PDA

View Full Version : An april fool's day post (a little late)

longtooth878
2008-04-07, 11:30 PM
I was reading another website that used to be good for D&D news now it is a propaganda machine for fourth edition. They had posted this as a joke(I guess). They made a list of why original D&D is the best.

Here are the top ten reasons why OD&D is the one true game, whilst all others are but pale imitations.

10. It smells better.
9. 3 paperback books are a lot easier to carry around than 15 hardback tomes.
8. No krazeee flying-kick halfling monk half-dragon warriors.
7. Once the magic-user has cast his spell, the player can go home.
6. People who pick pockets and locks are called thieves.
5. Nobody has ever heard of grappling rules - and don't notice the lack.
4. Ancient dragons have fewer hit points than a 1st level 4E character.
3. Arbitrary rules are just part of the mystery.
2. Graph paper.
1. Nobody ever made it into a computer game.

Kind of funny but a better list for 4th ed would look like this (I Think).

10. It's new and new is always better
9. No more need to go to the pesky bookstore or hobby store to meet people
8. you can play whatever half-race you want and to heck with world balance(I am waiting for a warlord half-beholder demon lord zombie)
7. no more need for mages/spell casters to think about spells and how to use them.
6. no more moral questions (Now my paladin can kill that puppy that was threating that kitten in the other room)
5. Now you can grapple that giant gelatinous cube
4. We will get rid of some types of dragons in the world but they may be in a rule book at some point.
3. All the rules will make total sense and there will never be a new rule book ever again (Yay!!!!)
2. No more will you have to spend 4 bucks on some paper you will now have to buy a $1000 laptop so you can take it to your friends.
1. why spend $15 a month on a computer game when we can take a roleplaying game that people already play and change it to the newest popular computer game.

I know this is a little late for April fools day but I couldn't let this pass with out throwing my two cents in.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-04-08, 12:09 AM
1. Nobody ever made it into a computer game.

Then what's NetHack (http://www.nethack.org)?

Mewtarthio
2008-04-08, 12:39 AM
8. you can play whatever half-race you want and to heck with world balance(I am waiting for a warlord half-beholder demon lord zombie)

What? :smallconfused: In 4e, all races will have detailed 10-level progressions and certain powers. That makes it harder to play an arbitrary non-PC race (you essentially have to homebrew it from scratch).

streakster
2008-04-08, 12:47 AM
5. Now you can grapple that giant gelatinous cube

And that, sir, is awesome.

Bleen
2008-04-08, 02:25 AM
Then what's NetHack (http://www.nethack.org)?

I thought Nethack was based off of 2e. But I never played 1e or 2e so I might be wrong. 2e WAS the THAC0 one, right? Or was that around earlier.
I usually just refer to it as "Tomb of Horrors: The Video Game".

Bryn
2008-04-08, 05:27 AM
9. No more need to go to the pesky bookstore or hobby store to meet people
2. No more will you have to spend 4 bucks on some paper you will now have to buy a $1000 laptop so you can take it to your friends.
1. why spend $15 a month on a computer game when we can take a roleplaying game that people already play and change it to the newest popular computer game.
...you do realise that the 4e online stuff is not compulsory, right? There will still be books, made of paper, which you can use to play around a tabletop, using dice and words - just like every other edition. :smallamused:

longtooth878
2008-04-08, 05:16 PM
...you do realise that the 4e online stuff is not compulsory, right? There will still be books, made of paper, which you can use to play around a tabletop, using dice and words - just like every other edition. :smallamused:

We will see... With the move of Dragon magazine to an online media, we will see if they don't have product that is only you can buy online. And if that does at least mediocre sales you will see more and more stuff that is online. Which is cool and all but it doesn't promote the "off line" community. :smallwink:

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-04-08, 05:38 PM
I thought Nethack was based off of 2e.

Well, the first version of NetHack (not just Hack) was released in 1987, two years before the release of 2e. Second edition AD&D was released about the same time as NetHack 3.0, and I doubt that there were any serious changes to the code base because of it.

But I never played 1e or 2e so I might be wrong. 2e WAS the THAC0 one, right? Or was that around earlier.

I haven't played either of them myself, but apparently THAC0 did exist in 1e, just to a lesser degree.

I usually just refer to it as "Tomb of Horrors: The Video Game".

Tomb of Horrors wishes it was NetHack. With the Tomb, there's never any doubt that you're going to die. With NetHack, you at least start out with the illusion of being able to win, and then you fall down the stairs & land on a cockatrice corpse. Five games in a row.

streakster
2008-04-08, 06:03 PM
We will see... With the move of Dragon magazine to an online media, we will see if they don't have product that is only you can buy online. And if that does at least mediocre sales you will see more and more stuff that is online. Which is cool and all but it doesn't promote the "off line" community. :smallwink:

So...why would they release something online only? You've got the monster entry or what have you on file, throw it in the next book. Have they ever said that they will offer online only content as anything more than a promotion?

Darth Mario
2008-04-08, 06:48 PM
My feeling is that the online content is going to be what Dragon magazine was plus what eTools TRIED to be, nothing more, nothing less. When eTools was first announced, basically every feature I've heard of in D&DI was supposed to be in it. Obviously, it got stripped out, because eTools became just a mediocre character generator.