PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy in OoTS

Ertier
2008-04-06, 07:56 PM
Final Fantasy references are everywhere in this comic... well not everywhere... I hope... Anyway I was playing through FF-IX when I realized that Durkon has the same accents as the dwarves in that game. And the marrige thing too.

Other References from Various Titles:
FF Series- Airships
FF6- "Treasure Hunter" Elan
FF7- Opening to "DCF" , Xykon= Funny Lich Sephiroth
FF8- See above

NerfTW
2008-04-06, 07:59 PM
Those are all more like "Fantasy tropes" than references to Final Fantasy.

Except the airship/FF6 reference comic, obviously.

Tengu
2008-04-06, 08:04 PM
Final Fantasy references are everywhere in this comic... well not everywhere... I hope... Anyway I was playing through FF-IX when I realized that Durkon has the same accents as the dwarves in that game. And the marrige thing too.

The "Scottish dwarf" archetype was born somewhere in the earlier editions of DND and is much older than FF9. The only real FF reference was, as mentioned, the part with the cast of FF6. Which was a brilliant tribute.

Fawkes
2008-04-08, 12:18 PM
On the first page of DCF, there's a reference to "those video game RPGs with giant swords and oddly effeminate male leads" with a picture of what appears to be a cross between Tidus and Cloud.

The Hop Goblin
2008-04-08, 07:08 PM
The "Scottish dwarf" archetype was born somewhere in the earlier editions of DND and is much older than FF9. The only real FF reference was, as mentioned, the part with the cast of FF6. Which was a brilliant tribute.

Like 30 years earlier. Other than blatant spoofs of the Final Fantasy series, everything else is primarily D&D/Pop Culture.

Saddly the OP's opinions are reflected by many in generalizations of D&D. I once told someone that I play D&D, infact, GM. I was accused of playing a game that was "ripping off Final Fantasy and WoW". :smallsigh:

Barbolanero
2008-04-08, 09:07 PM
Like 30 years earlier. Other than blatant spoofs of the Final Fantasy series, everything else is primarily D&D/Pop Culture.

Saddly the OP's opinions are reflected by many in generalizations of D&D. I once told someone that I play D&D, infact, GM. I was accused of playing a game that was "ripping off Final Fantasy and WoW". :smallsigh:

The part about the rip off is about the saddest thing that I ever heard! Oh my, do this people don't think before they talk?

NENAD
2008-04-08, 10:06 PM
Other References from Various Titles:
FF Series- Airships
FF6- "Treasure Hunter" Elan
FF7- Opening to "DCF" , Xykon= Funny Lich Sephiroth

Don't know what "DCF" is, but Xykon doesn't equate to Sephiroth in anyway except that they're both overpowered villains.

FujinAkari
2008-04-08, 10:10 PM
Don't know what "DCF" is, but Xykon doesn't equate to Sephiroth in anyway except that they're both overpowered villains.

Dungeon Crawlin' Fools