PDA

View Full Version : Core Spells and Feats for an Archivist

Hawk7915
2008-04-07, 08:58 PM
Hiya, there's a lot of "firsts" for me here: first post on the forums, first time playing D&D. I rolled up my character the other day, and decided to play Archivist. I'd been lurking around this site for a while, and it seemed like a fun choice as a healer/support character that wasn't tree-hugging or super religious. My DM approved the "Heroes of Horror" excerpt I brought. So now...what spells and feats do I take? I have no clue, honestly.

As far as books go, we have...core. My class isn't core obviously, but that's the only resources I'll be able to draw on.

Here's what I look like at first level, if that helps. I can probably switch feats and spells before we actually start playing if I chose...poorly.

Armand - Lawful Good Human Archivist
Str: 10
Dex: 13
Con: 12
Wis: 13
Int: 16
Cha: 12

(crappy, crappy die rolls)

Spells:
All Cleric 0-level

1st level:
Summon Creature I
Cure Light Wounds
Doom
Shield of Faith
Cause Fear
Obscuring Mist

Feats: Endurance, Combat Casting

Potential PrC: Loremaster...is it worth it?

Thanks in advance! :smallbiggrin:

Miles Invictus
2008-04-07, 09:15 PM
Straight archivist is probably better. You don't need to take crafting feats, you keep a good Fort save progression, and you have a better subset of skills (Diplomacy, Heal, and Search).

Why are you taking Endurance and Combat Casting? I can think of a number of core feats that'll help you be a better archivist -- Skill Focus (Concentration), Skill Focus (Knowledge), Spell Focus, Spell Penetration...

Nohwl
2008-04-07, 09:22 PM
you can cast any divine spell. that means you can use cleric spells, druid spells, ranger spells, paladin spells, adept spells and domain spells. you only learn a couple cleric spells a level, so make sure to buy scrolls to copy into your spellbook.

Chronos
2008-04-07, 10:41 PM
Straight archivist is probably better. You don't need to take crafting feats, you keep a good Fort save progression, and you have a better subset of skills (Diplomacy, Heal, and Search).Well, Loremaster also gives Heal, and Search is only really useful if you have Trapfinding (you don't). Whether it hurts to lose Diplomacy depends on who else is in your party. As for the prerequisites, you get Scribe Scroll for free, that's one, and you'll probably want to take a couple of metamagics anyway (and you'll certainly be maxing out at least two knowledge skills).

In return, Loremaster would give you more skill points, Lore, and the various secrets. It's not all that much you gain, but really, it's the best option available in Core. All you'll lose is progression of your Dark Knowledge ability, but you make up for that by having more points to spend on the relevant Knowledge skills.

The key strength of an Archivist is that you can pick and choose your spells from any list you want. This can obviously get you spells which wouldn't be available to a cleric, but it can also get you some spells at lower level than normal. For instance, Lesser Restoration is a first-level spell for paladins, and Delay Poison is a first-level spell for rangers, so they're both first level for you, too. Also make sure to take a good look at the Adept spell list and the various domain spells, since they can get you some wizard-ish spells in addition to your cleric-y spells (Web off the Adept list, for instance).

Oh, and your dice rolls there are actually pretty good. If I'm counting correctly, that's equivalent to 30 point buy, while 4d6 drop lowest averages at about 25 point buy. And you've got one nice high score, and a bunch of slightly above-average scores, which is exactly what a full caster does best with.

Cuddly
2008-04-07, 11:02 PM
You may want to look at spells that don't involve saves. Archivists use int for spells/day and wisdom for the DC of their spells.

Longstrider is a pretty good level 1 spell that lasts hour/level and enhances speed by 10 feet. Before you can be flying around all day, it's always handy to get to zip around.

Goodberries can be quite good, as they last for days and you can accumulate some during down time. Produce flame is a decent spell for offense, as it's just a touch attack. Call lightning is not so good.

Entangle's good, despite having a save.

Enlarge person can be very good to put on a party tank, disguise self has utility,.

BardicDuelist
2008-04-07, 11:24 PM
Scribe scroll allows you to work with a cleric, paladin, etc to scribe a divine scroll to copy into your spellbook. I think copying a scroll you helped scribe gives a circumstance bonus to copying it in your spellbook (if not, it should and I could see a DM allowing it).

Ganbor
2008-04-08, 02:38 AM
You may want to look at spells that don't involve saves. Archivists use int for spells/day and wisdom for the DC of their spells.
Backwards - DCs are Int based, Bonus spells come from WIS.