PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs help with d&d

HomocidalWizard
2008-04-06, 04:22 PM
Hey, I'm new to the forums and need some help with d&d.

First off is that I can't pick a class, a problem that I have in every game (between rogue, wizard or swashbuckler).

Second, I was wondering if these rolls would be decent or if I should redo them 18, 16, 16, 14, 8, 7, and where to put them as a wizard (have it about figured out for the others).

Edit: also I'm bad at naming things, would like any tips on that as well.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Kol Korran
2008-04-06, 04:36 PM
first thing- ask your DM for advice. s/he can probably help you.

about a class: it realy depends on your roleplaying preferences, the campaign, and what the rest are playing. there is no "always better" class.

rogue demands great knwoledge of how skills work, and determining when to risk yourself, and when not.

wizard demands mastery of the magic rules, and the variable spells out there.

swashcbuckler is primarily for style, and considered not the most optimized option, beyond a cetain level.

as to the stats: again- it depends on the attributes system you're using. in some- you're over powered, in some others, you're underpowered. it all depends on the playing group...

holywhippet
2008-04-06, 04:44 PM
Those rolls are good. That's equivalent to a 43 point buy - a 28 point buy is generally considered fair.

For a wizard I'd allocate them as follows:

STR: 8
DEX: 16
CON: 16
INT: 18
WIS: 14
CHA: 7

That 14 could be swapped out to either STR (for more carrying capacity) or CHA (for better talking skills). But you can use magic to boost either.

I'd take wizard over the other two classes. It can more or less accomplish anything the others can do with spells.

For names, grab a copy of PCGEN: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php It's a bit complicated to learn, but it has a good random name generator.

HomocidalWizard
2008-04-06, 04:44 PM
The DM has less knowledge about the rules than I do (I just don't like to DM).

Should've phrased the class question a bit better, what classes do you all prefer and why?

As to building around the party we rolled die to see who gets first pick of classes and I won.

We're using the system where you roll each d6 4 times and drop the lowest.

Edit: also how important is will? When will I use it? (no pun intended)

Reinboom
2008-04-06, 05:03 PM
Will save?
Anything Mind-Affecting (most enchantments, among a plethora of other spells).
A lot of save or lose effects.
Illusions.
Fear effects.

It's arguably the most important save. Arguably due to it's variability based on the game - Fortitude is also quite significant in a lot of cases.

===
My preferred classes:
Sorcerer
Cleric, sort of. (I dislike prepared spellcasting, however, the cleric has been a fun class to play).
Bard
Rogue
Barbarian

I hate:
Fighter
Monk
Wizard

Beguiler and Favored Soul get special mention for outside of core.

holywhippet
2008-04-06, 05:10 PM
The DM has less knowledge about the rules than I do (I just don't like to DM).

Should've phrased the class question a bit better, what classes do you all prefer and why?

As to building around the party we rolled die to see who gets first pick of classes and I won.

We're using the system where you roll each d6 4 times and drop the lowest.

Edit: also how important is will? When will I use it? (no pun intended)

I only began playing a few months ago so the only classes I'm familiar with are monk and bard. The monk is a tricky class to play since front line combat is not their forte. The bard's usefulness depends on the number of party members they are with. In a decent sized group they can be very useful both in and out of combat.

The rogue is a useful class when it comes to stealth. In combat they have the problem of whether to attack at close range or not. They get their sneak attack damage when flanking, but they generally don't have a great AC. A rogue with some levels of wizard or sorcerer can be a lot more dangerous.

Wizards are pretty versatile if you pick your spells carefully. However, they have low HP and low AC without magical assistance. Running out of spells can be a pain also.

Will saves are generally needed whenever someone throws a mind affecting spell at you. Sleep, paralysis and charm type spells being the main candidates. Usefulness depends on what kind of enemies and situations you are facing. If you are mostly facing enemies using direct force then you won't need will saves. If you are facing spellcasters tossing out mind affecting spells then you'll be glad to have a good will save. Disbelieving illusions is also helped by will saves.

HomocidalWizard
2008-04-06, 05:15 PM
Thanks again for the help, I want to play a spellcaster of some sort, if the party has a barbarian, a fighter and a cleric (of pelor if it matters) would a sorcerer or a wizard be a better option? (sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm new)

Sir_Elderberry
2008-04-06, 05:17 PM
Thanks again for the help, I want to play a spellcaster of some sort, if the party has a barbarian, a fighter and a cleric (of pelor if it matters) would a sorcerer or a wizard be a better option? (sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm new)

I'd say sorcerer is easier for someone new; but wizards are generally held to be more powerful.

Prometheus
2008-04-06, 05:19 PM
I'd come up with a character concept and background for one of the classes, whichever comes most naturally, and go from there. Rogues and Wizards are both solid choices, if you really can't decide, go with whichever your party has less of, flip a coin, or let other players decide which character concept they think is most interesting. EDIT: Sorcerer is the much more simpler option of the two - just make sure you pick up a variety of spells (ie, combat is important, but you can only use one spell a turn, so it shouldn't all be blasts).

Solo
2008-04-06, 05:19 PM
I'd say sorcerer is easier for someone new; but wizards are generally held to be more powerful.

If only there were guides as to how to play either of these two classes for this newbie's benefit!

HomocidalWizard
2008-04-06, 05:30 PM
Complicated isn't really an issue for me, I've read both the DM guide and player's guide about through.

My characters backstory (if it helps) is that he is a generally likeable and kind person, but was exiled from his village after he lost control of his power and blew up a few buildings and is now being pursued by the local authorities, while still trying to do good as much as he can while remaining low-profile.

Edit for spelling

holywhippet
2008-04-06, 05:37 PM
That rules out bard then - they don't have any "go boom" type spells. Sorcerer is probably a better choice since their magic is innate, wizards have to study and practice discipline. Generally speaking, wizards learn more spells and get higher level spells earlier. Sorcerers get more spells per day and can pick whichever one they want at casting time.

HomocidalWizard
2008-04-06, 05:41 PM
I would also like to say that when it comes to killing I can get fairly creative (such as setting an orc on fire, holding it in place and roasting a goblin like a marshmallow over it for example). My character is also the "comic relief" for the game as well.

Sir_Elderberry
2008-04-06, 05:44 PM
If only there were guides as to how to play either o these two classes for this newbie's benefit!

Yeah, but that would require someone who could competently write those guides and seriously, is there anyone like that? :smallwink:

holywhippet
2008-04-06, 05:57 PM
Guides are difficult to impossible to write as it really depends on that campaign, the DM and the other players. You could go on about talking skills and characterisation but end up in a campaign which is nothing but kill, loot, rest - repeat.

Dode
2008-04-06, 06:01 PM
Edit: also I'm bad at naming things.
lol no kidding, HomocidalWizard

Dode
2008-04-06, 06:02 PM
Yeah, but that would require someone who could competently write those guides and seriously, is there anyone like that? :smallwink:
yeah he would probably have to be a big loser with no life and too much free ti-

oops :smallwink:

Reinboom
2008-04-06, 06:26 PM
Guides are difficult to impossible to write as it really depends on that campaign, the DM and the other players. You could go on about talking skills and characterisation but end up in a campaign which is nothing but kill, loot, rest - repeat.

Solo was referring to this guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74801), written by some random poster.

As well as this guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500), somewhat.

HomocidalWizard
2008-04-09, 07:23 PM
I've been thinking it over and I still haven't decided between sorcerer and wizard, but was considering paladin (my DM will also let me be neutral good), any comments on the class are appreciated. I might miss my meaningless slaughter however.

Chronos
2008-04-09, 09:13 PM
If you enjoy meaningless slaughter, paladin probably just isn't going to work out for you. Your party also already has a couple of front-liners (or three, depending on how the cleric ends up getting played), so adding another one would be somewhat redundant. Sorcerer or wizard would both probably be better bets, since there isn't another arcane caster in the party, and neither one has any particular code of conduct they need to follow (so your goblin marshmallow roasts are still on the table).

On choosing between them, the biggest difference is that sorcerers take more work to create, since you have to pick your spells known carefully. Wizards, however, take more work to play, since you have to figure out every day what spells will be most useful, and decide every turn which prepared slot you won't need in the next encounter. Given that you can find good guides for both here or elsewhere, I would recommend sorcerer, since you only need to make your character once, and you don't have to do it while the other players are waiting for you to take your turn. Sorcerer also fits in better with your backstory, since they're more likely to have accidentally lost control of their spells (before they gain first level and learn to control their magic, it can sometimes act spontaneously).