PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite class?

The Cats
2008-04-06, 07:13 PM
A simple enough question: Which class do you enjoy playing the most?

I myself can't really form much of an opinion since I've just recently started my very first campaign (As a monk) but I'm interested in hearing yours.

So, what is your favorite class and why?

EDIT: spelling errors!

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-06, 07:24 PM
Mystic Swordsage. No competition. They are a flexible, and potent, class at all levels in addition to being incredibly versatile. It's closest thing there is to the perfect class in my eyes.

nobodylovesyou4
2008-04-06, 07:26 PM
i like almost all the classes for their own reasons, but i love playing as a rogue. they have so many different applications, and they're not a bad combat force, either, as long as they're flanking.

cleric is another one i like a lot, because it, like rogue, has so many different applications. for me, the more different ways you can RP a class, the better. a paladin has pretty much one way to rp it unless you take grey guard, but a rogue can be virtually anything.

ocato
2008-04-06, 07:33 PM
More and more I am succumbing to my love of clerics in all their varied greatnesses.

Nohwl
2008-04-06, 07:36 PM
archivist, i like how they can tell the party a creatures weakness, and how to fight it. their spell list is a bonus.

AmberVael
2008-04-06, 07:37 PM
Warlock. I do wish they had more invocations though.
They're simple, but have a good level of customization and a number of interesting powers.

Cheesegear
2008-04-06, 07:37 PM
Personally, my favourite class is a rogue. I prefer stealth-based characters, that's just me. They can be useful in so many situations thanks to lots of skill points and lots of class skills. It seems to be one of those classes that 'anyone can play, but not everyone can master'.

Also Druids. If I'm not playing the party's rogue, then I'm a Druid. With stealth.

My favourite character I've made was a Rogue/Cleric though. Go figure?

Zincorium
2008-04-06, 07:41 PM
Nowadays, probably Duskblade. I'm a big fan of the gish concept, and beguilers are an easy to use version of that that plays about as well at high levels as it does at low.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-06, 07:44 PM
I've been pretty loyal to Druid for a long time.

valadil
2008-04-06, 08:01 PM
Right now I'm fascinated with sorcerers. Beguilers might be more to more liking but I haven't tried one yet. My favorite PC was a bard.

FlyMolo
2008-04-06, 08:03 PM
Warlocks, warmages, and anything psionic. Specifically PsyWar Thri-keen with War Mind levels.

Trizap
2008-04-06, 08:09 PM
well I'm just starting out, so I don't really know but a Barbarian sounds right for me, simple, straightforward, get to smash face, plus a lot of funny roleplaying opportunities, such as thinking illiteracy is a deadly disease or getting distracted by shiny objects.

FinalJustice
2008-04-06, 08:09 PM
First and foremost, Sorcerer. Entirely made of win. Arcane might, handsomeness, awesomeness and funnier mechanics. =D

Then, Warblade and Swordsage, ToB is beautiful.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-06, 08:18 PM
Wizard, Wizard, Wizard. So many ways to play. So many variations. And whenever you get bored mem different spells. Also, being Unchallenged Master of the Laws of the Universe with a side of Way Smarter then You is pretty nice.

Cainen
2008-04-06, 08:19 PM
Healer, even though it's woefully underpowered(I've done my part to fix it). I just like playing healbots.

Kabump
2008-04-06, 08:23 PM
Well, Im a D&D noob, but I like the CONCEPT of monks, just not the execution. Right now, I have a swordsage im DYING to start using, campaign starts Wednesday :smallbiggrin:

SilentNight
2008-04-06, 08:27 PM
I enjoy rogues for the versatility in flavor and warblades for pure all around awesome. My new all-time favorite though is the cat-burglar by Bhu in the homebrew section.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-04-06, 08:32 PM
I like alot of things, depends on what I'm doing. ToB is pretty fun, as are sorcerers.

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-06, 08:35 PM
Swordsages (usually shadow hand focused) and Shadowcasters all the way. Runners up would be Binder and Spellthief.

Yvian
2008-04-06, 08:38 PM
Elf Wizard for the power to do anything.
Dwarf Fighter to hit things really hard.
[I am classical, I am simple, I hate cheese].

Chronos
2008-04-06, 09:04 PM
My favourite character I've made was a Rogue/Cleric though. Go figure?Heh, my longest-running character was one of those, too. Well, actually, thief/cleric, since it was 2nd edition (which also made the combination much more viable).

But yeah, I like rogues, too. Everyone else, they can only do their cool things so many times per day (if they can do them at all, see: fighter), and have to ration them out, but rogues can do their cool stuff as much as they want.

I would probably like warlocks, too, except I've never gotten the chance to play one.

Eldariel
2008-04-06, 09:05 PM
Didn't we just have one of these? My favourite class is Tome of Battle.

Eclipse
2008-04-06, 09:09 PM
I'm all about the sorcerer and cleric. I like sorcerers for the amazing capacity of spell casting they have, and what they lack in versatility can be made up for in feats (and the archmage prestige class.) Clerics, well, they can heal, they can nuke, they can fight. What's not to love?

Nebo_
2008-04-06, 09:17 PM
Mystic Swordsage. No competition. They are a flexible, and potent, class at all levels in addition to being incredibly versatile. It's closest thing there is to the perfect class in my eyes.

Wait, do you mean the arcane swordsage variant? That's one of the most hideously broken things ever to make it into a WotC book.

BardicDuelist
2008-04-06, 09:25 PM
These keep popping up. I wonder if people give different answers each time...

My favorite class is probably the Factotum from Dungeonscape. I think it has the best mechanics out of any class in the game. It is actually good at not specializing and viable at nearly every level. It is single ability dependant for the most part, but rewards spreading your ability scores out. While taking Font of Inspiration as much as possible is the most powerful way to do your feats, it is not hampered by trying to emphasize annother aspect of your character and taking different feats. All around a sound class.

A very close second is the bard. The motivation is practically built in, and I loves the novels of Lloyd Alexander whilst I was growing up. Adaon was my favorite character.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-06, 09:25 PM
Wait, do you mean the arcane swordsage variant? That's one of the most hideously broken things ever to make it into a WotC book.

It CAN be broken. However using spells like Blade of Blood as a strike and Expeditious Retreat, Swift as a Boost isn't going to end the world. It's just a really, really theatrical way to fight. The trick is to just be responsible when selecting your spells and, you know, act like you RESPECT your DM and fellow gamers? :smalltongue:

I still think that Dimension Hop is the coolest freaking Mystic Strike EVER, even if it deals no damage and can be saved against. :smallbiggrin:

Collin152
2008-04-06, 09:28 PM
I'm fond of swordsages, though I've yet to play one.

I prefer Wizards, though.
Old man with a staff over young lass in leather any day.

AslanCross
2008-04-06, 09:32 PM
1. Warblade.
2. Warlock.
3. Crusader.
4. Duskblade.
5. Psion.

lordbrocktree
2008-04-06, 09:33 PM
my favorite class is the barbarian its just fun to play and i love being able to soak more damage than the rest of the party

Grynning
2008-04-06, 10:46 PM
1. Fighter - I know it's the weakest class in 3.5, but I still remember my first character, a dwarf fighter in 2nd edition. Fond memories abound. I also defied all common sense by rolling a single class fighter in an epic game...dumb, yes, but choosing all the feats was kind of fun.

2. Everything out of PHBII - I think the classes in that book are very well constructed, interesting to play, and totally viable for their full progression.

3. Rogue, Ranger, Paladin and Scout, particularly in multi-class combinations with the class-feature stacking feats from the Complete series.

PrC's are a whole 'nother story...

Elven Paladin
2008-04-06, 10:57 PM
Soulknife. *ducks*

I can't wait to throw a mindblade just so I can say I've killed something...with mindbullets!

Edit: Oh, I like paladins, but that goes without saying. Who doesn't like paladins?

Goff
2008-04-06, 11:32 PM
Do the R.O.G.U.E.
1234 fight!
Stab them in the S.E.A.T.
Get ready to ignite.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-07, 04:27 AM
Artificer.

I really like the combination of long-term strategic planning, and being able to pull cool stuff out of your hat by infusions and spell storing item.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-07, 04:51 AM
I've only just started playing, but I'd say the Cleric as they are the best healers in the game (excluding the Healer class), and they are quite good as frontline combatants (also, they don't have tons of options excluding Domains, which is good due to how easily I get confused).

Talic
2008-04-07, 05:05 AM
Core: Rogue.

Out of Core? Warlock.

Between the 2? Eh, why pick, go both. They complement each other so well. Light armor, good skills, damage progression, denial of dex on one side for boosts, and denial of armor, nat armor, and shield comes standard on the other. Many Warlock invocations greatly assist hiding, and warlock/rogue sniper builds can be quite effective.

Both classes benefit from good charisma, as many rogue skills work on it, and Warlock save DC's key off it, but both can get by without it (if all your warlock invocations are "no save required", for example). Dex, Con, Cha, Int, Wis, Str, in that order. Possibly switch Con and Cha if you intend to force enemies to save.

Nebo_
2008-04-07, 05:10 AM
I've only just started playing, but I'd say the Cleric as they are the best healers in the game (excluding the Healer class)

Actually, they're better at healing than a Healer. Healers just suck so hard.

Paul H
2008-04-07, 05:19 AM
Hi

Warmages, Clerics & Druids are my favourites. So many spells, so little time.

Though I'm currently going through a Warlock phase in Neverwinter Nights 2.

Cheers
Paul H

JackTR69
2008-04-07, 05:26 AM
I like my rouge/assassin that I've been running for awhile. Take a look at my avatar, and be afraid. Because he WILL stab you PCs eyes out just for fun.

JackTR69
2008-04-07, 05:29 AM
I like my rouge/assassin that I've been running for awhile. Take a look at my avatar, and be afraid. Because he WILL stab you PCs eyes out just for fun.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-04-07, 05:43 AM
I'm eventually going to play a Beguiler, and once that happens, that class might win me over. However, until that day comes, Sorcerer gets me most of my arcane fun with none of the paperwork.

Alla
2008-04-07, 05:58 AM
I'm a newbie to roleplaying, but I'm having a lot of fun with my first bard. :)

leperkhaun
2008-04-07, 06:00 AM
Wizard...its always has been since i first started playing.

After that the psy warrior

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-07, 06:12 AM
Sorcerer/artificer, if gestault is allowed. Its so... flexible. Its like being a wizard in that you can prepare any spell that ever existed if you've got the time, but you also have huge casts-per-day for fighting. Also maximizing a Wand of Fireball is fun.

serow
2008-04-07, 06:38 AM
PsyWars~ All the goodness of a fighter type with the fun of a mage :smallbiggrin:

Neithan
2008-04-07, 06:38 AM
I guess the class I mostly play and very much like, is the ranger. I guess 6 out of 10 characters I ever played were rangers.

Last weeks a friend asked me if I play D&D (which he had asked me before, but had forgotten) and if I would like to join their group (which he also did before, but he thought I was out of town between semesters, which I wasn't). So I asked what setting they use, whyt characters they have in the group, what has been going on so far, and said I guess I'd give pure fighter a try. And then his girlfriend said "or a ranger!" and he was "Oh yes! Or play a ranger! We could so much need a ranger!":smallbiggrin:
So I guess it's ranger again. :smallsmile:

I also very much like the idea of sorcerers, but the PHB class is rather meh...
I'm currently working on a witcher base class, which is to a druid as a sorcerer is to a wizard and a favored soul is to a cleric.

A ranger/witcher would be my absolute dream-character.

Dr Bwaa
2008-04-07, 11:29 AM
Good role-playing makes any class. I sometimes really like characters in a class that doesn't suit them (high wis, cha fighters, etc). Other times it's just the fun of the characters.

I really enjoy fighters, despite the obvious problems. My favorite character ever is currently a (human) fighter 7/Devoted Defender 6, in a game with a half-dragon sorceress (half-dragon template added in-game by the DM, without a level adjustment!), a druid, and a super-optimized rogue/bard. And who is he the devoted defender of? the sorceress (naturally). He doesn't have the ability to fly (long story short, we're all criminals of the highest order in the eyes of the Powers That Be, and therefore can't go into any big cities. Ever.), or any other way of actually protecting her in battle (she has more STR than he does!). But he's my favorite character just because that campaign is so much fun to RP.

I'm also a big fan of clerics, while my DMs are all big fans of Moral Dilemmas =D

BadJuJu
2008-04-07, 11:35 AM
Im torn between the ToB classes, Barbarian, and Psy Warrior. Good clean fun.

marthais
2008-04-07, 11:45 AM
Alright...I better be allowed to choose three:smallwink:
Sorceror: I've loved the concept ever since I started
Warmage: pretty much the same as above
Duskblade: Loving the gish :smallcool:

Burley
2008-04-07, 12:00 PM
(I bet some of you thought I'd never show up. :smalltongue:)
Warlock...All Day. I can fly around and own the world...completely naked. How bloody cool is that? I'll tell you. Pretty bloody cool.

If I'm playing gestalt, however, I'm really diggin on my current (Both Druid Variants from PHBII) Druid//Ninja. The roleplaying value is so extremely BA. It's like weaving a Naruto character into my campaign. (I'm gonna need to get a new Avitar for him...maybe...)
Though...if I wanted to completely break my current campaign: Warlock//Rogue. The damage...the Retributive Invisibility + Sneak Attack Eldritch Blasty goodness.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-07, 01:45 PM
Good point about Healers, Nebo_. (I'd forgotten that Healers can;t spontaneously cast their spells).

Enguhl
2008-04-07, 08:35 PM
Psion! "I hit it... with my mind"

bibliophile
2008-04-07, 08:53 PM
Who can make the magic items that all other classes rely on?

Who can make artifacts?

Who can rewrite reality by speaking?

Who can imprison your soul in a rock?

Who can turn anything into anything?

Wizards can.

Collin152
2008-04-07, 09:01 PM
Who can make the magic items that all other classes rely on?

Who can make artifacts?

Who can rewrite reality by speaking?

Who can imprison your soul in a rock?

Who can turn anything into anything?

We can! We can!

Long live the Stonecutters!

obvious pun
2008-04-07, 09:03 PM
Druid. What's better than transforming into a bear? Summoning flying bears and ordering them, along with your animal companion bear, to attack alongside you, all of which have unfair bonuses. Did I mention the full spell casting progression?

Favored Soul. A cleric who doesn't have to prepare his spells, and who also gets more spells per day. Also, good saves.

Druid/ Wizard(conjurer)/ Mystic Theurge...
"Summon Nature's Ally 3!"
"Ha! Is that it?"
"Summon Monster 3!"
"I still have the upper hand!"
*More summoning*
"Gaaaaah! Too... Many... Birds..."

Fav Soul/ Sorcerer/ Mystic Theurge. Same as above, but more spells per day.

Fighter/ Wizard/ Spell Sword. Because now the meat shield can cast too. Everyone wins!

Please note that if I got anything wrong about the Fav Soul or the Spell Sword, it's because I don't have CW or CD. Thought I did, though...

asphen fox
2008-04-07, 09:17 PM
It CAN be broken. However using spells like Blade of Blood as a strike and Expeditious Retreat, Swift as a Boost isn't going to end the world. It's just a really, really theatrical way to fight. The trick is to just be responsible when selecting your spells and, you know, act like you RESPECT your DM and fellow gamers? :smalltongue:

I still think that Dimension Hop is the coolest freaking Mystic Strike EVER, even if it deals no damage and can be saved against. :smallbiggrin:

I've never seen that variant before... O_o Mind telling where I can find it? :smallbiggrin:

Anyways... Me? Swordsage, Warblade, Warlock, Ranger and Rogue. I'll play a wizard but don't expect me not to try and optimize.:smallwink: It's just so hard to actually try to be batman when playing it. :smallannoyed: Confound those small amount of spells per day!

Reinboom
2008-04-07, 09:21 PM
Ted
Sorcerer
Beguiler
Rogue

I'm a major fan of Utility and being the "I make everyone else better!" buffing toolkit.
:smalltongue:

Pie Guy
2008-04-07, 09:24 PM

Meh, eye-stabbing is fine, but I know someone who wouldlight an entire village on fire, dance on the ashes, and then loot what's left.

Also he has a dragon. Every night it haunts me, with it's obvious advantages to being a human with no dragon...

That being said, I like sorcerer.

CasESenSITItiVE
2008-04-07, 09:38 PM
gotta be the bard!

not the most overpowered class in the world, but just so fun

Chronos
2008-04-07, 10:25 PM
Who can make artifacts?
Wizards can.Um, how? Last I saw, even epic characters weren't able to make artifacts.

And for other items, a wizard isn't as good at crafting as a warlock 12/chameleon 2.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-04-07, 10:28 PM
Iron Heart Warblade has turned into my favorite. Why?....9th level strike somebody with like...a gold coin then watch the expressions on everyone's face if it kills them.

I'd adore monks if they had more of the ability that swordsages prevent but as is monks hold none of the martial arts fun that I want them too (All they do is punch...and dodge. A fighter can do that with a ring of evasion and gauntlets and look cooler doing it.) If I could find a better then half-decent monk fix then it'd become my new favorite (And don't tell me Swordsage is that fix, I've read the class and don't consider it as such.)

shadowdemon_lord
2008-04-07, 11:12 PM
I'm throughly enjoying playing a Priest (basically cleric casting sans nukes (plus a few cool defensive spells), 6 skill points a level with a good social/knowledge skill list, no armor/weapons, d4 hit die, undead turning goodness). Yes, severely nerfed compared to a cleric, but quite fun to RP.

I also big giant fighter/barbarian types with prestige classes that send their strength into the stratosphere. It's fun being the guy who could punch a monk to death, actual training in unarmed combat be damned.:smallcool:

DarknessLord
2008-04-07, 11:24 PM
Sorcerer, then Rogue, but then again, I love playing all sorts of other classes.

skywalker
2008-04-08, 12:18 AM
I've never seen that variant before... O_o Mind telling where I can find it? :smallbiggrin:

Pretty sure they're talking about Page 20 of ToB, under adaptation. (Yeah, that part of the class description you never read...)

My favorites are:
1. Swordsage
2. Duskblade
T3. Cleric
T3. Sorcerer
5. Paladin

The Extinguisher
2008-04-08, 12:47 AM
Binders and me have an unhealthy relationship with one another.

But I am also enjoying my Bard/Paladin. He's just as a useful as a pure bard!

Ascension
2008-04-08, 12:58 AM
Anything with 6+INT or greater skill points. 4+INT is acceptable if I'm a human with an intelligence bonus, but to be really great it needs at least 6+INT. Precision damage dice are fun, too. I'm quite fond of the Rogue/Scout/Swift Ambusher build. I almost played a Rogue/Swashbuckler/Daring Outlaw, too. Rogue/Paladin/Shadowbane Inquisitor (Despite loss of skill points. Human will help compensate.), Factotum, and Bard/War Chanter (Again, despite skill point loss, which is almost as bad as caster level loss is for a wizard. Human makes things better, and the class skills aren't bad.) are on my to-do list. The ToB classes have fairly good skill lists, too, so the Swordsage and Warblade are up there as well. I might be persuaded to go Crusader instead of Shadowbane Inquisitor, too, though they don't get the stealth or observation skills, which is a crying shame.

Before someone chimes in with a Beguiler-as-ultimate-skill-monkey comment, I don't own PHBII, but I'm also a little miffed by the fact that they apparently horn in on the Rogue's territory while remaining an almost-full caster. This skillmonkey role ain't big enough fer the two of us!

I'm playing a sorcerer (without an INT bonus... :smallfrown:) now, and it's dreadful not having any worthwhile skills besides bluff and spellcraft. WORST. MISTAKE. EVER. This is the last time I'm playing anything with 2+INT. Last time.

asphen fox
2008-04-08, 01:14 AM
Pretty sure they're talking about Page 20 of ToB, under adaptation. (Yeah, that part of the class description you never read...)

:smallbiggrin: Guilty as charged.

Solo
2008-04-08, 01:31 AM
I'm playing a sorcerer (without an INT bonus... :smallfrown:) now, and it's dreadful not having any worthwhile skills besides bluff and spellcraft. WORST. MISTAKE. EVER. This is the last time I'm playing anything with 2+INT. Last time.

Who needs skills when you have spells?:smallamused:

Talic
2008-04-08, 01:39 AM
Really. Spells can do most things skills can do, and better. Plus, sorcerors can, at level 1, make better use of Charm than wizards, on average. This is because of a higher charisma modifier, typically.

And charm + bluff skills = win at low levels.

drengnikrafe
2008-04-08, 01:52 AM
I'd have to go with a wizard.
I play with a DM that nerfed spellcasting, so now 2nd level spells come at 2nd level, 6th level spells come at 15th level, and 7th and up are epic, and even so, the magic is still easily good enough.
I think it has less to do with anything in game, and more a personal affiliation. I've always felt, deep down, like I'm a magician of some sort at heart. But not that "Pull a rabbit out of a hat" stuff, but good magic. So I look at the wizard and the sorcerer, and the Wizard is a hard worker, and studies long and hard for his magic, and the sorcerer just knows his magic naturally. I also like the way a wizard works in game a lot, and how it can help in life (try to foresee what comes up in game enough and you get good at it in real life), but it's mostly just personal affiliation.

Ascension
2008-04-08, 08:43 AM
I'm going to get yelled at for this, probably, but... I really don't like magic all that much. It's fun at first, but it gets old fast. If you're casting no-save stuff or targeting weak saves like you're "supposed" to do, there's little-to-no risk in it. And with a sorcerer there's the additional realization "Man, if my ancestors hadn't gotten freaky with those dragons, well... my other stats aren't even good enough to get me into Bard. So yeah, I'm one inter-species relationship away from totally sucking."

Also, as for the "Magic does everything better!" thing, I haven't found any spells to boost spot checks yet. Untrained spot checks stink. My last character could've beaten any of my sorcerer's spot checks with a 2.

I just find skill monkeys to be more satisfying. You can build all sorts of fun backstories when you have enough surplus skill points to spend a couple on unimportant skills. There's generally a bit more risk involved in a skill check than in spellcasting. And at the end of the day you know that even if you aren't as effective as the casters, you aren't falling back on the easy crutch of magic to do everything for you. Whatever you did, you did by yourself, for yourself.

Solo
2008-04-08, 09:28 AM
Also, as for the "Magic does everything better!" thing, I haven't found any spells to boost spot checks yet. Untrained spot checks stink. My last character could've beaten any of my sorcerer's spot checks with a 2.

Familiars help.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-08, 10:01 AM

Anyways... Me? Swordsage, Warblade, Warlock, Ranger and Rogue. I'll play a wizard but don't expect me not to try and optimize.:smallwink: It's just so hard to actually try to be batman when playing it. :smallannoyed: Confound those small amount of spells per day!

It's at the back of the Swordsage section of the ToB. Essentially, you get spells for Maneuvers, meaning you can "cast" them over and over again. It's pretty easy to abuse, if that's what you are after. The worst I've ever done was make a Warforged MS that used alter-self in order to change into an animated wagon, and back, when traveling long diatances. Can you say "transform and roll out"?

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-08, 11:39 AM

Then you aren't looking hard enough.

Prying Eyes obviates the need for spot often enough. There are also various stacking bonuses to spot spread around, like Vision of the Omniscient Eye which actually provides a +1 spot bonus just for knowing it, and a +5 for casting.

There are enough stacking spells that I could easily buff up and have a higher spot check then any non-magiced up character. Not that I would because 100ft Mindsight is totally awesome and obviates the need most of the time.

ghost_warlock
2008-04-09, 10:25 AM
Wizard or psion (egoist) for me. I'm power-hungry. :smallamused:

Danin
2008-04-09, 11:30 AM
Personally, I'm a fan of classes that can sling their abilities around all day so I'm throwing my vote in for Binder, Warlock and most mele classes. I've never used Tomb of Battle though I am currious but the Fighter and Barbarian are two of my favorites.

Ooh, and I really like the flavor of the Shadow caster and I think its a cool concept. That being said, I finally got a chance to play one the other night at level 6... lets just say they are not my favorite class.

Factotem looks pretty cool though....

Fawsto
2008-04-09, 01:15 PM
Paladin, I can't help it, I am adicted to the class.

I also like the idea of Crusaders, mostly because they look like Paladins xD

Ascension
2008-04-09, 02:37 PM
Then you aren't looking hard enough.

Alright, so, magic does do everything better. I still don't like it.

Take Knock, for instance... The lock's DC doesn't matter a lick, just BAM, the door's open. No risk in it at all. I'd rather take a rogue and max out Open Lock. Success means nothing without a chance of failure. If you, as a DM, have a person in the party regularly casting Knock, you might as well just leave every door unlocked.

mostlyharmful
2008-04-09, 02:39 PM
Feel the wrath of my hippy power while my pet crocodile chews your leg off!!!:smallbiggrin: Druid... woooo!

Demons_eye
2008-04-09, 02:45 PM
Got to love the clerics, good evil meh, they are good for all.

Roderick_BR
2008-04-09, 03:13 PM
Paladin, I can't help it, I am adicted to the class.

I also like the idea of Crusaders, mostly because they look like Paladins xD
here, here :smallbiggrin: I'm classic. I loves me some sword&board, and "I say thee nay" roleplaying. I heard 4e will give the paladin some crusader-like abilities. I can't wait.

If I want to be boring, I can just play a batman or codzila :smalltongue: But non-broken clerics are my favorite after paladins.

hamishspence
2008-04-09, 03:18 PM
in Races and classes it said "the fighter and the ranger ganged up on the poor swashbuckler and took his stuff"

I wonder if a similar metaphor could be applied to the paladin and the crusader. Either the paladin beat the crusader and took his stuff, or, going by some of the threads here:

The crusader killed the paladin, stole his outfit, and is now walking around saying "crusader, what crusader? I'm a paladin"

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-09, 03:35 PM
If I want to be boring, I can just play a batman or codzila

I highly doubt you could, or ever have.

Malfunctioned
2008-04-09, 03:50 PM
Factotum, I just love the versatility :smallbiggrin:

The Fighter
2008-04-09, 06:29 PM
Single Classed Fighter, I've dabbled with ranger a bit but I Always, Always!!! end up going back to fighter they are my one and only, I normally go with defense and weapon specialization feats.
Also I'm normally chaotic good.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-09, 06:46 PM
Warlock, for sure.

Toliudar
2008-04-09, 07:12 PM
Clerics and druids. Even without the vaunted CoDzilla spell combos (or Natural Spell), they're still fabulous, multi-flavoured treats.

Erebus
2008-04-10, 12:26 AM
I generally like playing anything that Im in a mood of playing :) (dunno if that made any sense :P) Anyway...what I dont ever play is: bard. Other than that I've played most of the other classes...Eventhough I was always into "sneaky" characters :smallbiggrin:

At this particular moment I'm up for something that combines magic with swords (you can call me Duskblade)...I dont know if that class will be my favorite since its the first time I play it but it most certainly looks promising...

Ward.
2008-04-10, 03:43 AM
Warlocks, sometimes with a bit of ranger/ rougue (not sure if thats the correct spelling) on the side, but almost always eventually splitting into a binder or a hellfire (or both).

barbarians are also a favoutire, not having to do all that much outside of combat can be pretty relaxing when you've got a Dm that's overly pushy on the roleplaying.

I used to be a tgurge person, but the suckiness hass left a sour tast in my mouth.

The Fighter
2008-04-10, 06:51 AM
Fighter, they are simple and adapatable they can work with most any multiclass. Infact my personal favorite uses of fighter is throwing it togather with a ranger so I dont have to waist feats on dual wield or use feats to enhance archery,but in all honesty Single Class fighter is my one true love I'll play it for a while and even if i do get tired of it which is seldom since I play human I can by pass that stupid muticlass penalty if I take on a new class at a higher lvl.

Sorry about the Double post my Internet was acting Screwy and it didn't register that I posted so I had to post agian.

Doresain
2008-04-10, 11:47 AM
depending on the mood im in, i make one of three types of characters:

1) the overlord, which is usually a caster of some sort (typically a summoner or necromancer type)
2) big bad melee guy...usually a fighter or barbarian with lots of intimidate and fear-based abilities
3) the underhanded, party killer...either a bard or rogue

serok42
2008-04-10, 12:56 PM
Clerics are my favorite but Wizards are pretty nice too.

Tombstone
2008-04-10, 01:05 PM
"Monk." For sheer versatility. Not to mention im prone to screaming
"Shoryuken" on my natural 20's.

Curmudgeon
2008-04-10, 01:09 PM
Rogue. It's about the versatility. You can play as a straight skill monkey, a sneak attack powerhouse, or an expert with all things magical.

My favorite character's a Rogue/Cleric. There's a useful synergy there, with the Cleric's good saves exactly matching the Rogue's weak points; plus there are enough domain granted powers that you can pick a couple that will nicely complement whatever type of Rogue you want to play.