PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wielding Bows

GrassyGnoll
2008-04-06, 02:39 PM
Yes, it sounds silly, but for the BBEG Thri-keen mounted archer I'm rolling up it fits perfectly. What are the rules on wielding two-handed ranged weapons? I fully expect this thread to devolve into homebrewing of bow-chucks, but could I get an answer first?

Edit: While I'm at it what make good mounts for thri-keen and fit in with the whole bug motif and Dark Sun setting?

Dode
2008-04-06, 02:44 PM
If wielding crossbows in each hand as described by the SRD is any indication, it would be like wielding any other TWFing. In this case it would be a -4 to each bow if you took the Multiweapon Attack feat since they're not light weapons.

dman11235
2008-04-06, 02:46 PM
I made these bow chucks this one time for just such an occasion! They're made of uranium katanas!

But seriously, check the Multi-Weapon Fighting feat (TKs can't take TWF). I believe that they can in fact use two bows at the same time, same principle as a halfling wielding two hand crossbows.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 02:46 PM
Bow-Chucks?
That's silly.
Just shoot Arrow-Chucks.

BlackStaticWolf
2008-04-06, 02:48 PM
Bow-Chucks?
That's silly.
Just shoot Arrow-Chucks.

Why not just go the extra mile and shoot arrow-chucks using bow-chucks?

Collin152
2008-04-06, 02:51 PM
Why not just go the extra mile and shoot arrow-chucks using bow-chucks?

No DM would allow that if you took enough of the Archery feats.

Deth Muncher
2008-04-06, 02:55 PM
Man, sword-chucks are way better...

Cough...

Anyway. As to Dual-Wielding Bows? Craziness, but it should definately work. An interesting concept to be logged away for further use...yes...hm....

GrassyGnoll
2008-04-06, 02:57 PM
Bow-Chucks?
That's silly.
Just shoot Arrow-Chucks.

Wait a minute, that is GENIUS! If he shot two arrows tethered by a razor wire at two elf mooks, there'd be a 1 dimensional plane of wiry death between the two.

1d6 damage in a cone shape between targets if both attacks are successful?

Thank you kindly folks, a -4 penalty on both it is.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 03:04 PM
Wait a minute, that is GENIUS! If he shot two arrows tethered by a razor wire at two elf mooks, there'd be a 1 dimensional plane of wiry death between the two.

Remember, I get 10 gold each time it's shot.
Per arrow, mind you.

UglyPanda
2008-04-06, 03:14 PM
There is precedent for this, the gythka from XPH, a double weapon whose description explicitly says that Thrikreen can use two at a time. For bug mounts, I don't know, monstrous scorpions (Technically arachnids)? They live in the desert and have a bunch of legs, so it might fit.

Sounds a bit like the trap bolts from Bioshock. If I remember correctly, once fired, they set up electrified wire traps. Would you kindly give me 20 gp for that information?

Admiral Squish
2008-04-06, 03:30 PM
Oh, god... Quadruple-wielding light crossbows, rapid reload, rapidshot... Ghost reload on all of them... That is possibly among the cheesiest ideas I've ever heard.

GrassyGnoll
2008-04-06, 03:30 PM
There is precedent for this, the gythka from XPH, a double weapon whose description explicitly says that Thrikreen can use two at a time. For bug mounts, I don't know, monstrous scorpions (Technically arachnids)? They live in the desert and have a bunch of legs, so it might fit.

Sounds a bit like the trap bolts from Bioshock. If I remember correctly, once fired, they set up electrified wire traps. Would you kindly give me 20 gp for that information?

No, but I'll thank you for the scorpion suggestion. Also, Reflex save for half on the wire bit while I'm at it.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-06, 03:39 PM
If you shapechange into an Arrow Demon (you'll have to be an outsider) then you can dual-wield bows, one size larger than you to boot.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-06, 03:42 PM
If you shapechange into an Arrow Demon (you'll have to be an outsider) then you can dual-wield bows, one size larger than you to boot.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 03:53 PM
I have an idea. Hear me out:
Thri-Keen-Chucks.

dman11235
2008-04-06, 03:59 PM
Terrasque-chucks.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 04:03 PM
Terrasque-chucks.

Hey, lash them together, I'll find somebody strong enough.
Assuming you can find more than one.

Zocelot
2008-04-06, 04:07 PM
Tarrasque-chucks dual wielding bow-chucks that shoot arrow-chucks!

Eldariel
2008-04-06, 04:15 PM

If you use Polymorph, might as well go the extra mile and use Greater Mighty Wallop on all of them to have a bunch of Colossal+ Bows.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 04:19 PM
Tarrasque-chucks dual wielding bow-chucks that shoot arrow-chucks!

Tarrasque-Chucks dual wielding Thri-keen-Chucks dual wielding Bow-Chucks shooting spell-storing arrow-chucks.

dman11235
2008-04-06, 04:25 PM
First off, Eldariel, GMW does not work that way. It makes a bludgeoning melee weapon deal more damage, it does not increase the size. Secondly, here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=826384). Near the end, but gems show up throughout. Elminster-chucks, Terrasque-chucks, even Hecatonchieres-chucks. Get a Hecatonchieres to wield only Hecatonchieres-chucks, and each of them to wield Terrasque-chucks.

Iethloc
2008-04-06, 04:36 PM
No, it should be Tarrasque-chucks wielding Thri-keen-chucks quadruple wielding light crossbow-chucks (with ghost reload and all that) shooting spell-chuck-storing arrow-chucks...all connected with +5 vorpal razor wiring.

...and all wielded by a Titan.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 05:00 PM
No, it should be Tarrasque-chucks wielding Thri-keen-chucks quadruple wielding light crossbow-chucks (with ghost reload and all that) shooting spell-chuck-storing arrow-chucks...all connected with +5 vorpal razor wiring.

...and all wielded by a Titan.

I wield the Titan.

Tam_OConnor
2008-04-06, 05:01 PM
And the titan is being moved by a man standing on the moon with a really long lever.... (Or Bald Mountain, whatever).

I believe there was a elven bow in arms and equipment that let you nock an extra arrow, but that was only due to another string, so you could theoretically set up a manyshot on every string. So, 4 bowstrings, each with 2 arrows, means ...way too many arrows in the air at once.

And if you graft two arms onto your mount, and use leadership to get a halfling riding piggyback on you, that's another eight arrows...and if all the bows have the splitting ability, merciful heavens, this is madness!

Edited for ninjas. Sorta.

Collin152
2008-04-06, 05:02 PM
And the titan is being moved by a man standing on the moon with a really long lever.... (Or Bald Mountain, whatever).

Give me a platform, and I shall move the earth!

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-06, 05:12 PM
Just be glad no one is mentioning Norris-Chucks!

Collin152
2008-04-06, 05:14 PM
Just be glad no one is mentioning Norris-Chucks!

It's too dangerous to dare conceive. Chuck Norris is no man's tool, and even he cannot be in the same place thrice.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-06, 05:59 PM
Tarrasque-Chucks dual wielding Thri-keen-Chucks dual wielding Bow-Chucks shooting spell-storing arrow-chucks.

What about psicrystal cascade-chucks for fractal goodness?

*y'know, when the CO board realised that psicrystals could take feats, and each one with 2+ feats could have its own psicrystal, ad infinitum

EDIT: After reading the linked thread, I'm inspired. Expect shoops.