PDA

View Full Version : question from the rookie.

juggalotis
2008-04-07, 08:08 PM
me and my gf want to start playing the game but we done have anyone else. we are wondering if there are any premade DM sets ouy there so we can play relatively easilly without needing a dm.

Sleet
2008-04-07, 08:13 PM
I don't know of any GM-less games, but Expeditious Retreat Press (http://www.xrpshop.citymax.com/page/page/2561954.htm) makes premade adventures for one GM and one player.

Zincorium
2008-04-07, 08:32 PM
The problems with trying to design a game with no DM:

- No characters that aren't controlled by the players or acting out a simple script.
- Completely unable to handle any unusual ideas.
- Very, very stupid monsters.

Combined with the fact that being the DM isn't really that hard, and the motivation for companies to make fully-wrought RPGs that can play without a DM/GM/Storyteller is nonexistant.

In any case, it will not be 'relatively easy'. You'll have a lot easier time and more fun if one of you learns to DM. Even if you're not terribly good, it's a rewarding experience.

Icewalker
2008-04-07, 09:01 PM
Or, if you don't think you are ready for that, you could try a play by post game, here on the forums, with someone else to DM. I'm running one right now, and have been in several. Often they fall apart due to lack of interest, but they are still fun while they are going, and if you get good people they can be long.

Actually, I'm slowly working on an adventure for new players to run as a play by post because there is a friend I know who wants to start but I don't really know anyone else I can do it with in person...also, I suck as a DM in person, but with in pbp I can do an awesome job with the preparation time. :smallbiggrin:

Calinero
2008-04-07, 09:19 PM
There are a lot of premade adventures out there, but a game without a GM (even if it is possible) wouldn't be a lot of fun. I would suggest maybe looking online for one more player, or just around the community wherever you are, to bring it up to at least three, so one of you can DM. Or attempt a campaign (or, if this is your first time, maybe a dungeon crawl) with only one player and a GM.

Miles Invictus
2008-04-07, 09:25 PM

It's about as interesting as a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book. One where you replace most of the choices with dice rolls.

Dark Knight Renee
2008-04-07, 09:39 PM
It's almost impossible to play D&D without a DM. Even “cooperative storytelling” (IE sharing DMing duties (within a single session, not switching each session) while also playing PC characters, which is very different from standard D&D play) involves DMing. And that? I wouldn't advise it for beginners.

- No characters that aren't controlled by the players or acting out a simple script.
- Completely unable to handle any unusual ideas.
- Very, very stupid monsters.
Combined with the fact that being the DM isn't really that hard, and the motivation for companies to make fully-wrought RPGs that can play without a DM/GM/Storyteller is nonexistant.

In any case, it will not be 'relatively easy'. You'll have a lot easier time and more fun if one of you learns to DM. Even if you're not terribly good, it's a rewarding experience.

Emphasis mine. I don’t entirely agree with the struck-out parts, but if you’re trying to use a module and are dedicated to non-DMing, they are entirely likely. However, these also tend to happen with inexperienced or poor DMs, so it’s somewhat subjective…

But the bolded bits? I agree totally, based on personal experience. :smallannoyed:

Unless you really want to try something like that, I suggest you look for a Play by Post group online. The only other alternative would be a computer game, like NWN… (which, might I add, has CD-key issues that would require each of you to buy a separate copy in order to play multiplayer, even if you live in the same house. :smallfurious:)

Sleet
2008-04-07, 10:24 PM
People can and do play roleplaying games without a GM, but they're generally experienced players, and the game is not D&D.

Yeah, if you have just the two of you, take a look at some of Expeditious Retreat's 1-on-1 adventures.