PDA

View Full Version : Plane of Shadow?

...Eh?
2008-04-06, 02:17 PM
I was messing around with a few character concepts in my head for a game, and I was wondering, what book would provide me with the most information on the Plane of Shadow? And also, what are some classes that deal with the plane, other than the shadowdancer and the really awful class from the Tome of Magic?

dman11235
2008-04-06, 02:22 PM
Try the Planar Handbook.

And as for classes: Shadowdancer, Beguiler, wizard (illusionist), and there has to be more but I'm blanking right now.

senrath
2008-04-06, 02:43 PM
Technically any class that either has arcane casting or the ability to use Shadow Walk as an SLA can interact with the Plane of Shadow.

Jimp
2008-04-06, 04:07 PM
The Manual of the Planes has plenty of info on it. It's a 3.0e book but the vast majority of it is fluff and what little crunch there is has been errata'd up to 3.5.

dman11235
2008-04-06, 04:21 PM
Hey Jimp, guess what the Planar Handbook is?

SadisticFishing
2008-04-06, 05:09 PM
The Tome of Magic actually has quite a decent bit on it, including several classes based purely in it.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 05:12 PM
The Tome of Magic actually has quite a decent bit on it, including several classes based purely in it.

Ummm...

other than the shadowdancer and the really awful class from the Tome of Magic?

I think he knows.

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-06, 06:09 PM
Hm...you seem confused the Truenamer has nothing to do with the Plane of Shadow. The Shadowcaster, however, is a great class with two little fixes (bump BAB up to 3/4 and make all casting per encounter) and its golden. Other than that, look into Realms of Chaos's Project Shadow on the boards here, he has tons of stuff homebrewed for a Plane of Shadow-based game.

Edit: Descent of Shadows: Project Shadow Returns (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74519)

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-06, 06:34 PM

The two books cover a lot of different things, though. (Does the MoP even describe each individual plane in detail like the PlH does? I don't have mine around, and never used it much.)

Jimp
2008-04-06, 07:06 PM

The Planar Handbook is largely intended as a PC resource with options for characters who would be plane travelling and other tidbits. Manual of the Planes is largely intended for DMs as it has much more on the fluff of areas, plot hooks and cosmology building outlines/advice. There is some overlap, such as both offering prestige classes and spells, but otherwise they are pretty different.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-06, 07:10 PM
"what book would provide me with the most information on the Plane of Shadow?"

The Tome of Magic. The Shadowcaster requires.. a house rule to fix (give it Eldritch Blast, call it Shadow Blast or something cheesy), and some of the other classes in there are decent - but mostly, there's fluff.

...Eh?
2008-04-06, 07:15 PM
The two books cover a lot of different things, though. (Does the MoP even describe each individual plane in detail like the PlH does? I don't have mine around, and never used it much.)

After reading the PlH cover to cover- or at least skiming it for information on the Plane of Shadow while stopping to read the more intersting bits cover to cover- I know nothing about the Plane of Shadow expect that it exists entirely in black and white, coexists with the material plane, and that it is labeled a "transition plane." Maybe MoP has a good description.

Tataraus, thanks for the Shadowdancer idea. I'll probably read that link later, but I kind of dislike using other people's homebrewed settings.

EDIT: For anyone reading this topic who is also interested, I found a shiny. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm#darknessDomain)

dman11235
2008-04-06, 07:24 PM
Well, that's what I get for going on multiple month old memory.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 07:27 PM
I think they intentionally don't tell us anything about the plane.
Too bad, it's my favorite one.

leperkhaun
2008-04-07, 03:36 AM
Not a class or anything, but FR has a shade template for humans that have spent alot of time on the plane.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-07, 04:27 AM
Not a class or anything, but FR has a shade template for humans that have spent alot of time on the plane.

Actually, shades are created out of Shadovar (citizens of the Citadel of Shade) who have proven themselves over and over; high-level agents of Shade imbued with some king of Shadow-magic.

And ...Eh?, I got them the wrong way around. MoP (3.0) has full plane descriptions, PlH has the ruining of Planescape. MoP has the Plane of Shadows on pages 59 to 64, and the description is pretty complete (covering traits, Shadow Links, inhabitants, movement and combat rules, features like Dark Mirages, Darklands, Shadow Quakes, and the Shining Citadel).