PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed fighters want +1 flaming weapons too! (Also, help me build one.)

Vazzaroth
2008-04-07, 04:15 PM
Is there any way for a fighter who is going to specialize in unarmed strikes (going reaping mauler) to be able to buy magical enchantments?

I've been told the Ward Cestus in Arms and Equipment sounds like it would, but after re-reading the description, it was obviously meant as a defensive item, even though it's an exotic weapon. I know that, in the end, thats DM call as to whether I can make my Ward Cestus' flaming, then by default make my unarmed attacks flaming, but is there an easier, more explicit way? I'm pretty sure I saw something about this in Magic Item Compendium, but I don't want to have to look through every item.

Basically, I know that Monks eventually get adamantin and "magical" fists for overcoming DR for a reason, and I don't want to over look that.

Zincorium
2008-04-07, 04:26 PM
Kensai class, complete warrior.

Enchant your hands with the PrC's class level worth of either enhancement bonuses or additional effects. Also can give a +8 bonus to strength (unnamed, so it stacks with a belt of strength) several times a day, which makes up for medium BAB.

Vazzaroth
2008-04-07, 04:30 PM
Good suggestion, did not think of that.

But is there any items that don't require class levels? The game I'm making this character for is only going to start at around 3rd or so level, so I won't have room for triple-classing too soon.

Indon
2008-04-07, 04:31 PM
Buying and enchanting gauntlets help your unarmed strike, but I think it might be up to your DM about if it helps your grapple or not.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-07, 04:32 PM
:smallconfused: Who dared you to play the reaping mauler? How much do you win if you do?

LoneGamer
2008-04-07, 04:35 PM
Amulet of Mighty Fists gives an enhancement bonus to natural weapons. It's core.

Vazzaroth
2008-04-07, 04:46 PM
:smallconfused: Who dared you to play the reaping mauler? How much do you win if you do?

I have always liked the Reaping Mauler class. I love the premise. This character is going on possessing no weapons besides some gloves or something that I'm asking for here.

If I am able to make a good build that competes with the other party members, it's its own reward. :smallbiggrin: Or something like that.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-07, 04:47 PM
There should be an ammy in Savage Species (I think that's the right book) that ups the damage of unarmed strikes. Not an enhancement bonus, but hurt is hurt.

SilverClawShift
2008-04-07, 04:51 PM
Isn't there some book that lists cloth wraps you can enchant as weapons and wrap around your knuckles? meant for monks, obviously, but still.

Vazzaroth
2008-04-07, 04:51 PM
I'm already using the Tome of Battle feat to get more damage. It's like a monk's, but one step lower than they would be at for their level. I was just worried about getting all my damage reduced by DR since I would be making mundane attacks, but I'm looking into those Mighty Fists, that should help that concern.

Edit:
Isn't there some book that lists cloth wraps you can enchant as weapons and wrap around your knuckles? meant for monks, obviously, but still.

Yes! This is exactly what I'm looking for!

I've seen it too... somewhere.

dman11235
2008-04-07, 04:55 PM
The AoMF is a trap! It's only good for creatures with 4 or more natural attacks. Otherwise, the Necklace of Natural attacks is what you want. Besides, it actually allows for things other than an enhancement bonus to be put on it. It's in SS. And flaming is a trap as well, wounding, collision, transmuting are much better, and then body-feeding or vampiric after that, and then more non-damage dice bonuses (though psychokinetic is acceptable).

Zincorium
2008-04-07, 04:59 PM
Good suggestion, did not think of that.

But is there any items that don't require class levels? The game I'm making this character for is only going to start at around 3rd or so level, so I won't have room for triple-classing too soon.

You can get +1 flaming fists with a kensai by level 7.

Unless your campaign is farther towards the monty-haul end of the spectrum than wotc's standard (which is already pretty treasure-heavy by most people's standards), you might not even have a +1 flaming sword by that point. Let alone a custom item that works for both of your fists.

If your DM is letting you have +1 flaming items at level 3, use them instead of your fists, eh?

AmberVael
2008-04-07, 05:02 PM
Why not just use gauntlets?
They don't have a set damage- they use your base damage as an unarmed strike. They just make your attacks lethal.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#gauntlet

dman11235
2008-04-07, 05:04 PM
Because gauntlets require you use them, they do not lend their power to your, say, foot. So if you have your hands full and perform an US, you won't get the bonus. But if you don't care that you have to use only your hands, then gauntlets are 299 gp cheaper, I think, may be less, than the NoNA.

Pie Guy
2008-04-07, 05:04 PM
Anyone can have flaming fists!
1. Take some oil
2. Take a match
3. Drop oil on fists
4. Use match to light fists on fire!

And if you need more than step 1, you should definitly do it!

(to everyone out there, don't actually do it)

holywhippet
2008-04-07, 05:07 PM
You could try getting an item enchanted to cast magic fang or greater magic fang.

Vazzaroth
2008-04-07, 05:08 PM
You have to individually enchant gauntlets too. And a DM might try to go crazy and enforce some kind of TWFing rule.

Also, What book does SS refer to?

BTW I chose flaming just because it's iconic. I probably won't use it, but something else.

Im thinking SS means song and Silence, which is 3.0, which were incorperated into the Complete series, WHICH MEANS that if it's not in those, I don't want to use it. I dislike combining editions, especially for magic items, since those tend to undergo the most change. :smallconfused:

Kantolin
2008-04-07, 05:12 PM
I'd swear I saw somewhere that you could enchant an amulet of mighty fists like you could to any weapon.

AmberVael
2008-04-07, 05:13 PM
The amulet that gives you all the natural attacks is a lot more expensive than gauntlets though. =/
Even the one in Savage Species. (Which is what SS refers to)

Vazzaroth
2008-04-07, 05:14 PM
The amulet that gives you all the natural attacks is a lot more expensive than gauntlets though. =/
Even the one in Savage Species. (Which is what SS refers to)

Ah yes, that one book I try to avoid because I dislike playing anything but core races. :smallwink:

But I have no problems with the items, Ill check it out. Thanks.

Kantolin
2008-04-07, 05:17 PM

Well yes, but it's by a lot the easiest method of getting yourself +1 flaming fists.

Or +1 flaming shoulder checks.

dman11235
2008-04-07, 05:19 PM
What in the description of the AoMF leads you to believe that they can be enchanted like a weapon? They can't, unless it's a houserule. It comes with a set enhancement bonus, up to +5, no exchanging for weapon qualities.

Also, you only have one unarmed strike! It does not matter that you have two fists, you only have one unarmed strike!

Vazzaroth
2008-04-07, 05:22 PM
With the necklace, since humans only really have 1 natural attack, it's just the cost of an enhancement +600 GP to get my stuff, right? That doesn't sound too bad.

And I know they only have one attack, but if you say "I kick the goblin", a DM may not let you keep your +2 to attack that your gauntlets have, and I sorta have to agree.

Kantolin
2008-04-07, 05:24 PM
What in the description of the AoMF leads you to believe that they can be enchanted like a weapon?

That was part of my original point, though... I'd swear I saw /somewhere/ that you could enchant said amulet like you could a weapon, up to +10 as per weapons, and it gave prices therefore.

I'm searching through books now. I thought it was the Arms & Equipment guide, but can't find it there.

Edit: Whoop, found what I was thinking of... I was thinking of Bracers of Armour and effective bonii (Which is in the A&E). So sorry, guess it's back to the drawing board of 'House rule'

_Puppetmaster_
2008-04-07, 05:34 PM
If you are a warforged, then you can use the battlefist.

Hzurr
2008-04-07, 05:39 PM
I think the "wraps that go around your fist and can be enchanted" are in the Magic Item Compendium, but that might be as a specific item. I'll check really quick, and post if I find something specific.

Toliudar
2008-04-07, 05:43 PM
For the third level don't have much money alternative - a ring of minor fire resistance and the aforementioned flaming oil could actually be fun. Tough to keep the flames going...unless your DM allows some kind of "oilsponge" gauntlets.

dman11235
2008-04-07, 05:51 PM
Possibly Hzurr, you are thinking of the Ki Straps? If so, those are not it. These are just +2 to your stinning fist, and are part of Gharran's Monastic Array.

@Vazzorth: That's what I was saying.

At level 3, you shouldn't have a magic weapon anyway though, so you'll just have to wait fr a while until you can afford the NoNA.

Also, what's wrong with races outside the PHB? Raptorans all the way baby! And pixies.

Vazzaroth
2008-04-07, 06:38 PM
I know I won't have much at 3rd. But I want to have a plan before I commit to a character.

And I just dislike everything that goes with Level Adjustment. (Yay 4th ed. ousting it.)

dman11235
2008-04-07, 06:41 PM
Rap. Tor. Ans. Best race evar.

Prometheus
2008-04-08, 12:06 AM
Gauntless are the easiest way to go. My ruling on the subjects is that they can flurry and receive monk unarmed base damage, but they cannot be used with stunning fist or quivering palm unless you take the gauntlets off.

dman11235
2008-04-08, 08:35 AM
The first part of that is a houserule. Monk's aren't even proficient with them, and they are not special monk weapons. But fighters are, so this character he is making should be fine if he does that. However I doubt that gauntlets are what you are looking for, because of flavor reasons (not hitting with your fists, hitting with something on your fists).

Darrin
2008-04-08, 09:52 AM
Is there any way for a fighter who is going to specialize in unarmed strikes (going reaping mauler) to be able to buy magical enchantments?

You might want to consider the Fist of the Forest PrC in CChamp. Somewhat easy entry for a fighter, the 1st level ability gives your unarmed damage a boost and allows your unarmed strikes to be treated similar to a monk's strikes (treats them as natural weapons, which IUS does *not* do), and the 2nd level ability treats your unarmed strikes as magical for the purposes of DR.

There's a few feats/abilities that can add flaming to your strikes. Kensai has already been mentioned, but I hate that PrC because the idiot to designed it didn't give it full BAB. Gauntlets should work fine, they're enchantable, they can be made from adamantine, and fighters are proficient with them.

If you want flurry, Shou Disciple can add that, use TWF (add two levels of Bloodclaw Master to get rid of TWF penalties), or pick up the Snap Kick feat from ToB.

Basically, I know that Monks eventually get adamtantin and "magical" fists for overcoming DR for a reason, and I don't want to over look that.

Ring of Adamantine Touch (6000 GP, MIC p. 121) should take care of DR/adamantine.

Burley
2008-04-08, 10:22 AM
Okay...the straps that give blah bla blah: Ki Straps. Meant for monks, usable by ninjas, they increase Ki and the uses of it. That's about all they do...

As for unarmedness, get gauntlets, have them masterworked, and attach a augment crystal to them. Then, when you have more money, have them enchanted to +1, and put better augment crystals on them. Then, when you have more money, you can put different enchantments on them.

Seriously...just get gauntlets, or even masterworked leather straps (same cost as a masterwork quarterstaff), have them enchanted, and break the nose of the guy who enchanted them, running away while he's stunned...or...sneak attack. For fun.

Stam
2008-04-08, 03:52 PM
Gee whiz, people.

Just go pick up the Bracers of Striking from Magic of Faerun. Cost ~900 gp initially, and then enhanceable as normal except priced for a double weapon. Affects unarmed strike only.

Vazzaroth
2008-04-08, 06:11 PM
Ok, because I've gotten good responses, Im also looking for any other help for making a fighter w/o weapons better. Mostly feats, since so many supplements have new ones and as a fighter it's what I have better than monks, and Items has been covered. Class suggestions are fine, but I don't intend to use any of those, Im pretty set as a Fighter/Reaping Mauler.

I just found a stone dragon stance from Tome of Battle that gives me constricting damage, and I can get it with only 2 feats. :smallbiggrin:

dman11235
2008-04-08, 08:34 PM
Please, for the sack of my sanity, do not take Reaping Mauler. It is very counter intuitive. You lose the PrC if you become large or larger. Yeah. Also, what is up with the abilities?

Initiate of Draconic Mysteries is nice (increased unarmed damage), but FotF will not be that useful to you, as the damage dice increase only applies to monks, otherwise you get 1d8/1d10 unarmed damage, and with SUS, it's worthless. Still a good 1 level dip though for con to AC. Barbarian for 5 levels taking the Bear Totem from UA (also found in the SRD linked in my Handy Haversack) is great for a grappler, as it gives you Improved Grapple and a +4 bonus while raging. Untyped bonus. My advice would be to start with this for the bonus feats that way. After that you can take fighter if you need to for bonus feats. Psychic Warrior might be preferred to fighter though, because it gives you powers like Expansion and Force Screen for two nice buffs. Use them at the start of battle (especially expansion) to become great.

Zyme
2008-04-08, 08:47 PM
Ok, because I've gotten good responses, Im also looking for any other help for making a fighter w/o weapons better. Mostly feats, since so many supplements have new ones and as a fighter it's what I have better than monks, and Items has been covered. Class suggestions are fine, but I don't intend to use any of those, Im pretty set as a Fighter/Reaping Mauler.

I just found a stone dragon stance from Tome of Battle that gives me constricting damage, and I can get it with only 2 feats. :smallbiggrin:

If you want magic hands, since with a monk or imp improved strike you consider yourself armed. You can have your fist enchanted with the permanency-magic fang combo.

Cost: have Permanency (greater magic fang) by a 20th level caster.
to cast: 50gp/level of caster•20level of caster+1500XP•5gp/1XP=8500gp

you have a +5 fist for only 8500 gp

...Eh?
2008-04-08, 09:28 PM
And flaming is a trap as well, wounding, collision, transmuting are much better, and then body-feeding or vampiric after that, and then more non-damage dice bonuses (though psychokinetic is acceptable).

Wait...transmuting? Isn't that the one that allows you to change your weapon into a different weapon of the same type? Cast on your fists?

SWORD ARMS

dman11235
2008-04-08, 09:35 PM
The problem with permanency: dispelling. Much less expensive to buy a third level PoP and give it to your party wizard and have him cast GMW on you every morning.

Transmuting lets you ignore DR. But sword arms would be fun. Or spork arms. Thank you Graft Weapon! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/graftWeapon.htm)

McMindflayer
2008-04-08, 10:00 PM
That was part of my original point, though... I'd swear I saw /somewhere/ that you could enchant said amulet like you could a weapon, up to +10 as per weapons, and it gave prices therefore.

I'm searching through books now. I thought it was the Arms & Equipment guide, but can't find it there.

Edit: Whoop, found what I was thinking of... I was thinking of Bracers of Armour and effective bonii (Which is in the A&E). So sorry, guess it's back to the drawing board of 'House rule'

It's a necklace of natural weapons.
It's 600 gp +enhancment x number of natural attacks.
Thus a human can put +5 onto it for 600+50k (since 50kx1=1)

Vazzaroth
2008-04-08, 10:12 PM
Please, for the sack of my sanity, do not take Reaping Mauler. It is very counter intuitive. You lose the PrC if you become large or larger. Yeah. Also, what is up with the abilities?

What are you talking about? It doesn't mention size except that you need to defeat larger foes to enter it. Besides, Im human, and I don't intend to cast Enlarge Self on me..

dman11235
2008-04-08, 10:28 PM
It requires Close-Quarters Combat, which requires that you are small or medium. And enlarging is one of the basic tactics that grapplers use, otherwise their checks may fail or they might not be able to grapple their opponent due to size complications (can't grapple something more than 2x larger than you).

Vazzaroth
2008-04-08, 11:11 PM
It requires Clever Wrestling, a feat used for escaping Larger creature's grapples. Which I see also requires medium or small. Either way, I really dislike playing large OR small creatures, and I wasn't going to be enlarging myself if I could help it.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I like knowing my options, as shown in this thread, but Im not going to be a munchkin and make all the best choices, compromising character concept.

Khanderas
2008-04-09, 02:46 AM
Letsee.. Flaming is +1 bonus worth, caster must be level 10 craft magic arms and armor and know fireball, flamestrike or flame blade.

Amulet of mighty fists, takes casterlevel 5, craft wonderous item and greater magic fang. Price 6,000 gp (+1), 24,000 gp (+2), 54,000 gp (+3), 96,000 gp (+4), 150,000 gp (+5).

So, 6k gold for an amulet of flaming fists ?
Madness ? Might be. I honestly dont know.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-09, 05:48 AM
Anyone can have flaming fists!
1. Take some oil
2. Take a match
3. Drop oil on fists
4. Use match to light fists on fire!

And if you need more than step 1, you should definitly do it!

I like the way this man thinks.