PDA

View Full Version : Improved flyby with rider.

Admiral Squish
2008-04-06, 10:08 PM
I recently made a halfling ranger character who rode a medium-sized eagle into battle and rained arrows from above onto his foes. His mount had improved flyby, but there was quite the debate as to whether that would allow him to avoid AoOs as well. How would you rule on this issue?

Parvum
2008-04-06, 10:13 PM
Improved flyby let's the mount avoid AoOs when attacking. Nothing about the rider. Who was doing the attacks? You, right? Without ride-by-attack, that's a hefty penalty for archery when moving.

tyckspoon
2008-04-06, 10:17 PM
I think both mount and rider would avoid movement-related AoO's from the target.. more specifically, only the mount would draw them in the first place, since it's the creature actually doing the movement that draws them, and Improved Flyby Attack negates that. You'd still suffer the AoO for using a ranged weapon in melee if you didn't have the sense to switch to a lance or something, tho.

Admiral Squish
2008-04-06, 11:27 PM
Improved flyby let's the mount avoid AoOs when attacking. Nothing about the rider. Who was doing the attacks? You, right? Without ride-by-attack, that's a hefty penalty for archery when moving.

Mounted archery. No penalty for single-move, half for anything more than that. With a speed of 80 feet, my birdie can fly in and fly out easily on one move.

As for archery in melee on a flyby, I'm not really sure how it would work. Why couldn't he simply fire before and after the attack?

thubby
2008-04-06, 11:56 PM
most often the mount's anything is irrelevant. horses don't have spring atk, but they can trample via rider. i assume the inverse is true.