PDA

View Full Version : Feats/Spells for Sorcerer/Assassin Gestalt?

MelkorsHalo
2008-04-06, 07:49 PM
hey everyone. i'm going to be starting a solo campaign for a player, and she wanted help with her character. She's going to be a Sorcerer 10//Rogue 5/Assassin 5. She's only mildly experienced in the game, and wanted to play more than we do with our usual group, so i set this up. on to stats:

Race: Fey'ri (LA waived, won't break things terribly much in a solo, i'm thinking)[Races of faerun 118, for those of you wondering.]
Stats: Str 11 Dex 18 Con 12 Int 16 Wis 16 Cha 18 (after racial and level bonuses)

I've given sorcerers bonus feats like wizards, and am allowing metamagic/heritage/reserve feats to be taken. so i need feats at these levels, sorcerer bonus in parentheses.
1:()
3:
(5):
6:
9:
(10):

I also need spells for both sides. Recommendations for up to 5th level sorcerer, and 3rd level assassin spells. Spells known are as so:
Sorcerer:
5th: 1
4th: 2
3rd: 3
2nd: 4
1st: 5
0: 9

Assassin:
3rd: 2
2nd: 3
1st: 4

Race/class aren't subject to change, she's quite stubborn there. Feat and spell selection help only, if you please. I have access to pretty much all books, dragon compendium, no 3rd party stuff. Thanks for any help anyone's willing to give.

valadil
2008-04-06, 08:06 PM
Feats:

1 Spellcasting prodigy
3 Sculpt spell
5 Heighten spell
6 Empower spell
9 Rapid metamagic
10 Quicken spell

Sorcerer spells:

1 Ray of enfeeblement, shield, true casting (C. Mage), Magic missile, ???
2 False life, glitterdust, mirror image, baleful transposition, scorching ray
3 Greater Mage armor, melf's unicorn arrow, stinking cloud, dispel
4 Wrack (c. divine), confusion
5 Freezing fog

Don't know assassin spells off the top of my head. Wraithstrike is pretty angry. Maybe that with arcane strike in case the character ever needs to melee?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-06, 08:09 PM
If it's a solo campaign, I think it's safe enough to let her choose whatever strikes her fancy. Since there's no other players to argue about rules, you can also make up semi-broken things and bend rules if it will be more fun.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-04-06, 09:12 PM
May I make a suggestion?

You can do pretty much everything a Sorcerer/Assassin can do, except Death Attack and Sneak Attack, with a straight Beguiler.

As a Gestalt build, your proposed build is fairly weak. Sure, you're a skillmonkey, and you are an Arcane Caster, but you have no Charisma synergy with your other classes, you have massive MAD (requiring nearly every stat to some degree), and you have no ability to go into melee or (far more importantly) heal yourself.

May I make a suggestion?

Beguiler (PhB2)//Warblade (ToB)

Advantages: Beguiler gets all the fun stuff from the Sorcerer spell list, plus Iron Heart Surge, D12 HD, ALL THREE good saves, full BAB, and all the fun things you can do as a Warblade. Charisma becomes a dump stat.

OR

Warlock(CompArcane)//Crusader (ToB)

Advantages: Not as much a skillmonkey, but with being able to take 10 on UMD checks, you can use all the toys a sorcerer can without needing to make any rolls, and all the toys a Cleric can, and all the toys a Druid can. Crusaders have no problems healing themselves, which is a major bonus. Furthermore, you get D10 HD, full BAB, good Will and Fort, (and this time, you get your Charisma to Will and one other save of choice with Dark One's Luck, so go with your Reflex to boost), all the awsome melee a Crusader brings to the table, with Warlock being your ranged blasting ability and magical utility. This one really doesn't need to be a skillmonkey, he just blows up or smashes everything in his path. He can even be sneaky with Walk Unseen and a few other abilities.

MelkorsHalo
2008-04-06, 09:37 PM
thanks everybody. i will pass along these suggestions.

Shneekey, i am intrigued by yours. I think she might like the warlock/crusader combo. i'll see what she says.

Shovah
2008-04-07, 11:56 AM
Going to throw in my support for the Warlock//Crusader build. Or Warlock//Anything, but Crusader should work well.
Basically, Fey'ri = yes.

And though it might help(and be easy in a solo compaign, go easy on the rules bending. Even if she's mildly experienced, it's probably best to keep her going as close to the rules as possible - or atleast as close as you usually keep your full-party games.

Shovah
2008-04-07, 11:57 AM
Going to throw in my support for the Warlock//Crusader build. Or Warlock//Anything, but Crusader should work well.
Basically, Fey'ri Warlock = yes.

And though it might help(and be easy in a solo compaign, go easy on the rules bending. Even if she's mildly experienced, it's probably best to keep her going as close to the rules as possible - or atleast as close as you usually keep your full-party games.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-04-07, 07:42 PM
Alternately, go as a Warforged Sorcerer//Warblade and pick up the Repair Damage line as spells known. Make sure to switch out your familiar for the ability to do spontanious metamagic. You won't need Crusader for the healing, with Repair Damage line, and the Warblade gives you fun toys. Synergy works better with Wizard (since Warblades get Int to some fun things), but if you don't want to deal with the spellbook, go Sorcerer.

You get two out of three good saves (Reflex still sucks, but not a lot of 'you loose' stuff comes from Reflex, it's mostly blasty damage, other than Resilient Sphere), D12 HD, and all the combat awsome-tastical-ness of Warblade.

PrC Sorcerer into something as early as you can. Abjurant Champion can be entered after level 5 (with the price of a single feat) and lets you pull up Shield as a swift action and gives +5 to the AC it grants, so you can wield a 2h weapon and do a charger build (there's a Tiger Claw maneuver which lets you make a full attack on a charge if you make a jump check, which you will be doing anyways for Leap Attack). A one-level dip into Spellsword will net you the ability to run around in Mithral Chain Shirt without needing the Twilight enchantment.