View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 32: Chile II vs Cyn

ArenaManager
2008-04-07, 09:57 AM
Arena Tournament, Round 32: Chile II vs. Cyn

Map:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/Kyeudo/GlassArena.jpg

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

chilepepper - Chile II (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8505)
Stupnick - Cyn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41483)

All Combatants, please roll initiative.

stupnick
2008-04-07, 11:26 AM
Initiative
[roll0]

i am here

purchases
5x Alchemist Fire
5x Acid Flasks
2x Thunderstone
1x Invisibility Potion
3x CLW Potion
1x Resist Energy Acid Potion

Good Luck : )

chilepepper
2008-04-08, 02:13 AM
Checking in.
[roll0]

Invis scroll x2
see invis scroll
scroll summon monster 1
scorching ray scroll

chilepepper
2008-04-08, 02:48 AM
Start in A13 with a scroll in my hand, mounted

Standard action: Cast a spell
Mage Armor using 2 zero slots

Done

stupnick
2008-04-08, 07:50 AM
starting in y13, with a spear in 1 hand and a bottle of liquid in another.

drinking the liquid

resist energy acid 10, for 30 minutes.

moving to u13 and while doing so drawing another bottle of liquid

for ref's

HP: 18
AC: 11
Buffs: Resist Energy Acid
In Hand: Spear, Invis Pot

your up

chilepepper
2008-04-08, 11:30 PM
Alright, that had to be the resist energy potion. Now you've got one of your splash weapons in hand. You're still too far out for me to worry about though.

Standard action: Read the scroll
See invisibility
DC13 Caster Level check [roll0]
If failed DC5 Wisdom Check [roll1]

Move Action: Retrieve a scroll

Done

stupnick
2008-04-08, 11:56 PM
beginning u13 and drink the potion, and disappeared

for ref's

move to q12, and draw out a bottle of liquid

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 2/300
Invisibility 1/30
In Hand: Spear, alchemist fire

all you

chilepepper
2008-04-09, 12:00 AM
If you drink the vial that's in your hand, you have to take damage because it's either acid or alchemist's fire. A potion of invisibility is not a weapon.

stupnick
2008-04-09, 08:05 AM
oh crap.. i am so sorry.... i just realized that you can't draw out a potion of invis while moving..

ok..

my second action also begins in y13.. i didn't move during the first one.
drinking that potion. so i go invis

moving to u12 and drawing another vial, which is the same as listed below.

Talic
2008-04-09, 08:22 AM
High Ref Talic

Play is amended. Chile, if you wish to modify your round 2 action, you are welcome to.

chilepepper
2008-04-09, 10:44 PM
I'm fine with that. I don't need to change anything. BTW, don't bother spoilering your move, I've already cast See Invisibility. I either need permission to look in your spoiler, or I need you to restate what I saw.

I'll go ahead an take my turn though
Standard Action: Read Scroll
Invisibility, target: me

Move Action: retrieve a scroll

Done

stupnick
2008-04-10, 01:25 AM
ah no worries.. ok no spoiler...

feel free to look at the spoiler, just said i move to u12, and draw a vial

this time i move to m11

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 3/300
Invisibility 2/30

your up

chilepepper
2008-04-10, 01:38 AM
Move to E26, read a scroll

Done

edit: fixed move typo

stupnick
2008-04-10, 10:19 PM
double move to L18

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 4/300
Invisibility 3/30

your go

chilepepper
2008-04-10, 11:02 PM
Move to A22
Read a scroll

DC13 Caster Level check [roll0] edit: FINALLY!!!

Done

edit: I disappear

stupnick
2008-04-11, 12:27 PM
double move to f22...

btw have you been trying to cast invis this whole time? you do know if you fail you lose the scroll, and since you only bought 2 scrolls in the opening post, and had none on your character sheet. you should have only been able to try twice...

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 5/300
Invisibility 4/30

chilepepper
2008-04-11, 02:42 PM
If you'd like to link me to the alleged rule that failed castings spend a scroll, we can rewind, but I can't find anything indicating that.

You see Hoofy McGallopstien move to B15.

Read a scroll
Invisibility, target: Hoofy
will amend move after I see checks

Done

stupnick
2008-04-11, 03:17 PM
No revision needed as per

Scrolls
If you aren't of the right level to read a scroll, you have to
make a caster level check to actually use the scroll, right? If
this fails, you have to make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid
a mishap. What happens to the scroll if you fail both
checks? Does the failure erase the scroll? What happens if
you fail the caster level check, but make the Wisdom check?
Is the writing on the scroll still there?
If you do not succeed in activating a scroll spell, the spell is not used up. If you suffer a mishap when you fail to cast the
spell, however, you activate the scroll after a fashion and the
scroll is wasted. You likewise lose the spell on the scroll if you
fail any Concentration check you might have to make while
using the scroll. You also lose the spell from the scroll or if you
fail any arcane spell failure roll you might have to make when
using the scroll.

going to use this to notify my DM : ) sorry about that

double move to c20

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 6/300
Invisibility 5/30

chilepepper
2008-04-11, 09:59 PM
Hoofy moves to A7

Read a scroll
Invisibility, target: Hoofy
will amend move after I see checks boop

Done

not done

Mavian
2008-04-11, 10:15 PM
High Ref Mav

@Refs

So, there are 7 possibilities listed under scroll mishaps, but only 4 of them seem applicable, so how bout we roll a die 4 and see what happens.

1) Damage 2) Opponent goes invisible 3) Chile's horse starts to glow 4)Delay

[roll0]

Mavian
2008-04-11, 10:18 PM
High Ref Mav:

@Chile

The spell vanishes from the scroll, but nothing seems to happen

@Refs

In [roll0] hours, Chile's horse will vanish.

chilepepper
2008-04-11, 10:37 PM
Attempt fast dismount. DC 20
[roll0]

chilepepper
2008-04-11, 10:39 PM
what's with the freakin roller, dismount as a move action

Done

chilepepper
2008-04-12, 01:54 AM
I need a ref ruling quickly as I have made a mistake.

refsSo, I'm a moron. The DC to use the scrolls is supposed to be spell level +1, not spell level +11 as I've been doing. None of the caster level checks failed, can I get a rewind?

Talic
2008-04-12, 02:29 AM
High Ref Talic

Match on hold for review. More information forthcoming. A play error which affects the majority of the actions in the round has been brought to our attention.

Error made in Post 11. Scroll was incorrectly listed as a failure. Actual scroll reading was a success. Chile, Edit remainder of that turn. Play continues from that point.

@Chile:
To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.

* The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
* The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
* The user must have the requisite ability score.

If the user meets all the requirements noted above, and her caster level is at least equal to the spell’s caster level, she can automatically activate the spell without a check. If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.
Relevant section bolded, error underlined. DC for a level 2 spell, by default, is 4. (Caster level is 3, +1)

chilepepper
2008-04-12, 03:37 AM
Very sorry about that. So you are in U12, invisible.

I'm in A13 mounted, I turn invisible, you see the mount stay in A13. I still have cast see invisibility, so you can continue to post unspoilered.

move action, draw the other invisibility scroll

Done, your turn.

stupnick
2008-04-12, 09:26 AM
i move to m11

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 3/300
Invisibility 2/30

your up

chilepepper
2008-04-12, 02:56 PM
Read scroll
DC 3 caster level check [roll0]
DC 5 Wisdom check if fail [roll1]
Move to I12

Hoofy now disappears as well, you no longer see me or my mount.

I'll be done as soon as I edit this post based on the rolls.

Talic
2008-04-12, 03:36 PM
High Ref Talic

@Chile:DC is 4. Invisibility has a base caster level of 3. +1 = 4. You passed, but please keep in mind that the DC of scroll activation is based on caster level, not spell level.

Turn unaffected, continue.

stupnick
2008-04-12, 05:50 PM
drop spear where i was standing in m11

then i will move to i12, and while doings so pull a stone out of my belt pouch.

i will then throw a thunderstone at A13,

hit AC 5
[roll0] it's in the 2nd range increment so -2 to hit

anyone w/in 10ft of A13, must make a dc 15 fort save or be deafened http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#thunderstone

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 4/300
Invisibility 3/30
In Hand: alchemist fire

your up

chilepepper
2008-04-13, 01:35 AM
refs That lucky SoB! His move is illegal because it ends in my square. That freakin' sucks because now he'll know where I am and his thunderstone won't be wasted.

Talic
2008-04-13, 02:24 AM
High Ref Talic

We have an unintentional illegal move.

Stupnick, your character cannot end move in square I12, due to the space being currently occupied. Reverse final move to J12. You may amend actions from this point.

Edit:

@ChileBased on information, he's entitled to know that the square is occupied. Not whether it's you, the pony, or both. What conclusions he draws from the above information is up to him, but I'm not going to announce what's in the square, when he has no way of knowing.

chilepepper
2008-04-13, 03:45 AM
@TalicI know, it's the right call. It just sucks that there's no better way to handle that. I'll have to be careful to stay out of my opponent's walking range in the future.

My well lade plans are all falling into place. Mwuahahahhaa. Go ahead and finish your move.

stupnick
2008-04-13, 10:26 AM
ok.. well instead of throwing the thunderstone at A13, i will instead throw the alchemist fire at square I12. aiming at the square will take an AC 5, anyone with in 5 ft from it will take 1 point, me included. but that should out line what kinda shape is in that square for me. based on it burning and i can see how large.

Raging

[roll0]

stats

HP: 17/18 (1 point due to alchemist fire)
Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 4/300
Invisibility 3/30

your up

chilepepper
2008-04-13, 01:42 PM
You can't target a square, only what's in it.

stupnick
2008-04-13, 03:45 PM
i do believe you can target a square, the only tihng tho is that, no one takes normal damage, only splash damage.. if that is true tho. i will target what ever is in that square. using the same roll. let me know if i need to do any kinda concealment rolls or what else.

chilepepper
2008-04-13, 04:03 PM
Concealment (1 is a miss) [roll0]

roll 1d8. This determines the misdirection of the throw, with 1 being straight back at you and 2 through 8 counting clockwise around the grid intersection or target creature. Then, count a number of squares in the indicated direction equal to the range increment of the throw.

stupnick
2008-04-13, 05:04 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#throwSplashWeapon

Throw Splash Weapon
A splash weapon is a ranged weapon that breaks on impact, splashing or scattering its contents over its target and nearby creatures or objects. To attack with a splash weapon, make a ranged touch attack against the target. Splash weapons require no weapon proficiency, so you don’t take the -4 nonproficiency penalty. A hit deals direct hit damage to the target, and splash damage to all creatures within 5 feet of the target.

You can instead target a specific grid intersection. Treat this as a ranged attack against AC 5. However, if you target a grid intersection, creatures in all adjacent squares are dealt the splash damage, and the direct hit damage is not dealt to any creature. (You can’t target a grid intersection occupied by a creature, such as a Large or larger creature; in this case, you’re aiming at the creature.)

If you miss the target (whether aiming at a creature or a grid intersection), roll 1d8. This determines the misdirection of the throw, with 1 being straight back at you and 2 through 8 counting clockwise around the grid intersection or target creature. Then, count a number of squares in the indicated direction equal to the range increment of the throw.

After you determine where the weapon landed, it deals splash damage to all creatures in adjacent squares.

as stated here, you can target a spot on a square aiming at AC 5. dealing splash to all those around it. so since i need to target an intersection, I/J 12/13

so who ever is in J12, and me in I12, both take 1 point of splash damage, and it is your turn

Talic
2008-04-13, 06:55 PM
High Ref Talic

Stupnick is correct. However, bear in mind, you target a grid intersection, not a square.

EDIT: he had that grid thing in last post. Sigh.

@ChileBear in mind, concealment does not apply to AoE attacks. The Alch fire won't get a direct hit on you when used in this fashion, but it can deal the 1 point of splash damage.

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 12:39 AM
Ok, I'm fine with changing that to targeting a grid intersection. Though, in my mind, the splash won't be enough to indicate what's in the square. I picture it as a spread of droplets, not enough to indicate what's there; especially considering it's not enough to set the target on fire for a round. I'll let a ref rule on it.

Talic
2008-04-14, 12:50 AM
High Ref Talic

I know of nothing in the rules that allows for you to identify a hidden creature's location based on splash damage. Thus, no information concerning hidden creatures will be furnished.

Mavian
2008-04-14, 01:01 AM
High Ref Mav:

Just sticking my nose in to back up Talic. There is one specific splash weapon that reveals invisible creatures. All other splash weapons simply deal their damage as normal.

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 01:25 AM
I'm going to go to M11, pick up the spear, move to K4.

You see your spear in M11 disappear. Done.

stupnick
2008-04-14, 11:33 AM
i will be targeting m11 and throwing the thunderstone there.

[roll0]
hit AC 5

anyone w/in 10ft of A13, must make a dc 15 fort save or be deafened http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/...m#thunderstone

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 6/300
Invisibility 5/30
Rage 2/10

your go

Mavian
2008-04-14, 12:16 PM
@Chile, other Refs

How are you splitting a move? It takes a move action to get to M11, and then a standard action to pick up the spear, leaving you with no more actions... which means you should still be in M11. Correct?

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 07:03 PM
refsI am mounted

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 07:07 PM
Again, you can't target a square, only what's in it. Also, don't forget range and cover penalties. Please redo your move.

stupnick
2008-04-14, 07:52 PM
as per SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#thunderstone)

Thunderstone
You can throw this stone as a ranged attack with a range increment of 20 feet. When it strikes a hard surface (or is struck hard), it creates a deafening bang that is treated as a sonic attack. Each creature within a 10-foot-radius spread must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be deafened for 1 hour. A deafened creature, in addition to the obvious effects, takes a -4 penalty on initiative and has a 20% chance to miscast and lose any spell with a verbal component that it tries to cast.

Since you don’t need to hit a specific target, you can simply aim at a particular 5-foot square. Treat the target square as AC 5.

i bolded the part i wanted you to so..

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 08:17 PM
Very sorry. You are correct.

Chile [roll0]
Hoofy [roll1]

I'll take my move later tonite.

stupnick
2008-04-14, 08:23 PM
ok, well if you were actually effected by that thunderstone, it lowers your Initiative by 4, so that would change the initiative for this coming round, which would mean i would go first.

let me know if it is my turn.

chilepepper
2008-04-14, 11:26 PM
WHAT? LET YOU GROW A FERN? WHAT?
haha, j/k

Just need to note something
refsMove to J9, draw scroll of Summon Monster I, start casting

Spell durations in effect:
Mage armor, me : 4/360
Invis, me : 3/30
Invis, hoofy : 2/30
Resist energy, Cyn : 4/180
Invis, Cyn : he attacked

Okay, thank you for pointing out the -4 initiative. I've never used a thunderstone, so I would have completely missed that. I was wondering why you would use one of those. The 20% miscast didn't seem worth it. Anyway, it is indeed your turn.

Talic
2008-04-15, 02:02 AM
High Ref Talic

Actually, it's been ruled that initiative is a one time check, and subsequent status effects which alter initiative do not affect initiative that's already been rolled. Otherwise you would suffer initiative penalties when you enlarged (dex penalty, translates to initiative), became Entangled, or the like.

Also, @Chile:Your duration on your invisibility spells is wrong. Spells cast from scrolls use their minimum caster level as the level of the spell.

Source:
A spell successfully activated from a scroll works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way. Assume the scroll spell’s caster level is always the minimum level required to cast the spell for the character who scribed the scroll (usually twice the spell’s level, minus 1), unless the caster specifically desires otherwise.

Minimum CL for invisibility is 3, thus, the duration of your spell is 30 rounds.

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 02:05 AM
Eh. Okay.

Blah blah blah. I already took my move, I'm just keeping up appearences.

Done. You turn.

stupnick
2008-04-15, 09:24 AM
move k13, draw flask of acid while doing so

thowing flask at the NE corner of m13, splash damage to all surrounding squares.

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 7/300
Rage 3/10

your turn.

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 03:23 PM
You still have to roll for the attack as a 1 misses. There's a 1.875% chance you'll damage yourself harmlessly splash yourself. I'll assume you hit the targeted intersection, but I'll adjust properly if you miss. Acid does 1 damage on a splash.

My turn.
Finish casting Summon Monster I from the scroll (standard action). Summon a Celestial Badger in L12. Move to G6.

Mage armor, me : 5/360
Invis, me : 4/30
Invis, hoofy : 3/30
Resist energy, Cyn : 5/180

A celestial badger appears in L12 and attacks you.

[roll0]
[roll1] edit: 1 damage

[roll2]
[roll3] edit: 1 damage

[roll4]
[roll5]

Done.

stupnick
2008-04-15, 03:41 PM
oh yeah.. sorry..

old attack roll [roll0]

ref's

would csating a summon monster spell take away his invis spell? since technically it is an attack spell of sorts?

5ft step back to J12
Draw Spear Javalin
[roll1]
[roll2]

stats

HP: 15/18
Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 8/300
Rage 4/10

your go

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 03:50 PM
Remind me, did you have anything in your hands before you attacked with the spear? I would have seen you drop it as a free action.

Please declare which square you are attacking so I know if I have to roll a miss chance.

stupnick
2008-04-15, 04:13 PM
i was attacking the badger.... sorry if i wasn't clearer.

i did have a flask in my hand at the time. but nothing was dropped.

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 04:22 PM
How are you using a two handed weapon with one hand and still getting that attack mod?

Mavian
2008-04-15, 04:35 PM
@Stupnik

Summoning doesn't end invisibility, as its not actually an attacking spell,

Thus, an invisible being can open doors, talk, eat, climb stairs, summon monsters and have them attack, cut the ropes holding a rope bridge while enemies are on the bridge, remotely trigger traps, open a portcullis to release attack dogs, and so forth. If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear. Spells such as bless that specifically affect allies but not foes are not attacks for this purpose, even when they include foes in their area.

stupnick
2008-04-15, 04:38 PM
throwing it. you don't need two hands to throw it. that would look kinda odd..

stupnick
2008-04-15, 04:40 PM
@Mavian

awesome ty... i am at work and limited to my websites at the moment

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 05:29 PM
The spear is a two handed weapon, if you could point me to the rules that say it can be used as a one handed weapon without penalty, then that fine. Otherwise, you'll have to have dropped your alchy fire. Remember, what makes sense in the real world doesn't matter, we go by RAW.

Talic
2008-04-15, 07:25 PM
Two hands are required to use a two-handed melee weapon effectively. Apply 1½ times the character’s Strength bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with such a weapon.

Even though it is listed as a 2 handed Melee weapon, it is required to have 2 hands to use effectively for throwing as well. Rewind play to beginning of Cyn's action (throw roll is still valid). Correct illegal action. Play continues.

Bayar
2008-04-15, 07:33 PM
well...I would say that he could shoot it with one hand, but dunno. doesnt sound like something RAW-like.

But how CAN you throw with two hands a spear anyway ?

stupnick
2008-04-15, 07:37 PM
edited post, to say javalin...

i completely disagree with that ruling.. but i will abide by it. that means that i can add str + 1/2 to the damage of the spear b/c it's a two handed weapon... and from now i will happily do so... i completely didn't realize that with thrown weapons that was possible.. but will be noted..

so rolling damage for my javalin....[roll0]

Bayar
2008-04-15, 07:53 PM
It is stupid to attack summoned things IMO, since they dissapear after rounds/caster level (1 round at level 1). But...you dont have a choice...

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 11:28 PM
Non participants of a match are not allowed to discuss or suggest strategy!

chilepepper
2008-04-15, 11:31 PM
You don't add 1.5 str to all two handed weapons, you add 1.5 str to two-handed melee attacks.

Also, the illegal part of your turn was throwing the spear. Drawing the spear was legal.

You have taken a 5' step and drawn a spear. That's a free action and a move action, you only have a standard action remaining. You could drop the spear as a free action and draw the javelin as a second move action, but you can't attack with it.

stupnick
2008-04-16, 12:06 PM
a thrown spear is a 1 handed item.. if you are forcing me to use two hands, then it adds str 1/2...

can we get master ref, or a high court member in here to get an accurate ruling.

Kyeudo
2008-04-16, 04:13 PM
GM Kyeudo

Chilepepper is mostly right here.

A spear is a two handed weapon. That means it takes two hands to use properly, even if that makes no sense when it comes to throwing the weapon. Thats the RAW, so live with it.

Your illegal action was throwing the spear, so you can either drop that flask of alchemist's fire, throw the alchemist's fire instead of the spear, or perform some other action. You legaly drew the spear, so you can't change that to drawing a javalin unless Chilepepper allows you to. As things stand, I doubt he will.

However, Stupnick is correct on the damage bonus being strength and a half. Unless the weapon is light or is a projectile weapon, any weapon wielded in two hands gets the strength and a half bonus,.

stupnick
2008-04-16, 04:28 PM
thank, will oblige to that ruling.

my action this round.

5ft step
draw spear

standard action, replace spear back in my pack

chilepepper
2008-04-16, 05:47 PM
I've been trying to post this all day. The forums are running really slow for me.

Thrown Weapons

Daggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons. The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons).

Two-Handed

Two hands are required to use a two-handed melee weapon effectively. Apply 1½ times the character’s Strength bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with such a weapon.

The SRD specifically says thrown spears get 1x strength, and 1.5 strength only applies to melee attacks.

Kyeudo
2008-04-16, 06:45 PM
GM Kyeudo

Well, then we have a case of the rules arguing with themselves.

Wielding a Weapon Two-Handed
When you deal damage with a weapon that you are wielding two-handed, you add 1½ times your Strength bonus. However, you don’t get this higher Strength bonus when using a light weapon with two hands.

Since you were the one that insisted that the spear needed two hands to be thrown and I found this in the damage section under combat, I think we'll go with this for now. I'll probably repeal this in the future, but for now this works.

chilepepper
2008-04-16, 07:33 PM
Ok. 1.5 damage to thrown two handed weapons.

My turn. Badger goes poof.

Move action, stow spear. Ready an action to direct mount to move if either of us is attacked, directly or indirectly.

Done.

stupnick
2008-04-16, 07:54 PM
well, unless you want to become visible, we are going to be sitting here a long time..

draw out a javalin
ready an action

if i have LoE on him i will throw the javalin if outside 20ft, or the alchemist fire, if inside 20ft.

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 9/300
Rage 5/10
In Hand: alchemist fire, javalin

your go

Talic
2008-04-16, 09:34 PM
High Ref Talic

@Stupnick:
While it's possible to word a ready action so that more than 1 action will trigger it, you may only announce 1 action with a ready action. Javelin or Spear.

Need clarification from Stupnick before Chile's turn.

stupnick
2008-04-16, 09:49 PM
@refs

javalin, ignore the fire part

chilepepper
2008-04-17, 12:40 AM
8 rounds down, 172 to go

Question for refs
I want to use my breath weapon to damage items he's wearing. I want to make sure this will work. The relevant rules I've found are:

Energy Attacks

Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures; roll damage and apply it normally after a successful hit. Electricity and fire attacks deal half damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness.

Saving Throws

Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by spells. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus).

If I attack with the intention of damaging his items, is this how it would work? Items use his reflex save, and take the damage after their hardness?

I'll go ahead and take my turn, no need to wait for this answer yet.

draw the fire spell scroll, ready an action to move if attacked again

Mage armor, me : 8/360
Invis, me : 7/30
Invis, hoofy : 6/30

Resist energy, Cyn : 8/180

Done.

Talic
2008-04-17, 01:17 AM
@Chile:SRD, Relevant Section:
Unless the descriptive text for the spell specifies otherwise, all items carried or worn by a creature are assumed to survive a magical attack. If a creature rolls a natural 1 on its saving throw against the effect, however, an exposed item is harmed (if the attack can harm objects). Refer to Table: Items Affected by Magical Attacks. Determine which four objects carried or worn by the creature are most likely to be affected and roll randomly among them. The randomly determined item must make a saving throw against the attack form and take whatever damage the attack deal.

If your breath weapon required an attack roll, you could decide precisely where it's aimed. As it aims at squares in general, you can't choose to hit Cyn's attended items, unless he rolls a natural 1 on a saving throw.

Play continues.

stupnick
2008-04-17, 07:26 AM
ready an action

if i have LoE on him i will throw the javalin

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 9/300
Rage 5/10

your go

chilepepper
2008-04-17, 09:59 AM
Cast shield using 2 zero level slots.
From J9 move to E4.

Mage armor, me : 9/360
Invis, me : 8/30
Invis, hoofy : 7/30
Shield : 1/10

Resist energy, Cyn : 9/180
Cyn is in J12

Get ready, the action is going to start soon.

Done.

stupnick
2008-04-17, 10:07 AM
ready an action

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 10/300
Rage 6/10

your go

chilepepper
2008-04-17, 11:08 PM
I forgot he's raging, back when he threw the alch fire instead of the acid. I'm going to wait until that's over. Move to F8. Ready to move if attacked.

Done

stupnick
2008-04-17, 11:18 PM
ready an action

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 11/300
Rage 7/10

your go

chilepepper
2008-04-17, 11:52 PM
ready to move if attacked
done

stupnick
2008-04-17, 11:56 PM
well.. you going to act anytime soon? this is kinda getting boring here

ready an action

stats

Buffs:
Resist Energy Acid 12/300
Rage 8/10

your go

chilepepper
2008-04-18, 01:16 AM
I'm doing lots of stuff, you just can't see it.

ready to move if attacked, waiting for rage to end

Done

chilepepper
2008-04-18, 02:06 AM
If you are readying the same action, and you want to fast forward a few rounds, I can take all my turns until you see something happen. I'm not trying to outlast the resist energy potion, I'm just buffing up and carefully getting into position.

stupnick
2008-04-18, 11:28 AM
go for it, that's fine with me, i am doing the same thing from now till it happens that i can actually do something

ref's

9/10 for rage,
after next round it's down, and i am at -2str/-2dex, no run or charge
which is what i bet he is waiting for, b/c he would have had time to circle around the arena twice already..lol

chilepepper
2008-04-18, 01:22 PM
Stuff I do between now and thenR11 move to H9, dismount into G8
R12 move action to draw one of the spears to one hand, still have the scroll in the other

Round 14 (just after your rage ends)
Standard action read scroll
DC4 caster level check [roll0]
Ranged Touch [roll1] (+2 for invisible) vs AC10 with his post-rage dex penalty and cover
Fire Damage (big money, big money, no whammies [roll2]

stats
HP 4/5
AC 23 +cover if applicable
Spells 1,3
Effects-
Mage armor, me : 14/360
Invis, me : 13/30 if spell casting was successful
Invis, hoofy : 12/30
Shield : 7/10

Cyn:
Resist energy, Cyn : 14/180
Post rage penalties
Cyn is in J12

Checking results of rolls, stay tuned for an update

edit:
A ray of fire emanates from G8 and strikes you (I believe your touch AC is 6, I hit AC 18) for 16 damage. I believe that drops you, but if I'm mistaken, I appear in G8 immediately following the attack. I have a spear in one hand and a scroll in the other, if it matters.

edit2:
I'm not done with my turn, just waiting to see if you get to take your readied action or are dead

edit3:
By my count, that's 1 damage from your alchemist's fire, 4 from the badger, and this 16. Puts you at -3?

Maurkov
2008-04-18, 01:42 PM
Ref Maurkov

@chileSo, did you just recite a scroll while invisible?

chilepepper
2008-04-18, 01:55 PM
refsOh yeah, that wouldn't work would it. Can I drop the scroll and read it from the ground?

stupnick
2008-04-18, 02:02 PM
Readying an Action
You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

technically you read the scroll with the intention to attack me with it.. so once you read it. you become visible, and my ready action triggers, before your spell does.

my readied action is to attack you with the javelin, so my attack roll

[roll0]
[roll1]

so i believe if i hit you, you are dead before you kill me : )

Maurkov
2008-04-18, 02:02 PM
Ref Maurkov

@Chile, refsSure, you can drop an item to make it visible, but your oppenent is likely to notice.

Speaking of, back at post 45 you picked up a spear and incorrectly stated that it became invisible.

I don't think you used it, so the best retcon is to assume you picked it up and then dropped it again. Agree?

@CynHe doesn't become visible until after his attack has resolved (which is why he gets the +2, no dex-- attacking while invisible). There is a problem with his action, however, so stay tuned.

Edit:

@ChileArrgh. Reviewing, you read a scroll of See Invisible back at post 6, right? That might be something to include in your stat block.

What was the problem with post 8? A potion is a weapon-like object, and therefore eligible to be drawn during a move action.

chilepepper
2008-04-18, 10:02 PM
Okay, before we continue, ref Maurkov has pointed out a few mistakes I made, I'm going to just throw them out in the open so you can decide if you have a problem with anything.

First of all, he says potions are weapon-like and can be drawn like weapons. I still disagree with that, a potion of invisibility isn't a weapon. Also the rule about drawing as a free action during a move says weapons, not weapon-like. Anyway, that changed one move action of yours, but both I and my horse went invisible before you could have attacked and I had move action to guarantee that, so I don't think that makes much of a difference either way.

Secondly, it was pointed out that you can't read a scroll while invisible, but it is possible to drop it and read it from the ground. I'd like to retcon my moves to reflect that. I double checked and you didn't have a readied action during any of those. I could understand the argument that you wouldn't have wasted the splash weapons if you knew my position. At the time of my actions, if I had to drop the scroll to cast, I would move after that to avoid being hit by anything. So it won't change any damage I did or didn't take, but if you want your splash weapons back based on the possibility that you would have thrown a javilin, I won't argue.

Third, when I picked up your spear and said it disappeared, that wasn't technically correct. In order for the spear to disappear, I'd have to tuck it into clothing or whatever. I didn't state I did that at the time. I assumed saying it disappears implied I tucked it into something to get it to poof. Ref Maurkov suggests that we retcon to say I dropped it after picking it up. Either is fine with me. I'm guessing, since you abandoned the spear in favor of the javilins, dropping it in it's square wouldn't have mattered. Either way is fine with me, I have spear of my own, so my current situation wouldn't change.

Fourth, if we're okay upto this turn, you'll see a scroll drop to the ground before the ray hits you. If that triggers your attack before the ray fires off, it doesn't matter because you miss me anyway.

Let me know what you think.

Maurkov
2008-04-18, 10:47 PM
Ref Maurkov

Re: point 1, the difference between a vial of alchemist's fire and a vial of healing potion would be? Technically, while an initiate ref (me) can't make up rules, like what is or isn't a weapon-like object, I can point out it takes rather obtuse parsing to interpret the "draw a weapon" of the second paragraph to mean the specific act of drawing a weapon rather than the move equivalent action in which it appears (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#draworSheatheaWeapon):

Draw or Sheathe a Weapon

Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move.

Re: Point 2 (and 4). If you can see invisible, you can read scrolls while invisible, but I wish you included that in your stat block (as well as including your stat block with more posts).

Re: point 3, I don't believe you can tuck a two-handed weapon away into the folds of your clothing, but again, it's beyond my rank. I would point out that the Slight of Hand feat only works to conceal light weapons.

stupnick
2008-04-18, 11:02 PM
well don't forget it's not just a two handed weapon, it's a two handed weapon 1 size catagory larger than he is.. it is a medium 2 handed weapon, and he is small sized..

not that it seems to matter, but i would have been able to target you easier if you would have been a little more clearer on things.

but i guess at the moment i don't have to much choice, as the match is pretty much over, and those "abuse" issues as you put it, wouldn't change much....

Mavian
2008-04-18, 11:05 PM
High Ref Mav:

Actually, you have a couple of options Stupnik, you can request a rewind to the point that the infraction was made, you can just continue the match as is, or you can ask for a rematch due to having received bad information that completely changed the potential outcome of the match.

stupnick
2008-04-18, 11:33 PM
well i am already 2nd level at this point. and i don't think it's worth another week or two, just to get 600g.... so let's just say it's over, and maybe for next time things will be realized.

chilepepper
2008-04-18, 11:41 PM
I do apologize for the mistakes. At least I'll know the correct things to do when we meet in the level 2 FFA. Good match.

Talic
2008-04-19, 12:34 AM
High Ref Talic

Chile II is declared the victor, and receives his prizes.

On a side note, Stupnick gets the good sportsmanship award. :)

chilepepper
2008-04-19, 01:06 AM
@maurkov
Sorry about not throwing in my stat block more often. Likewise, sorry about not including the see invisibility, stupnick was already visible and I didn't think about the scroll thing, so I didn't think it mattered. I also didn't worry about the stat block because I wasn't actively in battle. I made sure to include it when I attacked, but I should have posted it all along in the first place.

The difference between alchemist's fire and a potion is that alchemist's fire is in a vessel that is designed to break on impact and designed to be thrown. A potion of invisibility would have neither of those characteristics, IMHO. However, I can see your point of view. It certainly deserves a ruling, I'll inquire in the waiting room for future reference. As for the weapon versus weapon-like, I misread the rule. I also assume the free action part applies to weapon-like drawing.

As for the tucking into clothing. It doesn't specifically say you have to cover the item completely with your clothing, though I agree that is probably the intent. One thing I didn't consider is that his spear is larger than my spear. It's certainly arguable that his spear, being larger than a two handed weapon for me, is untuckable regardless.

@Talic, Stupnick
I absolutely agree with Talic. Kudos to you Stupnick for being understanding of my unintentional mistakes. Chile II officially buys a mug of ale for each of us. "Here's to you good sir!"

Maurkov
2008-04-19, 01:18 AM
@chilepepper, np. I try to run matches such that when the both sides eventually break open the spoilers to see what really happened, they can both say, "yeah, I deserved that." I realize that sometimes comes across as fixated on minutiae.

Thanks to both of you for being good sports.

stupnick
2008-04-19, 11:40 AM
congratz Chile, i looke forward to future fights at level 2, as well as future alt fights at levle 1