PDA

View Full Version : Metanaut

mroozee
2008-04-06, 05:07 PM
This is my first homebrew attempt, so be nice :smallsmile:
It might be overpowered, but I'm open to revision.
Also, if this has already been done to death, I apologize in advance.

In many of the games I've played, one of the players will fudge the rules. Rather than having them break the rules, I present a character class that let's them "cheat" within the rules of the game. The premise is somewhere between the Joker and Parson. The Good Saves, BAB and d12 are there simply because these are things that get exaggerated often. Any comments are appreciated.

Metanaut
Upon realization that they are part of a game, the Metanaut begins to explore the boundaries of their reality.

Their first discovery is that who they are is largely dependent upon a "Character Sheet" and that by altering this Sheet, they alter their powers and abilities within their world. Soon, the Metanaut discovers important information, communication and reality changing abilities - until ultimately, they exist as much without the game as within.

Hit Dice: d12
Alignment: Any
Skill Points: 2+Int (all skills are class skills)
Weapons and Armor: None
Special: As the Metanaut becomes further removed from the game world, they find it harder to learn from their experiences in it. Each level of Metanaut requires 10% (cumulative) more experience points to advance in levels from that point on for any future levels achieved. Thus, a 3rd level Metanaut would permanently need 30% more xp to advance in levels regardless of what class they choose next. If they take another level of Metanaut later, the xp needed to advance in levels would increase to 40%.

Metanaut
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Hidden Skills

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Look In The Book

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Hidden Feat

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Talk Out Of Turn

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Hidden Item

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+5|Hidden Feat

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+5|Hail The Calculator

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+6|Fudge The Dice

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+6|Hidden Feat

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+7|Unforeseen Circumstances

11th|
+11|
+7|
+7|
+7|Hidden Spell

12th|
+12|
+8|
+8|
+8|Hidden Feat

13th|
+13|
+8|
+8|
+8|Hidden Ability

14th|
+14|
+9|
+9|
+9|Hidden Immunity

15th|
+15|
+9|
+9|
+9|Hidden Feat

16th|
+16|
+10|
+10|
+10|Open Communications

17th|
+17|
+10|
+10|
+10|Retroactive Continuity

18th|
+18|
+11|
+11|
+11|Hidden Feat

19th|
+19|
+11|
+11|
+11|Unfair Surprise

20th|
+20|
+12|
+12|
+12|Fully Aware[/table]

Hidden Skills
All Skill Points gained from Metanaut levels are assigned each gaming session when they are first used. As an example, Romsom is a 4th level Cleric, 3rd level Metanaut with a 14 Intelligence. Romsom has 2 Ranks in Spot from his Cleric levels and 12 Metanaut Skill Points. At some point in the gaming session, the DM asks Romsom's player to make a Spot check. Romsom can use any of his Metanaut skill points to set his Spot skill for this gaming session (up to his level limit). Romsom says he has an 8 Ranks in Spot leaving him with 6 Metanaut skill points to be defined later in the gaming session. At the next game, Romsom can readjust his skill points as required or desired. Note: while this can be extremely useful, Hidden Skill Points cannot be used for Feats (other than Hidden Feats) or Prestige Class Requirements.

Look In The Book
The Metanaut may read any gaming aid at any time that the DM allows (the DM will likely balk at allowing the Metanaut to read the module or even see the map, for example). Typically, this is used to find out details about Monsters or Magic Items that the Metanaut would otherwise not know.

Hidden Feat
Similar to Hidden Skills, Hidden Feats are assigned each gaming session when they are first used. The Metanaut must meet all requirements for the Hidden Feat though not necessarily at the level it was taken. Note: while Hidden Feats can be extremely useful, they cannot be used as requirements for Feats (other than Hidden Feats) or Prestige Class Requirements.

Talk Out Of Turn
The Metanaut can communicate with other Characters in the same location (within 100 feet) through an undefined mechanism (the players talk to each other instead of the characters). So long as they are alive, there is no barrier to this form of communication - charm, unconsciousness, silence, and polymorph (of either character) for example, have no effect whatsoever. An impossible amount of information can be conveyed through this mechanism when, for example, the players interrupt combat to eat dinner :)

Hidden Item
Similar to Hidden Skils and Feats, the Metanaut has access to a single item worth up to 2,500 gp per Class Level. The DM may limit the source books and items are available. The item is defined upon its first appearance and remains fixed for the remainder of the gaming session. Note: this item is assumed to have been with the Metanaut all along; if the party is stripped of all their gear, the Hidden Item is with the gear, not the party.

Hail The Calculator
The Metanaut may use a calculator, spreadsheet or any other technology available to the Player as they see fit. Typically, this would be used for calculating things like damage projections.

Fudge The Dice
The Metanaut may retry one roll per gaming session after learning of the (immediate) result.

Unforeseen Circumstances
The Metanaut may attempt to alter the local environment to provide a +2 Circumstance bonus to any roll they make. The Metanaut must define where the advantage comes from and it cannot conflict with the rest of the environment. Example, Romsom makes a melee attack against an Orc and declares that the sun in the Orc's eyes gives him a +2 Circumstance bonus to his attack. This explanation would not work if they were fighting underground, at night, or if the Orc is blind and no bonus would be applied.

Hidden Spell
The Metanaut may cast one spell per day as though he had one additional class level in any spell-casting class he could have taken this level. Once the Hidden Spell is defined, it is set for the entire gaming session. Ability score, alignment restrictions, and prohibited schools may limit options. For example, Romsom has 4 levels of Cleric. He could choose a single 1st-3rd level Cleric Spell (and spontaneously cast as a cure if necessary) or a 1st level Sorcerer Spell.

Hidden Ability
The Metanaut may use one Class Ability from any other Class that the Metanaut has levels in. The Ability is limited to those available when both the Class and Metanaut levels are stacked. As with the other Hidden forms, once defined, it is set for the entire gaming session. Example, Pietro is a 2nd level Paladin / 1st level Monk / 13th level Metanaut. Pietro could define his Hidden Ability to be Aura of Courage, Divine Health, Turn Undead, Smite Evil 4/day, Special Mount, Remove Disease 4/week, or any of the Monk Abilities through 14th level.

Hidden Immunity
The Metanaut may choose complete immunity from one of: Fire, Cold, Electricity, Acid, Sonic, Energy Drain, Aging, Death Effects, Charms, Poisons, Disease, or any similar type of effect at the DM's discretion ("Magic" would be too broad as would "Slashing Weapons" while "Fred's Attacks" would be too specific). Once chosen, the Immunity is set for the entire gaming session.

Open Communications
Similar to Talk Out Of Turn but there is absolutely no limit other than the death of the Metanaut. A Metanaut sleeping in an anti-magic shell a thousand years in the future could communicate through the same unknown mechanism with a party member on another plane who has been turned to stone in the present timeline.

Retroactive Continuity
In situations where the Metanaut is neither threatened nor distracted, they may "correct" an earlier, innocuous action (with DM authorization). An example, "You know that guard that I fought two rooms ago? Instead of hiding the body in the closet, how about instead I searched him first and left a note with the body for the other characters to find? (DM: No problem, you found a few coins and a small key.)" This cannot be used to undo more significant events, but later knowledge can be utilized: "in the note, I write that the shimmering door is one-way and not to speak to the golem." Note: the "innocuous" nature of the action limits the amount of time involved; a few minutes where no one else does anything is innocuous while an hour or a day, even for minor changes may not be as their consequences tend to snowball.

Unfair Surprise
Similar to Retroactive Continuity, once per gaming session, the Metanaut can take earlier, unstated actions that utilize present knowledge. The difference here is the time and scope of those actions. Example, the Party finds itself about to be narrowly defeated by a handful of dragons. The Metanaut then asserts that he sent a letter to the Tower of High Magic to meet the party at the current location and time. The DM then decides whether the Wizards of the Tower would intervene.

Doorway to Reality
The Metanaut fully realizes the nature of his existence. His creature type is permanently changed to "Other". As a full round action, the Metanaut can enter or exit the game's reality near any other member of his party. No actions can affect the Metanaut when he is outside the game world though time continues to flow and the Metanaut can use potions, scrolls or spells on himself normally. This ability does not limit Open Communication in any way and there is no barrier (save the DM) that can stop the Metanaut from entering or exiting reality.

Norr
2008-04-06, 05:42 PM
One little thing I feel certain I can point out right now is the XP penalty. Since the penalty is 10%/level, it will hit 100% XP penalty at 10th level, thereby preventing the Metanaut from progressing further in any class.
I would suggest changing it to 5% xp penalty/level, capping the Metanaut at level 20, or impose a 'penalty limit' at 90% or 95%, allowing the Metanaut to keep gaining experience past level 10 (albeit at a very slow rate).
There are of course other things to point out as well, but I'm currently too sleepy to find them :smallwink:

Prometheus
2008-04-06, 05:44 PM
Problems:
-What is the in-game effect that characters observe for tis phenomenon?
-a cumulative XP penalty o 10% means that the character can't take any levels beyond 10
-a lot of the abilities are per session, which means if this is balanced in any game, it wouldn't be in another. By encounter or by day usually work better
-Most parties already allow talking out of turn, when a player is incapacitated, and when a players is dead (although the later two only occur out of character).
-The Hidden series tend to allow for abuse, even if I can't site any specific examples right now.
-This is best used as a joke only, in the case, *hearty chortle*

mroozee
2008-04-06, 07:16 PM
One little thing I feel certain I can point out right now is the XP penalty. Since the penalty is 10%/level, it will hit 100% XP penalty at 10th level, thereby preventing the Metanaut from progressing further in any class.
I would suggest changing it to 5% xp penalty/level, capping the Metanaut at level 20, or impose a 'penalty limit' at 90% or 95%, allowing the Metanaut to keep gaining experience past level 10 (albeit at a very slow rate).
There are of course other things to point out as well, but I'm currently too sleepy to find them :smallwink:

I wasn't sure how best to phrase this so that there would be no ambiguity. I probably should've included an example...

What I intended the 10% to mean is that if you need 10,000 xp to move from 10th Level to 11th Level, now you need that same 10,000 xp PLUS an additional 10% (1,000 xp) for a total of 11,000 xp. With a 100% Penalty, if you need 15,000 xp to move from 15th Level to 16th Level, you need that same 15,000 xp PLUS an additional 100% (15,000 xp) for a total of 30,000 xp.

mroozee
2008-04-06, 07:23 PM
Problems:
-What is the in-game effect that characters observe for tis phenomenon?
-a cumulative XP penalty o 10% means that the character can't take any levels beyond 10
-a lot of the abilities are per session, which means if this is balanced in any game, it wouldn't be in another. By encounter or by day usually work better
-Most parties already allow talking out of turn, when a player is incapacitated, and when a players is dead (although the later two only occur out of character).
-The Hidden series tend to allow for abuse, even if I can't site any specific examples right now.
-This is best used as a joke only, in the case, *hearty chortle*

As for the ingame effect, the Metanaut might see this as some kind of grand revelation. Others will not understand the nature of this (non-magical) power. The Communications just come in as some out-of-the-blue, HTF am I communicating with this guy sort of thing.

The idea behind the per session basis (which is admittedly non-standard) is so that the DM doesn't have to keep going back and confirming what has changed THIS time.

It was intended as somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I also wanted to see if I could build a mechanism to represent this aspect of guys like the Joker, Parson, Flynn (from Tron) and Deadpool as well as find a class that hasn't already been done a thousand times over on these forums. :smallbiggrin:

Norr
2008-04-07, 06:18 AM
What I intended the 10% to mean is that if you need 10,000 xp to move from 10th Level to 11th Level, now you need that same 10,000 xp PLUS an additional 10% (1,000 xp) for a total of 11,000 xp. With a 100% Penalty, if you need 15,000 xp to move from 15th Level to 16th Level, you need that same 15,000 xp PLUS an additional 100% (15,000 xp) for a total of 30,000 xp.

I think phrasing it something like this would do the trick:
Special: As the Metanaut becomes further removed from the game world, they find it harder to learn from their experiences in it. Each level of Metanaut requires 10% (cumulative) more experience points to advance in levels from that point on for any future levels achieved. Thus, a 3rd level Metanaut would permanently need 30% more xp to advance in levels regardless of what class they choose next. If they take another level of Metanaut later, the xp needed to advance in levels would increase to 40%.

Bhu
2008-04-10, 12:21 AM
I must admit I laughed. Thank you for this I needed somethign to brighten my day.