PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 5, what are YOU hoping for?

BillsBioBlog
2008-04-06, 03:27 PM
As we all know, the gaming epic that inspired awesome sequels and medium-awesome movies is making the fifth in the series.

Yes, I've been an avid fan of Resident Evil since the first game came out... I would say "I liked it before it was cool"... but sadly that's impossible, because it was pretty much always cool...

This is a quote from IGN.com concerning the matter

Produced by series veteran Jun Takeuchi, this next-generation follow-up to the terrifying series introduces the theme of escape as its core survival instinct. As Chris Redfield (former S.T.A.R.S. member and now part of the BSAA unit), your life is in danger as you strive to complete your most dangerous mission yet in a sweltering desert colony where a new breed of evil has been unleashed. Swarms of marauding evil beings will charge at you when your pulse is racing at a heart-shattering pace. Environments will play a bigger factor than ever here, using the power of next-gen systems to create a world where terror might lurk in any alcove or shadow. Powerful lighting effects overwhelm the player with mirage movement and blinding brilliance, and even in the light of day, there is no safe haven in this Resident Evil

Desert Colony you say? Well I know what I hope is in this game...

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/3241/mexicanlickeraq5.png

all jokes aside, what are you guys hoping is in RE5?

Albub
2008-04-06, 04:48 PM
I'm hoping for moar racism, as it was suspiciously absent from most of the series.

EvilElitest
2008-04-06, 05:59 PM
A good in depth main character, ah who am kidding
from
EE

Ranis
2008-04-06, 06:37 PM
I'm hoping for it to not, well, suck. The videos I've seen so far have me sketchy about the gameplay, but it looks beautiful. So I suppose we'll see.

Neon Knight
2008-04-06, 08:20 PM
Having enjoyed the 4th game immensely, I hope for more of the same, alongside some refinements such as:

Please, please, PLEASE do not make me babysit a helpless NPC.

TheLogman
2008-04-06, 08:33 PM
I am hoping that it is Nowhere near as hard as it looks in the trailers. That better be like Pro mode man, I am all for challenging games, but I prefer to be able to play on kinda hard but anyone can beat it difficulty or OMGWTF HOW DID THAT KILL ME>?!! Mode at will.

From what it looks like, it will be similar to RE 4, which makes me happy. The combination of Action and Horror made an extremely successful game. Needless to say, this game should have inventive enemies, surprises, tons of areas, fun weapons, puzzles, crests, and Boss fights to remember. Oh, and NO ASHLEY!

Oh, and minigames. I like Minigames. Some sort of Merchant would be nice too, which was what made the transition from Horror Survival to Horror Action, and what made me really appreciate the game more. I just like killing more than running.

Oh, and it better be available on the Wii. It looks like it has the same controls as RE 4, and that worked really well on the Wii.

SurlySeraph
2008-04-06, 08:59 PM
I'm hoping for moar racism, as it was suspiciously absent from most of the series.

*eyeroll*

The fact that the zombies in the trailers are black does not make the game racist. It just means that they were created in a majority-black area. There will doubtlessly be plenty of lily-white enemies like the Tyrants as well.

Me, I'm hoping for them to tie up some of the loose ends and resolve some of the mysteries. Namely: just tell us what Wesker is trying to do, already!

Ranis
2008-04-06, 09:27 PM
Oh, and it better be available on the Wii. It looks like it has the same controls as RE 4, and that worked really well on the Wii.

....lol? Have you seen the graphics for RE5? They make the Wii climb into the fetal position and cry, profusely.

But seriously, it's 360/PS3 only. As far as sheer power goes, they both seriously outclass the Wii.

Jibar
2008-04-07, 02:52 AM
Yeah, despite the fact that... you know, RE4 Wii Edition was better.
Seriously, the controls fit the game so ruddy well.
I don't care if it's not an immediate release, but there had better be a full Wii version at some point.
Apart from that, give me back my Leon with his super sweet bomber jacket.

Ranis
2008-04-07, 09:48 AM
Yeah, despite the fact that... you know, RE4 Wii Edition was better.
Seriously, the controls fit the game so ruddy well.
I don't care if it's not an immediate release, but there had better be a full Wii version at some point.
Apart from that, give me back my Leon with his super sweet bomber jacket.

That's all well and good, but I think for there to be a release of RE5 on a Nintendo console at this point will have to be next generation when Nintendo's console can actually handle the game. It would have to be downsized tremendously for it to be something that the Wii can even think about handling.

Hoggy
2008-04-07, 10:06 AM
What am I hoping for? That it's a fun as it is beautiful, really. I'm usually suspicious of overly pretty games, as too often, they provide little substance.

I'm also hoping I have the money to get a next-gen console to play it. >.>

Albub
2008-04-07, 02:16 PM
*eyeroll*

The fact that the zombies in the trailers are black does not make the game racist. It just means that they were created in a majority-black area. There will doubtlessly be plenty of lily-white enemies like the Tyrants as well.

I never said that! I'm just hoping for more racism. I'm sure you know how little there was in the previous games, let's hope the developers have turned a corner in their though processes. Maybe the protagonist could drop n-bombs as he dispatches Gs or something... As long as it stirs up controversy. There's no such thing as bad publicity, and controversy is an easy way to get word out about your new video game. Definitely easier than good ol' fashion word of mouf.

Neon Knight
2008-04-07, 05:22 PM
I never said that! I'm just hoping for more racism. I'm sure you know how little there was in the previous games, let's hope the developers have turned a corner in their though processes. Maybe the protagonist could drop n-bombs as he dispatches Gs or something... As long as it stirs up controversy. There's no such thing as bad publicity, and controversy is an easy way to get word out about your new video game. Definitely easier than good ol' fashion word of mouf.

Mr. Albub, I would like to kindly ask you to state precisely what you are saying here, as they way it is described here could be by some described at best as "murky" and at worst as "passive-aggressive."

As the above was pretty clearly sarcasm (I hope), I'll take it that you found RE4's use of Spanish villagers and RE5's use of African villagers to be a move intended to stir up controversy and publicity, rather than a legitimate setting choice. I must state that I think you are utterly mistaken. Another Capcom game, Dead Rising, has you absolutely butchering Americans in stunningly humiliating ways, such as burning their faces off with a frying pan and impaling them on a pneumatic drill and whirling their dismembered torsos about in a shower of blood and gore.

Of course, they are hostile flesh eating zombies at the time of said humiliating deaths. By your mark, we should also accuse Capcom of being Anti-American to stir up controversy.

The use of foreigners as the unfortunate plaga parasite victims was, in fact, a choice made not for controversy but for legitimate artistic reasons. Firstly, the foes use of language makes them seem intelligent, and thus more scary, but speaking in a language one can understand can be exploited. In contrast, a bunch of angry pitch fork wielding individuals who speak in a tounge you can't comprehend are much more intimidating. There is a sense of alienation and exclusion, a sense that these strange men are plotting against you and you are powerless to unravel their plot or stop them.

This adds to the experience of being utterly alone in a strange land with nothing but your wits and weapons to keep the rusty farm implements from your soft yielding flesh. Secondly, it adds authenticity to the setting. You know what was the only truly disappointing thing in MGS 3? The Russian characters spoke perfect American English; not a bit of Russian or even accented English among the majority of the entire voice work in the game. The Russians in MGS 2 had accents for the most part from what I can remember, something I appreciated and enjoyed, and it quite frankly surprised me that 3 didn't.

I firmly believe that Capcom is not making anything in RE5 for shock or controversial value.

Belteshazzar
2008-04-07, 08:41 PM
I hope that we won't have poor third world villagers with nary a gun in sight (aside from the obligatory mantle shotgun of course) practically drowning in ammo for exotic and hard to get weapons. RE4 I am looking right at you.

The only gun wielding enemies carried chainguns I couldn't even carry yet every third guy was carrying rifle, machine gun, shot shells or Lord Forbid MINE DARTS! where the hell did they get those. I had to pay top dollar for mine but that peasant was carrying ten. Never mind that being intelligent and coordinated enough to use flails, flaming crossbows, chainsaws and throw dead accurate sickles should make you a damn decent gunman.

Otherwise it was a pretty good game. I actually didn't mind Ashley, she could have used a larger vocabulary than "LEON...LEON...HELP ME LEON!", but hey she is basically a modern rescue the princess scenario so I don't expect too much of her other than ducking when I shoot(which she does) and trying to run from enemies (which she pretty well fails at.)

As for racism I honestly don't think we need to address that as one of the coolest guys was that local cop and the shady trader(s?) both of whom were decidedly non-American. I mean who else has the style to go cultist hunting in an embroidered waistcoat. Besides I think the only three races recognized by the game are Zombies, Greedy Corporate B!@$%, and Survivors.

Neon Knight
2008-04-07, 09:29 PM
I hope that we won't have poor third world villagers with nary a gun in sight (aside from the obligatory mantle shotgun of course) practically drowning in ammo for exotic and hard to get weapons. RE4 I am looking right at you.

The only gun wielding enemies carried chainguns I couldn't even carry yet every third guy was carrying rifle, machine gun, shot shells or Lord Forbid MINE DARTS! where the hell did they get those. I had to pay top dollar for mine but that peasant was carrying ten. Never mind that being intelligent and coordinated enough to use flails, flaming crossbows, chainsaws and throw dead accurate sickles should make you a damn decent gunman.

I thought that was one of those necessary abstractions required to make the game work that you are supposed to politely ignore.

Albub
2008-04-07, 09:50 PM
Sorry, broski. I was just being silly, forget I mentioned it. We have this inside joke around home about me being a closet racist after an incident with a substitute teacher only hearing part of a conversation. I kind of instinctively typed that mess up, my bad. I'm just hoping for some jaw-dropping, unbelievable, make you sick kind of violence. In the game that is...

Ranis
2008-04-07, 10:03 PM
I'd also like to voice that we stop discussion of anything about racism hence the thread get locked.

Belteshazzar
2008-04-07, 10:18 PM
There was more than enough treasure to buy all the bullets you need from the merchant. They could have even put in more treasures and a few clips in places that made sense (the military base or labs perhaps?) It just made me feel too cheap to not ever worry about ammo (except boss fights but they were mostly about tactics.) I must have rode off that island with more Bullion than some countries.

Jibar
2008-04-08, 09:27 AM

I think it's obvious what happened.
The villagers beat up the merchant, but, the plagas making them a liiittle stupid, they only stole the ammo from him. That's why the merchant has all the guns, but like no ammo.
Yup. That's totally what happened.

Also, something that has me worried about RE5. Looking at the videos out there, it looks a lot more fast paced, and considering with RE4 you actually had to stop and aim before shooting, I'm wondering if that's actually going to work there. They'll need to change the whole aiming mechanic really. Unless it was the Wii version, in which case you wouldn't need too since it was perfect.

Ziren
2008-04-08, 05:27 PM
I think it's obvious what happened.
The villagers beat up the merchant, but, the plagas making them a liiittle stupid, they only stole the ammo from him. That's why the merchant has all the guns, but like no ammo.
Yup. That's totally what happened.

And yet he gives you up to 100 shells for your automatic shotgun for free when you get the final upgrade.

Anyway, I don't care about the content of RE 5 as long as I won't be able to play it. Which won't happen before a Wii-Release.

Jibar
2008-04-09, 10:19 AM
And yet he gives you up to 100 shells for your automatic shotgun for free when you get the final upgrade.

He's been following you, picking up anything you forget.
Alternatively: Amazon. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/)