PDA

View Full Version : The Red Hand of Doom

Pages : [1] 2

TehJhu
2008-04-07, 09:13 PM
Here's the IC thread for the RHOD. Please keep OOC posting to a minimum other than the obvious descriptions of what you're doing. Please do any dice rolls here as well, and while you don't have to spoil the rolls ect... it does make everything much prettier to look at :smallsmile:

Once I get the OOC thead set up I'll start the game off in here.

TehJhu
2008-04-07, 10:09 PM
It was about a month ago that you and your companions cleaned out an old castle that'd been overtaken by lizard folk in the southern nation of Guidon. Deep in the bowels of that place's depths the five of you came across a map leading to a land far to the east, a place caled Elsir Vale and an old keep known as Vraath. Here surely there are treasures worth the long journey, and there was little work to be had in the lands of the west anymore.

The caravan you'd ridden with had dropped you off at the city of Brindol and from here you all traveled hard over several days towards the town of Drellin's Ferry with the plan of launcing your search for Vraath Keep in the so-called 'Witchwood' from there.

The days have been suffocatingly hot. With no wind worth mentioning and the sun pounding down on you from a couldless sky. Still, spirits are high as you should be reaching Drellin's Ferry soon. After so many days on the road, even a border town seems a haven.

Here's your chance to introduce your character and work out any background you want cleared up. Once everyone is ready, we'll move on.

Orran
2008-04-08, 04:27 AM
Phalius walks ahead of the other party members slightly, enjoying the freedom from stifling armor that his craft grants, or rather requires. He turns and walks backwards in order to look at his companions, seeing behind him the strong stout figure of Dalor gave him confidence that they would find the treasure and vraath keep soon. After Dalor's imposing prescence was that of Prince Longlance the Halfling champion of Yondalla, what good a deity could get from a follower that wouldn't even be able to reach their feet to kiss them who knows? At least he's an honest sort though.

Phalius turnsto the halfing "Longlance, shouldn't you have a riding dog or something with which to propel that lance of yours? I'd hate to see a Paladin relegated to throwing stones." Phalius says this good-naturedly as companions of the road would when joking.
"Still I suppose that would be effective against the scum we've been fighting, lets hope for something with a bit of bite next time."

On the other side of Dalor and the Halfling were the other two humans of the group, Varech and Gelu, the Psion and the ranger. Phalius doesn't really understand psionics, his primary concern is with magic, Phalius regards it as just another form of magic. Phalius is indifferent about Gelu, he's just a glorified archer for all he knew, unsurprisingly Phalius' ignorance of them generally meant that he got along better with Dalor and Longlance.
Upon completion of his banter Phalius drops back from infront of the group, rejoining his friends.

"Lets get down there and get us some food, I'm starving."

SamTheCleric
2008-04-08, 06:09 AM
"We need ta' move along. This cursed heat is bakin' me in my full plate. How much farther do we have to go?" Dalor inquires, swear dripping down his face and into his matted beard. He remains vigilant, however, eyes watching the horizon.

"Phalius, why don't ya magic us up a nice keg, colder than a frost giant's nether regions?" he smiles, loosening his axe and giving it a few swings in the air to adjust his balance to the overwhelming heat.

Orran
2008-04-08, 06:31 AM
"You know I can't do that kind of stuff, I burn things, not cool them." Phalius replies. He then gets a waterskin and some rations out of his pack.
"Maybe we should stop for a rest and some food, let Dalor catch his breath" Phalius takes a drink from the waterskin and hands it to Dalor, still standing with some nuts and cheese, but slowing his pace.

"Don't finish that, theres not too much and we don't know if we'll find another stream in this heat"

kamikasei
2008-04-08, 06:43 AM
"A rest sounds good," Varech agrees. He has been uncomplaining in the heat, but the sheen of sweat on his skin says enough. He finds a place with the others, unslings his pack, and sits kneeling with his long spear crooked in his arm and propped up against his shoulder.

"How close are we? Does anyone know?" he inquires after a mouthful from his waterskin.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-08, 07:52 AM
"Moradin bless ya, boy." Dalor doesnt even bother getting off the beaten path, he simply sits down in the center of the road, taking a meager mouthful from the waterskin.

He peers into the distance, squinting against the light, "I don't see any witches or any woods. Let's eat."

Orran
2008-04-08, 08:41 AM
Phalius finds a reasonably large rock by the roadside and sits down to eat.
"Does that map we have say where Drellin's Ferry is and how long it will be till we're there?" Phalius looks at the others, trying to remember who has the map.
"And what will we do once we're there? Who would know where vraath keep is."

Phalius finishes his food, feeding bits to his weasel familiar occasionally, and after a minute or two waits patiently for an indication to leave from the others.

I'm ready to leave when you guys are, my intro is done.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-08, 10:24 AM
Laius lifts his head to the heavens and closes his eyes in meditation and heaves a long, weary sigh. All that he sees is the bright hot red of the Sun's glare from behind his eyelids. Though beneath the suit of plate and chain mail, his padded armour is soaked nearly through and through, he still feels a chill and shudders...

Blood, so much blood
Oh wrath, belay thy dread flood
Blare not thy clarion call to rage and rot...

With his hands clasped behind his head, his fingers locked through his head of auburn curls, Laius whistles the jaunty tune to Summer's Come Again. Judging by the beard-reek, the sweat-stench and the unmistakable voice, Laius stumbles over to Dalor's side, reaches up and grasps the dwarf's broad shoulder then recites,

"From summer's fire and winter's frost
Gnash not thy teeth in being lost
Fear no scouring wind
Their teeth I rescind
I ward thee, dear one,
From weathers be free
From darkness be free
So mote it be"

((Cast Endure Elements on Dalor))

After the prayer, Laius stretches his neck and his arms, working the kinks out of heavy-burdened muscles. Calling out to his comrades in a voice that is surprisingly deep and rich for a man so small, he says, "Well, comrades, does anybody else feel unduly discomfited by the summer heat? Methinks I have one more measure of Yondalla's grace at hand for the weather..."

Moving with a grace that belies the bulk of his load, he still manages to leap up and literally scamper to the rock's top to sit and eat with Phalius. There, looking the man eye to eye, the exiled prince replies to the mage's earlier inquiries, "Well, well, well my good fellow, you ask after my mount and my namesake weapon, eh?"

Laius spreads his pauldroned and vambraced arms and twists his torso left and right, a phantom of a mischievous smile in his eyes as he gestures, mimelike at the various weapons upon his person. His bronze-fleshed hands flick at silvern pommels in his boots and belt-sheaths--- four daggers...

He winks his brown eyes at all and sundry then jumps back onto the ground, landing heavily and raising a cloud of dust. Undeterred, he smiles and bows...

Suddenly, he whips out one dagger and spins it through the air and it is followed by the other, forming two deadly grey flowers of juggled steel. With his right hand busy juggling the two fang-shaped daggers, his left hand loosens the straps on its shield. Giving it a toss, he passes it to a one-handed grip by the rim. Still spinning the two daggers with the right hand, he suddenly gives them both a flick of the wrist, sending them spinning high into the air, bright sunlight scintillating off the fine steel blades.

A sheen of sweat gleams off the bronzed halfling's brow. His breathing is strained as he cranes his sight upward. Sensing the daggers' descent, he slips out his sling and with that strip of leather lashes the tips of the blades as they fall, giving them one last spin and catching them in the hollow of his shield.

Still not speaking, Laius resheathes his weapons then reaches into his pack and produces an apple, lush and green. He tosses it into the air and then lashes out with his scimitar, its crescent-blade screaming down in a swift arc from his right shoulder, from the leathern scabbard on his back. A couple of moments later, he tosses an apple slice apiece to Phalius and Varech.

Doing a mock-bow and with his diminutive chest heaving slightly from the exertion, Laius clambers back up onto the rock with the mage. His tabard and tunic, once white as snow but now defiled by the dust of countless leagues, are now drenched in sweat--- both from the performance and from the sun's blazing heat.

He runs his right hand through his unruly auburn curls, stuffs the last apple slice into his mouth and laughs long and loud. Finishing his little bout of madness, the exiled prince punches the mage's shoulder and says, "Still wondering about where my helmet and lance and mount are? Heh. I don't need a helm in heat like this; my lance is a bit too cumbersome to carry afoot and Truefang? Yeah, the mastiff who's about a head taller than you, well, he's still in Celestia. I'll probably call him down after this little noontide rest of ours... even dogs need a break, eh?"

With that, he leans back against the bole of the tree adjacent to the boulder they are sitting on and digs out a handful of strips of beef jerky. Laius the tears into the rude meal with as much savagery as he had done back in the days of innocence when such allegedly rude manners were frowned upon by his fellow nobles. "Vhant shome?" he says, offering some of the frugal trail rations to his comrades.

"AHH... hoooowaaaa..." he sighs as he washes down the meagre meal with a guzzling of lukewarm water from his now-steaming waterskin. "Well, y'all might already know where I got my tricks... before anybody says I'm crazy, let me just say, my good fellows, that those were tricks I learned back at the monastery of Sorayta's Rest and we used them to both train our reflexes and entertain the commonfolk in the nearby villages"

Re-capping and re-shouldering his waterskin, he remarks, "Vraath Keep, eh? Sorry, the map isn't with me, but "Vraath" sounds like a Goblin word... yeah, I learned a smattering of their vile tongue when I was hunting them filthy, evil murdering, shadowspawned buggers..."

Orran
2008-04-08, 10:48 AM
OOC: Now that was an awesome post, nice RP

IC: Phalius remains silent throughout the halfling's display, and when it is finished gives a round of applause and a mirthful laugh. "Impressive skills, and a delicious apple, what more could I want from a performance? That is indeed enough proof for me; Not every Paladin has a stick up his ass!"
Phalius stand up and claps his hands once more.
"Right, I believe it's time we got going, we've had our half-time treat"

SamTheCleric
2008-04-08, 11:27 AM
"Laius, if ya' were a woman, I could kiss you." Dalor smiles his appreciation, lifting himself up with renewed vigor. He slowly tests the weight of his axe before returning it to it's sling. "Maybe I'll let Moradin know that he owes Yondalla one. He's bound to accept the debt." He chuckles heartily before resuming the steady march to unknown lands.

TehJhu
2008-04-08, 01:57 PM
The map you all aquired in Brindol indicates that Drellin's Ferry should only be another hour or so away. At this rate you'll reach it in about an hour, just after noon.

As soon as Gelu posts we'll continue. But the forum is acting really wonky here.

Incarnum3
2008-04-08, 03:26 PM
Gelu Ryland works out a knot in his hair with his hands, smoothing the now untangled section flat with his palms, and shaking his head to get the hair out of his face. He walks easily and gracefully, a smile present upon his face despite the sweltering heat. He sits down near his companions in a comfortable silence, leaning back and sipping from his waterskin. As the halfling performs his tricks, Gelu's smile widens and he laughs appreciatively at his nimble friend. As Laius concludes his performance, Gelu claps enthusiastically and laughs as he addresses the halfling.

Ah, Laius, you make a traveling man's life a lot more pleasant, and that's the truth. Heck, if I could do half the tricks you could, I'd abandon all this fighting and take myself touring the cities. I have to admit, I've been enjoying this journey, despite the damned heat. Not that I'm saying I don't want to get to Vraath's Keep and pick up some nice treasure. Heck I'm ready to move out as soon as y'all have caught your breath. I say, the sooner we get there, the better.

He winks back at Laius and leans back once again, peering to the cloudless sky in content.

TehJhu
2008-04-08, 04:50 PM
(assuming everyone moves along)

You all continue down the trail for another ten minutes or so. Its a dusty old trade route and gradually you pass out of the rolling hills that have been the dominate feature of Elsir Vale and into a more wooded area that wouldn't quite call itself a forest.

The road crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large, shallow dell. And abandoned farmhouse, visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road.

You've passed plenty of old abandoned buildings like this over the last few days, they're thicker out here on the borderlands. As you walk down into the dell, both Galu and Varech feel a tingle down there spines. Galu spots a humanoid form, cleary a hobgoblin, crouching in the trees the group had just walked past. Varech sees less clearly, only making out a glint of metal in sunlight.

Before either men has a chance to call a warning, the hobgoblins leap from their cover, drawing bows and taking aim.

Galu and Varech can both act in the suprise round. Laius, Dalor, and Phalius are all suprised by the hobbos.

Hobgoblin Initiative- 20 (sorry guys :smalleek:)

Incarnum3
2008-04-08, 05:13 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Gelu draws his bow in a blur, nocking arrows to his bow and firing them in quick succession. He thought of asking their intentions for a split second, until he saw their bows aimed at himself and his friends. He aims for the hobgoblin closest to him, hoping that his experience in fighting goblinoids will give him aid.

"Watch out! We've got some visitors!", he yells back towards his companions.

Using Rapid shot.
Attack 1:[roll1]
Attack 2:[roll2]
Attack 3:[roll3]
Damage 1:[roll4]
Damage 2:[roll5]
Damage 3:[roll6]
(subtract 1 from the attack rolls if they aren't within 30 feet.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-08, 05:21 PM
"What are ya' talkin' about, Gelu? I don't see anythin'!"

Initiative [roll0]

Incarnum3
2008-04-08, 08:15 PM
Gelu smiles as his arrow hits the mark, but does not let his guard down for a second. He glances over his shoulder towards Dalor and warns his teammates.

Hobgoblins up ahead, and they have bows. Looks like we're not gonna have an easy journey anymore, gentleman.

Orran
2008-04-08, 09:07 PM
Initiative [roll0]

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-09, 12:36 AM
Truefang growls and rears as the hobgoblins' ambuscade. Laius clutches at the saddle's pommel in the sudden moment of unreadiness.

As the massive mastiff comes back to the ground, baring thick yellow canines, hackles risen, Laius nods his head and the helmet's visor clangs down. His bass voice calls out to his comrades, "Good spotting, Gelu! Comrades! To arms!"

The exiled prince lowers his lance into a battle-ready position, couching it in a gauntleted fist. "Dhec oc daan dhech, dhel'dec shagaac!", he yells at the goblinoid ambushers in their own harsh tongue, as he and his mount prepare to charge.

[roll0] Initiative
(("Fight on the field, filthy cravens!"
Credits to Jhonen Olain's Eberro Translator))

kamikasei
2008-04-09, 01:18 AM
Varech's entire body seems to tense and then immediately relax before he bursts into movement. With surprising speed he moves up between his allies and the ambushing hobgoblins, whipping his spear around himself to remove the covering on the blade and bringing it round to strike at the nearest enemy.

He speaks, but to the hobgoblins, not his friends. "Turn back."

Actions:
swift: manifest Hustle (3pp, gain an additional move action)
move: (from Hustle) move to within 10' of the nearest hobgoblin. Will try to position himself between the bulk of the hobbos and the party. Draw weapon while moving.
standard: (from surprise) attack on nearest hobbo.
Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
AC 17, 12 touch, 15 flat-footed
HP 42/42
PP 14/17

Orran
2008-04-09, 05:40 AM
OOC:Once the hobgoblins have had their move (How many hobbos are there?) it will be Phalius as he has the next highest initiative, unless I am mistaken somehow

If I'm not in a threatened square:
Standard action to use scorching ray on a hobbo within 40ft
Ranged touch Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Movement action to move behind one of the other characters combined with drawing my crossbow(or into range or LOS if scorching ray isn't possible)

If I'm in a threatened square:
Standard action to defensively cast invisibility
Defensive casting check DC17 [roll2]
If check succeeds I will then move away from the hobgoblins behind another character, If it fails, 5ft step away, move action to draw dagger.

I'll wait for details before posting RP

TehJhu
2008-04-09, 11:19 AM
Varech's entire body seems to tense and then immediately relax before he bursts into movement. With surprising speed he moves up between his allies and the ambushing hobgoblins, whipping his spear around himself to remove the covering on the blade and bringing it round to strike at the nearest enemy.

He speaks, but to the hobgoblins, not his friends. "Turn back."

Actions:
swift: manifest Hustle (3pp, gain an additional move action)
move: (from Hustle) move to within 10' of the nearest hobgoblin. Will try to position himself between the bulk of the hobbos and the party. Draw weapon while moving.
standard: (from surprise) attack on nearest hobbo.
Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
AC 17, 12 touch, 15 flat-footed
HP 42/42
PP 14/17

You only get a standard action in the suprise round. I'll let you manifest hustle and move towards the goblins?

TehJhu
2008-04-09, 11:41 AM
(Assuming kamikasei dosn't mind just running towards a hobbo)

Suprise Round Summary:

Hobgoblin A- fires an arrow at Gelu and misses.

Hobgoblin B- fires an arrow at Varech and misses. (Your sheet says your AC is 12, I'm really hoping you just forgot to add the AC from your shirt.)

Hobgoblin C- fires an arrow at Gelu and misses.

Hobgoblin D- fires an arrow at Varech and misses.

Hobgoblin E- fires an arrow at Dalor and misses.

Hobgoblin F- fires an arrow at Laius and misses.

Gelu- fires an arrow at Hobgoblin E and hits, dealing 10 points of damage.

Varech- manifests hustle and moves up toward Hobgoblin F.

A storm of arrows flies from the underbrush near the path. Varech and Gelu seem to be the main targets, their reactions to the hiding hobgoblins causing them to stand out. The warriors dodge the arrows deftly, Gelu returning fire and striking his target squarely in the gut. The monster roars in pain, but remains standing. Varech moves like a blur, headed for the hobgoblin on the opposite side of the road.

To try and give a better idea of the combat area, there are currently six hobgoblins attacking, three on either side of the road. Your group is even with the last two in the line, the other four you've already walked past. The last two are about 25ft from you, with the farthest being about 40ft away. I'm assuming Phalius is in the back?

Orran
2008-04-09, 03:03 PM
OOC: Since we were just travelling and I have the highest movement (I think) I would assume that Phalius would of been at the front of the group, and therefore furthest from the hobgolins.

My initiative makes me next definitely, I'll stick to what I said earlier and those rolls, if thats ok. If so I've almost certainly just done 17 damage to a hobbo, unless their touch AC is above 18.
Just a reminder of my actions
None: 5ft step (if necessary for LOS)
Standard: scorching ray
Move: draw crossbow

Phalius sees arrows fly past and spins round muttering the words of power, after a brief moment a ray of fire shoots from his outstretched hand to hit one of the hobgoblins. As he takes in the ambush and the other 5 hobgoblins Phalius takes his crossbow from his belt, ready for an opportunity to shoot any of them.

Incarnum3
2008-04-09, 03:14 PM
Gelu smiles as his arrow finds the mark, but quickly reloads, firing 3 arrows in succession at the hobgoblin he had already injured. He focuses all of his energy into the thin shaft of wood in his hand, sending it off with unmatched force.

Rapid shot (for real this time).
Attack 1:[roll0]
Attack 2:[roll1]
Attack 3:[roll2]
Damage 1:[roll3]
Damage 2:[roll4]
Damage 3:[roll5]

SamTheCleric
2008-04-09, 03:31 PM
"Hidin' behind your bows?! I'll take care of that!" Dalor dashes forward quickly, unlatching his axe as he charges the nearest hobgoblin. With a surge of might, he lowers the axe in a deadly arc.

+2 for Charge, +1 for goblinoid, -3 for power attack [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

HP 59/59
AC 22 (-2 for charging)

kamikasei
2008-04-09, 04:05 PM
Varech doesn't waste time continuing to warn or intimidate the hobgoblins. He interrupts the motion of his spear only to call out to his companions.

"Keep one alive at least. We'll want to know why they attacked."

Whether I got to make that attack in the surprise round or not, I don't imagine it'd have connected... so, trying again, this time I will attempt to trip the target:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (if the trip succeeds, Improved Trip grants a free melee attack)
[roll3]

Outside my own turn, Varech has three Attacks of Opportunity that are half the point of his build, so here's how I'd like to use them: if anyone provokes an AoO by moving towards him or towards poor squishy Phalius, he'll use Stand Still to stop them in their tracks (they get a reflex save vs. damage dealt, or they halt). If someone manages to provoke an AoO moving away from him, he'll make a trip + attack combo as above. Given how everyone's spread out, I don't imagine it's likely to come up.

Of course, if Varech successfully trips his current target, doesn't kill him with the follow-up attack, and the target tries to get up, the AoO will be a straightforward attack for damage with none of this fancy stuff.

...Tripmonkeys are confusing.

TehJhu
2008-04-09, 04:09 PM
(Gah, I go to class and suddenly everyone is posting! Also, I totally missed the part about the extra move action from hustle, kami, like I said, I'm no good with psionics. In that case you would've attacked the hobbo but not gotten through its AC. Sorry about that, will try to pay more attention next time)

Round 1 Summary:(thus far)

Hobgoblin A- fires an arrow at Gelu and misses.

Hobgoblin B- fires an arrow at Varech and hits. Varech takes 5 points of piercing damage.

Hobgoblin C- fires an arrow at Gelu and misses.

Hobgoblin D- fires an arrow at Varech and misses.

Hobgoblin E- fires an arrow at Dalor and misses.

Hobgoblin F- fires an arrow at Laius and misses.

Phalius- casts scorching ray on Hobgoblin C and hits. Hobgoblin C takes 17 points of damage and dies.

Galu- uses multishot on Hobgoblin E and hits with two attacks. Hobgoblin E takes 14 points of damage and dies.

Dalor- charges Hobgoblin D and hits. Hobgoblin D takes 19 points of damage and dies.

Varech- attemps to trip Hobgoblin F and misses.

Laius- charges Hobgoblin A with his lance and hits. Hobgoblin A takes 28 points of damage and dies.

A second rain of arrows flits through the trees. One arrow punches through the armor over Varech's left thigh and lodges painfuly in the muscle.

As the party retaliates, the hobgoblins fall quickly. At the sight of the arcane fire shooting from Phalius' hands, the surviving monsters begin shouting something in Goblin ("Zarr! Uth-Lar! Help!" if you speak Goblin).

From the farmhouse you all passed earlier you hear a loud horn blow three times, followed by a war-cry that surely must come from a hobgoblin throat. It is joined by two much deeper roars from the trees south of the road, but as of now the originators of these noises have no appeared.

Click here (http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/TehJhu/map.jpg) for a rough (very rough) drawing of the battle field as is current. The orange circles are hobbos and the other circles are made as close as your text color as I could get. I haven't put Laius yet b/c he hasn't posted actions yet. Take note that this isn't to be measured like a battlemap or anything, I just thought it might help figure out where everyone is.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-09, 04:12 PM
If one is within cleave reach...

[roll0]
[roll1]

kamikasei
2008-04-09, 04:30 PM
No IC behaviour here, but rolls for IC actions, so thought it best to keep it in this thread.

edit: Correction: IC, Varech is apparently attempting to bamboozle the hobgoblins via some form of interpretive dance.

(Gah, I go to class and suddenly everyone is posting! Also, I totally missed the part about the extra move action from hustle, kami, like I said, I'm no good with psionics. In that case you would've attacked the hobbo but not gotten through its AC. Sorry about that, will try to pay more attention next time)

Ah, no worries. Was assuming it was an issue over actions rather than power descriptions. Cool, hustle maintains its usefulness!

Okay, as Orran pointed out in the OOC thread, I think I got an AoO against Hobgoblin F when he made his ranged attack. If any other hobbos are at 10' from Varech, he'll take up to two other AoOs against them when they make their attacks, too... I guess it's best if the DM rolls those? Flip a coin whether they should be trips or damage, I guess.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Currently on 37/42 hp, no other change in status.

Orran
2008-04-09, 05:40 PM
I'm going to sleep now (it's about midnight in the uk and I have things to do tomorrow). If my turn comes around my action will be to cast fireball so as to catch hobgoblins a + b (assuming they haven't moved, are within 40 ft of each other and I can get both without hitting anyone else)

Reflex DC=17
[roll0]

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-09, 09:49 PM
Mounted charge with lance on Hobgoblin A.
If I am not mistaken, mounted charges with lances deal double damage... and Spirited Charge triples the damage...
...soooo, 69 points of damage? :smallbiggrin:

[roll0] Mounted charge attack roll
[roll1] crit threat
[roll2] mundane damage with lance
[roll3] mystical damage
Keepin' the Smites in reserve, yo!

On second thought... Laius casts about with some Detect Evil on all the hobbos, just to make sure...

The halfling paladin roars down the slopes in a silvered streak of deadly steel, his armour glinting brightly in the noontide heat. Prince Longlance's namesake weapon crackles like lightning in the desert breeze as it parts the air, its winter-keen point screaming with the blast of a blizzard.

His little brown eyes are squinted in focus, scowled in the song of steel, burning with the blaze of battle. Even through all his layers of armour, he still feels the bite of the wind, of the cooling breeze as he and Truefang rush by the wind itself. For the briefest of instants, his mind goes back to jousting in the royal lanes of Greatgreens, his father smiling proudly down upon him from the stands as the Princes' blunted lance yet again unmounts his hapless opponent beneath gaily swaying pennants...

There is no such sport here. This is war. This is dire combat against the forces of darkness. This is a strife of life or death, not just for himself, not just for his comrades but countless innocents who might have been murdered by these foul creatures...

Laius' long lance barely shudders as he passes by one of the hobgoblin ambushers. Stopping fifteen feet after passing his foe, he taps Truefang's flanks with his knees until they have turned around and are ready for another charge.

The wind blows and the golden plume atop Laius' high helm whips in the breeze but neither his gaze nor his weapon arm waver. He couches his lance once more and yells, "For justice!"

TehJhu
2008-04-09, 10:56 PM
Round 1 is over. Feel free to make your round two actions, and be sure to read the post on page 1, as things have changed a bit.

I'm guessing Orran dosn't want to throw a fireball at hobbo A since Nexus is there now, so we'll let him change his actions accordingly.

Enemy actions for round 2:

Hobgoblin B- fires at Phailus and misses.

Hobgoblin F- takes a five-foot step back and fires at Varech, provoking an attack of opportunity. It's attack hits. Varech takes 8 points of damage.

Varech- hits Hobgoblin F for 9 points of damage.

Uth-Lar- double moves out of the farmhouse, shouting orders in hobgoblin to his hellhound companions.

Hellhound A- double moves 10 feet ahead of Uth-Lar and ends 20 feet from Laius.

Hellhound B- double moves up from the south end of the road towards Gelu and Phailus.

A hobgoblin in studded leather armor and wielding two wicked-looking short swords comes charging out of the ruins of the farmhouse. He shouts over his shoulder and from the shadows of the farmhouse looms a dog wreathed in flames. Another hellhound leaps from the foilage farther down the path and starts charging towards the party on the road.

As the hobgoblin known as Uth-Lar advances, he clashes his swords together and then points at Laius, screaming in broken common, "You fight me, little man!?"

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-10, 12:08 AM
"Shaanraalchec, A alaac dec shal'daakaan..." Laius answers Uth-Lar in the marauder's own tongue by a knight-errant's formal wording though he does not lift the visor of his helm.

Laius tucks his head down and roars, "Rhor shach or dec rhuurthec muuc ar o draaregaan a droch or muukuur!" With the battle-cry of "Yondalla's wrath be upon thee!", he charges again, the gore on his lance frozen into jagged crimson icicles that suddenly glow with a light divine.

Dirt and grass are churned in fiery fury as the princely paladin dashes down the dale, aiming the lance's barbed point at the foremost hellhound's throat.

The last son of the royal line of Longlance ends his charge twenty feet after passing the hateful hellhound. There he slowly turns and faces the hobgoblin commander, Uth-Lar. Standing his full height in the saddle, Longlance locks an imperious gaze on the shortsword-wielder's darksome eyes and calls out to him, ""Ruunc duun ar a shagaac alkoraar, Ar-Kar, A, Kan, daan kan or daan Kuukakaan kekaan, tech hac daan daan rhuuc or a droch. Shuulkaan daac, shuulkaan akuun ghaan ac daraan dec druul, ar o rhaan khruun shuulkhar!"

The halfling paladin then lowers his lance once more and readies his shield in preparation for the adversary's counterattack. He calls out again, this time speaking in the tongue Common to all lands of the West... "You and I shall fight alone, Uth-Lar! Withdraw your men and let them live while they may. Repent or perish"

Calling calmly to his comrades, Laius says, "Comrades! This is a duel of honour! Let none interfere!"

Goblin-to-Common translations:
"Verily, I accept thy challenge"

"But call off thy bloody hounds if ye desire a duel of honour!"

"Though thou art a craven ambusher, Uth-Lar, I, Laius, the last of the Longlance line, still grant thee the boon of a duel. Come then, come unto me and taste thy doom, if ye be no coward!"

Charging mounted lance attack plus Smite Evil#1 against Hellhound A[roll0]
Crit threat [roll1]
Mundane damage [roll2]
Mystic damage [roll3]
Total of 57 points of damage on Hellhound A, if it got through.

Attack of Opportunity, just in case:
[roll4] Attack roll
[roll5] Crit threat
[roll6] Mundane damage
[roll7] Mystic damage (frost)
13 damage to any foe that closes the gap...

kamikasei
2008-04-10, 04:21 AM
Varech stops the dance of his weapon with the tip a short distance from his opponent's face. His breathing is hard but controlled, his frustration at his inability to connect clear on his face but not seeming to influence his attacks.

As one deep breath exhales a look of intense concentration passes across his face. The arrow in his leg pops out as though pushed out from within the muscle; the wound, along with that on his arm from the second arrow's graze, stops bleeding.

He speaks in Goblin. "Hold, and perhaps we will both walk away from this."

Manifesting vigor augmented to 2pp to gain 10 temporary hp. They should last for 6 minutes (or until lost). The arrows popping out are just for fun :smallwink:

Will attempt to dispense with the displays - DC 16:
[roll0]

Not sure if HgF moved away from Varech earlier - if so V will take a five-foot step to keep him at 10'. Otherwise no action, just waiting to see the outcome of this duel (and whether the hobbos will honour it!)

So, that leaves Varech on 12/17pp and 29(39)/42hp (that's actual(temporary)/maximum).

Orran
2008-04-10, 04:26 AM
My turn again then, I guess these things are slightly more threatening, so I cast invisibility on myself and move off the road on the side with the fewest hobgoblins.

Phalius begins to sweat even though the cursed hellhounds aren't close enough to make him hot, glancing around quickly, he mutters some words and disappears from view.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-10, 07:04 AM
"What did I tell ya' about these bows!" Dalor squints, breaking into a run towards the nearest hobgoblin archer. Turning his axe slightly before the mighty blow, the axe falls onto the bow the hobgoblin is holding.

Sunder! (Need opposed attack roll!)
+2 for Charge, +4 for Improved Sunder, -2 for Power Attack [roll0]
Erm, add in +1 to that if you count my racial +1 vs goblinoids on sunder attacks.
Damage: [roll1]

Incarnum3
2008-04-10, 02:32 PM
Gelu grimaces in frustration as the fresh foes present themselves. "Perhaps this won't be as easy as I thought it would be," he thinks to himself. As the fiendish hound bounds toward him, jaw agape, Gelu steps back, adjusts his aim toward the hell hound, and lets loose. 3 arrows fly from his bow, each one cutting the air in a direct path towards their fiery target.

5 foot step back, and then rapid shot towards the hellhound heading towards me.

TehJhu
2008-04-10, 04:39 PM
Round 2 Summarized

Phailus- turns invisible.

Galu- uses multishot on Hellhound B and hits. Hellhound B takes 26 points of damage and dies.

Dalor- charges Hobgoblin B and sunders it's longbow.

Varech- manifests vigor without visible effects. Varech gains 10 temporary hitpoints.

Laius- charges Hellhound A and hits. Hellhound A takes 57 points of damage and dies.

End of Round 2

The hellhounds are quickly dispatched. One falls dead in the path, bristling with Galu's arrows. The othe is ridden down by Laius and his lance.

Meanwhile, Dalor crashes through the underbrush as the side of the path. He hobgoblin sees him coming and roars in suprise, bringing his bow up to fire. By the time the weapon reaches the upright position, it is smashed in two.

Varech stares into the red, hateful eyes of his hobgoblin advesary, who laughs at his proposal to hold and drops its bow, reaching for a longsword at it's hip.

Uth-Lar roars in rage as Laius rides down his hellhounds and charges the halfling, frothing with hatred.

Enemy Actions for Round 3:

Hobgoblin B- drops his sundered longbow, draws his longsword, and attacks Doran. He misses.

Hobgoblin F- drops his bow and draws his longsword. He attacks Varech and misses.

Uth-Lar- charges and attacks Laius with his short-sword and hits. Laius takes 9 points of damage.

Zarr- appears 40ft west of Galuand casts a spell at him. Gelu resists the spell.

The two remaining hogoblins draw their swords with Varech and Dalor, heedless of the paladin's ideals of honor. Uth-Lar meets Laius with a loud crash and manages to punch one of his wicked short-swords through the halfling's armor, scoring a deep gash in Laius' side.

Up the train, Gelu sees something shimmer out of the corner of his eye. A hobgoblin wearing banded mail and clutching a mace in one hand and a strange symbol in the other appears. He points at Gelu and shouts words of power in Draconic. Gelu feels a wave of magic wash over him, trying to lock his muscles in place and still his deadly arrows. Grunting, Gelu fights off the spell.

kamikasei
2008-04-10, 05:04 PM
"I don't think they're interested in playing by your rules, Laius!" Varech calls back to the paladin.

His foe's strike is easily dodged and Varech feels a little of his poise returning. Dancing away from the enemy he brings his weapon around to sweep at the hobgoblin's feet.

Five-foot-step away from HgF and a trip attempt with a follow-up attack if it's successful. *tempts fate*

[roll0] (touch attack)
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4] (you never know...)
[roll5]

Incarnum3
2008-04-10, 05:09 PM
Gelu shakes off the strange tingle that had run down his spine, and regains his composure of his brief moment of panic. He turns to face this new enemy, trying to dispatch him as quickly as possible, knowing the potency of spellcasters. He steadies his bow again, firing off 3 more shots in quick succession.

I just realized I haven't been adding the +4 bonus to damage for my favored enemy. Rapid shot again.

Incarnum3
2008-04-10, 05:11 PM
Hah! Critical hit! These rolls must be lulling me into a false sense of security...
Crit damage:[roll0]
[roll1]

SamTheCleric
2008-04-10, 05:16 PM
"You insult my friend's honor, you insult me!!!" Dalor moves in for the kill on the hobgoblin currently engaging him.

(+1 for goblinoid, -2 for power attack) [roll]1d20+10[roll]
Iterative [roll0]
Damage 1 [roll1]
Damage 2 [roll2]

Note: I think one is in melee with me, if not, just count the first roll as I move up and attack.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-10, 05:18 PM
I fail at rolling. let's try that again. [roll0]

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-11, 05:30 AM
Truefang's Attack Sequence
[roll0] Attack roll
[roll1] Crit threat
[roll2] Bite damage
[roll3] Dog/Wolf's Improved Trip check
[roll4] Free attack IF tripped
[roll5] Crit threat
[roll6] Bite damage

Laius' Close Quarters Attack Sequence
[roll7]Ride check for fighting while mounted

[roll8] Smite Evil attack roll
[roll9] Crit threat with scimitar
[roll10] Damage from Scimitar-smite (first strike)

[roll11] Second scimitar attack roll
[roll12] Crit threat
[roll13] Damage

Uth-Lar rushes at Laius in a blur of fur and steel. The halfling paladin strikes out in sheer reflex with his lance but the heat of battle burns so much that he knows not whether the lance struck true or not.

Truefang, the courageous and loyal dog, stands his ground. Growling deep in his throat, the massive mastiff lunges, attempting to bring down the hobgoblin but the foe dodges the dog's snapping jaws with surprising agility.

Two short swords flash out from Uth-Lar's brawny arms, the wickedly-forged goblin steel screaming for Laius' throat. The exiled prince deflects one of the blows with a sweep of his shield then his left torso flares in a flood of pain.

Laius gasps as the hobgoblin leaps back and wrenches the sword free to the sound of gushing blood, tearing flesh and scraping metal. The enchanted speartip of the paladin's lance gleams impotently in the close quarters and he is forced to holster it away in a special harness behind Truefang's saddle.

"Dishonourable devil! I spit upon the ashes of your ancestors!" Laius yells in outrage. Glancing about, he sees the two other hobgoblins move in, swords drawn. With blood pouring down his breastplate and staining his pauldron, Laius realizes the dire straits he is in. Treacherous cowards! I should have known them better to not have let them provoke me into so obvious a trap! May Yondalla's grace deliver me! "To me, my comrades! Let us show these dishonourable pigs the true fury of the Warriors of the West!"

Truefang snarls and spits at the hobgoblins, a beast at bay. Laius rips his scimitar free of its back-slung scabbard as his massive mastiff rears. As the dog comes back down onto the turf, so too does the curved sword, limned in hallowed light. Following up on the downward slash, Laius lunges with a low, curving stab but misses wide.

Orran
2008-04-11, 07:58 AM
Phalius, suspecting the hobgoblins trap moves alongside the road to get behind him, once there he draws upon the power inside him and attempts to end this battle tactically.
"Uth-Lar, can't you see the foolishness of this? Why do you try and hurt me, I am loyal to you, quick you must call off all attacks before any further bloodshed"

Movement: 30ft up roadside
Standard: Phalius casts charm person on Uth-Lar (Will DC 15)

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 10:19 AM
(Sorry about the delay fellas)

Round 3 Summary

Phailus- casts charm person on Zarr, but it is resisted.

Gelu- uses multishot on Zarr and hits twice. Zarr takes 21 points of damage.

Dalor- attacks Hobgoblin B and hits with both attacks. Hobgoblin B takes 19 points of damage and dies.

Varech- trips Hobgoblin F, then attacks it and hits. Hobgoblin F takes 8 points of damage and dies.

Laius- attacks Uth-Lar with his scimatar and hits once. Uth-Lar takes 12 points of damage.

End of Round 3.

Phailus reappears on the road, casting magic at Uth-Lar. The champion is overcome by the sorcer's power and is charmed. Zarr is struck twice in his left shoulder by arrows that bury themselves halfway to the fletchings in his orange flesh. The hobgoblin screams in pain and then presses his strange symbol to his chest, muttering a prayer in Draconic.

Meanwhile, in the underbrush, Dalor and Varech clash weapons with their hobgoblin foes. Varech spots an brief opening in the hogoblin's guard and sweeps the monster's legs out from under it. He buries his guisarm in the hobgoblin's chest before it has a chance to realize what happened to it. Dalor knocks his enemy's weapon away with brute dwarven strength and then fells the hobgoblin like a tree with two solid chops of his axe.

With the charming of Uth-Lar, the hobgoblin breaks off his attack on Laius, wondering why he ever wanted to harm the noble little fellow. (Laius can decide not to attack, if he does, the spell will break)

Enemy Actions for Round 4

Uth-Lar- stands, confused, and shouts at Zarr to come over to him.

Zarr- casts cure moderate wounds on himself. Zarr regains 9 hitpoints.

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 10:41 AM
Map Updated:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/TehJhu/map-1.jpg

(Only Uth-Lar and Zarr are still up. Dalor couldn't reach either of them with a charge in one round, nor could Varech.)

Orran
2008-04-13, 11:00 AM
With that Phalius shouts to Zarr "Stop this as your leader has done, continue and your life will be forfeit" He then stands ready, waiting for the clerics reaction.

Phalius readies an action to cast scorching ray on the cleric if he does anything other than surrender (Is that a legal ready action?) but otherwise does nothing.

Edit: There should be a ranged touch attack for that ready action
Edit 2: Don't think i can edit in a roll I'll do it if it comes up.

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 11:02 AM
Varech removes the weapon's tip from his opponent's chest with an expressionless face. Flicking it around to remove the blood he runs towards the newly-appeared mage.

"Yield, and we can end this!" he shouts, pitching his voice to carry as far as Uth-Lar and his expectant appearance.

I'm hoping Zarr is within 120' of Varech, so a full-round Run action can put him within 10'? Once there, having no other actions available, he'll simply wait and take any AoO the enemy provokes. If casting, he'll go for straight damage to disrupt it (just use the attack/damage rolls). If anything else, he'll trip.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

I'm also assuming that southeast is the direction of the town we were traveling towards?

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 11:05 AM
Varech removes the weapon's tip from his opponent's chest with an expressionless face. Flicking it around to remove the blood he runs towards the newly-appeared mage.

"Yield, or you'll be dead before any help arrives!" he shouts, pitching his voice to carry as far as Uth-Lar and his expectant appearance.

I'm hoping Zarr is within 120' of Varech, so a full-round Run action can put him within 10'? Once there, having no other actions available, he'll simply wait and take any AoO the enemy provokes. If casting, he'll go for straight damage to disrupt it (just use the attack/damage rolls). If anything else, he'll trip.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

I'm also assuming that southeast is the direction of the town we were traveling towards?

(South-east is the direction you came from. Drellin's Ferry is towards the northwest.)

(Hm, adding in Incanum's crit damage, Zarr is dead, so the fight is over for now, unless one of you attacks Uth-Lar. Sorry about that, Incarnum. I blame the hangover)

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 11:06 AM
"Serves you right." Dalor grunts, lifting his axe and resting it on his shoulder, taking a moment to assess the surroundings and make sure no more hobgoblins are coming.

Standard Action: Active spot.

Spot: [roll0]

He then moves onto the road, halfway between the two remaining foes.

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 11:10 AM
(South-east is the direction you came from. Drellin's Ferry is towards the northwest.)

So the good news is that hobgoblins haven't necessarily taken over our destination. The bad news is more enemies may be behind us.

And I guess Varech's actions are obsolete now, so he'll just move towards Uth-Lar and see where we might take it from here. Negotiations will be left to more personable party members.

Orran
2008-04-13, 11:16 AM
Zarr is dead

Making my ready action unnecessary, therefore I shall just 'interrogate Uth-Lar

"Friend," Phalius says jovially, being familiar with the effects of his magic "Thank Boccob you are unharmed, who made you do this? What was the purpose of this assault and why were you here anyway?"

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-13, 11:24 AM
Laius grumbles silently but gives no sign of his discontent as he stares at the suddenly-visible Phallius. The sorcerer's enchanting magicks become easily recognizable to Laius who had long known of his comrade's supernatural tricks and talents. Bah. Nobody's beyond redemption, even goblinkin... at least this way there can be a peaceful resolution... mayhap if Phallius' spell stays, or, fat chance of it--- these two repent of their wicked ways, mayhap we can interrogate them and... HAH! Even send them on a mission of community service and goodwill...

Humh... Yondalla's will be done.

Silvery slaver drips from Truefang's wicked canines as he growls at the bayed hobgoblins but the dog calms down as Laius scratches him behind the ear. The paladin lowers his scimitar and bellows to Uth-Lar and Zarr, "If your hearts are true, lay down your weapons and surrender and we shall have mercy upon you. Repent of your wicked and dishonourable ways... or perish in the cleansing fire and steel of righteous wrath. Turn your backs on the Darkness, walk in the Light, I implore you. No being is truly beyond the reach of redemption and so, great goblinkin, I ask thee to turn to the Light and forsake the paths of Shadow. Repent or perish."

Orran
2008-04-13, 11:33 AM
Phalius turns to look at Laius as he speaks "Right you are brother, but can't you see our friend here understands that, the cleric on the other hand, may not. Maybe you should concentrate your efforts on the building and the bodies, see if you can find the reason for this." Phalius delivers the last bit slightly more sternly and gestures away from Uth-Lar with a slight nod of the head.

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 11:36 AM
Uth-Lar blinks at Phalius' questions. He still seems a bit confused and looks at the corpses of his comrades that litter the road.

He speaks with a throaty growl, "Er, we was sent by Koth to keep an eye on the road but-"

He is inturrupted as six more hobgoblin warriors come running up the path from the southeast. They are holding swords and bows and shout at Uth-Lar in Goblin, "Boss! Whats going on?!"

They seem uncertain as to whether or not they should attack, since Uth-Lar is standing and talking so calmly.

Orran
2008-04-13, 11:46 AM
Phalius gestures towards the building and says "Lets go in here, you look injured, maybe you should rest. I know how much you hate to be disturbed, why not tell you friends to wait out here?" Phalius speaks warmly with a broad smile, and starts to lead Uth-Lar to the building, he says to his friends "Stop them, but don't let this one see, it could end the spell."

Incarnum3
2008-04-13, 11:51 AM
Gelu smiles as his arrows slay his foe, but sighs in exasperation as the new hobgoblins appear. He moves towards them, trying his best to look unthreatening, but making sure to keep a fair distance between himself and the monstrous men.

I gotcha, Phalius. Do you want them dead, captured, or a little of both?, he mutters as he passes his friend. He slowly notches an arrow to his bow, but does not raise the weapon yet, preferring to wait to hear Phalius' advice, which he knows is usually sound.

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 11:57 AM
Uth-Lar blinks at his new soldiers, then looks back at Phalius and his own wounds.

"Yeah, I am hurt..." he says, and allows Phalius to lead him toward the ruined building. As he walks he says to the hobgoblins, "You boys stand down, these pinkskins is alright."

The hobgoblins stay clustered together, shifting uneasily, their eyes darting from their leader to the party.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 12:00 PM
Dalor stands, axe still at the ready, glaring at the new threat menacingly. He refrains from attacking directly, but his stance and demeanor definitely convey that of a caged animal on the hunt.

Ready an action to charge towards the hobgoblins should they take offensive actions against the party

Orran
2008-04-13, 12:01 PM
"We've got a prisoner as it is, so once I'm in that building you're welcome to do whatever you want, but with those orders I think you can get some information out of them. Have fun and make sure to keep it quiet." Phalius says happily as he walks past, pleased that his plan is coming together.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-13, 12:06 PM
Damnit. Phallius may be good with all the cloak and dagger bits but I'm not. Run the worried thoughts through Laius's head. Sure, I'm handy with daggers as daggers... can even do a tad of presitgidation but the best magic I've got is the magic of fire and steel.

Bah! I hate lying... love storytelling, though...

Suddenly, his eyes light up with a cunning... and perhaps desperate plan. Aha! Storytelling... I'll just spin up one of the yarns from the libraries of Sorayta's Rest! I just hope they like listening!

Laius then sheathes his sword and maneuvres Truefang over to the far end of the valley where all about is flat and level ground but to his sides are good high slopes that he reckons can channel sound effectively. The halfling doffs his plumed helm and bellows in the Goblin tongue, ""Tuuncuunraanl dager or daan Rhuun Ar-Kar, A shuulkaac o dhuur or huul taagelaan! Shuulkaan ac ter druul, keraac alkhel'daan duun daan hac dal'daan or Dhaan-Kosh or Kaarthuun, daan haakhaan dager or daan kuuch kekaan or Muur!"

As he beckons to them to harken to the tale, doubt strikes his heart. Fearing that his personal charms may not work or his audience may like the speaking of swords better than the speaking of tongues, Laius' right hand itches to draw the lance from its special harness behind the saddle and brace himself for a charge...

((Honoured warriors of the Boss Uth-Lar, I commend you for your good service! Come and sit down, listen awhile to the grand tale of Fre-Rhuk of Redrock, the greatest warrior of the royal line of Koth!"))

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 12:06 PM
Varech crosses to Laius, rummaging around in his pack for a cloth. "I suggest we help gather up the bodies," he murmurs to the halfling, for his ears only, as he cleans his blade and replaces its cover. "Showing respect to the fallen may help defuse some of the tension with these new arrivals. I expect it would sound better coming from you, though."

This said, he moves off to enlist the others in this task, trusting that Laius can smooth over any offense the hobgoblins may take.

Will move to any fallen hobgoblin and - respectfully - carry the body to lay it out near the house, in a line, arranged at rest. Will also try to get Dalor especially to help, knowing he's the likeliest to anger the goblins inadvertently. Gelu he will be fine with leaving on guard if the ranger doesn't want to help.

Incarnum3
2008-04-13, 12:10 PM
Ay, I'm sure we can come up with a few things to do with our new friends.

Gelu smiles, but it does little to comfort the hobgoblins. He continues to move forward, but just enough to make his shot an easier one. He keeps his eyes on each of the hobgoblins, getting to prepared to fire at the first one that tries to attack his party.

I'll move to within 30 feet of the closest hobgoblin, and then ready an action to shoot the first one that attacks. Should we reroll initiative for this combat or keep our previous rolls?

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 12:11 PM
As Phailus takes Uth-Lar out of sight and the party approaches, the hobgoblins are obviously worried. Laius' mention of the royal line of Koth makes them turn and mutter to each other. They seem to reach a general agreement and then bolt for the woods to the north. Two of them fire arrows half-heartedly at the group, but only to keep you all at bay.

(All but two of the hobgoblins run towards the northern edge of the woods at top speed, the other two fire wildly and then move as far as they can after their companions.)

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 12:22 PM
Varech halts in his movement towards the fallen and watches the hobgoblins run, befuddled.

"That looks more like flight than retreat," he observes. "Are they so intimidated by our defeat of these ambushers? Something strange is afoot here - I suggest we not pursue them until we can question this 'Uth-Lar'. Gelu, Dalor, perhaps you would keep watch out here, and we two who speak their tongue will help Phalius?"

Orran
2008-04-13, 12:23 PM
As Phalius enters the room he looks around for somewhere to seat Uth-Lar and then asks "What were you saying about Koth earlier? tell me about your position here."

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 12:29 PM
"COWARDS!!" Dalor calls out, wiping the gore from his axe on a dead hobgoblin.

"Now let's see if we can find some information on these ones." Dalor kneels down, searching the pockets of the nearest hobgoblin.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-13, 12:30 PM
"Whaddabloodyheck?!" Laius sputters in sheer bewilderment and slight disappointment as the hobgoblins turn away, routed.

"Aye, sure..." he replies to Varech as he rides towards the ruined building.

Passing by Dalor, he leans toward him and says, "It's ShUuLkhAR! in the Goblin tongue..."

Nearing the building, he ducks the lance's long shaft as he passes through the doorframe. Once inside, he says, "They're gone. Left. Ran. Routed. Bloody shuulkhar..."

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 12:35 PM
Inside of the farmhouse, you come across five human corpses piled up against a wall; an older woman in well-made robes, three men with leather armor and the look of mercenaries, and a young man in a tweed shirt and pants, obviously a farmer of some sort.

Past this room, through a crumbled wall, is a crude campsite with a few dirty bedrolls, the remains of two fires, and a few odds and ends strung about. Uth-Lar sits next to one of the banked fires, fingering the bleeding wound Laius' lance gave him.

"Koth, you know Wyrmlord Koth, the mighty sorcerer and lieutenant to the great and powerful High Wyrmlord Azarr Kul, leader of the Kulkor Zul and the right hand of the most holy Tiamat."

As he speaks, Uth-Lar's eyes shine with fevered zealotry, he stands, ignoring the pain from his wounds and holds his fists to the sky, "Yes! He gives us strength and power! Under his command we will crush these weak humans and their allies! We will sow destruction and reap an empire!" His voice is raised in almost religious fevor.

"Will it not be wonderful, friend!? When all these lands bow before the might of the Kulkor Zul!?"

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 12:43 PM
Doran searches the hobgoblins. The first thing he notices is the quality of their gear. Its not the typical scrounged human or dwarven weaponry, rather it looks to be custom made weapons and armor, with a dragon motif on most of it. Their steel shield are painted with an open and grasping red hand against a yellow background, and many of them have this symbol on other items they were wearing as well.

Each of the regulars is carrying a masterwork longswordand shield, and a composite longbow with a quiver of about 18 arrows. Under their chainmail you find a potion in a belt loop. Each one of the regulars has one potion in the same location, and the bottles are all identical, cheap glass. Obviously this was also part of their kit, along with the weapons and armor.

Whoever searches the corpse of Zarr finds, in addition to his banded mail, shield, and masterwork mace, two potions in the same bottles as the ones the regulars carry and two scrolls. He is also carying what is obviously a holy symbol of some sort. (Knowledge: Religion to decide which)

Orran
2008-04-13, 12:50 PM
"I look forward to it" Phalius says with barely contained disgust, "but for now you must tell me how this road and Drellin's Ferry are guarded, I need to help fortify them, It is Koth's orders."

Bluff check if necessary: [roll0]

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-13, 12:53 PM
Laius' spine stiffens and chills as he listens to the hobgoblin's proclamations. His soul's sight goes back to the time that he came back home to the Greatgreens to find his people groaning beneath the whips of hobgoblins, to find a goblin murdering his family and friends in his very home... He recalls the pain and suffering not only of himself but all the more those of his people--- the starving, the dying... all the agonized lamentations of that time came rushing back...

The exiled prince's lip curls back in a snarl as heat rises in his neck. Furiously blinking back his damned tears, the last of the line of Longlance levels the winter-keen point of his weapon at Uth-Lar's heart. Laius' lips are suddenly cracked and dry and they move at first with feverish, silent motion...

Spitting, he swears, "By the Blessed Blade!" and then levels a glare of utter rage at Uth-Lar.

Suddenly, he heaves a huge sigh and fixes a cold, cold gaze dead ahead. He turns, about to leave the building, veritably growling to Varech as he passes, "Varech. I am going to leave before the Devourer tempts me too much and I skewer that bloody fiend through and through. I commend you and Phallius to your business. Sorry I was of no help"

Incarnum3
2008-04-13, 12:55 PM
Gelu helps Dalor with his search. As he comes across the well-made weapons and equipment, he silently wonders to himself if perhaps this hobgoblins were more than mere raiders.

Well, the one thing these cowards had going for them was their weapons. You wouldn't mind if I took these arrows for myself would you? To be perfectly honest, I'd say I have the most use for them wouldn't you?

If Dalor does not object, Gelu bends down and picks up 3 bundles of the arrows, adding them to his own collection. He picks up one of the potions and turns it over in his hand, failing to recognize the contents of the glass vial.

You wouldn't happen to know what this potion is, would you my friend? They all seem to be equipped with them, but I don't fancy being the taste tester.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 12:57 PM
"By all means, take the arrows. You're a far better archer than I. But, this is no small raiding party. These hobgoblins are part of a military. They are wearing uniforms... we best be on guard." Dalor notes, piling all the loot together and dropping the bodies in a heap.

"We best check with Phalius before sniffing around matters of magic. Keep the potions out for his inspection."

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 12:59 PM
Uth-Lar twitches as Laius points his lance at the hobgoblin. For a moment the spell shudders as Uth-Lar's mind tries to break free, but then the halfling backs down and the spell reasserts itself.

Looking back at Phailus, Uth-Lar laughs loudly, "That was a good one, friend, Koth sending humans and halflings to secure a road. Ha! When he has plenty of us hobgoblins in these lands to order as he would. Why are you really here?"

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 01:01 PM
Varech breathes a silent sigh of relief as Laius leaves, the grip of ice around his heart easing slightly. The sight of the bodies had disturbed him, but more alarming was the knowledge of what the sight would do to the halfling. With luck, though, they might yet have a helpful prisoner.

Taking a moment to control his voice, he addresses the warrior in somber tones. "The others of the Kulkor Zul have returned to their posts. We should go to where we are most needed. Where do we move next?"

I'll try to Aid Another on Phalius' bluff.

[roll0]

Incarnum3
2008-04-13, 01:01 PM
Ay, I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled if you want to continue searching the bodies.

Gelu turns and faces the direction that he saw the hobgoblins flee, keeping an arrow in one hand and his bow in another. His eyes search the trees, looking for any sign of movement.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

Orran
2008-04-13, 01:07 PM
"Ah you have seen through my ruse" Phalius says, improvising quickly, "We are in fact servants of Azarr Kul, he sent us here instead of hobgoblins to infiltrate Drellin's ferry. I could not tell you for security reasons, so I needed to find out if we would be challenged on the way to Drellin's Ferry, however I tell you now, as I realize that surely you must be among his most trusted. So tell me how the route is guarded, and why not lie down, you're bleeding, take off your armor and I'll heal you."

That might require 2 bluff checks, one for the 'Servants of' bit, and one for the 'lie down' bit, however i you think the second should be democracy feel free to take 4 off the total.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-13, 01:12 PM
"GRRRRAAAAAAGGGH!" Laius hisses in sheer unbridled wroth as he overhears Uth-Lar's speech. Why are we here, DAMN YOU! Why are we here! We're here to put an end to your tyranny! We're here to end your stealing, raping and murdering--- that's what we're here for, you wicked son of the Devourer!

WHANK!

WHONK!

KLONK!

KRAAASHHKKK!

WHOGG!

BASH!

BIFF!

The halfling's eyes blazing with the pious anger of a son of a murdered father, with the loyal rage of a prodigal prince of an oppressed land, he casts down his lance into the dirt, leaps off his mount and charges the nearest tree, slamming his gauntleted fists against its thick bole again and again.

Blood pours down through the joints in his gauntlets but he punches the tree again and again... until he has bled off all his anger and stress... and getting angry at himself for admitting it so readily despite his Oaths... his hatred...

He punches the old oak tree again but his numbed fists, his now-nerveless arms shudder one last time and lose their grip on the trunk. He slips to one knee, and his head hits the trunk heavily but the pain on his flesh does not ease the pain on his soul...

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 01:15 PM
"Oh, you're some of the High Wyrmlord's spies. I see." Uth-Lar nods, then starts stripping off his armor, wincing now that his fevor has left him.

He sits back down, his bare orange flesh rippling with scars and muscles, and says, "The human town isn't being guarded. Koth wanted us to infiltrate the countryside and sow dissention and fear, to soften the human town for the Day of Ruin. I don't know why the Wyrmlords want it so bad, but we do not question the words of them, as they speak for Tiamat herself."

Orran
2008-04-13, 01:26 PM
Phalius inspects the bleeding (making a heal check to stop it if necessary).
"Good, then we should be able to get in unchallenged, that's all I need to know, unless you have more to ask Varech?"

I don't think we can get much more out of him, I know that we don't understand most of this, but he'll be too suspicious to tell us exactly who these 'wyrmlords' are, but it sounds to me to be something dragon-like, any ideas for questions anyone?

heal [roll0]

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 01:47 PM
I can't think of much more to ask that wouldn't seem suspicious for us not to already know. This is my last question - unless there's an obvious one arising from his answer, of course.

[roll0] - if necessary - he's accepted our false identites, yes? Although I suppose my reason for asking may be its own bluff.

It's unfortunate you don't have a Sleep spell, Orran - rendering him unconscious and bringing him to the village for questioning could be a good idea. Hmm, TehJhu, how close to "helpless" would he be if Varech were to try whacking him for non-lethal damage?

"Are any raids planned in the near future, and when? It may be useful for us to arrange certain people from the town run into your troops and are disposed of."

Varech's mind races to keep up with the chain of deceptions Phalius is forging.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-13, 01:53 PM
Blood drips down his gauntlets, making the armour heavy and cumbersome. Laius hits himself once more against the tree then slides wearily down its bole to rest in the crook of its roots. There he lies, seemingly dead to the world.

And then, after a quarter of an hour of intense meditation, comes forth from his seeming-stupour and begins taking off his pack and armour. From his pockets, he tosses a handful of beef jerky to the grateful Truefang who rushes forward and chews it all up.

Once every piece of armour has been stripped off and neatly piled, Laius stretches and flexes. Wincing, he draws out an ashwood wand and calls out, "Ho, fellows! The battle was too swift for me to tell... who amongst ye were wounded? Come, I shall mend your hurts by Yondalla's grace, if we are to continue through goblin-country..."

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 01:59 PM
"Nary a scratch... though that tree looks as though it took a good solid beating. Maybe we can sell some of this 'ere gear to get more of those fancy little sticks for ya'." Dalor nods, putting his axe back in it's sling and loosening his shield and strapping it to his back. "Nothing like a good lot of hobgoblins to make the blood rush."

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 01:59 PM
Uth-Lar shakes his head, "No, no raids on the human town. Wymlord Kharn wants to crush that place personally."

I think we can go with the old Matlock strategy and say you can just wop him on the head a knock him out if you want.

Orran
2008-04-13, 02:07 PM
"Hmm, I have inspected your wounds and it seems that you may need to sleep for a while, I can't do much more otherwise, better for you to heal naturally no? You look awfully tired anyway."

Well if he doesn't feel inclined to go to sleep Matlock style is cool with me, afterall if he goes to sleep and we get him to town within the next 6 hours they might be able to get more information out of him.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-13, 02:11 PM
Laius' lip curls at the mention of the hobgoblins. "Good fer ye that ye weren't wounded, then..." he says as he thrusts the wand back into its holster and lays a hand on his shoulder wound, healing it with a flaring of diving light.

((Lay on Hands, 9 points... HP 35/35))

As Laius takes a rag and begins to scrub at his suit of armour, both furiously and meticulously battering away with every wipe, he succumbs to the temptation of entertaining temptation and asks Dalor, "Ho, Dalor... not just any "good lot of hobgoblins", my good friend... not just any... I say, do.. you... know what I wanted to do to that fiend earlier? Do you know why I came back out so quickly?"

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 02:17 PM
"You've mentioned your past before, friend. I understand your frustrations... but no reason to take it out on a tree. At least, not with your fist." Dalor lets out a hearty chortle, hoping to lighten the mood.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-13, 02:23 PM
"Oh, right..."

wwwhhhsskk

"...go ahead..."

kssshhkk

"...make some lumber, eh?"

whhhssskkk

"Whaddayawantme ta do..."

kssk. kssk. kssk...

"...kill 'im in cold blood?"

schluckt... ffft...

"Or hack up and..."

whffffkkkkttt...

"...despoil the dead, eh?"

shhhkkk. whhhsshhhkkk.

"Ha-ha-ha! Have I told you the..."

sssskkk. kkksssshhhkkk...

"...tragedy of Neshi the Ignoble?"

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 02:27 PM
Uth-Lar raises one eyebrow, "No time to sleep. I've got to go tell Koth that my warband was wiped out. He'll be very upset. I should also tell him about you all, since we dont want you getting hurt on the Day or Ruin."

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 02:32 PM
"Yes, that would be awful."

That said, Varech promptly brings the butt of his guisarme swinging around to strike Uth-Lar solidly across the temple.

Think we'd taken that as far as it could go... any rolls required here, boss? Not sure how you'd want to handle it so I'll stave off assuming...

Orran
2008-04-13, 02:32 PM
Phalius nods at Varech before replying to Uth-Lar; "Don't worry, I'll pass on the message to him, I doubt you'll see him for a while."

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 02:40 PM
Uth-Lar drops to the ground, unconcious.

Orran
2008-04-13, 02:41 PM
At that point Phalius steps over Uth-Lar and goes to have a look at the potions and any other magical stuff.

Im not sure if I can identify these things without using identify, but if spellcraft will cut it here's the roll [roll0] otherwise ill use an identify on a potion, just let me check if there was anything else magical.
Edit: The spellcraft should be enough for the scrolls, but if it can be used on the potions let me know, otherwise I'll expend 2 uses of read magic on them and identify a potion.

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 02:45 PM
Without using and spells, Phalius is able to determine that the potions are all potions of cure light wounds. Both Zarr's armor and Uth-Lar's weapons seem to me magical as well. Two scrolls on Zarr's corpse prove to be spritual weapon and summon monster III.

Orran
2008-04-13, 02:51 PM
"Right we've got ourselves 8 potions of light healing here, so we take one each and Laius take the rest, he seems to be the base of healing in these operations. Also a couple of scrolls but I can't use them and I'll wait for drellin's ferry to find out how good these weapons and armor are."

I assume these scrolls are divine not arcane?

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 02:52 PM
Varech assists in searching the hobgoblin commander, then binds him as well as he is able.

"Come, Phalius, let's get him outside. We should get him on Truefang and hurry on to warn the town."

He casts an eye around the house.

"What do you think we should do with these slain? We cannot carry them all back for burial, but Laius especially will likely not be happy to leave them. Have they any belongings we might take as tokens of their identity?"

[roll0]

Orran
2008-04-13, 02:55 PM
"Well let's pack up and get out of here then, I'll go check the human bodies" Phalius walks into the building and searches the bodies, leaving the others to pack up the loot.

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 03:03 PM
(The scrolls are divine)

The older woman does have a letter identifying her as a working for the Chercane Spice Guild, a minor trading guild based in Brindol. The men are obviously her bodyguards. The other man has no identification at all, he dosn't even have shoes.

There is a pouch next to the corpses with 355 gold pieces inside.

Orran
2008-04-13, 03:13 PM
Phalius takes the letter and the gold he then goes out and says "Well we know who they are now... kinda and I'm sure the town will know about a missing farmer and we can describe him to them... probably. Also I found this," Phalius holds up the pouch with the gold in.
"Well this has to be hobgoblin gold, I doubt these guys would have this much, more for us I suppose, unless anyone has any objections? and I think you too might be able to use these scrolls," He says to Laius and Varech, "but I'm not expert in divine magic so I don't know."

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 03:18 PM
Varech carries the trussed-up hobgoblin outside. "Hoy!" he calls. "We need to get moving! This is a lot bigger than just some bandits. Our friend here is unconscious, I suggest we get him to Drellin's Ferry as soon as we can and let them question him. If these others have anything of interest, best bring it too. Anything that can provide a clue..."

He turns to Phalius at the offer of the scrolls. "I have no special boons from the gods. Laius is more likely to find them of use."

Okay - time for distasteful matters of logistics...

How much of a burden can Truefang bear? Will Uth-Lar fit on him?

I assume we'll want to take the magical swords and armour. I suggest we also take at least one example of the shields, and perhaps some of the other gear, according to the "provide a clue" criteria - something that might yield useful information when examined by the town defenders.

Lastly, Varech will attempt to memorize a detailed description of the slain humans (DC 15 for a "particularly difficult piece of information", so however you want to extend that to an unambiguous physical description). Taking ten on Autohypnosis yields a 23.

Orran
2008-04-13, 03:29 PM
Ah wait it's Gelu that's the ranger, I forget things sometimes, well either way I can't carry much more, but I'll take being medium-ly encumbered and take the magical stuff, and I'll put the scrolls in my case if nobody wants them.

Phalius takes the armor and swords and puts them in his backpack, staggering slightly under the weight he waits for the others to collect the rest of the items.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 03:42 PM
Dalor unfolds a few empty sacks from his backpack and begins stuffing the goods in them. Hefting them over his shoulders, he begins walking slowly.

"Well, Are ya' comin'?"

Orran
2008-04-13, 03:53 PM
"Ready when everyone else is" Phalius says, glancing around, then lengthens his stride and catches up with Dalor, "Well I was not expecting that!"

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 04:00 PM
(Once you've all sorted out who's carrying what and all that, we can move on)

Incarnum3
2008-04-13, 05:03 PM
Gelu grabs the seemingly magical sword and armor, tucking the sword into his belt and holding the armor under his arm. He slings his bow across his back, and gratefully accepts the potion, placing it in his backpack.

I'm all set to go too. Anything else I need to carry? I'm sure I could handle a few more pounds.

Gelu starts to move out, waiting to see if anyone needs some help with the loot.

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 05:47 PM
(assuming no one has anything else to do)

Dalor shoulders the unconcious Uth-Lar and most of the captured gear. His sturdy dwarven body moving easily under their weight.

After about an hour of walking, Uth-Lar begins muttering and groaning, but remains unconcious. A few minutes after this you all round a corner to see that the road descends to a small town built mostly on the near side of a broad, sluggish river. Six old stone piers jut from the shore, marking where a bridge once stood, but the span itself is long gone. Instead a couple of thick ropes cross the river, each secured to a flat-bottomed ferryboat. Brown fields and green orcards surround the town.

A group of armed townsfolk- three in leather and one in mail- stands guard, watching all of you wearily. They seem particularly distressed by the presence of Uth-Lar.

"What is your business here?" sayd the man in mail, his bushy moustache twitching as he speaks and raises his spear.

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 05:55 PM
Varech makes sure he's plainly visible as he lays down his weapon and lets Phalius or Laius do the talking.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 05:57 PM
"Passing through." Dalor grunts, shifting Uth-Lar on his shoulder.

Orran
2008-04-13, 06:19 PM
"If this is Drellin's ferry we're here to get some supplies and maybe some lodging, we also thought you might be interested in this" Phalius says, gesturing to the unconscious hobgoblin on his companions shoulders, "we were attacked by his warband on the way here."

Incarnum3
2008-04-13, 06:20 PM
Gelu raises his free hand in a unthreatening gesture, making sure he is viewed as friendly to the guards. He smiles and nods, doing his best to send out a peaceful aura.

kamikasei
2008-04-13, 06:23 PM
"There are more of them out there," Varech continues when Phalius concludes. "Other travelers have already been slain. Please, take us to someone in authority. An attack on this town may be imminent."

TehJhu
2008-04-13, 06:33 PM
"More of those bastards out there, eh? They've been on the prowl for nearly a month. I'm suprised you fellas came through it alive. Wait here a moment, if you don't mind." With this, he turns and speaks to one of the other guards, the guard nods and leans his spear against a fence and runs down the road towards the town.

The man in chainmail turns back to you all, "This is Drellin's Ferry. My name is Hersk. Seargent Hursk of the millita 'round these parts. Usually I'd let you al in with a nod an' a smile, but that orange-skinned brute yer lugging around makes things a little delicate. I'd appreciate if yall wait for the Speaker to arrive so we can decide what to do with it."

Orran
2008-04-13, 06:41 PM
"It's not a problem is it? We captured him on the understanding that you would be grateful, we learnt that he has some authority over the hobgolins out there. We did go through rather a bit of difficulty to bring him back alive." Phalius looks around at his companions, looking for their agreement, "so maybe we could have a rest, eh?"

SamTheCleric
2008-04-13, 06:49 PM
"How about I set him down right 'ere and you show me a cold ale, a warm meal and a soft bed?" Dalor grins as only a dwarf can, "If the orange fella' is your problem, then we'll leave it here... as your problem."

Incarnum3
2008-04-13, 07:00 PM
I couldn't have put it any better Dalor. I'm in sore need of a real meal and a real mug of ale. Not to mention sleeping on an actual mattress. Those things don't come often when you live our lifestyle, and that's the truth.

Gelu smiles and rubs the back of his neck, trying to work out a kink that had been developing all day. Just then he begins to realize how sore he really is, and how badly he needed a good night's rest.

kamikasei
2008-04-15, 07:15 AM
Varech nods with no little weariness at Hursk's words. The wait was frustrating, but he couldn't fault the man's caution. Taking out his waterskin again he swallow a mouthful, then offers the vessel to the sergeant, having shown it to be safe. Allowing the guards to share whatever of the water they want, he then passes it to Phalius to distribute among the party.

While the others drink, he moves to the side of the road, folds his legs underneath him, and sits to rest while waiting for the Speaker.

Orran
2008-04-15, 07:27 AM
Phalius takes the offered waterskin gratefully "Thanks, mine is almost empty." He then takes a long drink and offers it around the party. Speaking to Mitten, his weasel familiar, Phalius says;
"I should of named you Scarf, you've kept my neck uncomfortably warm on this journey. Never mind though friend, we'll soon have a nice bath and a room to relax in, I'm sick of writing scrolls, we've been doing it every time we've had the opportunity recently, it's wizards work really, lets just get some extra sleep tonight eh?" Phalius then sits next to Varech, taking mitten in his hands and looking over his coat and stroking him, waiting less and less patiently for the man's return.

TehJhu
2008-04-15, 01:45 PM
It dosn't take long before the guard that Hersk sent off returns with a woman wearing half-plate armor. Her face is angular and feral, but still attractive under its fuzz of curly chestnut hair.

She wipes the sweat off of his brow and looks at all of you, his eyes lingering on the trussed hobgoblin.

"Well met fellows. My name is Soranna. Speaker Winston regrets that at this time he cannot leave the meeting he is in. I am the Captain of the guard of Drellin's Ferry. I'd ask to know your names and why you bring this monster to our home." Seeing you all start to react she holds up one sword-callused hand, "Don't take this the wrong way, I get the feeling you are mercenaries or adventurers of some sort. I'm simply following proceedure."

SamTheCleric
2008-04-15, 01:52 PM
Dalor tosses the hobgoblin at her feet. "That's Uth-Lar. I'm Dalor of Clan Silverbeard, and yer right we are adventurers. That beast and his flunkies decided to turn my companions into pincushions. He also mentioned a much larger force and problem. So if you don't mind, I'm goin' to go get drinkin' before the fightin' starts." He grunts, unceremoniously.

kamikasei
2008-04-15, 02:12 PM
Varech rises and picks up his spear, standing with it at something like attention, and gives the Speaker a respectful bow. "The others who ambushed us were killed in the battle, but this one we were able to subdue and ensorcel. We could not get all the information he might yield without breaking the magics, so brought him here with the hope you might fare better. As Dalor says, he spoke of others, many others, and plans for war. His men were well-armed, and equipped more like a company than a marauding band.

"I am Varech, a student of the Great Art. We all have traveled far and are weary, so if you have questions for us, let us ask and answer them without delay. Soon enough we may all need our strength."

There's a clear urgency in Varech's voice that drives him to speak so much and so forthrightly. These people are in a dark place surrounded by wolves, he thinks. They must make ready for a blow to come unseen.

Incarnum3
2008-04-15, 02:29 PM
"Gelu Ryland," says Gelu in a grunt even Dalor would admire. He nods and mutters his agreement as his more articulate allies speak. Once they have explained there situation he begins to shift from foot to foot, obviously anxious to gain entry to the town.

TehJhu
2008-04-15, 03:11 PM
After hearing your story, Soranna nods and frowns then says, "I see. Winston will want to hear about this. I'm sure he'll seek you out later. As for us, we'll take this beast into custody. You are free to enter Drellin's Ferry, welcome."

With that she nods to the guards and they stand aside. Your way is clear.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-16, 05:17 AM
((Yo guys. Sorry fer the absence. Was... ahem. Rather busy with a certain romance... This is the retcon/explanation for Laius' in-game absence.))

thok-thok-thok

URGH

thok-thok-thok

GRRGH...

A great clamour suddenly shakes up the underbrush behind the group. Laius emerges, clad only in breastplate and tabard. Behind him he drags alone, by his own diminutive body's strength, his namesake weapon, the Longlance. On its winter-keen tip, its barbed blade, its stout staff are skewered the torso of a grand stag.

He comes up to the head of the party, still grunting and dragging the magnificent deer, its majestic rack of antlers snagging on certain bushes as he passes. As he passes by Soranna, he withdraws his lance from the carcass of the deer and salutes her smartly then bows deeply. "Hail, Captain! May your horns be ever full, Yondalla's blessing be upon ye! I am Laius of the Longlance line, knight-errant of that selfsame faith and I travel with these fine fellows. Methought that 'twould be far churlish for us to enter your fairest town with only a hobgoblin as a gift, and so I bring you a feast of venison!"

Winking at his companions, the exiled prince says in a stage whisper, "Sorry I took so long, comrades. That beast was blest indeed with feet so fleet and a horn of fierceness at bay. A good omen from Her Holiness, 'tis, methinks..."

Orran
2008-04-16, 10:44 AM
Phalius thanks the woman and gestures to the others, "Well what are we waiting for? Let's get us a drink and some rest, I think we deserve it. I count seven hobgoblins we killed today, and another captured and four more wise enough to flee!" With that he laughs and strides into the village, looking for somewhere to sleep for he night, and to discern the magic of the weaponry from the hobgoblin leaders.

Phalius will cast identify on the items (1 hour and 1 pearl per casting) once he finds somewhere safe and quiet to do so

Incarnum3
2008-04-16, 02:35 PM
Gelu follows his friends into town, nodding and smiling his thanks to the guards as he passes. His eyes take in Drellin's Ferry as he walks through the center of the town, looking for a potential Inn or Tavern (or anywhere that might serve him a decent drink).

I guess a spot and search check for anything promising.
Spot:[roll0]
Search:[roll1]

TehJhu
2008-04-16, 06:14 PM
The town of Drellin's Ferry is pleasant enough once past it's guards. The path you walk moves slowly down to the shore of the river that runs through the town. The road broadens around a large open area of grass and trees where children play and women and men relax in the afternoon sunshine. At the sight of all of you walking down the path, a few of the townsfolk mutter to one another behind cupped hands. Several of the more daring children rush forward to stare, especially interested in the little knight

To the northeast of the green is a little inn with a sign of a bright green apple infront of it. Its door is propped open and you can hear light conversation and the faint smell of cider and bread from within.

Across the green from this place is another inn, this one much larger. It has an ornately carved sign of a bridge over its wide doors and two extra floors of rooms above the ground. Its doors are closed, but a couple of well-dressed halflings stand around the front, talking to one another animatedly.

There are other buildings, houses, and places of business around here but these two seem to hold the most interest for you at this time.

Orran
2008-04-17, 12:10 PM
"Well I think a rest is in order, so lets go get us some rooms for the night" Phalius says as he strides towards the larger of the inns, "Maybe someone there will know something about this 'Vraath's keep, my pockets could do with lining afterall."

SamTheCleric
2008-04-17, 12:16 PM
Dalor follows along, one step behind Gelu. "It's a nice place. Wouldn't want to live here... well, with the impending hobgoblin invasion and all. I prefer Giant invasions, more direct, get to supper quicker."

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-17, 11:16 PM
His breastplate gleaming in the firelight of the dozen homes that they pass, Laius leans upon his lancehaft as he walks the cobbled paths of Drellin's Ferry. Not minding the gravel that bounces off his leathern trousers as he walks the street, he tugs upon his travel-stained tabard and tries to brush off some of the dirt from the heraldry upon his breast.

Even so, the exiled prince has not lost his manners. Every so often, he smiles at the onlookers and performs blade-tricks for the older ones and tells tales of heroes far away and wonders long gone to the wide-eyed youngsters.

Calling to his comrades over one shoulder, he says, "I agree, my fellows. So, 'tis to the Bridge-and-Board Inn, eh?"

Moving up as quick as his stubby little legs can take him, he strides to the halflings at the doors of the inn and greets them in their own tongue. "Kurra yantra ner dvaira!"

((Yondalla bless you, kinfolk!))

kamikasei
2008-04-18, 04:54 AM
Varech hides a smile at Laius' charge straight for the halfling-run establishment. The smaller, cheaper-looking business is more to his taste, but he can't fault the other's motives.

"Rest and a meal will be very welcome," he agrees with the others. "But I would check in with the authorities and see what they have learned from our prisoner before we depart for the Keep."

Orran
2008-04-18, 05:25 AM
"Yeah that's a good point, he might know where it is, I should of asked him when I had the chance" Phalius punches his palm, annoyed at his oversight, "Oh well, the keep won't be going anywhere. Since they've only just taken him they won't k ow anything yet so let's get some rest."

TehJhu
2008-04-18, 11:16 AM
The halfings around the larger inn turn at Laius' greeting and smile. The most well dressed moved forward, his clothing is made of fine silk and linen and flows around him in obvious testament to its tailoring.

"Hello cousin! My name is Kellin Shadowbanks, of the selfsame clan. These are my relations. I see you have come from far away and are arrayed as a warrior. It does me well to see there are still halflings able to show that what we lack in size me wake up for in heart. Tell me, are these gentlemen your companions? Tell me also, are you looking for a place to stay? My Old Bridge Inn is the finest in Drellin's Ferry, no offense to the old Green Apple, of course!" Kellin laughs at his own jest, "I would be honored to have a cousin as noble in apperance and manner as yourself, and doubly honored to extend the welcome to your companions here. Would you be interested in a few rooms? We had a few reserved, but the guests who claimed them have yet to show up and I'd be glad to offer them to you if they continue their abscence."

Throughout his speech, Kellin waves and gesticulates grandly. The other halflings smile and slip back into the Old Bridge.

Incarnum3
2008-04-18, 08:29 PM
Gelu watches the two Halflings speak animatedly, their arms waving all around during their conversation. He tries to conceal his grin, but he can't help the corners of his mouth turning upward. He leans over to Dalor and says quietly,"Our friend Lauis seems to have finally met his match when it comes to speech-making. By the time they're done introducing themselves, we'll all be too old to care about eating or sleeping." Gelu chuckles heartily and marvels at the unmatched enthusiasm his small friend has in every aspect of his life.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-18, 11:23 PM
"On the plus side, we can probably talk him out of his inn, given that Lauis is so famous. On that note, I need some ale!" Dalor laughs heartedly, pulling off his helmet and gauntlets, laying them on the table before him.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-19, 11:52 AM
"Greetings, Kellin of the Shadowbanks!" Laius says affably, smiling ear to pointed ear as he pumps Kellin's hand in his own weapon-callused fist. "I am Laius of the Longlance line, an exile from the Greatgreens, many summers gone"

Planting his lance's butt on the ground and leaning its haft against his left shoulder, Laius gestures towards his companions, introducing them one by one. "Indeed, they are my companions and comrades-at-arms. The deepdelver here goes by the name of Dalor Silverbeard the Giantsbane. Yond is Gelu, an archer unmatched in all the lands of the North. The serious chaps over by the rearguard are our resident mages. Varech there channels the maelstroms of his mighty mind through his smiting spear while Phallius--- that tall, robed fellow, is a sorcerer whose bloodfire makes daemons cringe in terror"

Still smiling, he continues with the greetings and formalities and finally lets go of Kellin's sure-to-be-sore hand. "'Noble', you say? Why, the Blessed Blade must have personally kissed your mother when she gave birth to you! You have the gift of soothsaying... or at least are a very talented reader of folks' features. Indeed, I once was a prince before the fall of my father's House several years back. An invasion by goblinkin and their ilk. The holy warriors of Sorayta's Rest drove the blighters back but at much loss to out beloved kindred. Ah, but let us speak not overmuch of tragedy..."

Laius bows again to both halfling proprietors and says warmly, "It is most kind of you, so generous an offer. Meals we are fain to have--- the best your magnificent kitchens have to offer, if ye please. Brandobaris' neverending road is seldom paved with banquets and the paths of Yondalla's templars are oft paved with trouble. Battling goblins on the roads and putting down the ravening hordes of the lizardfolk is toil indeed. But then, if your rooms are all reserved, I dare not presume to decide the beds of my comrades--- but as for myself, a haybale in your stables will be good enough for me"

TehJhu
2008-04-19, 02:21 PM
Kellin's smile widens as he hears of Laius' blood, and then contorts into a mockery of dispair at the mention of haybales.

"I'll not hear of it your Highness! I had two distant half-brothers in the militia of the Greatgreens and on my honor as a Shadowbank I cannot allow one of your valor and courage to sleep like a common beast! Come this way, all of you!"

Kellin leads the party into the Old Bridge Inn. The inside is a wide common room with clean tables and sturdy chairs of various sizes set around a bar that is half human sized and half halfing. Light streams in through wide windows set in the west wall, facing the river and the old stone pilings that made up the bridge where the inn no doubt takes it name. In one corner of the room are stairs leading to the upper floors and a door with two knobs on it with the word, "Office" in golden letters affixed to it. Two young human boys clean the tables off and look curiously at the group as you all enter. A halfing woman in a revealing bodice stands behind the smaller bar, her red lips curling in a smile as the new customers come in.

"Izzat some new coostomers then, Kellin?" she asks, her voice thick with an accent.

"Hush Talia!" Kellin says as he walks towards the office, "This is a prince and his comrades we've here! Only the best for him. Be sure the dwarf had our best ale. We just got a shipment in from the Hammerfists, didn't we? And get Cookie to fire up the oven!"

Talia pouts prettily and then nods, hauling out a large keg with suprising strengh and taps it. The heady smell of dwarven ale fills the room.

Kellin leads the party into his spacious office and takes a seat behind a low wooden desk. He pulls open a large book to the end of several meticulously kept rows of names. Humming, he takes a pen and makes several notations.

"Now then, usual price for a room is two gold a night, but seeing as you are a cousin and royalty, I would be happy to knock the price down to seven gold a night for all five of you. What do you say?"

SamTheCleric
2008-04-19, 07:13 PM
"Now that's more like it!" Dalor exclaims, slapping his thigh and letting out a raucous laugh. "A few nights here and we'll forget all about that hobgoblin invasion!"

Nothing like a 6 charisma to get you to say things you proabably shouldnt!

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-19, 09:32 PM
Laius sighs in exasperation at the landlord's deference but hides at as a yawn behind one thick gauntlet. I gave up on the trappings of nobility long ago yet the manners of nobility--- without and within still do stick to me! Gah! He smiles politely and bows again in thanks and respect to the proprietor.

As they enter, Laius pauses a bit upon the threshold of the inn, mutters a swift prayer and his lance dissolves in a flash of golden light. Almost unseen to all but the most wary--- and most knowing of such mysteries, the exiled prince pats the silhoutte of a riding dog that swiftly vanishes into motes of moonmist.

At Talia's words, he takes her hand and kisses it gently, murmuring, "The light of the Blessed Blade shine upon you, m'dear" Rrrhm... my mother'd throw a fit if she saw this... ha-ha-ha! Ah, whaddaheck, a lady's a lady whatever her form or manners be--- such is my Code, such is Yondalla's will. Whore or minstrel, baseborn or blueblooded--- it matters not in the eyes of the Goddess and so it matters not to me as well. Love all in equal measure, aye...

When Kellin mentions their rates, Laius reels in shock and says, "Far be it from me to deprive me of your livelihood! On my honour, make it fourteen for this night, ten for every night hence and one free round for everybody!"

TehJhu
2008-04-19, 10:39 PM
Kellin smiles widely at Laius' offer.

"Very well my lord! If you insist on such generosity, I'll not be the halfling to refuse it!" Kellin makes a few more marks in his ledger and sets it aside to dry. He takes the coins humbly from Laius and leads you all to your rooms.

If there is anything you want to do around town, now would be the best time to do it. Tomorrow I'll move the story along assuming you've all finished you business for today and are back at the Old Bridge, either in the common room or in your private room.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-19, 11:41 PM
Laius keeps up his grand smile and majestically counts out twenty gold coins into the innkeeper's hands and thumps him on the shoulder affably. "Drop the 'Highness', friend. We are all equal in the Goddess' eyes. And bah-hah-ha-ha-ha! You joke indeed---'Highness'---hohoho! I'm just as short as the next halfling in all our grand thronging!"

As the servitors bring forth the trays heavy-laden with piping hot stews, pies, loaves of bread and five tall tankards of dwarven spirits and a halfling-sized pint of rough-brewed barley beer, intercepts one of them with a beaming smile and relieves her of her burden. Used to the weight of arms and armour but not that of vittles, he nevertheless carries the delicious burden with grace and waddles precariously over to his comrades' table. As he hands out the drinks, he hisses to Dalor, "'Hobgoblin invasion', eh? We'll tell them in due time, friend but let them be enjoy their peace while they can! Bloodyhells, I should know!"

Orran
2008-04-20, 06:14 AM
Phalius bows humbly to the proprietor of the inn "Such a feast is much more than I could find the time to eat even if we stayed for weeks" He then takes a mouthful of a meat pie dripping with gravy, "but with food like this maybe I could be convinced to stay that long. The night is still young though and while I have the chance I must find a practitioner of the arcane arts, there are some components that I need to buy."

With that he bows once more and takes his leave, hoping to find a mage somewhere in the village who needs some extra gold.

Phalius plans to buy 3 pearls worth 50gp each, (for identify) and a scroll of fly

kamikasei
2008-04-20, 06:36 AM
Varech has nothing in particular to do - he'll explore the town after the meal, getting a feel for its layout and tactical situation. After that he'll just meditate and sleep.

Incarnum3
2008-04-20, 09:13 AM
Gelu takes a seat next to Varech, rubbing his hands in ill-hidden anticipation. As he is handed a mug of ale, he smiles and murmurs his thanks and drinks deeply. He sputters a bit at the strength of the drink, but enjoys it nonetheless. His eyes widen a little at the sight of the food-laden tray, and he graciously accepts the delicious meal laid before him. As Gelu finishes his dinner, he flips a few gold coins to Lauis.

There's my share, for the meal and stay. Seems only fair, my friend.

TehJhu
2008-04-20, 12:11 PM
The town's mage is named Seriteren the Wise and, while a bit dour, he sells all three pearls and a scroll of fly fo Phailus for the normal price.

As the sun sets and the common room of the Old Bridge fills up, a man wearing red and white robes and walking with a cane catches the five of you together. The guard captain Soranna is with him.

"Pardon me," he says, "My name is Norro Winston. Please forgive my intrusion, but Captain Soranna here told me that you came through one of our guardposts earlier today with tales of a hobgoblin warband? I can tell you are all seasoned adventurers and I must ask for your help. That warband wasn't the first we've heard of on the roads."

Soranna breaks in, "We've had raiders here before. Its a fact of life living this close to the Wyrmsmokes, but not like this. We think some larger tribe has moved down and into the Witchwood. We sent out a team of twelve guardsmen about a week ago to clean them out... none... none of them..." Soranna breaks off, looking down and her ears burning red with shame.

Winston steps in, "None of them returned. We didn't find any traces of them, but we're sure they've been lost." He puts a hand on Soranna's shoulder. She brushes it off and looks back up at you all, her eyes smoldering.

"Please," Winston says, "could you help our town? We cannot spare anymore soldiers to go into the Witchwood, the raids on our outlying farms keep us busy enough. If you could find out where these hobgoblins are based and drive them away, we would be most greatful."

Winston and Soranna wait expectantly.

Orran
2008-04-20, 12:53 PM
"You say a dozen guardsmen didn't return after being sent into this Witchwood, with odds like that I'd like to know what we're up against." Phalius says this politely trying to emphasize that he is not refusing.
"What dangers do the Witchwoods hold? What relevance is there in living close to the Wyrmsmokes?" Phalius listens quietly to the answers of these questions, then goes on to tell Winston and Seranna what they learnt from Uth-Lar.

"The hobgoblin we captured told us of a day of ruin, and a hobgoblin horde, called the Kulkor Zul ready to take over this province, under the command of a 'High Wyrmlord Azarr Kul'. Which Is why your mention of the Wyrmsmokes worries me, perhaps they are in someway related?" It is at this point that Phalius remembers their map showing Vraath keep, and taking it out of his scroll case shows it to Seranna and Winston.

"Our original reason for coming here was to investigate Vraath's Keep in the witchwood, since as adventurers it is in this way that we earn our living." Phalius shuffles uncomfortably while saying this, hoping that these people take no offense at their lifestyle, Boccob knows that some people take offence at plundering ancient castles. "However this information has made me think that in some way we were meant to go to Vraath Keep, what with the combination of an impending hobgoblin invasion, and our convenient arrival. So I say that I would be pleased to help your cause, and I'm sure my companions agree. Perhaps you agree that Vraath's keep would be a good place to start our investigation, and if so could provide us with a guide to get there?"

Incarnum3
2008-04-20, 01:53 PM
Gelu leans in with interest, his ears taking in the information and his brain trying to keep up. As Phalius finishes his speech, Gelu leans back in his chair, his brow furrowed in thought. He finally says,"It seems to me like this might have something to do with dragons. "Wyrmlord" certainly makes me think of the awful beasts, and what exactly are these Wyrmsmokes? I've fought a dragon or two, but nothing ever too big, and I wouldn't fancy facing any more. they're not to be taken lightly, so I think if we knew what we were facing ahead of time, we would have a much better chance of surviving. Other than that, I'm ready to help your cause. You're town has shown us nothing but fine hospitality." Gelu nods and drinks down the remainder of his ale.

kamikasei
2008-04-20, 02:02 PM
"I do not know how likely we are to drive off those hobgoblins still remaining. Your prisoner spoke as though their plans were larger by far than a single warband or camp. He seemed to see this town as just one target of many."

Varech contemplates for a moment. "We certainly might investigate at the least, and see how large is the problem that confronts us. Do you have maps of or information on this Witchwood, to help us learn what we might face?

"Have you learned anything further from Uth-Lar, or might you be able to divine more than we from the spoils and evidence we took from our ambushers?"

TehJhu
2008-04-20, 06:56 PM
Winston seems pleased by the questions, glad to see the party taking an interest.

"Ah, many good questions... let me see. The Witchwood is just north of town, its never a safe place, but its become much more dangerous since the hobgoblins showed up. Vraath Keep is well known in these parts, it would actually be as good a place as any to start your investigation... and I wouldn't be suprised if there was still some of Amery Vraath's riches in there somewhere, although I must warn you its been well picked over the years.

"There is an old ranger in the Witchwood named Jorr, he could tell you more about the woods themselves and Vraath Keep. He's a bit wild, but as long as you don't touch his dogs he probably won't shoot you. You can find his cabin off the Witch Trail. Vraath Keep itself can be seen from the Dawn Way, the major trade route through the Witchwood. People say its haunted so most avoid it.

"The Wyrmsmokes are wild land. They're named because of the soot and fire that sometimes bellows from them. Orcs, hobgoblins, giants and manticores have been reported there as well as some dragons. Although I do not think we've had reports of any dragons for at least five years."

Winston looks to Soranna, who nods. He continues:

"Your captive, Uth-Lar was it, has been silent since he awoke. We've locked him in an old storehouse and stationed several guards. If we cannot gain any information from him by tomorrow, I've decided to have him exectuted for murder. If nothing else it will show the people we're at least trying to stem this flow.

"As for his talk of a "High Wyrmlord", these hobgoblins are forever giving themselves such colorful honorifics. Captain Soranna suspects there are no more than a hundered of the beasts in this warband. Enough to threaten Drellin's Ferry to be sure, but hardly a threat to even a place like Terrelton and certainly not to Hammerfist hold or Brindol. Still, if it is to many for you to manage, we would be most greatful for you to at least assess their numbers so we may prepare for a seige or call for aid."

Orran
2008-04-21, 07:04 AM
"Amery Vraath, was he the ruler or Vraath Keep then? Tell me about him, and this ranger Jorr, he interests me, could he be convinced to help our investigations and how would we find him?" Phalius looks towards Gelu, hoping to guage his interest in another ranger. Hearing a mention of Uth-Lar he turns round to look at Winston

"You plan to kill him? I understand why you might feel that way but might we keep him alive at least for the moment? He may still be useful, perhaps when we have more information about the hobgoblins." Phalius once again looks at his companions for their opininions on this matter, trying not to meet Laius' eyes.

"If there are as few as a hundred then we have nothing to worry about, but I suspect that they will not be the only creatures that will threaten you, I don't think it is wise to dismiss this 'High Wyrmlord' so quickly."

"Finally there is the matter of price, we are well intentioned adventurers, but intentions are not enough to feed us, and if Vraath Keep is as plundered as you suspect than we will need some kind of fee." Phalius once again looks at his companions hoping that they aren't opposed at his request for payment, once again avoiding Laius' eyes.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-21, 07:04 AM
"Just a few Orcs, Goblins, Manticores and Dragons you say? We should get started! That sounds like a battle that would make my ancestors proud. Let's go meet this Jorr fellow and then continue into Vraath Keep." Dalor nods, and then begins strapping his gauntlets on... as if he were to leave at a moment's notice.

kamikasei
2008-04-21, 08:57 AM
Varech lays a calming hand on Dagor's arm. "Peace, sir dwarf. Let us not go in needless haste. We should rest and resupply before we head out - and learn what we might of our goal."

He speaks up to address the Speaker. "I must agree with Phalius that the prisoner can surely be of more use yet if kept alive. It may be that an indirect approach could get more answers out of him - of which we may speak further. But you have suffered at his comrades' hands, and you want the townsfolk to see that justice is done. It may be that this is possible without throwing away the value that Uth-Lar represents."

"We left a number of slain goblinkin behind us at the site of the ambush. It may be that those fallen would serve to show the people that the raiders are reaping their just rewards. Also..." Varech hesitates, a little guilty that he did not bring this up sooner. "We were not the first to come upon their ambush, it seems. We found some others who had been killed: travellers, and one who may have been the farm's owner. We could not bear them back, and were in haste to bring the raiders' leader to you for questioning, but it would be ill to leave their bodies for carrion. If you might venture out to bring them back for burial, it may be you could return with some of their murderers' bodies as well. I can provide descriptions, if it might help you identify them. We have tokens of theirs, too.

"In any case it seems there is little to be done yet this evening... we can be on our way tomorrow with our gear in order and ourselves fighting fit, and perhaps we might consult further with you then. But a thought occurs to me." He turns to Phalius. "Uth-Lar does not answer questions, no doubt, for his pride would rather he die than show weakness. But your magics might still work on him, or could be renewed. It may be that you could continue our earlier deception. If you told Uth-Lar that he was delivered here as part of a greater plan - that we might act as spies, using him to buy trust, and he might mislead the townsfolk, pretending to break but giving them false information - it may be that he would talk, and speak lies, but that we could yet discern the truth among them. If you tell him, 'when they ask our numbers, report half. When they ask if we are north, say south'. -Then we would easily see what their true disposition is, while he merrily reports it, thinking us deceived! What say you, Phalius? Are your spells and silver tongue up to the task?"

Orran
2008-04-21, 10:57 AM
Ugh I already wrote all this and then my session timed out, I don't believe I have to do it again.

"That is an interesting idea, and one that I had not previously considered, I have never attempted to renew a charm on someone once the original has worn off." Phalius thinks for a moment then takes Mitten from around his neck and strokes her, a habit he has when deep in thought.

"I believe it to be possible, but he is much more likely to resist the charm, however I believe with time I could break through his defences. What is more difficult would be to reaffirm our assumed positions, afterall he is undoubtedly suspicious of us now. Your story is good, but his unensorcelled mind would be loathe to accept it, as he would no longer regard me as a trusted friend, this may have implications, especially if he is aware of the casting. Perhaps if I could cast the spell before entering the room..." Phalius once more retreats into deep thought, holding mitten in front of his face, after a slightly longer pause he lowers him and replaces him in his usual place around his neck.

"I cannot think of any obvious way of doing that so we we will have to rely on our wits to convince him, such an act could take any amount of time and we must bear in mind that other tasks await my attention tonight and I will need a full night's sleep to function properly if we are to leave tomorrow. Whether I can convince him will be for the dice to decide, so to speak. If I am to do this then time is of the utmost importance, so if no other matters await our attention I will begin now." With that he stands up, bows and goes to leave unless someone or something said stops him. (Assuming that his questions from the previous post are answered)

TehJhu
2008-04-21, 11:32 AM
The Speaker nods, "Amery Vraath was the Lord of Vraath keep many years ago, but he angered a tribe of forest giants and was destroyed. Jorr knowns more about the story than I. Jorr is a bit mad, people say, so long out in that cabin of his. But he's never harmed an innocent and has saved more than a few children or farmers lost in the Witchwood. You can find him by taking the Witch Trail, north of town. His cabin is along the way to the Dawn Way trade road, in an area called the Blackwater, a swampy sort of place deeper in the Witchwood."

"As for keeping the beast alive... well, I can make no promises. I am only Speaker here, and the majority of the townsfolk will want him killed, especially if what you say of more victims is true. We would appreciate it if you tell Soranna here, Varech, was it? Where they were and what they looked like so she can retrive their bodies, Pelor rest them. Still, I will attempt to keep this Uth-Lar creature around until you satisfy yourselves there is nothing more to be learned of him."

Winston gives a tight smile at the mention of price. He sighs and says, "Very well, I thought money might come up. We're willing to offer you five hundered gold each if you can drive these hobgoblins away somehow."

"If there is nothing else, I will leave you all to be and may Pelor bless you on your journey tomorrow."

Unless anyone stops him, Winston bows and leaves the inn. Soranna stays to hear what Varech says to say, commiting it all to memory with a somber look on her face, then leaves as well, presumably to get the corpses.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-21, 01:19 PM
Dalor lets out a throaty laugh, "Ya' dun need to pay me to defend your lands from goblinoids. You keep that money, but I keep anything I find that isn't nailed down in that warlords encampment. That's how we dwarves do things."

Incarnum3
2008-04-21, 03:07 PM
Gelu takes everything in in silence. He nods at Dalor's sentiment, and adds,"I can't in good conscience take that sort of money for doing something I feel obligated to do anyway. The loot we find there and the fun of killing a few goblins should more than make up for what you offered us. You can keep the gold as far as I'm concerned, but I certainly don't speak for all of us."

Orran
2008-04-22, 03:03 AM
"That's a generous offer, one which I'm sure we'll appreciate more after the job is done, but like my companions said, if the keep can provide our income you can keep it." Phalius then goes to 'interrogate' Uth-Lar and identify the items.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-22, 11:38 AM
((Sorry for the tardiness, yey for the comedy!))

WHOOOOSHHKK!

WHURRRG!

"AAAAAARRRGH!" comes Laius' yell as he plummets from the inn's second floor balcony onto, fortunately, a couch on the common room.

His breath is knocked clean out of his lungs and he lies there, insensate for some moments. When he comes to, he gropes blindly about. Suddenly, he stops and his face flushes deep scarlet and he takes off back up the stairs to his room, trying desperately but in vain to cover his nakedness.

-----------

A half-hour later, he re-enters the common room, astride his loyal steed, Truefang and already fully-armoured and bearing the Longlance. "My apologies, comrades and good lord-Speaker. I was... detained in... communion. What did I miss?"

TehJhu
2008-04-23, 11:13 AM
After the Speaker explains what was missed to Laius (a bit put off by the halfling's sudden apperance) he takes his leave. Soranna listens to Varech's descriptions of the murdered men, her eyes seeming uncomfortably fixed to his.

Phailus does manage to charm Uth-Lar again, but aside from learning that Zarr was the leader of the warband, no new information is gathered. He spends the next hour or so casting his spells of identification over the gathered arms and armor. Once finished with that, he returns to the Old Bridge where Dalor and Gelu have been drinking companionably. Kellin runs a game of Three Dragon Ante for those interested, but the stakes tonight are low enough so no great wealth is gained or lost.

Eventually you all retire to bed and awake early the next morning. Soranna stops by the inn once you are down and eating a hearty breakfast provided by Kellin and the other Shadowbanks. She gives you a detailed map of the Witchwood. It'll take two days comfortable walking to get all the way to Vraath Keep, assuming you go to see Jorr and make camp. With a faster step and minimal breaks, you should be able to get to Vraath Keep before sundown today.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-24, 06:48 AM
"A thousand thanks to thee and thine" Laius says as he pushes off his just-scraped-clean trencher and bows to the proprietors and to the captain of the guard. With that he excuses himself and returns half an hour hence, fully armed.

"May the Blessed Blade ever guard thee and thine
And ever flow the Goddess' Hallowed Horn
For thy hospitality, we shall ever pine
And heroes to thy house be born
Dance light thy feet so free
By Yondalla, so mote it be"

Laius pronounces a blessing upon the inn of the Shadowbanks and on the town of Drellin's Ferry at large. Such is his thanks to all and sundry but all the more his unspoken longing as his right hand brushes by the simple scarlet scarf wrapped around his neck and his eyes lock with those of his beloved looking down upon him from her bower.

The halfling paladin raises his lance in salute to Soranna, to the Shadowbanks-kin and to Talia. There flies a banner from the Longlance's shaft--- bright green weave fringed with gold emblazoned with a lance-and-horn emblem.

His splendid armour scintillating in the early morning sunshine, Truefang gives a heavy bark and Laius calls out, "Hillo-ho-ho! Tally ho, comrades! Shall we be off then?"

SamTheCleric
2008-04-24, 07:13 AM
Dalor chuckles slightly at all the frivolity, testing the weight of his axe and begins walking along behind Laius.

"Good day for a journey."

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-24, 07:28 AM
"Everyday is a good day so long as your heart is true" Laius replies with a sighing smile. "But on the other side of things, I smell evil afoot. I fear we may meet another ambuscade ere we meet with this Jorr fellow"

Orran
2008-04-24, 07:29 AM
Phalius walks along with the rest of the party, hoping today won't be as long as yesterday.

kamikasei
2008-04-24, 08:13 AM
"True enough - there's a good chance those who fled the ambush yesterday may have warned the others in the Witchwood. We should go quietly, and warily."

Incarnum3
2008-04-24, 02:36 PM
Gelu smiles at the never-ending enthusiasm of his halfling friend, but remembers the tragedy that some of the showmanship may be trying to cover up. He walks out along his companions, thanking Sorana and the keepers of the inn as he passes.

Aye, I think we won't be safe until we are out of the Witchwood. We must travel with extreme caution.

TehJhu
2008-04-24, 04:45 PM
The path known as the Witch Trail is hardly a trail at all. Passing through the last of the northern farms aroun Drellin's Ferry, you come to the edge of the Witchwood. Tall, dark trees press in around you. The day is just as hot as the one before, and once you enter the oppresive woods the very air seems to shimmer and sweat in the heat.

The trail narrows once you enter the Wood. You fall ino normal marching order and walk for several hours. The brutal sun climbs higher into the sky and beats down on the earth with heat. Flies buzz around your ears and as the firm ground starts to give way to swampier areas, mosquitos land craw under armor and bite painfully.

Eventually the trail leads past a small, ramshackle cabin in a glade. The porch is littered with fishing tackle and skinning racks. As you approach, three dogs nearly as large as Laius' steed rush out, barking viciously. Spittle flies from their lips and they run back and forth in the yard of cabin, about ten feet from the party.

Orran
2008-04-24, 06:10 PM
"Gelu I believe this is you area of expertise, perhaps these dogs could be calmed, for I don't see this Jarr anywhere."

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-26, 11:54 AM
((Hey guys! No activity in two days?))
Handle Animal check, yo! [roll0]

TehJhu
2008-04-26, 12:18 PM
As Laius tries to calm down the animals, on old man with gray hair and a gizzled beard walks out of the coabin, carrying a bow. He hisses and clicks his tongue against his teeth and the dogs fall silent at once.

His watery green eyes look the grouo over and then he says, in a growling voice, "Well, what are ye lot doin' 'ere upsttin me dogs?"

SamTheCleric
2008-04-26, 01:11 PM
"You Jarr?" Dalor asks simply, eyeing the dogs warily.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-26, 01:40 PM
"My most abject apologies, good sir" Laius answers, lifting his helm's visor and holstering his lance as sign of truce.

"You are the ranger Jorr, I presume? The goodfolk of yonder town of Drellin's Ferry have told us many good things about you--- that you are the one man who keeps the Witchwood safe and that you bring lost children safely back home" he begins.

"I'll be swift, that your valuable time we'll not waste" Laius says. "We know that there is a horde of goblinoids massing in the mountains near Vraath Keep and that there have been raiding bands molesting the townsfolk"

"We---" he says, gesturing towards each of his companions in turn. "---Dalor Giantsbane, Gelu Goodbow, Varech the Valiant and Phalius Dragonsblood..." He then bows respectfully and continues, "And I, Laius Longlance, have come hither to end their threat to the peace and prosperity of this most fair region."

"If indeed you are the fabled Jorr, we hereby request your assistance. We humbly beg your aid against these foul monsters and ask that you lead us on safe passage through your lands" Laius says and finishes with a bow and a smile. "Aye, and if you know aught of the history of Vraath Keep, we would be most appreciative and grateful if ou'd do the kindess of sharing your knowledge"

TehJhu
2008-04-26, 09:30 PM
Jorr's dogs sit by his feet as Laius speaks.His face twisted in a look of bemusement. After the halfing is finished, the old ranger gives him a moment, making sure the little man won't speak anymore, then looks over at Dalor.

"Yeah, I'm Jorr. Do any of you fellers speak common, or is it all just this 'ere windbag?"

SamTheCleric
2008-04-26, 09:37 PM
"Oh, Ya'. Why don't we step inside and you tell us what you know about Vraath. Don't leave nothin' out, cause we think he's stirrin up trouble with some hobgoblins."

TehJhu
2008-04-26, 09:48 PM
Jorr chuckles darkly.

"Vraath's dead. Must've been forty or more year ago, back when I was still green. He went to war with the Twisktusks, thats forest giants 'round these parts, and after he thought he'd wiped 'em out, they came a-callin' for 'im. Kill Vraath and his mercs. Ruined the Keep and then headed off into the Wyrmsmokes for all I know."

Jorr spits something thick and brown on the ground and lowers his bow.

"I'm guessing you fellahs is adventurers 'eh? I hope what the little fellah says is true and you're here about the gobbos. They've been runnin' wild through me woods this last month or so. I'm killin' 'em off bests I can but I'm thinkin' its more than just a warband or rogue tribe. I never thought to check the old Keep, but it'd make sense for 'em to hole up there. If'n yall'r headed that way, I could show ye a shortcut 'r two an' make sure ye's don't get lost."

SamTheCleric
2008-04-26, 09:52 PM
"You're a sly fella. We are adventurers... and we are out to get gobbos. They are becoming organized... we captured a Lieutenant and he spilled tha beans thanks to my magical friend over here..." He motions to Gelu. "Now we're headed up to the Keep. Ya mind showin' us the way? Then, when all this is over, we can get a nice stout together and you can tell me all about tha' good ole days."

Orran
2008-04-27, 08:49 AM
"These forest giants, is there any chance they'd be any danger to us? Or more preferably the hobgoblins. We've already killed some but there's always more to share, once we get to Vraath how would you feel about joining us against them?"

TehJhu
2008-04-27, 12:28 PM
Jorr considers, leaning against his bow, then shrugs and spits out another stream of brown.

"Sure, I'll help you boys out with th' keep. I can't promise I'll be headed out 'o my woods though, but s'long as yall'r within the Witchwood, I'll help ye if'n I can."

He clicks and whispers to his dogs, then stands back up and walks into his cabin. A moment later he comes out with a quiver and sword strapped on.

"Lets head out then, eh fellehs?"

(Assuming, as always, no one hinders him, Jorr leads you all deeper into the Witchwood)

For another two or three hours Jorr leads the party through more narrow paths. The day is now completely still and heat seems to bake off the very leaves of the trees. As you walk to hear a sluggish burbling from the north. Eventually the narrow path opens up onto a much better maintained road.

"This is the Dawn Way," Jorr says, "The trade route from all they way back to Brindol out beyond the Wyrmsmokes to Dwarfroad. We can follow this to th' Keep."

Another few minutes of walking on this more pleasant road lead to a valley in the Wood, a wide expanse of dark water has flooded it. Trees still protrude from the still water and many large patches are choked with algae. The trill of insects and frogs fills the air. The Dawn Way leads down to a wooden causeway a few feet above the water. It runs for several hundered feet across the bog and is made of old wood lashed together with mossy rope. It dosn't look very sturdy.

Up ahead you see the wreckage of a wagon stuck in the muck of the bog about 30 feet to the west of the bridge.

Laius and Gelu:
Both of you make out a large, reptillian head resting against the wood of the wrecked wagon. Its eyes gleam with animal cunning and hunger, following the party.

kamikasei
2008-04-27, 01:03 PM
Varech eyes the wagon. "How could that have ended up so far off the path, I wonder?"

Orran
2008-04-27, 01:28 PM
"Crazed horses probably, not all of us can have loyal paladin mounts." Phalius grins at Laius, "Strange, he seems distracted by something"

For comedy's sake, I suggest right after that whatever is going to happen happens, I'd sure love to have Phalius squeal like a girl.

Incarnum3
2008-04-27, 01:33 PM
Gelu keeps his eyes on the strange head, slowly bring his bow to his hands and notching an arrow. He prepares himself to shoot as soon as the slightest sign of movement is noticed. He whispers back to the party, but his eyes never leave the reptile.

This wreckage may not be as abandoned as it looks. There's some kind of lizard up there, and I don't like the way it's eyeing us.

Readying an action to Rapid Shot the reptile if it moves towards us.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-27, 01:46 PM
"Reptile? Yer jus' seein' things. Too much time in the sun, I think." Dalor says haphazardly, not noticing the giant thing that's going to treat him like a mid afternoon snack.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-27, 02:24 PM
"To arms, comrades!" Laius hisses through his helm as the visor clangs shut with a nod and his lance comes down to a ready position.

"Beware yon serpentkin!" he says, pointing out the beast with his lance's glittering head.

"Blight!" he mutters under his breath as he realizes that a charge across a bog would be tantamount to suicide. His hands work quickly, holstering the lance and readying sling and bullet.

((Detect Evil on the beast... and
[roll0] Int check to identify

Also, ready action to loose a potshot at it with the sling, if it makes any hostile move))

kamikasei
2008-04-27, 02:59 PM
Varech shades his eyes and squints over at the wreckage, looking for the creature the others are debating.

"Come, Dalor," he says as he looks, "if we're not going to listen to our woodcrafty friend on matters like this, why do we put up with him at all?" His tone is entirely deadpan.

[roll0]
If Varech sees it, he'll try to [roll1] it. If by some fluke Knowledge (psionics) is relevant to the attempt, add 11 to the check.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-27, 03:03 PM
"I jus' can't be jumpin' anytime someone says 'boo!' " Dalor says, equiping his axe and shield. "Though, you're probably right... Gelu dun' miss much."

TehJhu
2008-04-27, 03:17 PM
The head pulls up one scaly lip to reveal rows of ivory teeth, then slides back into the water (Gelu and Laius can attack if they want, even if every attack hits the head still slithers under water) with hardly a ripple.

There is a long, quet moment, the insects and frogs going still and silence hangs over the bog...

And then in a fury of water and flying mud, six reptilian heads burst from the water next to the causeway, roars echoing through the quiet Wood. Phailus screams and clutches at himself as the heads whip around, long teeth gnashing hungrily.

Hydra Initiative= 9

SamTheCleric
2008-04-27, 03:24 PM
Dalor is taken aback slightly before squinting at the multi-headed beast... "Well come on then! Yer mother was a cave troll!"

Dalor's Initiative
[roll0]

Orran
2008-04-27, 03:28 PM
Phailus screams and clutches at himself as the heads whip around, long teeth gnashing hungrily.

Appreciated :P
inititaive: [roll0]
ranged touch attack: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]

"My god what a terrible beast" None the less, Phalius invokes the power he knows so well to attack the beast. Having done that he also draws his dagger and moves out of the beast's way, behind Dalor or someone equally tough. "Let's see how it copes with fire and steel though."

TehJhu
2008-04-27, 03:44 PM
(Battle Map)
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/TehJhu/95683.jpg
You're all standing on the causeway at the southernmost side, give me an idea where you want to start and I'll mark it appropriately. The Hydra is on the west side, next to all of you.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-27, 03:47 PM
Dalor'd probably be second in line... since Jarr was leading us... and I'd imagine Laius would be up in front in all his noble glory :smallbiggrin:

Orran
2008-04-27, 04:00 PM
I guess I'll be standing at the far right of the grass one square up. just next to the causeway.

kamikasei
2008-04-27, 04:04 PM
Instinct and training take over and Varech's reaction betrays none of his surprise. He shifts his footing and begins to weave a waiting pattern with the tip of his spear, looking for an opportunity to strike.

Varech, I guess, can have been at the rear of the group, on the west side of the causeway.

[roll0]
Doesn't move, uncovers weapon.
Ready an action to five-foot-step toward the hydra once it's close enough to attack, then strike at the hydra, power attacking for -2/+4.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

On the off chance that the hydra provokes any AoOs, Varech can take up to three of them per round. He won't power attack on any of those, making it 1d20+8 to attack and 2d4+4 to damage.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-28, 06:52 AM
"BURN, FOUL BEAST!" Laius yells as he whirls his trusty sling and looses a shot at the incoming reptile's torso, aiming for its foul heart. The lump of lead bursts into magical flames as it leaves the sling's tongue and shatters into flying shards of jagged metal when it hits the hydra's tough scaled hide.

Though the shot was true, the beast still surges forward, roaring and spitting with all its six befanged maws. The halfling paladin fumbles with the sling's reloading and looses a second shot but it goes wide, splooshing with a puff of steam as it sinks harmlessly into the swamp.

Position: L-4 (right lane of causeway, twenty feet up)

Initiative [roll0]

Full Attack with Flaming Sling
[roll1] first attack roll
[roll2] first crit threat
[roll3] first mundane damage roll
[roll4] first mystical (flame) damage roll

[roll5] second attack roll
[roll6] second crit threat
[roll7] second mundane damage roll
[roll8] second mystical (flame) damage roll

Ride check, if necessary
[roll9]

Dalor'd probably be second in line... since Jarr was leading us... and I'd imagine Laius would be up in front in all his noble glory :smallbiggrin:

You just haaaad to say that, didn't ye? I hope Yondalla pities him for having just 22 AC and 35 HP... :smallsigh::smalltongue:

Incarnum3
2008-04-28, 08:00 PM
Initiative:[roll0]
Gelu will be one square to the right of the causeway, and 4 squares up.

Gelu gasps in shock as what appeared to be a simple beast turned into a horrible monster. He regains his composure quickly, letting loose 3 arrows in quick succession, all aimed for the beast's heart.

Rapid Shot:

SamTheCleric
2008-04-28, 08:07 PM
"Now that's one ugly beastie..." Dalor charges to the nearest open square, soaking up whatever tasty attack of opportunity the hydra decides to take.

+2 for charge, -4 for power attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

Orran
2008-04-28, 08:11 PM
Just realized I never actually said I would cast scorching ray, but I did anyway, hitting an armor class of 24 for 18 damage.

TehJhu
2008-04-28, 10:24 PM
Round 1:

Jorr fires at the hydra and misses.

Gelu fires at the hydra and hits twice, dealing 14 points of damage.

Varech attacks the hydra and hits, dealing 15 points of damage.

Dalor charges the hydra and hits, dealing 19 points of damage.

Laius fires at the hydra and hits once, dealing 9 points of damage.

The hydra attacks: Gelu and misses; Varech and hits, dealing 10 points of damage; Dalor and hits, dealing 10 points of damage; Laius and hits, dealing 12 points of damage; Jorr and hits, dealing 8 points of damage, and Dalor and misses.

The hydra's wounds begin to seal themselves with amazing speed.

Phailus casts scorching ray at the hydra and hits, dealing 18 points of damage.

End of Round 1.

As the hydra bursts from the mud roaring in hunger, the party leaps into action. Gelu, Laius and Jorr loose their projectiles over their allies heads. Jorr's shot goes wide and the old ranger curses the luck as he reloads. Two of Gelu's arrows sink to the fletching in the beasts rubbery hide as Laius' rock explodes with fire against the bulk of the monster.

Varech closes with the hydra and jabs his guisarme out to the fullest extension of his arms, the blade and shaft sink into the flesh between two of the hydra's necks, Varech can feel it scrape painfully against bones and internal organs as he drives it deeper. Dalor's sturdy form appears next to the warrior and his axe cuts a massive gouge into the beast's flesh, black ichor pours out over the causeway and into the water.

The hydra, stunned by the ferocity of the attack, returns in kind. Its snapping heads whip forward in unison. Gelu has time to duck the snapping jaws of one head. Varech, his attention focused on driving his weapon into the monster, does not. Its needle-like teeth sink into Varech's shoulder.

Dalor is also bitten, the head darting in from his right and snapping closed on his armor hard enough to pierce the sturdy metal. As the head pulls back, dwarven blood mixes with the ichor that stains the thirsty wood of the causeway. A second head comes in from the dwarf's left, but he bats it aside with his shield.

Laius looks up from reloading his sling to see the dull bllack eyes of the hydra's fifth head locked with his. Before the halfling can react, the head darts in, quick as lightning and clamps onto his arm, its teeth sinking into his bicep, trying to rip off his arm. Laius grunts in pain and his faithful dog leaps up, scratching at the monster. It does no real damage, but drives the beast off of Laius (missed crit confirm). The final head snaps at Jorr, who's old muscles can't move him out of the way fast enough and his blood joins the other's on the causeway.

As the hydra's heads lash out in attack, the spouting wounds caused by Varech and Dalor staunch themselves and rapidly begin to close up.

Finally, Phailus sees his opening and shoots forth a scorching ray from his palm. The fire sears the monster's skin and boils the water around it as it roars with six enraged voices.

Go for round 2... and damn, yall almost one-rounded my hydra there. :smalleek:

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but to move or charge while fighting on the causeway requires a Balance check against DC 10. I won't bother with it for the 1st round since I forgot, but from now on if you move more than a 5ft adjustment plz make the check...not that I expect the poor bastard to last much longer.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-28, 11:51 PM
"Hrrr-aagh!" Laius hisses against the abominable agony as the beast's rot-blacked needle teeth sink into his arm, penetrating the pauldron's protection and ripping loose a large chunk of flesh. Truefang rears, snaps and swats at the sinuous neck and drives it away from ripping his master's off. He gasps with pain as the beast's head pulls free, ripping his flesh even more. His shield sags and he struggles to bring it back up to guard but fails.

His small chest pounding against the breastplate of his suit of armour, Laius grits his teeth against the pain and drops both sling and shield. Reaching back, he sweeps the Longlance free of its harness and grips the hard haft in both hands.

Laius leans forward in the saddle and stabs twice with the enchanted weapon, aiming for the heart and guts. "May the Blessed Blade harrow you with withering winters, foul vermin scum!"

Position L-4
Actions: Drop shield and sling. Full attack with lance. Use lance's reach.
AC 22
HP 23

[roll0] First attack roll
[roll1] First crit check
[roll2] First mundane damage check (THF)
[roll3] First mystic damage check (1d6 frost and +1 enhancment)

[roll4] Second attack roll
[roll5] Second crit check
[roll6] Second mundane damage check (THF)
[roll7] Second mystic damage check (1d6 frost, +1 enhancment)

Puny! Well, at least no critical fumble this time. So... that's 8 points of nearly-sure damage, right?

Orran
2008-04-29, 01:56 AM
Seeing the beast lash out at his comrades Phalius looks over his comrades to see if he can help them, the beast already being quelled by their onslaught. "Nothing for me to do, I couldn't even heal a papercut, and that creature's as good as dead, who knows though, there could be more." Phalius looks around the marsh attempting to find any other creatures like it.
"Watch out, that might not be the last of it." he says to his comrades.

If for some reason the hydra is still alive ignore all that and I'll shoot a magic missile at him.[roll0]
Otherwise active listen and spot. [roll1][roll2]

SamTheCleric
2008-04-29, 07:12 AM
"Its wounds are closin' up faster than a troll in heat... what manner of beast is this? How do we kill it?" Dalor exclaims before swinging at the Hydra twice more.

-2 for Power Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

kamikasei
2008-04-29, 12:46 PM
Varech grunts as one of the darting heads snaps at him and finds its mark. He has learned to defend against many enemies at once, but to face one mind controlling so many weapons is outside his experience. Bringing his spear around he butts away the head with the haft before swinging again at the still-wounded body.

"It still shows its hurts. We may hope to overwhelm its healing!" he calls to Dalor.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Incarnum3
2008-04-29, 02:39 PM
Gelu gracefully dodges the gnashing teeth of the hydra, ducking the sweeping head with a smile. He comes back up, but the smile vanishes as he sees the injuries inflicted upon his allies. His bow snaps back into his hands, 3 more arrows flying towards the beast.

Rapid Shot. Am I within 30 feet or not? If so, add +1 to each attack roll.

TehJhu
2008-04-29, 04:57 PM
The first two of Gelu's arrows strike deep in the hydra's body. Its heads jerk wildly as vital organs are punctured. The deluge of strikes from Dalor, Varech, and Laius all impact solidly, hammering the monster so that not even its amazingly fast healing can keep up with them. It gives on final roar, and then collapses, its body splayed out across the shallow mud of the bog and its heads lying across the walkway, thick black blood oozes from the corpse.

Phailus looks out across the suddenly quiet swamp but sees no further threat.

Orran
2008-04-30, 07:36 AM
"Well that went as well as any of us could of hoped, I'm glad we managed to overwhelm it before it had another chance to attack." Phalius looks around at the injuries of his companions, seeing most of them severely hurt. He takes out a wand and hands it to Gelu, knowing that Laius has his own.
"Perhaps you could put this to use? Since I am uninjured I will check out that wagon." Phalius then crosses to the patch of grass to the west and heads towards the wagon, attempting to stay on solid ground and keep his robes clean. however he is unable to keep his robes from skimming over molehills of mud, raised slightly from the ground. Climbing onto the wagon Phalius searches it for signs of life, and failing that signs of ownership.

Search [roll0]

SamTheCleric
2008-04-30, 07:39 AM
"Just a lil bite, 'ere." Dalor continues to watch the Hydra, ensuring that it is dead and that there arent any more in the water.

Spot [roll0]

kamikasei
2008-04-30, 07:47 AM
Varech lets out a long breath as he comes down from the tension of battle.

"I am hurt, but not badly. Indeed, we were fortunate to have seen the beast before it could surprise us utterly."

He keeps an eye on Phalius as the mage ventures out into the bog. Once either of the healers has tended to him, he will join him at the cart.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Forgot to put status into the combat posts - currently Varech is on 32 hp.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-30, 08:04 AM
"Yondalla be praised for this victory..." mutters the exiled prince.

Stowing his lance away and retrieving his fallen shield and sling, Laius heaves a heavy sigh and rides over to Dalor, Varech and Jorr. He draws his wand of healing and strokes it gently across their wounds. The tip of the wand flares with white flame as the flesh beneath seals together as Yondalla's granted power slowly yet surely flows into them.

"May the Hallowed Horn so heal thy harrowed hurts. Amen." he chants over everybody he helps. After he ministers to his injured comrades, he placesa hand on his own torn upper arm, gasping as the sinews and skin supernaturally come together once more.

Healing:
CMW on Dalor [roll0]
CMW on Varech [roll1]
CMW on Jorr [roll2]
Lay on Hands, 12 points on Laius

Listen [roll3]
Spot [roll4]

kamikasei
2008-04-30, 09:46 AM
"My thanks," Varech tells Laius, testing his healed shoulder. The bite-marks and torn flesh have given way to mild bruises. The warrior takes up his weapon and moves to step off the causeway, but then pauses and turns to Jorr.

"Do you know anything of this wreck?" he asks. "It seems likely any on it were killed - we seem well on our way to becoming the death's heralds for Drellin's Ferry. Have you met or seen sign of survivors, before we go seeking for the fallen?"

41/42hp, thanks Laius!

TehJhu
2008-04-30, 01:56 PM
Jorr nods his thanks to Laius for the healing and knocks another arrow, watching the corpse warily. When asked about the carriage he glances at it and shrugs, "Never seen it 'afrore."

The wagon dosn't seem to be human made, pushing around in it you find several partially rotted hobgoblin skeletons in rusting armor. One catches you eye, though, and you manage to yank and breastplate out of the muck, wiping it off, Dalor recognizes the metal as mithril.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-30, 01:59 PM
Dalor whistles low, "Who gave these hobgoblins Mithral? That's a nice piece you have there."

kamikasei
2008-04-30, 02:17 PM
"Who gave them, or who did they take it from? The bodies look too far gone to tell if it was custom fitted. Still, a force of hobgoblins well-organized enough that they can run wagons up the main trade route of the area, hauling mithral or wearing it - that is ominous indeed."

Orran
2008-04-30, 02:27 PM
"Well either way it didn't do them any good, perhaps it will do better for us. Let's take it with us, give it a once over and pass it on." Phalius steps down from the wagon and walks over to the dead hydra.
"I guess this guy's been preying on our hobgoblin friends as well, maybe killing him will help them more than us? No matter though, let's get on with it, I hope to be there before nightfall."

Incarnum3
2008-04-30, 03:14 PM
Gelu takes the wand with a smile, but notices upon further inspection that he is free of wounds. "If anyone needs a quick heal, I'll be happy to oblige." He follows the others to the wagon, and gasps as he sees the well armored Hobgoblins. "Strange indeed..." he thinks to himself. He searches the rest of the area, looking for more signs of possibly useful items.

More well equipped hobgoblins. This doesn't sit well with me.

Search:[roll0]

kamikasei
2008-05-01, 06:39 AM
(( Unless Gelu turns up something interesting with that Spot check... ))

Varech shifts the weight of his weapon back over his shoulder. "Well, for any quesitons this raises, I suspect the answers are best sought further on. Let's continue as Phalius says. It would not be good to be caught out on this exposed land when we look to rest, nor to scout in darkness."

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-01, 07:30 AM
Laius whispers another swift prayer of thanksgiving then tucks the wand of healing away. He rides Truefang over to the waggon's wreck then bids him search for the traces of anything else of value.

The halfling then dismounts and pokes about with his lance. Snagging bits of the mithral armour, he drags them to the surface then hands them to his comrades. Huffing with the exertion, he mounts up again and says to them, "What? Why're ye lookin' at me like that? To spurn a gift of the gods is to accept a curse of the daemons. And that mithral there is definitely a gift of the gods"

Riding back to the mouth of the causeway, Laius answers Varech's call. "Indeed, comrade. I agree that we should move on and make camp on dry, defensible ground"

[roll0] Laius' Spot
[roll1] Search

[roll2] Truefang's tracking check

TehJhu
2008-05-01, 10:17 AM
One the party begins to move on again, Jorr takes point, leading you all down the much more pleasant road.

A few more hours go by and the sun slips from the roof of the sky and begins its slow crawl back to earth. The day wears on and the bruises from the hydra ache in a distant, annoying way. Coupled with the still-blistering heat, the roads earlier pleasantness quickly fades.

As all come up on a bend in the road, Jorr turns and walks backwards. He opens his mouth to speak as you come around the bend but is interrupted by a low, gargling roar. From the treeline near the road a tree explodes out across the road, followed by a hulking beast with mottled gray skin shambles out onto the road on stubby legs. It's arms are corded with muscle and drag the ground, its hunched head looms over the road at least nine feet up.

Six yellowish eyes peer across the road at the party. The monster roars a challange and begins to move forward.

Monster Initiative - 20
Jorr Initative - 9

Its a 40 foot wide road with the monster starting 30 feet back.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-01, 10:30 AM
"Jorr, what kind o' monster perfume are ya' wearin'?!"

Dalor tightens his grip on his waraxe, sputtering curses in dwarven and giant at the thing.

Initiative: 1d20+5

SamTheCleric
2008-05-01, 10:31 AM
I'm tired. I forgot to put my roll tags on that.

[roll0]

TehJhu
2008-05-01, 10:44 AM
"T'ain't me." Jorr says, knocking an arrow, "its that prettyboy in the robes they be wantin'"

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-01, 11:10 AM
[roll0] Initiative
[roll1] Int check to tell whaddaheck it is
One order of DETECT EVIL, please...

Laius gasps in shock at the approach of the blasted abomination. "Whaddaheck?!", he sputters.

His lance comes down into a ready position and his visor clangs shut to protect his face. His eyes flash with an inner flame as he tries to see beyond the mortal flesh and into the monster's soul, seeking whether it deserves Purification...

Orran
2008-05-01, 11:13 AM
"I cannot be blamed for this, I am not the one with hobgoblin and hydra blood staining me." Phalius prepares to engage arcanic power again, sighing.

Initiative - [roll0]

kamikasei
2008-05-01, 11:37 AM
"Jorr, what manner of creature is that?"

[roll0]
[roll1]

TehJhu
2008-05-01, 11:40 AM
(( It is not evil ))

SamTheCleric
2008-05-01, 12:04 PM
Iniative as it stands:

Dalor - 21
Monster - 20
Gelu - 19
Phalius - 17
Varech - 15
Jarr - 9
Laius 7

Ok, this is gonna suck... because I know what it is... but Dalor doesn't...

"Whatever it is, its comin' right fer us!" Dalor charges forward, the momentum built up allowing for a much mightier blow.

+2 for charge, -5 for Power Attack
[roll0] - vs Flat Footed AC
[roll1]

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-01, 12:07 PM
Laius' spiritual sight shows him that the monster bears not the taint of darkness yet his mundane eyes tell him clearly that its intentions are ill. Though still reeling from the shock, Laius maneuvres to the left of the road, couching his lance, preparing for to either give a charge or receive a charge. He then belts out, "Varech! Right flank, help me hold the line and keep it at a distance! Dalor! Take the centre, engage at will! Gelu, Phallius, Jorr, fire support!"

kamikasei
2008-05-01, 12:22 PM
Varech moves to the right of the road at Laius's command. "You three, keep back!" he calls to the mage and archers. "Force it to pass us to reach you!"

Okay... initiative may mess with this but the aim will be to get the monster at 10' and straight up attack, then take any AoOs on it if it tries to move past. The AoOs will be used for Stand Still attempts; the monster will have to roll Reflex vs. 10+dmg or stay where it is. They won't deal any actual damage.

[roll0] taking -2/+4 power attack
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

...seriously, battlefield controllers require too many rolls.

Incarnum3
2008-05-01, 02:37 PM
"Does it ever end?"

Gelu sighs in resignation, nocking another to his bow and taking careful aim. He soreness and bruises are instantly forgotten as the adrenaline of combat flows through him.

Initiative:[roll0]
Rapid Shot.

TehJhu
2008-05-01, 03:12 PM
Dalor's axe bounces off of the monsters springy hide.

The monster full attacks Dalor and hits with both claws but misses with its bite. Dalor takes 13 points of damage.

The beast shrugs off Dalor's blow and then lashes out with its wicked claws, knocking the sturdy dwarf around like a toy. As Dalor reels from the blows, the creature lunges forward, opening its maw to reveal jagged black fangs. Dalor smashes his shield into the thing's face, driving it back.

When it comes to Jorr's turn he'll fire an arrow at it-

[roll0]
[roll1]

After all the other actions for the round are posted I'll summarize ect ect...

Orran
2008-05-01, 06:07 PM
Seeing the chance to protect himself from the creature, Phalius wraps the force of abjuration around him, defending himself from attacks. He then moves to were Laius suggested, drawing his crossbow as he goes.

Actions: Standard - cast shield - new AC 15
Movement - to behind Laius and the others
Free - Draw crossbow

SamTheCleric
2008-05-01, 09:35 PM
"Oof, you hit like an angry stone giant, lad! Luckily, so do I!"

-2 for Power attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

Iterative
[roll2]
[roll3]

Stats:

HP: 36/59
AC: 24

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-01, 11:12 PM
Laius ducks his head low and digs his heels into Truefang's tough flanks. The two roar down the road, a streak of silversteel.

He feels the lance's barbed tip hit something hard yet soft, his arm jarred violently from the impact. And then the sensation passes and he halts the charge forty feet past the beast.

There he turns and levels the lance's winter-keen tip at the massive monster. There he says a swift prayer and prepares for another charge.

[roll0] Charging attack roll
[roll1] crit threat
[roll2] mundane damage
[roll3] mystic damage

Finally, a good set of rolls... too bad it was two points away from a x3 crit!

Anyhow:

Flat damage: 15
Total mounted lancing charging damage: 27

I've got a feeling that thing's got some mad damage reduction, but 45's still a high number, right?

Stats: HP 35/35 AC 20

Orran
2008-05-04, 10:05 AM
I'm not really sure about where we are in the round, but I may as well post my next actions, (with rp afterwards as always)

Standard: Cast scorching ray
Ranged touch attack: [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Movement: Move backwards away from the creature as well as into LOS if I didn't have it, and if I did have it I'll move behind someone else after shooting it.

Seeing his spear wielding companion guarding him as always, Phalius takes to the offence. He takes aim and throws a fiery ray at the monster's hide, knowing that the tough hide won't protect from the magical heat. Seeing his ray strike the monster solidly Phalius ducks backwards to the extent of his range.
"Don't worry about me Varech, I've solidified my defenses. Get on with destroying the beast."

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-04, 10:20 AM
Through the slits of his visor, Laius smells the distinct tang of brimstone and of burning. His hidden lips twitch upward in a grim smile as he recognizes Phallius' searing spell slashing towards the foe in a mystic line like a scorching spear.

Though he faces an aberration most strange, his chivalry still stays his hand from stabbing even so foul a foe in the back. Truefang half-crouches, hackles raised, teeth bared in a savage snarl, the dog's corded muscles bunched, ready to spring. Laius yells, "Face me, if any honour you have, foul abomination! But if these words you ken, flee while you still can!"

TehJhu
2008-05-07, 10:47 AM
Round 1:

Gelu fires three arrows at the monster, two hit and the monster takes 12 points of damage.

Phailus casts shield, draws his crossbow, and moves towards the battle.

Varech attacks but misses.

Jorr fires and misses.

Laius charges the monster and hits, the monster takes 27 points of damage.

After the beast smashes Dalor around, three arrows whistle over the dwarf's head. Two thud solidly into the muscles bunching at the beast's chest, the third hits it between the eyes but bounces off ineffectively.

Phailus casts his defensive magics and moves into position while Varech charges in, jabbing his guisarme into the monster, but the weapon bounces off of the creature's tough hide without a scratch. The psychic readies himself to keep the monster from Phailus or the rangers.

Jorr's arrow flies ahead of Laius as he charges, but bounces off of the monster. Laius' lance, however, tears into the thing's dull gray hide as he races past. The monster roars in pain as blood quickly soaks the dirt of the road.

Round 2:

Dalor attacks the monster twice, hitting once and dealing 11 points of damage.

The monster atacks Dalor and hits with one claw. Dalor rakes 5 points of damage.

Phailus casts scorching ray on the monster and hits, dealing 16 points of damage.

More actions and the RP once they are taken. And sorry again about the delay.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 12:10 PM
"Oof... That hurt!"

HP: 28/49
AC: 24, Touch: 12, Flat-Footed: 23

Full Attack
-2 for Power Attack
Attack 1 [roll0]
Damage 1 [roll1]
Attack 2 [roll2]
Damage 2 [roll3]

kamikasei
2008-05-07, 01:45 PM
Seemingly unheeded by the monster, Varech studies its response to his allies' attacks as he looks for an opening.

"Well struck, Laius!" he calls out. "It's got hide as thick as armor! Hit hard or hit well! What should be mortal wounds are just bouncing off, but it can be hurt..."

Seeing his opening, he whips up his guisarme in a more precise arc than before, trading some of the strength behind his blow for a surer chance at striking true.

[roll0] (no Power Attack this time...)
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

AoOs: again, these will be used for Stand Still if the monster moves towards the squishies. If it attempts to retreat, take them for regular damage.
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

Nice rolls, Sam!

TehJhu
2008-05-07, 06:48 PM
Dalor's second attack should've hit as well, so it took 28, not 11 damage.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 07:08 PM
Weird, I rolled the same damage this time... 28 more :smallbiggrin:

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-07, 10:54 PM
As the monster turns to face the puny paladin's challenges, Laius charges forward, scoring yet another rime-rimmed gash in the beast's tough hide. He and Truefang skid to a halt and come level with Varech's former position in front of the mage and the archers. The winter-keen lance's barbed point comes down again as he prepares for another assault...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Total: 17
Oh well...

Incarnum3
2008-05-10, 10:46 AM
Gelu continues his ranged assault on the beast, firing another 3 arrows in quick succession, hoping to pierce the beast's thick hide and help bring it down.

Rapid Shot.

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-15, 10:02 AM
"Doom take thee, foul beast!" Laius yells at the abominable monstrosity in their path. As Dalor's axe slashes into its flesh and two of Gelu's arrows sink to the fletchings, Laius utters a swift prayer with words of the heart...

O Blessed Blade, desert us not
Preserve us in time of trouble...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-07-07, 10:43 PM
The great beast screams in pain as Laius' sharp lance pierces the great hide, and black blood pours out in torrents. The creature staggers back...but only to find a firmer foothold, for it suddenly surges forward, striking the halfling a tremendous blow that flings him from his mount and sends him tumbling back with incredible force.

A wild roar of triumph rips through the monster's throat, only to become a shrill shriek of agony as Gelu's barbed shaft embeds itself in one of the creature's many eyes. It paws at its injured face frantically, trying to dislodge the lethal point, but to no avail.

Laius, you take 8 damage and are dismounted. Sorry, mate, but that's one angry render, and you ran closest.

On a more positive note, the thing is obviously not paying any of you any attention at the moment...it's more concerned with the intense pain.

Orran
2008-07-08, 04:22 AM
Phalius sees the beast roar in pain and decides to conserve his magical energy, willing only to waste a weaker spell on it. He gestures forward with his hand and 3 bolts of magical energy fly forward and hit the beast in the side.

magic missile for [roll0] damage

kamikasei
2008-07-08, 05:42 AM
Varech is in a state of combat focus now, and Laius' unseating elicits no reaction from him but to run forward to cover the paladin as he recovers. He steadies his stance and shifts forward to drive the point of his guisarme into the beast.

A little unsure of the positioning now, but Varech will either move between the monster and Laius or, if that doesn't make sense (if they're right beside one another) attack from the side to keep its attention away from the halfling.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Not bothing with AoOs this time, will roll if any come up.

SamTheCleric
2008-07-08, 06:24 AM
"You aren't tha only beastie that can charge!" Dalor shouts before moving up to the Render and slashing with his axe.

HP: 28/49
AC: 24, Touch: 12, Flat-Footed: 23

-3 for Power attack.

[roll]1d10+10

Add +2 to attack and -2 from AC if I was able to get a clear charge to it... otherwise just move and attack.

Miraqariftsky
2008-07-09, 11:59 AM
For the briefest of moments, Laius blacks out as the beast's gnarled knuckles bash him in the centre of the breastplate and send him flying. His eyes fly open just as he hits the dust a few metres back and skids across the turf.

His breath is knocked out of him and he feels certain that some of his ribs have broken and a concussion seems almost certain. His kidneys hurt like the bloody hells and the heat inside his suit of armour is intense.

Groaning, he struggles to stand and spits some blood as he finds his wobbly balance. Laius then whistles to Truefang and the mastiff bounds around to the other side of the beast and lunges in, taking a bite of its foul flesh.

"You may not be tainted by Evil, wretch, but I shall have my revenge!" yells the enraged halfling as he drops his shield, grips the Longlance with both hands and charges, aiming for the beast's abominable heart.

Laius'
[roll0] (charging and flanking)
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Truefang's
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-07-09, 04:11 PM
The monster cringes at the burst of arcane light that accompanies the spell, but to no avail, for the missiles strike true, leaving great patches of scorched flesh on the thick gray hide.

Varech moves into position, the tip of his guisarme darting in with lightning speed, only to be thrown aside as the beast, now cowering in fear and pain, swats aside the deadly point. The mighty blow whips around to catch Dalor in the chest, stopping him short and knocking the breath from him. Taking advantage of the momentary reprise, the creature shuffles rapidly backwards, painful whimpering accompanying every motion.

And then Truefang arrives. The great mastiff harries the creature, snapping at its legs and blocking off its retreat. The monster pauses, uncertain of what to do...

Dark blood fountains across the battered armor of Laius Longlance as he plunges his weapon into the beast for the second time in as many seconds. The halfling twists the weapon deep in the wound, and the bloody edges turn white from the biting cold. Wounded, battered, and beaten, the monster releases one last, agony-filled scream, and, with a quiet moan, falls to the ground. A soft coughing carries on the breeze, and the beast's mouth is specked with blood; its fury has been abated, and it is dying.

Orran
2008-07-09, 05:56 PM
Is it really necessary to kill it? It was obviously scared at the end, can't we at least let it live? Phalius says while kneeling down next to the beast attempting to stem the blood loss. It seems to work as the creature's breathing returns to normal. "What should we do with it now though, if we leave it here it will surely become mere carrion for other creatures."

Heal check to stabilize, DC 15[roll0]

kamikasei
2008-07-10, 05:38 AM
"Can it live? If we heal it enough that it can fend for itself, will it simply attack us again on our journey back?"

Varech is cleaning and sheathing his weapon as he speaks. "It seems needless to finish it, but half-hearted compassion is often little different from cruelty. Surely, we must either help it heal, or kill it cleanly.

"Gelu, Jorr, do you know anything of these beasts? Will it let us help it, or lash out again? I confess I do like the thought of leaving such a creature here, friendly to us, as an obstacle to the hobgoblins..."