PDA

View Full Version : what should i play

nuttyninja
2008-04-06, 02:49 PM
my friend is going to be running a 9th level campagin set in eberron. all i know is that our characters work for the silver flame, and that my allies all want to play stealthy characters.
i dont know what i will play yet, i normally play a monk or rogue but im looking at the following:
6'2 human fighter who thinks he is a dwarf
totemist (i dont use my incarnium book often enough)
druid (pure awsomeness)
rogue (just to stick with the stealthy idea)

just wanted to hear peoples views and ideas

senrath
2008-04-06, 02:53 PM
Do a Beguiler (PHB II). Stealthy spellcaster!

The White Knight
2008-04-06, 03:05 PM
I'll add my vote for the Beguiler. I played one for the first time in a game a couple of weeks ago, and it was the most fun I've had in a game in a long time.

UserClone
2008-04-06, 03:28 PM
Another vote for Beguiler, with a nod to Dungeonscape's Factotum.

Gorbash
2008-04-06, 03:54 PM
my friend is going to be running a 9th level campagin set in eberron. all i know is that our characters work for the silver flame, and that my allies all want to play stealthy characters.
i dont know what i will play yet, i normally play a monk or rogue but im looking at the following:
6'2 human fighter who thinks he is a dwarf
totemist (i dont use my incarnium book often enough)
druid (pure awsomeness)
rogue (just to stick with the stealthy idea)

just wanted to hear peoples views and ideas

Because Eberron is a very specific setting (the coolest), I would suggest you take advantage of its awesome races and classes. Forget the beguiler you can play that one in any other campaign. Play a Shifter Ranger, or Warforged ANYTHING or a Changeling etc etc...

Kol Korran
2008-04-06, 04:18 PM
that;s realy, realy not much info to go on. are you looking for the most efficient thing? are you looking for something who is interesting to roleplay? do you wish to incorporate yourself into the theme of the campaign, or be sort of an outsider?
what is the theme of the campaign anyway? or the starting situation? "workign for the silver flame" can mean so many different things!

i tend far more towards rolepalyign aspects when conjuring characters, so i'll refer to that:

1) silver flame almost begets Paladin/ Cleric/ divine soul. some of the books (ECS, five nations, faiths if eberron to name a few) have specific PrC for silver flame followers. they also have some nice domains...

2) there are plenty of ways to play a silver flame employee. some questions: are you a believer or not? if yes, how devout are you? how "miko" are you in your approach to right or wrong? (many people label silver flamists as pure zealots. and many are not...) do you belong to any of the orders? if you're not a believer- why do you work for the church? did they save you/ your family? do they just pay you well?
(side note: though the church does employ "stealthy" beings, it is the organization who relies on them the least... with strong divinations of their clerics, paladins and more, not to mention the brutally honest code of conduct, stealth is rare)

3) as to the options you mentioned:
- tall human thinking he's a dwarf: Carrot from the discworld? if for somereason what i just said doesn't sounds familiar, i suggest you look it up. could be a great help. and again questions: does he have a rationalization? was it due that he was raised so, or perhaps brain damaged, or a suggestion that didn't wear off? or is it someone who realy, realy wants to be a dwarf? (trying bad accents, complaining about hights, wishing to go back to the Mror "mother land", assured at his ability to dodge giants and such). there could be much to do here, and it needen't be a farce (unless that's your intention..)

- totemist: i have very few books, don't know what this is. though it sounds like some sort of a "barbaric" religion to me. if so you'll need to work it out how youcame to work with the silver flame.

- druid: somewhat the same, but less so. there have been cases of druids and silverflamists working together. some of the believers consider the phoenix as nature's representation of the silver flame (silver phoenix, sort of), and there have been druids devoted to the idea of the cleansing flames, from which comes rebirth and renewel, attached to the church.

- rogue: got nothing much to say about it that i haven't allready.

if you give us more info, we might be able to help more. hope this has allready.

Glyde
2008-04-06, 05:25 PM
Play a Warforged Cleric whose divine focus is used by a light cast on a wall or into the sky - bat man style.

Everyone's being all stealthy, then BAM, holy symbol on the wall. "IN THE NAME OF _____! I CAST _____"

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-06, 08:45 PM
Because Eberron is a very specific setting (the coolest), I would suggest you take advantage of its awesome races and classes. Forget the beguiler you can play that one in any other campaign. Play a Shifter Ranger, or Warforged ANYTHING or a Changeling etc etc...
He could try to get the best of both worlds and play a Changeling Beguiler.

Or a Changeling Rogue/Beguiler with the Changeling Rogue substitution levels from Races of Eberron.

F'rinstance.

Chronos
2008-04-06, 08:58 PM
If you're level 9, then some prestige classes are starting to become available, too. So I suggest that if you do build a changeling rogue or factotum, you take him/her/neither/both into Chameleon.

FlyMolo
2008-04-06, 09:17 PM
He could try to get the best of both worlds and play a Changeling Beguiler.

Or a Changeling Rogue/Beguiler with the Changeling Rogue substitution levels from Races of Eberron.

F'rinstance.

Now, this sounds like fun. However, do not ever play rangers. They're like fighters, but with their bonus feats already decided, and I hate favored enemy. Go druid.

Warforged druid? Going into Warshaper?! *hums transformers theme song* "More than meets the eye..." Sorry, what?

Devils_Advocate
2008-04-07, 05:24 PM
However, do not ever play rangers. They're like fighters, but with their bonus feats already decided, and I hate favored enemy.
There's nothing inherently wrong with the Ranger's combat styles and favored enemy bonuses. Admittedly, the class is a bit specific in what it does, but that's true of a lot of classes. Someone can legitimately like what it does, and play a Ranger on that basis.

You can legitimately hate it, too, of course, but it strikes me as rather... inappropriate to tell people not to play a class based on your personal dislike of it. I should think that, rather, you should avoid playing a class that you dislike, and other people should avoid playing classes that they dislike. Doesn't that make more sense?

FlyMolo
2008-04-07, 05:36 PM
You can legitimately hate it, too, of course, but it strikes me as rather... inappropriate to tell people not to play a class based on your personal dislike of it. I should think that, rather, you should avoid playing a class that you dislike, and other people should avoid playing classes that they dislike. Doesn't that make more sense?
Eek, the voice of reason. It burns, it burns.

Just my two copper pieces. As for classes that are made of win, and don't get nearly enough love? Warlock, Those dragon-themed warlocks (Dragon Shaman? No.. Dragon Initiate? something...) Psions, Psychic Warrior, Divine Minds(they sound cool. What can I say?), , and I've heard good things about Beguiler, Psychic Rogue, Factotum, etc.

As for PrCs, try out anything in the Draconomicon or Dragon Magic(I've heard good things, but never tried it myself), War Mind (<3), Hulking hurler, Warshaper, and lots more.

Cleric and Eye of Gruumsh for bashing and gods. Ogre cleric, Eye of Gruumsh, and Hulking Hurler, even. (That's just silly, in every way, but it would be fun to RP. I don't even know if you can meet the prereqs.)

Chronos
2008-04-07, 05:55 PM
Those dragon-themed warlocks (Dragon Shaman? No.. Dragon Initiate? something...)Dragonfire Adepts. Personally, I'd prefer a standard warlock, since Dragonfire Adepts get even fewer invocations, and I'm not a big fan of blasting, so the breath weapon doesn't appeal as much.

And the real appeal of the ranger isn't in the pre-set feats; it's in the skills. They get some great skills on their list, and 6 points per level is enough to take advantage of them.