PDA

View Full Version : Swarms of Homunculi

Benejeseret
2008-04-07, 04:23 PM
Since homunculi get feats as they progress HD, has anyone tried taking Swarm Fighter for a group of crafted homunculi?

If Swarm Fighter works for ranged (seems to), I picture a mass swarm of Arbalester crossbows flying with Improved Homunculi and using Plunging Shot feat to rain death upon my foes.

Would this be a useful homunculi build at all? Is it better to focus on one or two powerful Homunculi or spread out and make such a swarm?

Also, can you equip them with rings, trinkets or other magical items like an animal companion? Can you directly infuse them with permanent magic items rather than just the bow?

Thanks

Bene

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-07, 04:31 PM
Sounds epic to me. Don't know if its possible though.

Benejeseret
2008-04-07, 04:44 PM
Epic?

A 1hd Arbalester cost a few grand (if even with feats) and fart less than 100XP with feats. Since I am making them I determine what their lvl1 feat is. Combined with cull essence adventuring gp....lots are not hard to make.

It is sure not low level stuff, but my high levels the artificer should be able to have lots of Arbalester.

By swarm I still mean less than ten.

The Glyphstone
2008-04-07, 04:58 PM
Watch out for Fireballs and other AoE spells...one wizard, and you're both out of your investment and taking a metric buttload of damage even from a zillion miles away - unless the homunculi link has a set range on the " death backlash".

Randel
2008-04-07, 10:54 PM
Dragonmarked has a spell available to those with the mark of making called "Summon Marked Homunculus" it summones a homunculus for 1 hour per level and it explodes when destroyed dealing 1d6 damage to those around it instead of dealing damage to you.

You can't improve on them so no flying alabasters unfortunatly, but you should be able to summon a whole bunch if you have plenty of pearls of power on hand. With extend spell then it can last even longer (though it might be cheaper to have lots of 1st level pearls of power intead of 2nd level ones)

Summon a bunch of them, send them at the enemy and if they get destroyed then they explode.

With a lesser mark of making or higher you can summon packmates and iron defenders. can't fly but if you happen to have some ammo for your packmates then you can create a decent army. Plus, all those pearls could be used to cast other spells if need be.

leperkhaun
2008-04-08, 12:14 AM
in general it doesnt work very well....homuculous tend to get blowed up pretty easy.