PDA

View Full Version : DM'ing a quick rogues-only adventure?

E_Samurai
2008-04-06, 10:58 PM
Hey all;

One of the players for my campaign can't make it to our next game, so I've taken suggestions for a one-night "flashback" adventure, dealing with an event in one of the characters' pasts. The one I've decided to go with is his mission to steal a prototype airship from a top-secret development facility, a bit like the legendary real-world "Skunkworks".

However, this is on very short notice - the game is on Tuesday. I have a few ideas in mind for the game, but I'd like a hand developing the security system of the facility - what sort of security systems would be in place in a high-magic development lab? I'm looking to give this game a very "secret agent" style stealth feel.

I'd also like to create a number of situations where the group temporarily splits up - one group disables a security station while the other sneaks in, that sort of thing. Any suggestions?

And what would an airship factory look like, anyways?

Zincorium
2008-04-06, 11:18 PM
If you want it to seem authentic, why not base it off the security at the real Groom Lake facility?

Large section of open, but rough hillsides patrolled at intervals by mobile security forces (light cavalry), with fences or walls at points along the way. Have magical surveillance, but if your players aren't masterminds, just give them an item that will keep any overlooking mages from seeing them as long as they follow certain 'protocols' on the way in (stay low to the ground, avoid checkpoints).

In the facility itself, have a large guard contingent who are constantly on watch. Spot and listen checks shouldn't be all that good, after several hours it's impossible to be perfectly observant and it takes a mistake to alert anything to what's up.

Any detection will result in a lockdown of the facility and all guards becoming active and armed.

As for what it'd look like? I imagine long rows of spires jutting up into the sky with suspension bridges and cranes bristling off of them. The airship is lifted into the workings and then is magically buoyant so that it can be worked on in the condition that it'll fly. A deep pit sunk into the earth directly under each area contains the smaller fabrication shops and material's storage.

Solo
2008-04-07, 12:06 AM
The facility should be guarded by constructs, undead, and plants.

Funkyodor
2008-04-07, 03:54 AM
Hmmm, think in two stages. Style one defense for physical, and another for magical. For physical you might lean toward a large warehouse that has a retractable roof. You'll need an area for workers access/living areas separate from guards access/barracks. Fence patroled by dogs at intervals, and most definately some form quick mounted responders. And have the warehouse lead-enriched to prevent scrying/clairvoyance spells from passing within.

For the magical defenses, house some wizards in a Posh Barracks attachment for viewing with crystal balls, maintaining Anticipate Teleport spells, and warning of flying/invisible approachers. Having players worried about the casters is nice, but make sure you write down what their contracts would entail, and how involved they want to make themselves - Make them Government Servants, instead of Soldiers.

Give the patrols items of Message spell so they can communicate with a HQ region in the Barracks. Done. It has flaws that can be exploited through several areas, let the players figure out how to proceed. Leak some intel about the Wizards, but don't be too specific. Give them the patrol routes. Tell them that magically viewing the inside was impossible, but not why. Standard DM stuff.

Chronos
2008-04-07, 02:30 PM
The facility should be guarded by constructs, undead, and plants.Well, sure, if you want to make it easy for the rogues. In fact, those monsters might be even easier than other things with similarly low Spot scores, since they'll discourage the characters from trying something suicidal like fighting guards.

Actually, construct guards are probably a good idea, since the same sorts of folks who make airships would probably make constructs (artificers, if you have them, or crafting-focused wizards). But be sure to include something with decent senses, too... Dogs can be annoying.