy substitution sounds good, probably going for that, but from what book is the Born of Three Thunders from? Spell focus (Evocation) seems good as well - I can take it as the other unused feat, or in place of Eschew Materials - but I need Track for roleplaying reasons.

But, I really need the Divine Companion, since it's practically my only source of healing - converting spell levels to d6s of healing. It can also give me as swift action +16 deflection bonus to armor and as much to saves, if I've sacrificed enough spell levels - 16 to be exact.

Hmmm...themed duelist build - I like it...(in particular the underpants of endure elements)
from my dueling experiences I'd suggest the following:

I think you've misunderstood something, since from what I've heard the NoTD game will be pretty heavy on roleplaying, but thanks for the suggestions anyway. :smallsmile:

Dode
2008-04-06, 12:59 PM
Born of Three Thunders is in Complete Arcane along with Energy Substitution.

But yeah, Divine Companion sounds pretty sweet.

Adumbration
2008-04-06, 01:10 PM
But yeah, Divine Companion sounds pretty sweet.

Jeah, the only downside of it is that it can hold only your caster level worth of spell levels, and that you actually have to cast the spells at it. Still, with sorceror's many spells/day, it's great. The stored spell-levels also only last for the day, but it's only fair.

There's also the plus-side that there isn't anything that can damage them. Invisible, untangible, exists outside reality, etc.

mostlyharmful
2008-04-06, 02:22 PM
I'd use one of those feat slots to grab a bloodline feat, maybe Draconic or Air related to fit your build idea, just to add a bit more spells known. That is if you haven't already deceided on the slots from the above posters ideas. Also, a few scrolls of utility go a loooong way with a sorc.

Adumbration
2008-04-07, 12:42 PM
All right, I've made some improvements. Any more suggestions?

The character. (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=10955)

TempusCCK
2008-04-07, 02:53 PM
I'd keep disintegrate, it's a Fort target for 30D6 damage at your level and it WILL WORK AGAINST UNDEAD.

Fort target against undead = win.