PDA

View Full Version : Disgaea

Tengu
2008-04-07, 07:54 AM
A question - do your characters killed with panels changing colours count for the ally kill counter? What about exploded prinnies, or people killed by exploding prinnies? I'm asking since I want to get the good ending, which requires no ally kills.

Also, this game rules. I haven't seen one with that many options in a long, looong time. Not to mention the humour, the great music and the graphics being a living proof that sprites are not dead yet.

Ah, since I'm still in the seventh episode, remember to put plot spoilers in tags.

Eakin
2008-04-07, 08:14 AM
Gotta love the Disgaea series. I'm pretty sure the first two things you mentioned don't count as ally kills for plot purposes but the third might.

Tengu
2008-04-07, 01:47 PM
One more thing: what's up with scouts and rogues? Scouts look like guys and rogues look like girls, but they sound the other way around... Were their sound sets swapped by mistake during the translation?

Rutee
2008-04-07, 02:41 PM
Scouts just have.. what's that term Bluish Wolf loves? DFC? Thieves are quite obviously male, IMO. But I'm not sure about the Ally Kills questions, honestly. Try not tossing ally prinnies? I know it's tempting, but.. :P

You know, I still think the cutest character design in the series goes to the Samurai F from Makai Kingdom.

Tengu
2008-04-07, 02:49 PM
NPC thieves have female names...

And I haven't tossed any prinnies so far, apart from one to test how it works after which I loaded the game. I just accidentally got some of my characters killed by tile colour changing once, and wondered will that make me see the supposedly much less satisfying neutral ending instead.

Yeah, the game's full of cute. Bound to happen when 90% of characters are loli/shota or very nonthreateningly-looking chibi monsters.

Drascin
2008-04-07, 03:39 PM
What did I tell you, Tengu? Ain't it awesome? And wait, it only gets better from here :smallbiggrin:

NPC thieves have female names...

NPC almost anything will have female names. Just wait 'til you get male-named Nekomata, and then you can be squicked. :smalltongue:

And I haven't tossed any prinnies so far, apart from one to test how it works after which I loaded the game. I just accidentally got some of my characters killed by tile colour changing once, and wondered will that make me see the supposedly much less satisfying neutral ending instead.

If you want the real real good ending, I seem to remember it's not "no ally kills", it's "no kills" whatsoever. Or that might be in Disgaea 2 instead. Stupid memory. I know I never threw a prinny or killed one of my people and I got the normal ending at first.

Though if Geo deaths count, then yeah, I did cause a few deaths of my own people due to mistakes... :smallredface: so maybe it was that. Man, it's been way too long since last time I beat the game. I should take a Shogun and brutality my way through a New Game+ to check which is it.

Yeah, the game's full of cute. Bound to happen when 90% of characters are loli/shota or very nonthreateningly-looking chibi monsters.

The fact that Flonne is around also helps a lot - seriously, the amount of cute released by that girl is about infinite.

Tengu
2008-04-07, 03:43 PM
NPC almost anything will have female names. Just wait 'til you get male-named Nekomata, and then you can be squicked. :smalltongue:

I don't want to think about that...
Anyway. I think that monsters have female or male names at random, but people have names corresponding to their actual gender. Plus, thieves have female faces and scouts have male ones, at least to me.
Boobs don't matter here for obvious reasons - in Disgaea, if it's not a succubus or a catgirl, it's flat like a carpet.

If you want the real real good ending, I seem to remember it's not "no ally kills", it's "no kills" whatsoever.

How is that even possible? You need to kill enemies to finish maps...
And if I had to guess myself, I'd say Geo deaths do not count as you do not cause them directly - you don't get experience for them, after all.

Xefas
2008-04-07, 03:51 PM
Yes, I believe my first run through, my only Ally death was caused by a panel change color, and I didn't get the good ending.

It's really a wonderful game. I played until I got both secret characters, killed the super secret ultimate boss of death, got all the super torquoise-named legendary items, got a character to level 9999, and saw all the endings. I put about 110 hours into it over a single Spring Break; definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

Tengu
2008-04-07, 03:56 PM
Hmm, snap. I'll play through the game two times, then. Or more, to see the other endings too.

bluish_wolf
2008-04-07, 09:21 PM
A question - do your characters killed with panels changing colours count for the ally kill counter? What about exploded prinnies, or people killed by exploding prinnies? I'm asking since I want to get the good ending, which requires no ally kills.

Environment kills don't count as ally murders. This includes geo symbol destruction, prinny tossing, prinny explosions, causing an ally to die by throwing a damage geo symbol onto a color they are standing on, the Scout's dark cannon, etc.

So, if you got screwed over by a geo symbol, you should still get the good ending.

Despite what Rutee says, the Scouts in Disgaea 1 look male to me. See look: http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=001750000tx6.png

That's a rather masculine looking torso, not to mention the face.

The Extinguisher
2008-04-07, 09:27 PM
I love these games.

So very much.

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-07, 09:29 PM
Original Disgaea is coming to DS. Finally, a system I have.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-07, 09:32 PM
I beat the second one (maybe the good ending, I don't know, I guess I'll have to play through again! :smalltongue: ) but I can't find the first one anywhere :smallfrown: . Luckily for all who haven't gotten to play hour of darkness, there's already a psp port and they're making one for the ds too! Yay, dood!

edit: ninja'd dood!

Terraoblivion
2008-04-07, 09:51 PM
I always saw scouts as being male. Actually as i recall i saw thieves to be male as well. I might be wrong though.

Also i don't think geo panels count for ally kills, but i would avoid it just to be on the safe side. I don't know about prinnies as i never used them, though i doubt thrown prinnies count as kills.

And the game is definitely cute. All the characters are just using it or at least most of them. The cutest in my opinion is Laharl and his completely pathetic attempts at being seen as a big, scary overlord when he is just a whiny brat. And Etna is of course awesome, especially in how she enables Laharl to achieve excesses of being silly.

tyckspoon
2008-04-07, 10:00 PM
And the game is definitely cute. All the characters are just using it or at least most of them. The cutest in my opinion is Laharl and his completely pathetic attempts at being seen as a big, scary overlord when he is just a whiny brat. And Etna is of course awesome, especially in how she enables Laharl to achieve excesses of being silly.

He actually is a big, scary overlord, especially by the tail-end of the storyline and in non-game adaptations of it where they don't have to start him at level 1. But even when he's demonstrably the strongest thing in the Netherworld, he can't get anybody to take him seriously. It's cute.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-07, 10:17 PM
I know what he turns into. But really even as a big, scary overlord he is just a whiny brat with all the leadership skills of a six year old. It is understandable why people don't take him seriously.

Rutee
2008-04-07, 10:48 PM
He actually is a big, scary overlord, especially by the tail-end of the storyline and in non-game adaptations of it where they don't have to start him at level 1. But even when he's demonstrably the strongest thing in the Netherworld, he can't get anybody to take him seriously. It's cute.

To be fair, Zetta isn't entitled to take Laharl seriously. He's /the/ most Bad-ass freaking overlord :P

Drascin
2008-04-08, 12:58 AM
How is that even possible? You need to kill enemies to finish maps...
And if I had to guess myself, I'd say Geo deaths do not count as you do not cause them directly - you don't get experience for them, after all.

I seem to not have explained myself properly. If my previous theory/recollection is right, it's not that you have to not kill your people, it's that none of them (except thrown prinnies, as they are utterly expendable) should die under whatever circumstance. So, if you have had a few casualties already, you're heading straight for the normal ending. As said, do not worry. Re-beating the game with a new game+ is extremely easy and should let you have zero deaths, ally or otherwise, and let you be totally sure.

To be fair, Zetta is entitled to not taking Laharl seriously. He's /the/ most Bad-ass freaking overlord :P

Well, yeah, but he's Zetta. He's entitled to whetever the hell he wants :smalltongue:.

Most other people, however, should really treat Laharl with a bit more deference, given he can basically disintegrate them at will. Seriously, if the kid had actually been as evil and merciless as he likes to see himself, instead of just a whiny and selfish brat with a bit of goodness at the bottom, there'd have been a lot more deaths of NPCs around :smallamused:

Cubey
2008-04-08, 01:05 AM
I'm not into shota so I'll not comment whether Laharl being, physically and emotionally, a little kid who can still kick my arse, cute or not. Instead, I'll provide a comment from my mother as she saw Disgaea in action:

This little angel doesn't look very sharp-witted.

She's talking about Flonne, of course. I found it hilarious.

Shazam! Who da man?!

... Dood.

Behold_the_Void
2008-04-08, 01:23 AM
Ally kills must be direct, Geo effects, prinnies and the like are "neutral" and don't count.

Nippon Ichi owns my soul quite a bit, I'm rather fond of their games and Disgaea is my favorite.

As a note, Disgaea 2's good ending is significantly easier to get, you pretty much have to be trying to get a bad ending for it to actually happen.

Drascin
2008-04-08, 01:40 AM
I'm not into shota so I'll not comment whether Laharl being, physically and emotionally, a little kid who can still kick my arse, cute or not. Instead, I'll provide a comment from my mother as she saw Disgaea in action:

She's talking about Flonne, of course. I found it hilarious.

Well, she is right. Flonne is a quintessential low-Wis high-Cha character, after all. About as perceptive as a brick, and with wits to match, but with enough empathy and persuasion to keep demons from outright killing her and convincing freaking mindless zombies to fight for her. She gets a couple flashes of insight, ala Fighter, but nothing else. She's still adorable in her blind optimism, and I like her immensely :smallbiggrin:

As a note, Disgaea 2's good ending is significantly easier to get, you pretty much have to be trying to get a bad ending for it to actually happen.

And we're all thankful for that. At least I am, given my high liking for Rozalin :smallwink:

bluish_wolf
2008-04-08, 02:24 AM
Flonne is like a flower. Pretty, yet simple. Really, quite simple.

Cubey
2008-04-08, 02:53 AM
Well, she is right.

I found it hilarious because it's true.

Tengu
2008-04-08, 12:00 PM
The thing that annoys me is that you have to name each and every ally you create, without a "random" option - I'm bad at conjuring up names for characters, and I created quite a bit of them (although some of them are on my Reject Pile and I no longer use them, but even without the "Power Trio" not in the commas] it's still 15 characters). Good that I always have a handy forum full of names nearby!

Any ideas what was that embarrassing thing Laharl was into in episode 5? Bondage? Crossdressing? Collecting Pokemans? Noodle Incident-ish thing we will never learn about?

bluish_wolf
2008-04-08, 12:47 PM
The thing that annoys me is that you have to name each and every ally you create, without a "random" option - I'm bad at conjuring up names for characters, and I created quite a bit of them (although some of them are on my Reject Pile and I no longer use them, but even without the "Power Trio" not in the commas] it's still 15 characters). Good that I always have a handy forum full of names nearby!

Any ideas what was that embarrassing thing Laharl was into in episode 5? Bondage? Crossdressing? Collecting Pokemans? Noodle Incident-ish thing we will never learn about?

When you make a character, just go to "OK" without actually entering in a name. The game assigns the character a random one.

Behold_the_Void
2008-04-08, 01:37 PM
Regarding the embarrassing picture, it's much like the noodle incident in which it is left to the player's imagination. However, some fans have made some speculations...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/Behold_the_Void/LaharlinDress.jpg

Note that this is incorrect in that he appears aware of the picture as it is taken - in the actual series, Laharl wasn't aware of the existence of the photograph until it was revealed to him.

Rutee
2008-04-08, 03:16 PM
I can't find any artbook scans of the Scout, unfortunately, so whether it's a DFC or male will just have to be a mystery. I took them as female though.

Am I the only one here who found Makai Kingdom to be their favorite entry in the NIS series? I mean Zetta was just so gloriously awesome. He was a magnificent bastard (Uncapitalized; He's not a manipulative genius, but he's completely awesome in his bastardom just the same). I mean, he's so.. confident, even as a book, with lines like "Go forth, brave peons, and kick ass in my name!" and "Come, loyal minions, and lay waste to this land!" I love how technically 'you' are just the commander of his forces, terrifying as they are XD

Xefas
2008-04-08, 03:59 PM

I liked the naming option, personally. Being able to name all my guys after characters I've gamed as or with in various roleplay systems really gave them a personalized touch, I feel. Of course, I saved the name "Xefas" for my level 9999 Flamberg.

I always assumed it was Laharl crossdressing in bondage while saving orphans from a burning building. He wouldn't want anyone seeing him do good deeds, would he?

Drascin
2008-04-08, 04:04 PM

I started having as many problems at naming people as you, but in the end I just started taking from everything around - games, anime, even nicknames from people at forums, you name it. My Dragon was named Tiamat, my four Ronins had the names me and my cousins (since they happen to be girls, theirs fit better, but whatever, it's not like mine was not pretty gender-neutral in the first place) had used in a OA game, my Angels were named Armisael and Zeruel, and my Skulls were in my head actually brothers and shared very alike names. I ended up having a lot of fun with naming people :smalltongue:.

I can't find any artbook scans of the Scout, unfortunately, so whether it's a DFC or male will just have to be a mystery. I took them as female though.

I bring scans of the Scout from the artbook, if they would help ^^. Also another of the Thief, whose identity seemed to be in discussion a few posts ago:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u262/drascin/dis-scout.jpg http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u262/drascin/dis-rogue.jpg

I'd say the scout looks male enough to me

Tengu
2008-04-08, 04:32 PM
Well, they look male and female respectively to me. Which reinforces me in my idea of voicesets swapped by mistake - how do these classes sound in Disgaea 2?

I wonder... this game has 9999 levels, but what is the level at which you are actually supposed to finish it, without overgrinding or fighting the incredibly strong optional bosses?

Also, I think that Laharl is the most accurate image of a kid his age ever created in a video game, personality-wise. Well, a kid his apparent age at least.

I finished episode 8 recently. Sniff.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-08, 05:02 PM
You are supposed to finish it at less than level 100. At least that was what i did and in my new game+ no less. The extremely high levels are for the extra material and nonstandard endings. If i recall then one of the optional bosses is next to impossible to beat before level 6000. Never tried it though.

And can you remind me which one is episode 8? The exact episode numbers are running together for me.

Tengu
2008-04-08, 05:10 PM
Reincarnation. The one with the red moon.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-08, 05:17 PM
Ahhh...that explains your reaction. That episode is awesome and the point where the game goes beyond just being comedy in the plot. That still dominates though.

Hunter Noventa
2008-04-08, 05:27 PM
Well, they look male and female respectively to me. Which reinforces me in my idea of voicesets swapped by mistake - how do these classes sound in Disgaea 2?

I wonder... this game has 9999 levels, but what is the level at which you are actually supposed to finish it, without overgrinding or fighting the incredibly strong optional bosses?

Also, I think that Laharl is the most accurate image of a kid his age ever created in a video game, personality-wise. Well, a kid his apparent age at least.

I finished episode 8 recently. Sniff.

The final boss of Disgaea 1 is only level 100, so you can probably beat it int he 70s with decent gear, if you don't mind losing a few characters.

Behold_the_Void
2008-04-08, 05:27 PM
Red Moon is one of my favorite chapters and one of the better episodes in the anime, which was fairly lackluster in the middle chunk but quite good at the end.

Laharl is about 1,300, Etna's about 1,400, and Flonne's about 1,500. If you determine years as centuries in Demon time, Laharl's about 13, Etna's 14 and Flonne's 15 which actually seems to work really well.

Tengu
2008-04-08, 05:44 PM
There's an anime? Now that you mention it, I think I've heard about it at some point in the past... don't tell me that it has the same number of episodes and the same topics for them as the game.

Which reminds me... I love Etna's post episode trailers! So far the one about Flonne turning into a monster was probably the most amusing (with the cooking one coming next in line), though I couldn't help but grin when I've heard the name "Mobile Girl Etna".

I'd be extremely amused how the trailer to episode 9 turns out to be true, but Wikipedia and TV Tropes ganged up on me and shoved a spoiler about that down my throat. :smallannoyed:

Terraoblivion
2008-04-08, 05:49 PM
Pretty much all of them are great. I also liked the cooking show one where she was arguing about how the prinnies were to be the primary ingredient. Of course it is Etna and she is awesome, so it should be no surprise, but still. It is one my favorite parts of the game actually.

Tengu
2008-04-08, 06:01 PM
What is the point, apart from meaniness, to make a soup from prinnies anyway? They are souls trapped inside penguin costumes - not really made from meat, are they? It'd be like cooking a shoe.

And now I remember certain fragments from Hogfather.

I like the item descriptions too - most of them are wonderfully tongue-in-the-cheek.

Rutee
2008-04-08, 06:06 PM
Because prinnies don't have rights dood. Why /not/ make soup out of them?

Prinnies deserve rights too, dood! We should strike, dood!

Tengu
2008-04-08, 06:14 PM
It's funny how the single prinny I'm using (I put the other two on the People I Don't Level Reject List some time ago, along with other people) has better attack then most of my fighters.

And prinnies have one right - the right to be funny. Which they use indiscriminately.

Also, to quote Cubey:
"Disgaea shows like no other game how the Japanese look at casters - male mage is a weirdo in strange clothes and female mage is a meido."
Anyone else thinks there's something very slightly creepy about this cheerful, carefree giggle that accompanies a mage raining painful destruction on her enemies?

Terraoblivion
2008-04-08, 06:29 PM
The mages are awesome exactly because they are so cute. Because really, who expects cute little, giggly girls to be some of the most awesomely destructive beings in the world? Well apart from everybody who relies on TV tropes or has watched too much entertainment of course.

And all you prinnies are fired. Try to get your redemption now.

Tengu
2008-04-08, 06:36 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/kerai/1141245793838.jpg

And I agree, but I think archers are cuter.

Eakin
2008-04-08, 11:45 PM
Your spoiler is coming up blank for me.

Beating the game's main storyline isn't that tough, as people have said it can be done around level 100. After that, Winged Slayer and the Cave of Ordeals turn your characters into crazy power-leveling machines. Once you have the right gear it's pretty easy to go from level 1 to 1000 in half an hour after you reincarnate. One of the things I liked about Disgaea 2 is that they changed the weapons so that swords didn't so blatantly outclass everything else.

DarknessLord
2008-04-09, 12:14 AM
I love this game, I'm also really excited about the DS port of the PSP port, as I don't have a psp, I'll now be able to play Etna mode!

Why make Prinny soup?
Simple, because you want to heat up their ordinance pouches and get one to go off and set the rest off for a big boom of course!

But, Yeah, spoiler not working.

Also, nothing is cuter then Flonne's sprite in Disgaea II (they might use the same one in Phantom Brave and/or Makai Kingdom, but I'm not sure...), plus it really can transform into a space monster, so that's even better!

bluish_wolf
2008-04-09, 02:31 AM
What is the point, apart from meaniness, to make a soup from prinnies anyway? They are souls trapped inside penguin costumes - not really made from meat, are they? It'd be like cooking a shoe.

I thought the prinnies were being used as a broth. Also, I'm sure some people cook shoes in the Netherworld. This is Hell we are talking about.

Jube
2008-04-09, 05:14 AM
Hopefully this doesn't come off too rude but I'm just kind'a suprised with all the misinformation in this thread.

Almost all the questions could'a been answered on two seconds at www.gamefaqs.com and yet there's still a lott'a people giving guestimate answers?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/589678/26230

8.02 About Ally Kills
---------------------

What are Ally Kills? Quite simply it is when you *deliberately* target and kill
any of your troops out in the field, with one of your own characters. The
number of Ally Kills you execute affects what endings you'll get. So it pays to
know precisely what is considered an Ally Kill and what isn't. Basically it's
an Ally killing an Ally. What is considered an Ally? A character that has a
Green Life Bar is an Ally. Any other coloured life bar is ignored.

The following COUNTS as Ally Kills

- You select "Attack" from the character's command menu, and kill one of your
own troops.

- You select "Attack" from the character's command menu, and hit one of your
own characters, that character counters back and kills the attacking
character.

- You use a Special Skill from the character's command menu, and it hits one of
your own characters, killing that character it hit.

- You use a Special Skill that targets multiple characters, some enemies, some
allies. The skill hits both enemies and allies, killing an ally in the
process as some enemies are killed.

- Thursday's Arigato Roboto. Any ally EXCEPT Thursday that is killed by this
attack is considered an Ally Kill

The following DOES NOT count as Ally Kills

- Throwing Prinnies, and inadvertantly killing an Ally. The thrown Prinny
doesn't count either as an Ally Kill.

- Any ally killed from Geo Chains, or damage panels on the battlefield will
not count as an Ally Kill.

- Dark Cannon. If the Dark Cannon kills one of your characters it won't count.
It also won't count when you first summon the dark cannon, and hit and kill
one of your own characters.

- Throwing a Monster into your base to capture it. Any characters killed,
including the enemy which is killed so it can join you, are not counted as
Ally kills.

- Killing a Yea Senator when persuading by force will not count as an Ally
Kill.

- Killing a copy of a character, that was created by the Clone Panel will not
count as an Ally Kill.

- Thursday's Arigato Roboto. Thursday is immedaitely killed when he uses this
attack. Tursday's death doesn't count as an Ally Kill.

Also yeah Disgaea's a great game (Except for the parts involving Flonne perhaps, gogo Evil ending <.<) and better yet it's really easy to get most of the endings. When you've beaten it once you'll be a high enough level that clocking it again should take very little time.

Even less if you go level up at all after that. You can clock it at about lv60-70 if you get to lv100-200 you'll beat it without any problems in a couple of hours (If you're just going for endings though it's probably best just to save do the task required then reload).

Jube
2008-04-09, 05:20 AM

Unless I'm very mistaken either Select or Triangle generates a Random name for your character. I just use random untill I get one I like then go with that /shrug

Oslecamo
2008-04-09, 05:53 AM
The mages are awesome exactly because they are so cute. Because really, who expects cute little, giggly girls to be some of the most awesomely destructive beings in the world? Well apart from everybody who relies on TV tropes or has watched too much entertainment of course.

And all you prinnies are fired. Try to get your redemption now.

I had Flonne create and train a squad of high levels female mages, and named all of them as famous magical girls wich use sailor schoolgirl suits. In what other game could I get the cutests casters of anime as my loyal servants?:smallbiggrin:

Also made the mistake of naming my first warrior Link, reincarnate him as a samurai, and only then realizing it was now a girl.

And also made a female brawler based on a female kung fu anime character and reincarnated her as a male ninja, thinking that it looked slightly female.

I blame it all in Laharl awakening the darck twisted side on me.

On the other hand, if it's my duty to punish the wicked souls of the mortals, wich better way than make them fight and die for me while crossdressing?:smalltongue:

Only thing I didn't like in the game:rising noncombat focused classes is a pain. But then, you really don't need them.

Rutee
2008-04-09, 06:23 AM
Weird, I only remember Makai Kingdom and Phantom Brave having non-combat classes. Did I forget something?

Oslecamo
2008-04-09, 07:16 AM
Well, technically everybody can fight, but then you have:

1-The male and female priests, wich learn only healing and suport spells

2-The theif, whoe combat power is questionable, but has the ability to steal stuff.

3-The scout, wich also is a rather weack combatant, but has the best movement, geo change and the darck cannon(wich altough powerfull doesn't give exp when it kills stuff under your control).

I consider all of the later non combat classes, because their best abilities are noncombat ones, and their fighting capacity sucks.

On a side note, anyone used archers in disgaea 1? I always got the impression mages were simply much better, since you could go heal mana after every other battle.

Rutee
2008-04-09, 07:31 AM
I actually preferred Priests to Magi. THey had better Res, and you only need enough Int to OHKO the enemy with their elemental weakness. Had forgotten about the Thief/Scout though. Well, I've just never had an EFA Soldier to compare a Scout to, more accurately. of course, if you were going to strictly tweak everythign for combat effectiveness, you wouldn't use Laharl at all, so.. XD

Oslecamo
2008-04-09, 07:46 AM
I actually preferred Priests to Magi. THey had better Res, and you only need enough Int to OHKO the enemy with their elemental weakness. Had forgotten about the Thief/Scout though. Well, I've just never had an EFA Soldier to compare a Scout to, more accurately. of course, if you were going to strictly tweak everythign for combat effectiveness, you wouldn't use Laharl at all, so.. XD

Well, the problem is, priests in Disgaea 1 don't learn ofensive spells at all. How did you kill enemies with priests then?

Also, in my opinion, Laharl was a combat machine, butchering everything it it's way trough my first campaign with almost no need to stop for grinding.

In more than 1 level I found myself with all my other characters dead after a mindless charge into the enemy formation, and Laharl still pulling out the victory alone thanks to his big life and powerfull attacks.

On the other hand, I always gave him by best equipment available...Never remembered to try to put said uber equipment in one of my other melee guys.

But my problem was that you only get exp for killing stuff, so if a class can't deal high damage to kill stuff(especially area damage), then it's much harder to level them up.

Rutee
2008-04-09, 07:54 AM
Laharl, statwise, is weaker then the Tier 6 classes. But yeah, if you gave him your best gear, he's going to rock the cazbah. NIS games typically overvalue gear. Only Makai Kingdom was an exception, where it's almost impossible to make the Peons as strong as the Overlords.

But for the Priest..

Flonne makes Priest
Priest equips a sword, beats enemies up in the tutorial stage to get the mana to make Good For Nothing Mages
Priest learns magic from Good For Nothings
Flonne Learns Magic from Priest.

It seemed a natural progression to me.

Cubey
2008-04-09, 10:07 AM
Don't forget experience gains for filling the Bonus Gauge. This way non-offensive classes don't lag behind too badly.

Other semi-random comments:
Swords are overpowered? Tech-wise maybe, since I didn't reach highest tech levels so I don't know. But pure stat-wise I'm a fan of axes.
Usefulness of Archers - they're not top tier, but I use them because they're very cute.
Ninja - looks like Sanger, dodges like Latooni. Win.

Tengu
2008-04-09, 10:28 AM
I found Archers to, while having lower damage potential, have a huge advantage over Mages in survivability, and the ability to be useful even after using up all the SP - maybe I'm going too gung-ho with my casters but in longer battles they run out of SP rather oftenly, and if the enemy reaches them they usually go splat because of their low HP and Def.

Oslecamo
2008-04-09, 01:57 PM
Well, you should give all orbs you can get your hands into in your casters to raise their SP, and int raising items to make those blast spells count. First time I played I blasted trough a good part of the campaign thanks to a combination of 4 mages, the 3 main heros and 3 warriors/samurais.

Rutee:Yes, you can do that, but then I could say that with enough reicarnation and disciples I could make the ultimate character with uber stats and every humanoid power in existence.

Actually, that's one of the things I loved more in Disgaea. The characters are highly customizable. I had Flonne learn all attack spells to the maximum, but couldn't bother with heal spells.

Some strange trivia about the game wich made me simply "WTF?":
-Randomly some of the enemies have around 10 times as much resistance as normal and this makes them almost immune to magic.
-Your units will try to dodge your own buffs. Seriously, having my ninja at single digits and seeing him dodge my own heals was really frustating.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-09, 02:28 PM
I have not played the game for years AND I'm suffering from extensive memory loss from a near fatal car wreck, yet when I read the words: red moon:

Red moon, red moon.
Cleanses the sinful, and makes them anew
Shining brighty, in the night sky. Waiting for the souls.
Who will be born again tonight?
Who will be born again, tonight?
Be born again tonight?

I love that game so much. How I can remember the name of the ginormous pile of awesome that it Vyers (instantly), while having to wait days before remembering my own brother's, only serves to prove how great the game is.

Nathan
2008-04-09, 02:32 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/Nathan_Has_Stuff/DisgaeaRanger.png

Huzzah for archers. They were also one of my absolute favorites. Though, to be honest about my biases, I tend to favor long range attackers protected by meat shields in strategy games.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-09, 02:55 PM
Archers are indeed cute. Never really found a use for them myself. When i played Disgaea i was heavily focused on warriors, samurai and martial artists with some support, including most of the characters. It worked quite well. I did keep a scout around to shoot, he was one of the hardest hitting characters actually. And of course Laharl was by far the strongest i had for a long period of time, which made him generally neat to keep around in the fray. My axe samurai was quite good as well, though she tended to die too quickly.

Tengu
2008-04-09, 03:33 PM
Well, you should give all orbs you can get your hands into in your casters to raise their SP, and int raising items to make those blast spells count.

Oh, I do that - it's just that I like to use the most powerful spells in aoe mode. I'm slowly finding the lesser ones to be enough in many cases, though, and firing from maximum range significantly increases the survivability of mages. I still keep the single archer I created though - and she doesn't lag behind. The only characters who's behind the rest in my teams are the thief and one of my two healers (because the other one learns spells from a pupil red mage) - and they have different uses anyway.

Well, Laharl is much stronger than the rest, but that's expected as I pump all the best stuff into him and he's level 28 while all the other characters are 22-23.

I wonder what is the proc rate on knight's spell-after-an-attack-followup. It's a very weird ability balance-wise, as knights deal lower damage than warriors when it doesn't proc and much better when it does.

Rutee
2008-04-09, 03:47 PM
Well, you can reincarnate and get everything, but Mentoring is pretty much supposed to be what Flonne does in Disgaea 1, since she doesn't get innate spells like she does in MK or Dissy 2. I just added an extra step since I found clerics useful in Item Worlds.

As to dodging buffs.. yeah that's a bitch. I think they took it out in Dissy 2, and dodging doesn't happen in PB/MK, but for Dissy 1.. For heals, use items. Items don't miss, so you can at least keep your ninja standing. Won't let him get actual buffs though.

As to Archers, I found them lacking statistically, but I used one anyway, because I use one of pretty much EVERYTHING, if I can, in Strategy RPGs.

And, Tengu, Laharl will be stronger during the main game, I'm pretty sure. His stats are tier 4-ish. He'll suck compared to Tier 6s, but you won't see those until your second game, at least. I think.

Tengu
2008-04-09, 03:51 PM
I wish you could have either male or female brawlers to get majins - both male and female warrior are pretty similar in coolness, but the female brawler is more fun than the male one, mostly because of the never ceasing to amuse me "achoo!" attack shout. And since brawlers are kinda crappy and I don't want to have more people than I need, I only keep one around.

bluish_wolf
2008-04-09, 05:39 PM
I wish you could have either male or female brawlers to get majins - both male and female warrior are pretty similar in coolness, but the female brawler is more fun than the male one, mostly because of the never ceasing to amuse me "achoo!" attack shout. And since brawlers are kinda crappy and I don't want to have more people than I need, I only keep one around.

But if you go female warrior, you can get ronin, which is a class you can use in the actual game, as opposed to the post-game.

Eakin
2008-04-09, 05:41 PM
I found Archers to, while having lower damage potential, have a huge advantage over Mages in survivability, and the ability to be useful even after using up all the SP - maybe I'm going too gung-ho with my casters but in longer battles they run out of SP rather oftenly, and if the enemy reaches them they usually go splat because of their low HP and Def.

Not much you can do about that in the item world unless you carry SP restoring items (which always slip my mind until I notice that I don't have one and really wish I did). However, remember that you can stick people back into your base panel, so my strategy is often to bring out my mages and nuke from afar at first, then retreat them into the base panel and bring out my tougher short range guys. Of course, you need a bigger team to make that work. In tough battles I can rotate through 15 or twenty people as I keep retreating the damaged units and bringing in fresh ones.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-09, 05:46 PM
Also Ronin are completely and utterly awesome. Of the second tier classes they are probably the prize, they are really that effective. Besides that they are cute.

Tengu
2008-04-09, 05:51 PM
But if you go female warrior, you can get ronin, which is a class you can use in the actual game, as opposed to the post-game.

Oh, I had a female warrior and brawler - I just leveled them to around 10 and then stopped taking them to missions. I'd transmigrate them to knight and ronin if I knew how the transmigration system works at that time.
And yes, ronin's pure damage potential kicks a lot of ass, especially if you give her an axe. And I might be mistaken, but one of her battle shouts sounds like "CHESTOOO!" to me.

Oslecamo
2008-04-09, 07:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you too trained Flonne in the use of fire weapons just to see a cute little love worshiping angel shoot stuff to death?

Agree totally in the ronin. Awesome tier 2 class. Must have for any begginner team.

Tengu
2008-04-10, 04:49 AM
Hmm, no, the mage I planned to use to teach her fire with went on the Reject Pile - she learns star and wind. That's still very lethal, though.

Oslecamo
2008-04-10, 06:01 AM
ARGH! Your new avatar! It burns my eyes! THE GOOGLES DON'T DO ANYTHING!

Rutee
2008-04-10, 06:26 AM
...Ugly people in a FFXI cosplay? Not sure I get it.

Anyway if you can try and get the Fire and Water magics up. Prism Mages are fun! I don't remember the Samurai having a CHESTO!, but I think they have one that's something like "Sessou!" I gave mine a Spear though.

Tengu
2008-04-10, 06:33 AM
Lucky Star. You like cute so you should watch it... and then enjoy my avatar with everyone else!

Anyway. I do have fire and ice mages too (well, fire mage and ice skull to be precise), they are just mentored by other people. To get a prism mage, you just need your star mage to have the correct level, no?

Oslecamo
2008-04-10, 08:56 AM

Anyway if you can try and get the Fire and Water magics up. Prism Mages are fun! I don't remember the Samurai having a CHESTO!, but I think they have one that's something like "Sessou!" I gave mine a Spear though.

Did FFXi had people with schoolgirl uniforms on it? I don't know because I didn't play it. To me it remembered more of a bunch of ugly people cosplaying sailor moon.

As for prism mages, beware. They can't learn the final magic level of each element, wich besides doing craploads of damage have great animations.

Also, was just I or does the AI of the game sucks, with the computer using powers almost at random?

bluish_wolf
2008-04-10, 03:26 PM
Lucky Star. You like cute so you should watch it... and then enjoy my avatar with everyone else!

If by "enjoy," you mean "add to my adblock blacklist," then, yes, I'm enjoying it immensely.

That's Lucky Star cosplay. The masochistic can click here for the whole thing: Turn back! It's a trap! Seriously, this video will give you nightmares. Stop clicking. OK, you asked for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU_5khy2fW4

Also, was just I or does the AI of the game sucks, with the computer using powers almost at random?

The AI, indeed, sucks.

Cubey
2008-04-10, 03:37 PM
True, Final Fantasy Tactics this ain't. That was a truly unforgiving game - if you left an opening, the AI would use and abuse it faster than you can scream "Admiral Thrawn!". Disgaea is far more casual.

Rutee
2008-04-10, 03:47 PM
Did FFXi had people with schoolgirl uniforms on it? I don't know because I didn't play it. To me it remembered more of a bunch of ugly people cosplaying sailor moon.

Big Guy in the back reminded me of a Galka.

And yeah, NIS challenges you with stats, not AI. If you can't hurt 'em, you can't kill them, is the theory. Of course, stats are easy to obtain if you know how to handle items, so..

Terraoblivion
2008-04-10, 04:00 PM
And if you have the patience to get those stats, Rutee. Don't forget that. Which is really the primary reason i never got it very easy, leveling items was just not interesting enough for me. And that is despite how much i liked the game otherwise.

bluish_wolf
2008-04-10, 04:45 PM
You can get through the game rather easily if you purchase and use consumables. You don't have to be particularly high level or power up any weapons.

Cubey
2008-04-10, 05:07 PM
On the somewhat outdated topic of the Rogue: the tribunal (consisting of one person, yours truly) came to a conclusion - the Rogue's sex is best described as a Sheik. And Scout is a Naruto, apparently.

Oslecamo
2008-04-10, 07:37 PM
And if you have the patience to get those stats, Rutee. Don't forget that. Which is really the primary reason i never got it very easy, leveling items was just not interesting enough for me. And that is despite how much i liked the game otherwise.

Well, the game is funy in a point in wich the more you grind, the better you get at grinding, in an exponencial way.

For example, hunting for the specialists wich give bonus exp and then puting them all togheter in the same item.

Then unlock a level with fat bonus exp geos.

Equip character with item full of especialists wich give bonus exp.

Now go and get that uber item wich allows your character to jump anywhere in the battlefield.

Now you can get specialists and levep up items in the blinck of an eye. Equip item, jump near specialist, kill it, jump into the exit portal, repeat, profit.

The first hundreds of levels will be hard indeed, but once you get your hands in the best items everything gets much easier. As Rutee said, items are really imba in Disgaea.

Also, anyone here tried out the amazingly good "Ygrsda Union:We'll never fight alone", for the GB advance? I'm still playing it(in computer emulator), and I simply love it. Darker story than Disgaea, but still with some humor, everybody is uber cute, and new whole grid combat system. If Im not mistaken, it was also done by Nipon Ichi, but remains somewhat obscure.

Tengu
2008-04-13, 07:24 PM
I hate TV Tropes for blowing the big surprise with Mid Boss for me even before playing the game. Ruin my life, indeed.

No, I won't stop reading the site. I'm a masochist.

Terraoblivion
2008-04-13, 07:55 PM
And the same mix of masochism and curiosity will also drive you to read the parts hidden due to them being spoilers. I know i am the same. Fortunately i still haven't cursed myself for it.

Tengu
2008-04-13, 08:00 PM
I wonder, how feasable would it be to play the game not recruiting any characters on your own, using only the special ones and the prinnies you get at the start? It would obviously be hard until you get Flonne (who'd be a good healer but rather bad at everything else...), but on the other hand your average level would be much higher.

Rutee
2008-04-13, 08:03 PM
Hee. Sillehs. I just don't bother with spoilers unless I /really/ need to know :P

Though Disgaea 2's story isn't quite so good, IMO. Spoiling it would probably feel less like ruining it. Also Bridget is awesome...

Wait, actually. Avoid Disgaea 2 spoilers. Like the /plague/. The plot is awful. The bonus stages are just so.. so... <3 <3 <3 Those are the only words I have for them.

bluish_wolf
2008-04-13, 11:00 PM
I wonder, how feasable would it be to play the game not recruiting any characters on your own, using only the special ones and the prinnies you get at the start? It would obviously be hard until you get Flonne (who'd be a good healer but rather bad at everything else...), but on the other hand your average level would be much higher.

It's possible; people have done it already.

TheBoneSplitter
2008-04-24, 07:16 PM
...okay... small problem.

Item World, rare Bushido Lance... third level or so, random enemy on a No Lifting, Invincibility block that is coincidentally also the Dimensional Gate. Absolutely no possible way to get over to the next platform since it is 6+ throw distance away if I threw straight, and also three distance to the left... meaning I can't throw any one of my units either way to get to the Geo to throw to another colored block. No warp Geos to speak of.

As far as progression, I'm on a second cycle, eighth chapter which is generally tough as can be for me right now.

My final thoughts are along the insanities of screaming "WHYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!" over and over again... :smallfurious:

I've even got photographic and video insurance of such happening, but I don't feel like uploading the latter on to YouTube just yet, and the former I can't do with Photobucket cause it gives me a failed upload every time. Soooo yeah... :smallmad:

Besides all of that hub-bub, this first game has been extremely pleasant and a blast to play through, and I can kiss my life goodbye if I get my grubby hands on Disgaea 3 when it comes out.

Cubey
2008-04-25, 04:32 AM
I don't know why you spoilered that, but here are possible solutions to your problem, from the least to most complicated:
1. Use a Scout's ability to re-randomize the tiles.
2. Leave using an Mr. Gency exit and come back. The level should be different.
3. Put a pyramid with a different color than the No Lifting/Invincibility tile right next to it. Then, destroy it with an attack that will push it forward, like Melee Weapons' Tri-Strike.

Primitive picture:

XX0^==

X - normal tiles (that is, everything which doesn't have the No Lifting/Invinc combo)
^ - put the pyramid here (it's a normal tile too)
= - invincible/no lifting tiles
0 - put a character here and use that attack

Of course you have to make sure the pyramid actually gets destroyed - maybe some weakening before doing this?
If you do it correctly, the symbol will suffer enough damage to be destroyed, but ALSO it will move to the invincible tiles, thus being destroyed and making a chain reaction despite being on an Invincible geo effect. Clever, isn't it?

Also, why do I keep referring to symbols as pyramids?

TheBoneSplitter
2008-04-25, 08:25 PM
I don't know why you spoilered that, but here are possible solutions to your problem, from the least to most complicated:
1. Use a Scout's ability to re-randomize the tiles.
2. Leave using an Mr. Gency exit and come back. The level should be different.
3. Put a pyramid with a different color than the No Lifting/Invincibility tile right next to it. Then, destroy it with an attack that will push it forward, like Melee Weapons' Tri-Strike.

My simple answer that I found out, and it was due to not having this class... the Brawler. I feel like a complete idiot who relies solely on favorites, never knowing after about 2-3 weeks of play that Brawlers and up are essential to getting through the game's "seemingly difficult glitches". I could have simply "punched" the offender away from the Dimensional Gate.

By the way, the pyramid speak is at least not as bad as me calling 1x1 areas of the grid "blocks"...

I'm on Chapter 11 now prior to staying up till 6 AM... and I spoiler things because I have a nasty habit of feeling spoiled over small details.

Tengu
2008-05-07, 06:34 PM
Woo, finished the game with a good ending, after over 50 hours of gameplay and Laharl at level 53 (though he got to 60 from the exp after the last battle). Cool. Time to play the second one.