PDA

View Full Version : Suggest to me character ideas

LibraryOgre
2008-04-07, 08:47 PM
Ok, I've been playing Blix, who I describe as more less "Belkar if he were a goblin who rode a wolf". He's a bit wiser, probably smarter, but his charisma is lower and he has the same propensity to tell everyone precisely what he is thinking and why they owe their lives to his overwhelming awesomeness (mind you, we are running a campaign where the primary opposition at this point IS goblinoids and giants).

However, he overlaps substantially with another character in the group; a halfling druid who rides a dog. And, while he's fun to play, the overlap in concept is a bit annoying... about anything I can do, she can do better.

So, I'm looking to start a new character. I've got the ok from my DM to be thinking about new characters, and he checks these boards from time to time, so there's no surprising him with them (unless I come up with something off the wall).

Our current party composition:
Halfling Druid (with racial substition); mounted combat, primarily
Human Paladin; also mounted combat
Raven Familiar, whose Elven Wizard we let accompany the party. :smallwink:
Human Priest
We've also got an NPC elf currently along, who I think is a wizard/warrior type.

I'm trying to come up with something that fills a new niche in the party and would function reasonably well without much equipment (at about 6th level). I'd like suggestions, because y'all's fertile minds are always good to get my juices flowing.

A couple ground rules:
1) No psionics. The DM has a psychotic hatred of psionics.
2) As few splats as possible to make it work; I've got a decent library, but I don't like juggling a ton of books, and I'm looking more for "neat" than "teh ueber".
3) I don't mind odd races, but I do want to be useful. EDIT: I've been moving away from the goblin thing, myself, simply because having the NPCs react to having a goblin in the party is getting old.

TheThan
2008-04-07, 09:17 PM
Lets see you have a priest, a druid, a wizard, a paladin and a since you said “like belkar”, I’m assuming you mean a ranger. Not counting the npc that leaves you with the rogue spot to fill. Which isn’t a bad choice. You can stick with a goblin, or go for something else, humans and elves make nice rogues, and dwarves if you want to surprise everyone.

Personally I’ve always had the idea to play a rogue as an Indiana Jones style treasure hunter. Which kinda makes sense for dwarves. An elf rogue could be an art collector that goes into dungeons and takes weapons and armor, and other types of art to display in his home.

Those came to me off the top of my head, when I get some more ideas I’ll post ‘em.

Rowan Intheback
2008-04-07, 09:20 PM
What is t e level and average alignment of the game? I wouldn't want to suggest something with a Level adjustment too high or an alignment that would keep you out of the party.

Miles Invictus
2008-04-07, 09:21 PM
Half-Orc Swordsage, spec'd for stealthery and scoutery.

Xan
2008-04-07, 09:24 PM
Be a spell thief, if you have complete adventurer its a decent option. They are incredibly fun (I'm playing one now in an underdark campaign) and fulfill that rouge slot open in your party while allowing you to do more than backstab and skill monkey. Some might argue that they are not as good as plain rogue, but stylistically they are tons of fun, and I remember some one on these forums had a crazy good spell thief build. I dont remember who they were but it convinced me on the spot that they were hella good, and from playing them I've found with the right utility/ sneaky bastard spell selection they can be quite quite useful. I could see a goblin spell thief really well, the image of a junkie comes to mind. Love the tingly feeling that spells make them feel and are willing to steal to get their "fix"

Kol Korran
2008-04-07, 09:32 PM
i'l lsuggest a character one of my players used, which was increadibly usefull, incrediblly fun, and which seems in line with what you described about your character-

he played a poisondusk lizardman (MM3 i think) Brb1/Rogx... why? well lets see... first the mechanics of the lizardman (i don't have the book with me, but the main points):

AC: +3 to nat, +1 due to small size, a bonus to dex... he was nigh-unhitable by normal means...
skill bonuses: a lot for swim, jump, balance, and about +9 to hide from size and changing colors. "now you see me, now you don't".
poison use: the main selling point actually- this guy loved his poisons, maxed Craft (poison making), and not being able to poison itself was REALY importent. i stil lremember an ankheg charging at him, and him shooting it with a poison bolt from a hand crossbow. ihe killed it out right..
just +1LA.

secondly- role play wise: this guy sounds very similar to blix. he was a snaeky, outspoken arrogant psycho-path, but he was realy, realygood at what he did. some examples(both actions, and roleplay):
- tumbling freely for poisoning sneaking damage.
- taking a particular joy at downing "warm bloods", and bigger people.
- often, when flanking in melee and against an enemy with a high fort save, he attacked with bite and claws for 3 enaks attacks (muliattack might come in handy as a feat).
- when losing his temper he raged, using his great flail (this is mostly an amusing roleplay application, especially since he changed colors as he bereserked!)
- constantly looking for herbs and ingridients for his more exotic poisons (the skill is in complete adventurer i think. just copy the page). the various poison were used to down various types of opponents. "i can bring down anyone you stupid warm bloods! got an arrow for every occasion..." he used to say to his party members, caressing his specially placed arrows lovingly, smiling at them maliciously "even you..."
- his thieving skills, increased movement from the barbarian class feature (40 ft. total, the race has 30 ft. base), and the bonuses to some of the skills meant he dominated maneuver on the battle field. this might be less true with a mostly mounted party, but a simple magic item or two can fix that.
- if you are going to have a mount, a little dinosaur might fit.
- as to equipment: my guy didn't carry much, other than the basic gear his major investments were into his poisons, alchemical stuff (tangle footbags, smoke sticks and other disabeling stuff), and very few magical stuff. he tended to love more the odd stuff (such a partial custom made deck of illusions...)
- a side character roleplaying idea he had, was to make the lizardfolk a gambler. he brought a deck of cards to the sessions, and based some of his decisions entirely on a single drawn card- "if it's a prince or higher, i say we trust this guy! if not, we dismemeber it and it his entrails!" oh, he was an extremist in nature, but he never actually forced his decisions down the party's throat...

in short, this was one of the most versatile, intriguing, amusing, and effective characters i've seen. and without using any magice. if you don't like the Brb, go with either only rogue, or add a level or more of ranger or scout.
tell us what you went with in the end.

JaxGaret
2008-04-07, 09:32 PM
Taking the same character idea you have but twisting it slightly, you could change Blix to be a Ranger/Scout with the Swift Hunter feat. You would just need to take a couple levels in Scout and the feat, then continue on with Ranger levels.

That way you're relying on your own two feet for a lot of your class features instead of the four feet of your mount. Plus it would cover the trapfinder part of the party (if you ever come upon a trap that needs finding/disabling).

LibraryOgre
2008-04-07, 09:33 PM
Average level is 6, and with my CN-by-the-grace-of-the-gods self out of the way, they're mostly Good-ish.

streakster
2008-04-07, 09:33 PM
Ahem.

Lolcat Warlock.

Be a tibbit, be a warlock. Enjoy.

"IS IT CAN BE DOOM TIEM NAOW?" When using fell flight: "INVIZIBLE PLANE!" Invisibility Invocation? "INVIZIBAL KITTEH IZ INVIZIBAL!"

You're an ungrammatical little cat with laser eyes. You will have fun.

JaxGaret
2008-04-07, 09:34 PM
Average level is 6, and with my CN-by-the-grace-of-the-gods self out of the way, they're mostly Good-ish.

Halfling Favored Soul of Olidammara sounds like a great character concept for you, then. :smallsmile:

"The gods chose me for a reason... heck if I know what it is though. Ooh, shiny"

DownwardSpiral
2008-04-07, 10:44 PM
Half-Orc Swordsage, spec'd for stealthery and scoutery.

I second this. Anything with ToB is made of win.

Want to stick with your goblin thing? Take shadow hand and do sneaky stuff. Or....you know. Always a good choice.

Prometheus
2008-04-07, 11:02 PM
I second the idea for a Rogue, it seems to be the role the party i looking for.

I played a paranoid goblin who was convinced (and right some of the time) that people were out to get him. He would insist on doing everything with stealth and keeping a low profile. He would even use his Search check to collect arrows after every battle, and I homebrewed a special feat to make him a unusually aware even when asleep. If Indiana Jones doesn't work out that's a good one.

There's also the idea of an outlandishly talented gymnast (I had a trapeze artist NPC), which is great fluff but unfortunately lacking in mechanics. The thief-acrobat is both weak and not fun to play, and there is little RAW incentive to overkill tumble checks. Maybe if you could get your DM to buff the Thief Acrobat or come up with some very helpful tasks to pull off with tumble (somersault attacks, wall jumps, jumping off of enemies, synergy bonus to disarm & trip, ability to extend reach, bonus to AC, attacking from being thrown or shot out of something, etc).

The Extinguisher
2008-04-07, 11:12 PM
Binder :D

Unless you don't want your DM to hate you.

Citizen Joe
2008-04-07, 11:39 PM
I've been posting these a lot lately but:
Brock Samson, The Venture Bros. as a paladin
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jpettit/BrockSamson.jpg

Robocop as a Warforged Paladin
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jpettit/Robocop.jpg

pheonix born fire genasai.
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3865/117247163252lx0.jpg

Hzurr
2008-04-08, 12:00 AM

Hehe, the only reason you say mostly good-ish is because you haven't been seeing all the notes that Ben has been passing to me. Trust me, Blix isn't the most evil member of the party.

Also, on a side note, in our other campaign as a last "hurrah" for 3.5, I'm actually allowing psionics for once. I feel very progressive about it. =)

And for those of you who are tossing out suggestions, I'll go ahead and let you know that the campaign is the Red Hand of Doom module, so feel free to make suggestions that would be useful with that in mind (although try to avoid spoilers). Right now they're in the Ruins of Rhest section.

Grynning
2008-04-08, 01:50 AM
If it's allowed, an Artificer would probably help out this party quite a bit - they can fill the some of the Rogue's disarming/lockpicking role and provide plenty of magical back-up. While the class can be made cheesy, if played sensibly it's a great addition to a melee heavy party like this one. Lots of book-keeping for your items though (as I've been finding out, my character in our Japan game is 8th level artificer). A goblin artificer could be really entertaining too - rank up craft alchemy and build lots of 'splodey stuff, and be just a little accident prone and reckless - hilarity will ensue.

The other suggestions have all been good though, so go with your gut on this one.

Talic
2008-04-08, 02:09 AM
Want neat? Try a devotion based cleric.

Run a high charisma race (several books have them, I like spellscale). Take cleric. Choose a good set of devotions (I like water, myself). Use turns to fuel them. A lot of people will point out the viability of others, but this build gives you the following:

Expendable meatshields - conserve party HP.
the ability to pick good or evil every day, and get 2d6 damage to a creature of that type with a Detect Magic, 3 times a day (no save). At higher levels, it's a bonus 2d6 on area/targeted spells (spellscale blood quickening).

The above concept character requires 2 books to make it work. Complete Champion, and Draconomicon. You can omit Drac, if you wanna give up blood quickening and drop your turn attempts by 1 each day.

Charity
2008-04-08, 02:30 AM
I would go for some sort of skill monkey if to intend to avoid everyone elses toes.
I'd say a Rogue/swordsage sounds quite shiny; racewise I'd avoid anything small (too much of that going down already), though with the appropriate feats you can do the whole dex to damage thing, TWF with daggers and all that jazz, so I'd be some sort of elf or some such, the poncier the better. :smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2008-04-08, 08:49 AM
Hehe, the only reason you say mostly good-ish is because you haven't been seeing all the notes that Ben has been passing to me. Trust me, Blix isn't the most evil member of the party.

Hell, that sounds like a CHALLENGE!

Also, on a side note, in our other campaign as a last "hurrah" for 3.5, I'm actually allowing psionics for once. I feel very progressive about it. =)

Got it. I'll amend that in the initial post.

And for those of you who are tossing out suggestions, I'll go ahead and let you know that the campaign is the Red Hand of Doom module, so feel free to make suggestions that would be useful with that in mind (although try to avoid spoilers). Right now they're in the Ruins of Rhest section.

Honestly couldn't remember the name of the module.

For everyone else, I've moved away from the goblin thing. While it's been fun, having all the NPCs react to the presence of a goblin has gotten a bit old.

SilentNight
2008-04-08, 09:05 AM
I second Korran's lizard folk idea partly because they are just awesome and also because at 6th level creatures will still be vulnerable to poison.

Sleet
2008-04-08, 09:21 AM
Ever want to play an archer? Here's your chance. Fighter 6, as many archery feats as you can muster. Carry some weird melee weapon as your backup (a pick or flail or something that nobody ever bothers with).

For added roleplaying goofiness, make him the older brother of the party's elven wizard. They don't get along, but have a strong sense of "Nobody beats up my brother but me!" :smallwink:

LibraryOgre
2008-04-08, 10:37 PM
So, I decided to give Hzurr a bit of a trial-by-fire with game mechanics he's not familiar with before his last hurrah campaign (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77192) (to which I haven't been invited... sniff... sniff...).

As such, I'm going to be playing a Githerzerai Swordsage... combining psionics and the Tome of Battle.

My ECL is 6, which means Swordsage 4, with a 2 LA. Currently, my thought is that I NEED Weapon Finesse (since I have a +6 to Dex), but feel free to disabuse me.

EDIT: Having done a bit more looking, I am thinking I'll wind up a bit like this:

Githzerai Swordsage 4
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Finesse
Discipline Focus: Weapon Focus: Shadow Hand
Discipline Focus: Insightful Strike: Stone Dragon

Stances: Step of the Wind (useful immediately because we're in a swamp, and likely to be in forests and the like; reasonable because I'm from Limbo, the king of "difficult terrain"); Child of Shadow
Maneuvers: Stone Bones, Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Counter Charge, Mighty Throw, Clinging Shadow Strike, Moment of Perfect Mind; Mountain Hammer, Shadow Jaunt

Anyone have any refinements to suggest? I think it creates a character who is nicely mystical and fun, but with a great bunch of options. I'm also considering dropping 1 level of Swordsage to have a level of Monk; it would negate the need to take my 1st feat as Improved Unarmed Strike, freeing that up for something else (something Psionic? Superior Unarmed Strike?), give me a bunch of weapon proficiencies, a bonus to my Fort Save, and only cost me 1 2nd level Maneuver (likely Shadow Jaunt).

Charity
2008-04-09, 04:53 AM
I have a BBEG at home that has some swirly good stuff, I will try to post some bits n bobs tonight... there is a feat that allows you to add dex to damage for a small set of weapons, I think it's a winner for this character.

LibraryOgre
2008-04-09, 11:21 AM
New refinement:

Githzerai Swordsage 3/Monk 1 (monk is an undetermined non-1st level)
Feats: Speed of Thought, Weapon Finesse
Monk Variant: Decisive Strike
Monk Feat: Stunning Fist
Discipline Focus: Weapon Focus: Shadow Hand
Discipline Focus: Insightful Strike: Stone Dragon

Stances: Step of the Wind (useful immediately because we're in a swamp, and likely to be in forests and the like; reasonable because I'm from Limbo, the king of "difficult terrain"); Child of Shadow
Maneuvers: Stone Bones, Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Counter Charge, Mighty Throw, Clinging Shadow Strike, Moment of Perfect Mind; Mountain Hammer

I'm putting in the Monk level because it gives me proficiency in a wide variety of weapons, including the very useful unarmed damage (since unarmed attack is a favored attack for 4 out of 6 swordsage styles, and a spear covers the other 2), a boost to my fortitude save, and access to some skills I might not have otherwise. Speed of Thought synergizes nicely with Sudden Leap (since having a 40 speed will give me a +4 to Jump, on top of the +2 from my Tumble being high, and my ranks). I don't need armor because of Interial Armor (my racial power, which lasts a total of 6 hours a day), giving me a healthy AC.

Anyone have any refinements or suggestions how to improve it?

FlyMolo
2008-04-09, 05:14 PM
Umm, I dunno If I'm still allowed to volunteer character concepts, but play a Thri-Keen PsyWar, or fighter or something. 4 arms? Yes please. Use a spiked chain and a pair of longswords for awesome. Then go into War Mind. Take Speed of Thought and Up the Walls, and ranks in Tumble snd Jump(NEVER MIND +30 racial). Be a ridiculous beast. Think praying mantis, and all the bad kung-fu movies you've ever seen, except you're a bug and you have 4 arms.

Run along the walls in a nest made of spiky chains and pointy bits of metal. Combat reflexes is a must, as you'll be able to exploit that. Stand Still too.

You can be a lockdown meat shield, AND kill things with your mind.

The LA for thri-keen is a beast, sadly. LA +2 and two RHD. But I think they're worth it. Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat, Full BAB for those RHD, some fun psi-likes, hefty NA, base land speed 40 ft, darkvision, immune to hold person, and a +30 bonus on Jump checks? Yes please. With Up The Walls, you can basically fly. Take a running jump, land on the ceiling, run along it, drop off and stab someone. Hack them to pieces. Poisonous bite 1/day for those pesky prisoners. In fact, this is awesome. I desperately want to play one of these now. Not good for a caster, but LA races never are.

Best of all, all you need is one splat, XPH.

Try to convince your DM PsyWar shoulda been a full BAB class. Look up Duskblade and other full BAB gish with limited spellcasting for comparison. Good luck with that. PsyWar really should have been full BAB, but what are you going to do?

Frosty
2008-04-09, 05:40 PM
Play a lesser-planetouched Tiefling or a Sun Elf and be a Beguiler.

You can never have too many casters in a party :smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2008-04-10, 10:13 AM
Truthfully, having read Thri-kreen of Athas, I can't image playing a thri-kreen in a wet environment.

EDIT: I've now got two builds that I'm considering. I'd like some suggestions on how to improve them.

Build 1: Githzerai Swordsage 3/Monk 1
This character would be using primarily light and monk weapons. His fighting style involves a lot of mobility combined with single, shattering, strikes. The level of monk adds good hand to hand damage and the stunning fist feat.

Swordsage 1
Skills: Balance, Concentration, Hide, Jump, Sense Motive, Tumble, K: Planes (will argue with DM to get this as a class skill, in place of K: Nature; he's a Githzerai, for crying out loud!)
Feat: Speed of Thought
Weapon Focus: Shadow Hand
Stance: Step of the Wind
Manuevers: Stone Bones, Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Counter Charge, Mighty Throw, Clinging Shadow Strike

Monk 1
Skills:Jump, Balance, Sense Motive, Hide, Tumble
Class Features: Decisive Strike, Stunning Fist, Unarmed Strike

Swordsage 2&3
Skills: As level 1
Feat: Weapon Finesse
New Stance: Child of Shadow
New Manuevers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Mountain Hammer

Build 2: Half-Giant Warblade 3/Psychic Warrior 2
He enjoys heavy armor, multiple yards of steel, and cleaving people in twain.

Warblade 3
Skills:Balance, Diplomacy, Jump, Concentration, Autohypnosis, Martial Lore
Stance: Stonefoot Stance
Manuevers: Stone Bones, Steel Wind, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Leading the Attack, Battle Leader's Charge
Feats: Power Attack, Rapid Assault (very unsure about this one; tempted to go with an Exotic Weapon Proficiency so I'm proficient with all of them... in serial, at least)
Class Features: Battle Clarity, Weapon Aptitude, Uncanny Dodge, Battle Ardor

Psychic Warrior 2
Skills: Autohypnosis, Jump, K: Psionics, Balance
Powers: Prescience, Offensive; Force Screen
Feats: Psionic Weapon, Psionic Meditation

avr
2008-04-10, 05:19 PM
One more level of swordsage would let you grab some 2nd level manoeuvre which adds lots of damage if that's what you're after, and puts you one level closer to swordsage 5, when you can get the Mind over Body manoeuvre which lets you substitute a concentration check for a Fort save. A swordsage gets WIS bonus to AC in light armour but not in no armour, so I'd get a mithril shirt and go swordsage 4 rather than swordsage 3 / monk 1.

LibraryOgre
2008-04-10, 05:57 PM
One more level of swordsage would let you grab some 2nd level manoeuvre which adds lots of damage if that's what you're after, and puts you one level closer to swordsage 5, when you can get the Mind over Body manoeuvre which lets you substitute a concentration check for a Fort save. A swordsage gets WIS bonus to AC in light armour but not in no armour, so I'd get a mithril shirt and go swordsage 4 rather than swordsage 3 / monk 1.

However, it does not net me a Monk's unarmed damage (1D6 v. 1D3), a monk's weapon proficiencies (increased threat ranges/critical multipliers), and armor is frequently useless for someone with a psi-like ability of Inertial Armor, which is just as good, if not better.

avr
2008-04-10, 08:45 PM
If unarmed damage concerns you, make that 2nd level manoeuvre Rabid Wolf Strike. 1d3 + 4d6 > 1d6 + 2d6, even if you get a crit. I don't understand the point about monk weapon proficiencies as a swordsages' are generally better - in what way is a kama better than any sword in terms of damage, crit ranges or threat multipliers?

Physical light armour may not be better than inertial armour, but it doesn't have to be worse. It may seem like a waste of a psi-like power, but I think wasting a level is worse. Just my 2c.

LibraryOgre
2008-04-10, 09:04 PM
Point taken. I'll take a look.

mikeejimbo
2008-04-10, 09:13 PM
Ahem.

Lolcat Warlock.

Be a tibbit, be a warlock. Enjoy.

"IS IT CAN BE DOOM TIEM NAOW?" When using fell flight: "INVIZIBLE PLANE!" Invisibility Invocation? "INVIZIBAL KITTEH IZ INVIZIBAL!"

You're an ungrammatical little cat with laser eyes. You will have fun.

This is awesome. Where is the tibbit? I must play as this.

Charity
2008-04-11, 06:47 AM
OK Mark I have finally dug out the ToB build that he who shall not be named very kindly built for me to be part of a BBEG team for my players.
She was a ton of fun to play, and whooped the party's ass on the first meeting

Sharaya Dar, Hobgoblin Swordsage 1/Psychic Warrior 2/Swordsage +3. Stat priority: DEX/WIS/CON/STR/CHA/INT. Use Partial BAB. Swordsage 1: Discipline Focus[Shadow Hand]; Swordsage 4: Insightful Strike[Tiger Claw]
Feats: Shadow Blade (1), Weapon Finesse (PW 1), Instant Clarity (PW 2), Two-Weapon Fighting (3), Adaptive Style (6).
If you allowed flaws, add the Shaky flaw for the Extra Readied Maneuver feat.
Swordsage Maneuvers Known: (1) Counter Charge, Burning Blade, Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Moment of Perfect Mind, (2) Fire Riposte, Shadow Jaunt, (3) Mind Over Body, Devastating Throw
Maneuvers Readied: Devastating Throw, Burning Blade, Wolf Fang Strike, Mind Over Body, Shadow Jaunt.
Stances Known: Island of Blades, Child of Shadow. Use Island of Blades to gain flanking when you couldn't, but start in Child of Shadow; move for concealment and combine it with single-attack Strikes.
If things are looking bad, use Shadow Jaunt to get the heck out of there.
Equipment: (+1) Mithral Chain Shirt, two MW daggers, Potion of Cat's Grace.
Psionic Powers Known: Force Screen, Chameleon.
I'm sure you could fiddle it into a character tha suits

LibraryOgre
2008-04-11, 12:40 PM
I've more or less settled on the half-giant, with the LA bought off and no levels of psychic warrior.

LibraryOgre
2008-04-12, 01:58 AM
I went with a variant of the Half-Giant Warblade. My Hzurr let me do a level buy-off, so I wound up with a Level 6 Warblade; no levels in Psychic Warrior.

Skills: Balance, Jump, Concentration, Martial Lore maxxed, with partial points to Intimidate, Diplomacy and Tumble.
Stances: Stonefoot Stance and Punishing Stance
Manuevers: Stone Bones, Steel Wind, Charging Minotaur, Mountain Hammer, Battle Leader's Charge, Bone crusher
Feats: Power Attack, Psychic Weapon, Combat Reflexes (5th level bonus), Psionic Meditation
Class Features: Battle Clarity, Weapon Aptitude, Uncanny Dodge, Battle Ardor, Improved Uncanny Dodge

We didn't have a lot of combat with this character (my previous character got legitimately killed off this game... an ettin squashed him), but he made a 10-foot standing leap onto the back of something called a razorfiend, then combined the Bonecrusher and Psychic weapon (and Large Greatsword and 2 points of Power Attack) to slam it for 45 points of damage. 9D6+12 damage. What with the leaping and the dice rolling and the gonzo, it was like Palladium combat.