PDA

View Full Version : Playing multiple campaigns

The Cats
2008-04-07, 12:21 AM
In your opinion, is this not a good idea? I'm talking about PbP mostly here.
I'd imagine it would get kind of hard to keep track of all the information coming at you from two or more campaigns, and it'd seem like you'd run the risk of accidentally posting Fred's response in John's campaign. (Of course using the same character in more than one campaign is out of the question, unless it's like time travel or something)

So, your thoughts: Playing multiple campaigns: Are the complications worth the entertainment?

Solo
2008-04-07, 12:22 AM
If you can do well in multiple classes at school, you can do well in multiple campaigns online.

Nebo_
2008-04-07, 12:24 AM
If you can do well in multiple classes at school, you can do well in multiple campaigns online.

QFT. You would only risk posting in the wrong game if you weren't reading the other posts, which would kind of defeat the purpose of PbP.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-07, 12:24 AM
Yes, especially with PbP. You get so much delay between things happening, that for me to stay intent on whats happening, I need to have multiple campaigns going on.

Of course, as I post this, I have 3 forums, the TV, and Youtube all on at once, not mentioning the BoED I have minimized, so take my advice as you will. :smallwink:

Cheesegear
2008-04-07, 12:25 AM
Of course. But only if you can handle those complications. If your DM say, keeps everyone's character sheets at the end. Then it's manageable.
But, you should rarely - if ever - make the mistake of playing a character when you're supposed to be playing 'the other one'. A simple glance at your character sheet should remind you of who you're playing.

Unless of course, you copy your character sheet, and your second character has the same name, class, alignment, background and equipment as the first one.

The Cats
2008-04-07, 12:31 AM
Coolio. Looks like I'll be looking for a new campaign to join soon!
I'm thinking BARBARIAN! RUHRUHRUH!

crimson77
2008-04-07, 12:32 AM
So, your thoughts: Playing multiple campaigns: Are the complications worth the entertainment?

I think it depends upon multiple factors.

The amount of free time that one has to play
The role that you will play (PC vs. DM)
The number of posts that each game requires per week (or day)
Commitment to each of the campaigns (strongly committed to posting vs. only will post when campaign is interesting)
How well you can remember things that are occurring in the game
How much effort you spend on each post.
Experience as a player/DM

I am sure there are other things that matter as well.

From my experience, I know that I cannot DM more than one campaign at a time (Given my free time). However, I have had a few players that have participated in multiple campaigns without a problem (both as players and as DMs).

If you are asking for advice, then assess your free time. If you are playing in one campaign then double the time you spend on that campaign. If you think that is a doable amount of time for you to spend on two campaigns then go for it, try out another campaign.

drengnikrafe
2008-04-07, 01:54 AM
I've watched you post, Cats, and I can say this much:

You're really good at keeping OOC and IC knowledge completely seperate. You should be able to just as easily keep IC1 and IC2 knowledge seperate, so you'll have no problems in the RP section. Also, as you probably noticed, somebody in our campaign has only posted 3 or 4 things while us other three have posted lots of stuff, so you shouldn't have any problem really with the "falling behind" unless you center yourself as the leader of the party, and I think I got that forced upon me by my 14 CHA (plus I'm okay with it) (you know, I think half this post belongs in the OOC section, but what the heck).

Go for it, Cats.

TheThan
2008-04-07, 02:06 AM
For Dming I sick with one. I’ve tried Dming multiple games and couldn’t do it. So now I stick with one, and I’m having a blast. It takes me a day or two worth of time to come up with encounters and to progress the plot forward. So trying to deal with two or three is pretty much a not a good idea. Since I have other hobbies outside of dnd, I wanna be able to enjoy those as well.

But if you think you can handle it, by all means go for it.

If your talking about being a player and not a DM well then, there shouldn’t be a problem as long as you can keep them straight and not get ‘em mixed up.

valadil
2008-04-07, 11:57 AM
There's nothing wrong with multiple campaigns. Just make sure you have enough free time. Back in college I had no ability to say no to my DMs and ended up doing three games a week one semester. Not only did it eat up too much time, I stopped having fun with the games too.

When I'm bored I like to let my mind wander. Often it heads in the direction of the characters I'm playing. While day dreaming I come up with what I'm going to do next game. Playing in three games forced me to divide that day dreaming among too many characters and none of them ended up having anything interesting to do. These days I like doing one game a week, sometimes two.

kjones
2008-04-07, 01:51 PM
I'm currently running two six-player campaigns, hypothetically once a week though this usually works out to more like twice every three weeks. The most important thing is being able to manage the time commitment; don't let either campaign suffer at the expense of the other. Quality over quantity. Call off a game every once in a while if you have to; it's worth it if it means the games you do run will be better for it.

Since you're talking about PbP, it will probably be easier - just make sure the players are clear on your possible time constraints.

kjones
2008-04-07, 01:55 PM
I'm currently running two six-player campaigns, hypothetically once a week though this usually works out to more like twice every three weeks. The most important thing is being able to manage the time commitment; don't let either campaign suffer at the expense of the other. Quality over quantity. Call off a game every once in a while if you have to; it's worth it if it means the games you do run will be better for it.

Since you're talking about PbP, it will probably be easier - just make sure the players are clear on your possible time constraints.