PDA

View Full Version : New monster: Rage spirit

Fsi-Dib
2008-04-06, 01:50 PM
Right, some time ago I used this monster in a campaign of mine and it proved to be unique and interesting enough to be used in the future as well. Since I doubt I'll use it again, you may use it for whatever purpose you might think of. Furthermore, comments are always welcome. If this monster proves to be very original and people like it, I consider making more things like this.

This red-hued creature, slim yet powerful stands as tall as a building, its skin burning with the rage it burns within itself, a thick red smoke rising from it. The eyes emit the sense of absolute and everlasting hatred, shine with the brightest red, and its claws sharper than a keen blade.

Rage Spirit CR 6
Large Outsider (Native)
Hp: 10d8+20 (65)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 ft.
Armor Class: 20, touch 13, flat-footed 14, flat-footed
touch 7
(+2 dex, -1 size, -2 rage, +7 natural, +4 deflection)
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +10
BAB: +10 Grapple: +20
Attack:
Melee, claw +16 melee (2d6+6)
Full attack melee, 2 claws +16 (2d6+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
SQ: DR 5/cold iron, immune to fear effects, fire immunity, vurnerability to cold, rage aura 10 ft. (DC 18 Will), rage, blind, blindsight 120 ft.
Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Weapons, Destructive Rage, Blind-Fight, Iron Will
Abilities: STR 22, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 8, CHA 16
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Skills: Balance +15, Hide +15, Intimidate +16, Jump +23, Move Silently +15, Listen +12, Sense Motive +12, Spot +12, Tumble +15
Organisation: Solitary
Environment: Any (mainly urban)
Advancement: 11-13 HD (Large), 14-18 HD (Huge) 19+ (Gargantuan)

Rage aura (Ex): Not seen by a naked eye, the rage spirit is surrounded by a field of pure hatred. Any sentient being (has INT score) who gets within 10 feet of the rage spirit must success a DC 18 Will save (Charisma-based), or be enraged as per rage described in PHB. The effect is immidiate, and all spellcasting and such cease. The effect lasts for 1d4 rounds after leaving the sphere of influence. A new save must be thrown at the beginning of each turn.
Rage (Ex): An everlasting rage is constantly overwhelming this spirit. A calm emotions spell will suppress the effects of rage and rage aura until the rage spirit's next turn.

The CR is based on experience. I ran this against a group of five PCs, all being level 5. They managed to destroy this without losing a member of their party. It is especially deadly to spellcasters, as they lose their ability to cast spells and the rage practically forces them to attack the spirit with physical force. This creature has no good way of dealing with flying creatures.

Tactics: The rage spirit tends to enjoy urban environments, where its rage can be unleashed with full destructive power. It loves to smash buildings into rubble, to tear the flesh off from all living beings. It's also 'blind with rage' , and doesn't make huge decisions with "who to attack next".

Fsi-Dib
2008-04-08, 10:08 AM
No comments. I feel obliged to bump this. Also, I added advancement, environment and organisation.